Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum!

By popular request:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/694892/

A word of caution - no political discussion will be allowed! Let's stick to the facts!

Dave

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool Dave... Thanks! Tomorrow maybe I can get a couple of threads started.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't see it being too controversial, really. A lot of it is about health and saving money, and if folks aren't interested they'll just ignore it, I guess.

Greensboro, AL

I am looking forward to the development of these concepts.

So far I learned to use the cardboard boxes from on-line shopping as a base for lasagna beds. My rabbit Henry does the rest.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Cool beans! This will be good. I have been good at recycling, but I know there's a lot more to find out.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I shall lurk and read

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dave! This should be very informational. Enviromental health is so important and we DG'ers CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Lana

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

This is right up my alley, and topical because I'm mulling the parameters of a rehab.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I remember the SOE [Sustaining Our Environment] forum on "GW". After recycling and basics were exhaused, it seemed to settle down into a "pecking order" of heavy hitters who looked down on ones of more moderate "political" persuasions. I hope this one is more genteel.

In my opinion it would be better to have 100 million people improving their environment genteely than 1 thousand people doing headstands.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 2:15 PM

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Summerkid do you want to decode " mulling the parameters of a rehab." ? I don't think I understand what you said LOL

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

River, how about "taking a sledgehammer to the walls in frustration"?

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness how about going outside to deal with your frustration. May be less damage.

Ida, MI

Summerkid, I feel your frustration. LOL I have been rehabing my place slowely for about ten years. Take it slow, one step at a time, enjoy the process because it never ends. But its fun to improve your little place in the world if you take it in small bites and celebrate your successes. It gives you added confidence to take on the next project.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I think Summerkid is a person who takes life in big gulps not sips. LOL

Only jesting here. Summerkid is a wonderful vibrant person with amazing energy. I hope someday to meet her.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2007 10:01 AM

Ida, MI

Its easy for anyone to get discouraed when confronted with a big project. I do it myself. I just have to keep reminding myself to just put one foot in front of the other. LOL

As I always say, when someones asks where they should begin...........You start at the beginning and finish at the end!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Great words of Wisdom Janet

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

how 'bout, 'eat your elephant one bite at a time'......

Yes Cindy, the point being there is no real beginning which we can put our finger on. As long as we start somewhere the rest will follow, I often go out with a job in mind and something else gets done instead, but progrees has been made. You can then say, well I didn't get done what I had intended but at least I did something!

That was in drivenbonkers words 'one bite at a time' but I don't know about the elephant, it puts an image in my mind of something huge and uneatable! Perhaps the clue is in the name, has drivenbonkers driven themselves bonkers with such a large goal? Tehe, such an image!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Riverland, surely you DO jest. But by all means come visit so I can put you to work.

This is my 2nd rehab project. The factor I hadn't counted on is that I went from a shack that I transformed into a gorgeous house over 10 years into living in a shack again but having gotten used to the beautiful place.

You forget what it was like to deal with poor water pressure & cabinet doors that swing free & conk you on the head.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I haven`t Summer, I have bad water well pressure on my shared well and we are the only one with bad pressure and we are the second closes to the well, no bueno. You know my landscape project has been a nightmare further frustrated by my dh`s desire to pay for someone to do the sprinklers which isn`t being done so the big troubles continue. I need to paint my house and a lot of other things to match in that same side yard. I grow faint. I need to win the lottery.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I just found out that horse manure breaks down clay soil really well. some guy told my friend he never has a problem with his horses walking on the hard clay because he tractors in all his horse dookey and it just breaks it down to a soft powder that stays soft even in the rainy times.

We have a lot of wind turbines here, no one knows where the power is being used, I heard it is not actually adding to the grid. I wouldn`t mind seeing a wind turbine in my area every 10 homes or so and as we all share a well, why not share the wind power together, it is windy here all year around to one degree or another. It would be more cost effective for a group to go in on a $ 20k tubine. We live in a part of town that is all acre to 5 acre parcels mostly so it would be more acceptable. What do you guys think?

Great idea, Dawn. How about starting a new thread on wind power in this forum and post your query there?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Man Darius you just are the Dg woman about town. You are everywhere it`s like your omnipresent. lol Ok I will.

Dawn, it's just that I've been on DG quite a LONG time, and know a little about a lot of subjects, LOL.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I wished you were coming to our RU especially since Dave is coming too.

LOL, 3,000 miles is a bit too far for me.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

recon?

Recon??? what's that?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

ya know southern slang for yeah it is a bit far, lol

LOL, not in MY southern slang... never heard it before.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe it's more like 'do ya reckon?'

Yes!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

The forum description that appears at the top of the page has NO mention of alternative energy - anything about energy at all!! Neglect that and you can forget about all the other things mentioned.

Knoxville, MD

As a favor, I am about to test a 100% post-consumer paper mulch product in my garden. The manufacturer states that it is 100% free of toxins, such as certain printers inks. I have used newspapers, but was always concerned at what seemed to be (by the smell) anaerobic activity underneath the layers. I am horrified by the tiny bits of plastic that were left in my soil after using weed block films and have vowed "never again." I am interested in hearing from anyone on this topic, regarding experiences, insights, etc. Thank you!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I imagine but do not know for sure how it works, but if you can make a healthy lasagna garden out of it anywhere, I`m thinking it is a good option. Paper comes from trees and organisms live in trees so I think that it seems a great safe and earth friendly plan.

Knoxville, MD

Thanks, hellnzn11, I am going the lasagna route and will report back on the recipe and the result.

Victor gardener has a good point. .some tips for alternative energy from my way of thinking. . .avoiding lawn surface area, certainly. . .planting native varieties. . .heating your greenhouse with solar-heated water-filled drums. . .using whatever has the least processing and most utility. . .raised beds over double-dug foundations so you need only add mulch in growing season, compost overwinter, and dispense with seasonal tilling (gas guzzling). Encourage earthworms!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I agree with all but the tilling. Once you have an area going you can but for prepping an area, in this clay you need to to ammend the clay. Don`t all attack me. I`m still waiting for my lasagna to meld into soil. I need a pitchfork.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I deleted a thread tonight because it was politics, through and through.

Please respect the one stipulation that Dave launched this thread with. It doesn't really matter where you put your beliefs on the political spectrum, that type of political jousting is not allowed here.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Suspect it was mine......... Sorry Terry. Sorry Dave., Sorry all that have may been on that thread.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 10:40 PM

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 10:44 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.