Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Beginning a new veg garden

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Spirit017
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #3202808

I'm new to this site and I think it's wonderful! I am going to begin growing a vegetable garden on a site that at one time was a crop field of probably corn. It now is over-grown with weeds and brush. I am going to till the soil and add amendments. My questions are 1) should I choose a low place that can be a bit wet or higher ground that I may have to irrigate somehow in summer, and 2) what exactly should I add to the soil?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #3204974

Spirit, welcome! Before you add anything nutrient-wise, you should probably have your soil tested. Nearly every town has a state extension office that can give you a soil sample kit and instructions for collecting your sample(s), which are then sent to your state land-grant university's ag department for testing. Here in Tennessee, they'll even email you the results (fast and you can print them off, copy and paste them into a garden journal, etc.)

Fertilizers can help temporarily put back whatever your soil is missing, but if it's been over-farmed in the past, one of the best things you can do is add back organic matter - lots the first year and then a new layer every year - over time, it will not only replenish the nutrients but improve its texture - and organic matter will help your soil strike the right balance between drainage and moisture-retention.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3205102

how wet is wet? if it's too wet early, you can't really work in it.
Spirit017
Columbus, OH

February 26, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3227825

In answer to your how wet is wet... It is next to a spring fed pond and depending on the amount of rain, it could have standing water at times.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3228784

i'd be afraid that would be too wet. At the least, it sounds like it would slow you getting started in spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America