Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Grow Lights

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #3214489

Now that the sun is out...yeah!...do I still need grow lights for my seeds?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3217548

Howdy, Pinger!

How old are your seedlings? And are they in an area where they get all day sun (10-12 hrs)? If they are still young plants and not getting a judicial amount of sunshine I believe I'd supplement the daylight with a few hrs of artificial light, just to encourage them ever onward!

Shoe
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3218088

Howdy to you!
They're a little over a week old and they get a strong 8 to 9 hours of full sun...and it's the warmest room in the house.
What do ya think?
Pinger
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3242684

How're the seedlings doing Pinger? Mine are eating me out of house and home. It's been warm with plenty of rain here the last 2 weeks and everything thinks spring is here and is growing like crazy.

Outside I have Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Swiss Chard, Brussel Sprouts, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Spinach, Kale, Mustard, Peas, Radishes, Carrots, Onions, and Beets growing.

Inside I have Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, Basil, Sage, Marjoram, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Catnip, Stevia, and Coffee plus a bunch of flowers my DW planted growing.

Outside the Asparagus, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Asian Pears, and Cherries are all starting to sprout/leaf out.

Tomorrow I'm going to plant Fava Beans and more Broccoli and just wander around and watch stuff grow :)

Jeff
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3243865

Hi Jeff...thanks for checking in!
WOW...sure sounds like you're on the ball!
So far, I've got my tomatoes, peppers, basil, dill, parsley, nasturtium, chives, borage started and a few watermelon seeds to try for some early fruiting. I haven't planted anything outside yet...soil won't be ready for about another 3 weeks.
But I'm so excited! I've almost got my garden plans finished and can't wait to share with everyone.
Stay in touch!
Pinger
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3244984

I don't know if I'd say 'on the ball exactly'... It's like a disease I just can't help planting something everytime I'm in the garden. What is borage? Never heard of that before...
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3245541

Yeah! I get to share something with you this time...woohoo!
Borage are young, tender green leaves that are used for flavoring salads, lemonade and other 'cooling' drinks. The also have blue flowers that attract bees. It grows to about 18 inches. Borage is an excellent companion plant for tomatoes, squash and strawberries. The plant actually improves the flavor of tomatoes growing nearby.

And now for some words but not mine...
The bright blue, star-shaped flowers (which bloom most of the summer) make borage one of the prettiest herb plants, thought the dark green leaves are rather plain. The flavor of the leaves resembles that of cucumber. The plant will grow to a height of about 18 inches, and spread about 12 inches. This hardy annual has a messy, straggling habit. It is a native of northern Europe, and grows well in the temperate regions of North America.

Cultivation

Borage is not a fussy plant, but the richer the soil, the bushier the plant will be. It prefers full sun, and needs protection from wind as it is easily blown over. Seeds can be sown throughout the season, and once growth is established, it will continue to seed itself. Place plants close together so they can support each other. A plant or two in an indoor pot will provide leaves all winter, but it will need lots of sun.

Culinary Uses
Borage flowers and leaves are the traditional decoration for gin-based summer cocktails, and may be set in ice cubes to garnish other drinks.

The flowers and young leaves may be used to garnish salads. dips, and cucumber soups.

Candied borage flowers make attractive cake decorations.

Chopped leaves can be added to soups and stews during the last few minutes of cooking.

The leaves can be cooked with cabbage leaves (two parts cabbage, one part borage.)

Borage does not dry well for culinary use.

Medicinal Use
Because it is a tonic plant for the adrenal glands, borage provides an invaluable support for a stressful lifestyle.

Borage is rich in minerals, especially potassium.

A tea made with borage helps to reduce fevers and ease chest colds.

An infusion of borage acts as a galactogogue, promoting the production of milk in breastfeeding mothers.

Other Uses
Borage makes an excellent facial steam for improving very dry, sensitive skin.

The flowers may be dried to add color to potpourri.

So there you have it! Might want to think about growing some for yourself!
Pinger
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3245637

Cool, I will definetly try some. I need little encouragement to plant anything. I planted Stevia because my mom who is borderline diabetic thinks it is a better sweetner than sugar or any of the artificial sweetners. Also because we are too far north for sugar cane and too far south for sugar beets. I'm also planning to plant Sorghum because I only hear about it in old books.

I planted coffee because it won't grow outside in my zone... I planted Kale because it is the way I pronounce my last name. I planted Nastursiums, Marigold, Mint and Pennyroyal because I read their smell keeps bugs away. I planted Hydrangea, Rose of Sharon, Snowball bush and Canna because my dad gave me some. I planted Fava beans because I read they can be planted like peas and I admire peas because A) They grow almost all winter here and B) They make their own nitrogen.

Do you have or can you borrow a digital camera? The only thing I like more than watching plants grow is pictures of them growing :)
Jeff

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America