Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: Where are all the scrapbooking people?

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 53, Views: 307
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dbibb
Inverness, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
10:56 AM

Post #3213845

It seems this thread is extremely quiet. I know you are not out in the gardens. :)

Dee
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

February 22, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3214831

I'm still here. Just busy scrapbooking and not enough time for the computer too!!! Started a scrapbook for DD(31) for her birthday in May. I kept a ton of school stuff right form kindergarten up to university, so I am in the process of doing that. Have all the class pictures from elementary school and have finally figured out everyone's names with a little help from a couple of her classmates. Have individual pictures right from grade 1 to university also. It's fun putting this together. The worst part is figuring out just what to use.
Also, this is the first time i have done 12X12. I have always used 8 by 11, but just decided that some of these school pages are too big to use for that. I usually scan all my scrapbook pages but don't have a scanner to do 12X12. I might have to take all the pages and get them scanned and put on a disc so I have them.
Anyway, that's what I'm up to! Also continuing to make all my own cards. That's fun too, just figuring out exactly how to lay them out and make them look good. Love doing that!

Glenda
scrap_n_tell
Interlachen, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3215706

Oh my...caught again, LOL. By daylight, I am out in the yard trying to design/develop some new gardens in this blank slate. Wanna come over and help? I've only unpacked about one-third of my craft boxes so far, but I'm getting around to it in between shipments of live worms, seeds, and bulbs arriving daily...
dbibb
Inverness, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3216207

OK...so if you live in Florida...you might be out in the yard. :)

While I would love to come & help...I don't believe I can leave my third graders long enough right now.

Dee
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3226272

Dee,

All my scrapbooking has been tucked away since the birth of my daughter last fall. I treasure our time together yet dream of the day I can put all her photos in a scrapbook. I'm thinking...um...YEARS from now? =) But I write on all the backs so I won't be lost when the time finally comes.
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

February 26, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #3226638

Tir, good for you for keeping track of dates on your pictures. My husband told me 31 years ago to always write on the back of pictures. Well, guess what, I didn't do that!! Well, maybe for some, but certainly not for all. But one thing I have done now is I have scanned all my pictures. It took me all winter two years ago, but I now have over 12,000 pictures scanned onto my computer. That sounds like a lot, huh?? Well, I actually did all of his sisters' pictures too, plus all my parents and his parents pictures that we have. Plus all their slides. And I think there are still a couple of boxes around that haven't been done yet. It's a never ending process, but so good to have permanent records of pictures. When it comes time for you to do your daughter's scrapbook, you will be very well prepared!!

Glenda
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #3226938

Glenda,

Thanks for the compliments and motivations. I think about her scrapbook once a week or better! Thinking back to my stay at home wife days I was getting like 10 pages done a day! And they are awesome! At least I have a scrap table I can leave out and set up but it's having time to sit there...no matter...I want to enjoy what is already flying by with baby here...almost 4 months old now!

Very wise of your DH! Most dh's could care less about that I'd think. Amazing how many pics you have on your computer! I'm not computer savvy but always worry we are filling it up with to many pics and ROFLOL we don't even have an eighth what you have!

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

February 26, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3228103

Tir, I'm guessing in a few more months you will be in a dangerous zone if you leave your scrap table out with a toddler roaming about!!! LOL
Enjoy your baby while she is this age!!! Mine are 31 and 29 now, and I am having so much fun with this scrapbook I am putting together. For instance, I have no idea why my daughter is not in her Grade 4 class picture. Just noticed it yesterday when I was putting that page together. I'm guessing she must have been sick that day. We DO have her individual picture. And report cards are such fun to look at!!

Glenda
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3228600

Glenda,

That's funny on the class pic! What a good mom, you saved report cards! I had to save my own memorabelia but at least I have it. =)
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

February 27, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3228889

Tir, yes I can't believe I saved all this stuff. A large Rubbermaid tote for each of the kids. I have artwork coming out my ears, some good some bad. Notes from teachers, certificates, list sof books she read in Grade 1 and 2, Valentines cards...and on and on and on... Of course there's way more stuff for the early years. It's been interesting picking through it and deciding what to use. And of course, I will hardly put a dent in the rubbermaid tote, and I'm sure I will have to use 3 scrapbooks. I'm heading to the store tomorrow to find extenders for my post bound books. I've never used them before so need to make sure I can get extensions. I bought scrapbooks at Costco a couple of months ago, 19.99 for 3 12X12 books, suede covered with two slots on the front, one for a picture, one for a saying. I really like them and the cost is great compared to the stores.
So...you saved a lot of your stuff??????? Such fun you will have when you start digging through it!! Enjoy.

