Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: ?? Tender Annuals ??

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3201679

OK, this is a total newbie question -- but as im pretty new to all this gardening from seeds stuff...

what qualifies as a Tender Annual?

and how about, differences between tender annuals, tender perennials, etc.
Obviously something Hardy will withstand harsher/colder/frost weather... but again -- I'm a noob.

when i did my lil "google" i did find a list on a site for MN - so it was for zone 3-4... but i'm zone 5a.

i like things to be defined -- and i could not find a list of or description of -- tender annual.

TIA,

terese
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3202406

I think tender annuals are ones that need to be planted in the spring after last chance of frost. Hardier annuals can be planted the previous fall and then bloom the following year. I think that's what it is at least, but I don't really grow annuals so I'm not positive.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3202419

I believe that is right - that tender annuals cannot withstand any frost. Morning glories must be one because they are the first to go here, while other annuals like cosmos or zinnias hang around until a freeze.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
8:51 PM

Post #3202503

the thing that got me confused (more than usual) was that i was told impatiens were not tender, where here (Chicagoland) they turn to mush at the slightest hint of frost... to me, that is tender.

I'm doing morning glories (Heavenly Blue) for the first time, and cosmos too, but I cant ever recall having zinnias.

I'm pretty un-knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff (learning as i go)
In the past, if it was pretty, i'd plant it... for the most part i'd get the sun/shade part right.
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3202516

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening, Terese!

People have posted while I was writing this, so I apologize if it's restating what's been said. :-)
Oh, and I consider Impatiens to be tender, but please read on for more thoughts...

I think these terms are quite subjective. For example, Thompson & Morgan (seed company) uses the terms "hardy annual" and "half hardy annual." Which, in their catalog index, a hardy annuals are described as "Plants...[which]...do not need to be raised indoors but can be sown direct into their flowering positions in the garden in spring." Half hardy annuals have the description "Sown in early spring and given protection... Most HHA's are frost-tender and must not be planted outdoors until all danger of frost has passed."

To me a tender annual (which Thompson & Morgan would consider "half hardy annuals) would be a plant that will not tolerate any frost. Usually tender annuals like warm weather, and in some cases might not withstand temperatures below 40F. Examples I would include are moss rose (Portulaca), New Guinea Impatiens and morning glories.

I think of hardy annuals as the ones which will tolerate freezing temperatures and/or frost. I'd include pansies, snapdragons and ornamental cabbage among them.

A tender perennial usually refers to a plant that is truly perennial in climates with mild winters. In my hardiness zone, 8a, lantana, anise sage (Salvia guaranitica), and cannas usually survive our winters unless we have extreme or prolonged cold. The average minimum temperature for my zone is between 10 and 15F, but it usually only gets that cold one night each winter - if that often.

There are so many factors that can affect a plant's hardiness too, such as stress going into cold weather (i.e. lack of water, insect invasions). And, to top it all off, many times within one person's front and backyards, microclimates will exist that may be warmer or colder than other areas. A south-facing brick wall with a sloping grade away from the house will usually create a warmer garden spot than an open area that is the lowest point in the yard.

Hope I've helped and not confused the heck out of you! A wise gardener is one who knows she/he still has much to learn. :-)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3202536

nifty,

yes!! very helpful.

terese
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3206599

This is an example of a not-so-tender perennial...
It is a Geranium. I have no idea what variety it is. I don't normally like geraniums as they are so common, but this one was unique.
That is snow on the leaves.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 9:54 PM

Thumbnail by momo125
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America