Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Heat Mats

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3214988

I use heat mats every year starting my seeds. Lots of seeds require different temperature to germinate at. That is where the temperature control comes in handy. You can get away with some seeds without the temperature control, but seeds like dahlias and geraniums and many more require a certain temperature to germinate at.

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening!"

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2007
12:17 PM

Post #3216961

thanks for the tip -- i have never germinated seeds in the house - and have coleus - so i may try them indoors, where i'd have to get a mat.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3219053

I've been browsing eBay this evening, and i see the thermostats are about $35
and heat mats about $22 (ya get slammed with s/h though)

these prices sound reasonable?

i was looking at one, the heat mat with the flat, insert mat and 6" cover for 33+s/h... then I'd have to add the thermostat if i wanted one.
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3226838

The big box stores (like Home Depot and Lowes) often carry a few this time of year, close to their seeds. But they do go quickly! They usually run around $25 or so.
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3266471

Here is a website from one of the companies that I do business with. They are good.
I bought all of my heat mats from them years ago.

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/ViewSimpleSearch2-Start

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening"
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #3303174

I've got a little 'jiffy7 heated greenhouse' the size of a flat. Little heat mat in a plastic tray with a plastic tray and clear dome cover. Keeps nicely on the counter in the main floor bathroom. lol

So far this year, I'm on the third 'round' of seed starting, starting with a full flat (about 72) strawberry seeds, then half a flat of asparagus, the other half of red romaine lettuce. These have now been potted up and take up 3 flats in my light garden. the little strawberries popped up within a week (according to the pkg, germination time was 20-30 days...) delightful surprize!

The heated greenhouse is now poppin' up the 24 peppers, and the rest of the 48 tomatoes I put in on Sunday...

OH, the joy of little green sprouts...

Another couple of weeks and the outside greenhouse should be up and running...

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 27, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4233074

If you need to get varying temps on a heat mat, you might need more than one mat, I lay a larger seed tray on top of my mat, fill it with horticulture sand, and then lay my smaller trays, pots etc onto the sand inside the larger try, the cooler germination seeds get placed away from the hotter part and the hotter seeds go directly over the heated mid part of the sand tray, it works well and it is easier to water the seeds from below rather than onto the seeds/foliage which can cause damping off trouble. you need a large tray that has no holes in it or you will loose the sand and water. you can also lay newspaper or glass over the tray if it is required for shade or extra heat as the sand holds the heat and spreads it as well. good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Knockout Roses MrNvestor 6 Mar 26, 2007 6:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America