Glenda
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #3230599

NEAT---had NO idea Costco sold albums!?!?!

What I buy is a 100-pager from Hobby Lobby, at their regular /12 off sales I get it for $30 I think and it has the faux leather cover. Only comes in dark navy, black or burgundy though. And I quickly learned (grrr) about lignin free. These albums are NOT thus the pages will yellow with light and age. But I just buy the acid-free/lignin-free white cardstock and insert those instead so now it works.

Yes, I saved some things. When my parents moved from the childhood home a couple years back would you believe Mom threw out a kindergarten made plaster hand mold I had made!!!!! Yep! My lil' brother (10 at the time) trash-picked it for me. Talk about trash to TREASURE!!!!!

I met someone who saved their daughters holiday crafts/decorations she made in school and to this day (she's married now) her parents still put this up for each holiday around their home!!!! So endearing and I plan to be just as sentimental with my babies. =)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2007
9:53 AM

Post #3297429

I decided to do decorative painting on mdf in form of scrapbooking albums..busy at work on that, when finished then I'll be watching these creative posts...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3303997

Betty, you'll have to start your own thread to show us your progress!
dwerland
Nipomo, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3307424

I also purchased some albums at Costco 2 12x12 albums for $15.99 so I bought 2 sets. I am just starting to get away from the Creative Memories albums. It takes me a while to get used to change.

My daddy is dying and I want to make an album honoring his life.
I will try to spend some more time on this thread.

I had to wait in the for my husband and son the other day. I had a small stashof scrapbooking stuff in my car. ( No I am not so organized that I had it planned that way, I just hadn't taken that last tote out of my car from the last time I went scrapping with friends) and I trimmed and mounted (labeled on back)at least a dozen photos. It was a good feeling to do even that small bit.

Dayna
PS I have been in the garden, it was a lovely 75 degrees today!
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3455157

Well,, 129 pages later and I am finally done the book. Well, actually it is 4 books, but who's counting! I am very happy with the final result and hope DD likes it. I wanted to keep a digital copy of the pages, but it was goign to be too costly to get them scanned, so I took pictures of all the pages, and they turned out pretty well. I will try and post a few here just so you get an idea of what I have been doing.
This first one is an example of the class ones that I did, from kindergarten to Grade 6.

Glenda

Thumbnail by ggd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3455160

One of the report card pages, with some of her own artwork.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3455166

A Christmas workbook page.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3455174

Printing and writing. Some of the pages look a bit crooked, but they aren't really. Just the way the picture was taken.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3455180

Field day and exercise.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3455184

Halloween and some more of her own artwork.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3455187

Band.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #3455192

Start of some artwork pages.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #3455194

Grad

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3455200

This is one page in the book that DD did herself. I am just incorporating it into her scrapbook memories.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3455207

Choir.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3455214

Another report card page.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #3455222

Found this wonderful sticker poem to start out the book.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3455228

Well, I think you get the idea. Now, I will probably have to do this all over again for my son next. Sigh... I think I will give myself a rest for a few months!!! : - )
dwerland
Nipomo, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
1:25 PM

Post #3455250

Great job! 129 pages is a huge undertaking! I especially liked the field day page.Thanks for sharing it with us. What size album did you work with? Years ago when I first started to scrapbook, I had my step kids draw a handprint on a page, then list thier likes and dislikes, friends teachers and such. This lasted three years, and none of thoses pages made it into thier albums. Although in theroy I think they were a good idea.
Dayna
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
2:12 PM

Post #3455417

Thanks Dayna. Yes, it was a big job and I am glad it's done. This was the first time I used 12 X 12 pages. I had always used 8 by 11, but I just felt that some of the things I had to put in the book woudl just be too large. Any of the report cards would just have barely fit. So I am happy I changed to the 12 by 12 size. I never used them before because I felt that size book would just be harder to store, but I guess you can always find a place for them.
Yes, I think your handprint idea was good in theory. Whatever happened to the pages that they did that they didnt' make it into their books??
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3455424

This is one of the pages I put in also. I think she must have been in kindergarten when she did this. I found the handprint in with her other stuff, so just thought I would incorporate it on the page.

