Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Sustainable Alternatives: Recycled fireplace reconstituted stone blocks.

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 19, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3218104

A left-over from the 1980's fashionable stone look alike wall, one of those trends, people used to make a shelf at the sides of fireplaces supported by a useless blocked in wall.

The space underneath was totally unusable, mine was ripped out and replaced with the same wood top, and the space underneath is now useable with a pair of home made oak doors attached to a simple framework of pieces of wood screwed to the walls.

The stone blocks have been used to support a built up area under my Horse Chestnut tree. It was simple to do, the blocks laid first in a semi circle, no base required as the shape holds it up without extra support. Some cement to hold them together, and presto, a cheap way of making a built up bed.

To fill it I had a lot of soil and leaves dug from a drain which runs along the front of the property and had been dumped around the base of the tree, on top of piles of leaves which were pushed there until the compost bins were made.

I grow ferns, hellebores, cyclamen, crocus, tiarella and pulmonaria there, which suits all of those plants with the gritty soil and leaves. When the tree is dormant and bare of leaves in the winter the plants get the required water, and more dryness in the summer with shade.

I have been thinking I would like to make it look more natural but hadn't come up with an idea until I saw bonitin's concreted recyled stones and bricks which are moss covered. Now all I need to do is cover it with rough cement and rub in the dirt! I will have an ancient wall!

The link to show bonitin's structure

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3214815

And method

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3217823

Has anyone else done something similar?

renwings
Sultan, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3218352

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/617600/

I cam across this in the Pacific Northwest Forum. Similar idea, different application.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3218531

That's great, thanks renwings!

I had always thought I wanted stones on top, I had ideas of buying some large decorative stones but they are expensive, and I didn't think they would suit the wall, or the wall wouldn't suit the stones! I have quite a few small stones I have dug from the garden but I do use the top of the wall to stand a lot of pots on, so I have changed my mind on that.

A seat is also an idea I had, if I can find some suitable wood I may do that in one spot as I often feel like I could do to sit for a while.

I noted the mention of putting soil around a tree trunk, my tree was quite depleted of soil around it, and the mixture is shallow with plenty of leaves. Some tree roots have grown up into it so it probably appreciated the top up.

I have a photo of it in in full early spring before most things have grown, but you get the pic...

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #3223650

Great idea, Wallaby, to recycle the stone blocks from your fireplace in using it to built up a raised area around your chestnut tree.
This is also an example of a situation where more than just one goal is attained. You've got now a more beautiful and useful fireplace than before,
You've got a raised bed where the new plants as well as the tree feel happy and you don't have the trouble, and perhaps the costs, of getting rid of the
stone blocks and with some extra you can have a nice sitting and resting place under the tree.

My suggestion is to try to make the wall a little thicker, it will get thicker anyway if you put a layer of cement over.
If you have some old tiles somewhere you want to get rid off, you could also use them to create a sitting place on top of your wall.
they can be perfectly integrated in the wall if your first put some fresh cement on top, then push in the tile or tiles (depending how big you want the sitting place), then cover up the tile and the joints all over with more cement, so they form a unity. It would be nice if you let the tile(s) stick over the edge of the wall a little for the aesthetics. If you have many little stones and bits of pieces you want to get rid off you can push them in the cement,
then less cement is needed.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3223985

Now that is an idea, I do have a good pile of stones which I can put in the cement. A thicker wall would look better, and my neighbour has some old thick quarry tiles he got from a job he did, hmmm, I don't think he has a use for them! Thanks bonitin!
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #3224607

Happy to be of help wallaby!

Perhaps, you could also leave some holes here and there on the side of the wall that can be a growing place for all kinds of little plants, that like to grow in these conditions, but then the base of the wall is better a little thicker than the top, for the rain to have better access to them.

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3224617

Little holes sound a good idea, for little bugs to hide in too!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3224699

I wish you could see the living wall we have at work. It is 600ft long and just chock full of living plants. I am trying to find a good picture of it but having little luck.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3224791

Is that outside pepper? That is a very long wall! Any pic will do, or perhaps you could take one? I would love to see it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3224800

I always try to incorporate small pockets for plants in a long wall. I like it, and so do they!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3224810

You will get one pciture of the wall when you click on Island Garden. You will know it because it is purple. I will take pictures this spring when everything starts greening up. But this is a 360 degree view of different parts of the garden.

www.360kc.com/Attractions/PowellGardens.html
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3224952

darius, what sort of plants do you grow in your wall?

pepper, I clicked on the link, twice, and got the internet shut down twice. The picture show at the top was loading first time, second time I let it load, third time I realised it was the Island Garden anyway! But I didn't see a purple wall! Still, they are very interesting gardens.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #3224966

It was a wall covered in lavender colored plants. It can be hard to miss. lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3224988

Heck, my internet froze when I tried to go to the link. Twice.

Wallaby, mostly small plants like thyme.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #3225130

That is weird. I had no problem and I am on dial-up. Computers have attitude problems sometimes. LOL
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3225231

I tried the link again, looked at the one you said and I still can't see the wall, there's a path way between the lakes with plants at the edges.

I went back again to look at the second link again, there was a short wall there or somewhere, I didn't allow the pic show to load, clicked on the next link and got shut down again!

darius I can imagine Thyme would be tempting to rub for the fragrance, it likes sun though. I have ferns that may like to live there, not sure what else would in the shade. I wonder if there is a herb that smells nice and likes shade, which will also stand dryness, tall order!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3225254

Think that's a tall order? I have a spot where it gets no rain and is in shade. It is under an overhang at the back of the house and there are walnut trees, oak trees, and another big tree providing shade there. I want to plant something there but don't know of anything that can handle that tall order.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3226185

Ivy?

I found a list of 10 plants just for your spot!

http://landscaping.about.com/od/plantsforshadyareas/a/dry_shade_plant.htm

I have Pachysandra terminalis, it's slow for a start then spreads but not at a rapid pace, has white flowers in spring, dwarf, good ground cover, evergreen.
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3227732

Pepper,

I think that there isn't a plant that can survive without any water at all!
Even the toughest among the drought and shadow tolerant plants will give up at the end, unless you help them in providing them with water once in a while. In fact no life is sustainable without water. (It is the element where all life originates from!).

You could think of an alternative to use that space, perhaps creating a nice sitting place, looking at your garden, even when it's raining, because you stay dry!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3228291

I don't mind watering them, they just won't get rain. I would create a spot to sit but the view of my neighbor's is not pretty and not blocked. So that leaves plants. lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America