This message was edited May 2, 2007 2:37 PM

Thumbnail by ggd

dwerland
Nipomo, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3456361

I have a bunch of loose pages floating around. Some that were started and never finished, some that I did out of the album with the intent to put them into an album. I have just switched from the Creative Memories Strap Bound Albums to the more cost effective post bound that you can find everywhere. I got a great deal at Costco. Two 12 x 12 albums for $15.97. I was easily paying $35.00 for one album.
I have tried the 8 x 10 albums, but I found them too small that I would have to put too many pages into them. So I have used the 8 x 10 for special albums like the summer of 96 and such. I actually just started a Christmas Album. Just Christmas, and I am including the photo cards people send out at the holidays and their letters and stuff, this way I can put all that in there and not be too worried that it is over stuffing an album.
lil_beans
Montgomery, AL

May 2, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3456377

Hello to all you Scapbookers! I would like to ask one question.For someone who is just starting (or I should say trying) Scrapbooking, where do I begin? I am not a crafty person, I try, but never like anything I do. I can crochet and that about all. LOL!
I wanted to try to make some scrapbooks. I have all kinds of things, pictures, recipes handed down tome, LOTS & Lots of RECIPES! Can anyone help this dummy! Thanks!
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3456454

Hi lil_beans. Just going to add a link to an old thread that might help you with some ideas on what to get, and how to get started. You don't have to be that crafty at all. Once you get going, the ideas come fast and furious. Recipes will be a very interesting thing to scrapbook. Are they all hand written??

http://davesgarden.com/place/t/484596/

Glenda
lil_beans
Montgomery, AL

May 2, 2007
7:15 PM

Post #3456481

Thak you ggd for all your advice. Yes most of them are hand written. I took care of an elderly lady back home in Sunny Southern ca. where we just moved from a couple of years ago, and she gave me a salad cookbook and her recipe box. I believe there are some paper clippings of recipes in the book as well. She has recently passed away at the age of 100, so these paper clippings are from some time ago. I have so many other recipes, I just wish I had someone to do the scrapbooking with.
Thakns again for your help! Hope to hear from you again soon!
Cindy
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #3456556

Cindy, it might be a good idea for you to do digital copies of your newspaper clipping recipes, so that if the real newspaper clippings deteriorate, then you still have a good copy. I have been doing some of this lately, scanning newspaper clippings from my son's hockey days. Foolishly, at that time, I put them in those sticky photo albums, and of course, now I can't get them out without wrecking them. So I am scanning them, and really, the scanned copy is so much better and clearer, and you can do them so they don't have the yellowing. I guess with the recipes, you MIGHT want to have them as authentic as possible with the yellowing.

Glenda
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3456561

ggd: wonderful work!
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

May 2, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3456658

Thanks Tir!!! What have you been up to??
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3456952

wishing i had time to scrapbook. LOL! baby keeps me busy. hardly a spare moment. =)
lil_beans
Montgomery, AL

May 2, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3457241

Thanks for the great advice ggd. I would of never thought of it otherwise, I would of made the same terrible mistake right off. I am so sorry that happened to you. I have to make myself sit down and do it. I Thakn you again for your advice!
Cindy
dwerland
Nipomo, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3457512

You can get little pockets that are made out of acid free lignin free polypropleen (spelling) I cannot for the life of me think of the name of them. You are able to put a newspaper clipping and a photo on the same page without the acid and such crawling toward the photo. It keeps it safe and protected yet at the same time allows you to display both.

I found that simple pages with a simple boarder and some stickers are classic looking. It took me a long time to get into all the little embellishments.Even now I don't use them that much.

Dayna
Manypets
Essex Junction, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 4, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3463758

Hi, all:

Just popping in for a second to let you know there are other folks that are addicted to this craft. I began doing this sometime during the past fall. My first one was a small one of my cats. Now I have four books going at one time! LOL!

I'm kind of new here and I may be popping in and out to say hi now and then. I have to admit, I am also quite busy in the gardens right now. I have a yard full of daffodils at the moment. Tulips are ready to bloom too. I take a lot of pictures of them so that I can use them in scrapbooks in the future.

I will check back and say hi again soon.
dbibb
Inverness, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3522800

Just popped back in to say hello!!!

I've been extremely busy! My dh says I have waaaaaaaay too many irons in the fire. But, there is never a dull moment around my house!

If you would like to see some of my work...take this link!!

http://www.creativexpress.com/community/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8234
atooj
Ontario, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3696597

I'm out here as well - in sunny, hot California. I began with card making a year ago April. Since then I have completed quite a few cards and two 6x6 scrapbooks - I'm exceptionally slow. Two years ago I would have told you I would NEVER do this kind of thing. Now, I really enjoy it!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
7:02 AM

Post #4007337

Hi, dbibb
This is something I want to start. We have some wonderful vacation pictures. Could you folks post your best vacation pages, so I can get and idea how to proceed.
Thanks,
Teresa
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 23, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #4008256

Hey, I just found this forum. I am fairly new to DG and this is my first time I noticed a scrapbook forum!! One more reason to stay with DG. Just what I needed!! ha ha
My name is Sheri and I have been scrapbooking for about 4 years. My daughter got me into it. My diningroom was quickly infiltrated by my supplies. This fall my DD left for college and I promptly took over her room. I did leave her futon bed in there so she can still sleep when she comes home. Oh, and while she was cool with me taking over her room she had this attachment to the walls. Didn't want me to paint them. So I didn't paint them. Not for now anyway. Maybe in a couple of years when her attachment dwindles.
Here are some shots of my room. What do you think?

Thumbnail by sjweld

sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 23, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #4008261

another angle The top cabnet at the foot of the bed holds all my 12 X 12 papers organized by general colors.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by sjweld

sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 23, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #4008271

This is more the sewing corner of my hobby room. And yes, I do plan on repainting around the windows. I just got busy enjoying scrapin'.

Thumbnail by sjweld

sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 23, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #4008293

here is the peg board my DH put up for me last weekend.

Thumbnail by sjweld

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
6:01 AM

Post #4010712

sj, my DD that is in college would be right at home. She has always loved crafts. I have a sewing machine but I need a base for it. Your room looks very organized. Congrats.
Teresa in KY
dwerland
Nipomo, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2007
6:01 AM

Post #4014528

your craft roomlooks great! I have major storage envy. My girlfriends are planning to go scrappboooking at a lake house next month, Looking forward to it

dayna
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 25, 2007
12:52 PM

Post #4014941

OH! Now I am envious!! A weekend away scrapbooking with friends and at a lake house no less! Have fun and be sure to post pics. As for me I am busy trying to get caught up on my day care pics. before family day tomorrow. LOTS more to do. (I have a daycare/preschool in my house so I want to be able to display the scrapbook for all to view).
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #4049882

There's an in not far from here that specializes in scrapper's retreats. It's the Zane Trace Inn. http://www.zanetraceinn.com/ They have a big crop room with all kinds of tools and guests can use it 24/7. The owners even provide snacks. How neat is that? Some gals I know from a local store's crops went there for a weekend and had a great time.

This sounds soooo fun. I'd love to do this with friends sometime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Scrapbooking weekends

The cropping room is a glorious 520 square feet-plenty of elbow room on 12 individual cropping tables to spread out and create your works of art. The lighting was specifically chosen to eliminate shadows! Cropping room There is a bathroom conveniently located in the foyer, close to the cropping room. Rock n Roll or croon to the oldies while you crop as you play your favorites on the state of the art stereo system. Each table has a trash bag and cup holder and the rolling chairs are very comfortable.

For only $250 per person, your visit with us includes: Friday evening dinner and late evening snack; Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a late evening snack; Sunday brunch; a welcome gift; access to hot tub and exercise equipment; clean, comfortable beds; fluffy towels; access to special scrapbooking equipment such as copier, sizzix machine, computer, printer, broadband internet service, and miscellaneous scrapbooking/stamping supplies just in case you forgot something!

* Wishblade (computerized personal media cutter)
* 2 Fastenaters
* 2 Silent setters
* Eyelet setting table
* Cardstock
* High Speed Internet
* Photo printer and photo paper "

sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 6, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #4055030

Wow!! That sounds like a great place to go. I wish there were something like that closer to here. I am totally envious.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America