2007 ORVG TRADE THREAD

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

It looks like the ORVG Round Up will be June 2, 2007, at Higginsport, Ohio, providing the park is available.

This will be the thread for Plant Trading.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2007 9:58 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If everyone else's plants got whacked as hard as mine...... think we all will need some Perennials.....
My neighbors 'may' just be running to FL before this shindig.. if so I'll have access to some nice big annuals.
Too early yet to know what I'll have in the Tropicals ...... stock EE's for sure ..... possibly a few surprises...

Ric

Athens, OH

I am going to use this post here to track what I have to share, what I have promised, and what I want. I'll keep updating it.

Tropicals to share (I will have canna, EE, and calla I think).

Annuals from seed (will post list here later).

Perennials from seed (will post here later).

Perennials from the garden (will post here later).

Things I would like (to be updated later).

ROX

Good Idea Rox, I will have to do some exploring to figure out what I will have. But just posted to reserve this place.

Dusty, a chick from my hens and chicks. Trading for coneflower, if they come up!.

From Rox, night blooming jasmine and daylilies, for something on her list.

Jazz, wants sun coleus.

Melissa is bringing me nicotina.

Ric promised LOV

Jazz, torch lily

Marcy-Ornamental cabbage

This message was edited May 25, 2007 10:42 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have no idea what I'll have by then. I have lots to divide and still have not gotten orders in for my sideline. ;)

I'll park here and fill in later.

I'll probably have ornamental grasses, daylilies and whatever crazy cuttings and seeds I start.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll have maters! LOL
I'm sure some other things too, and Ric just gave me an idea. uh oh.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

What? There be grass?
I got your email Ric.

Seriously, I don't think the groper & I will be able to attend. There are alot of birthdays in June & It's all my family! So sad, but i will be sure to barge right in if the plans change, or they all go out of town.... LOL
Abigail

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Abigail! Good to here from you!
The grasses we got from you last year are doing well!
Well they were last Fall anyway...lol!

Hope your schedule frees up... we'd Love to see you guys again!

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

No Abigail? No groper?? My plants are so sad!!! They were looking forward to a good groping. :)

Tell your family that an angry mob of gardeners will show up and destroy their yard. Not like we'd make you pick or anything.....

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

At least we'll be missed, Don' t talk about us or anything..

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If you don't show up, I'm afraid I can't make any promises..... :)

Aww, southern ohio, hope that you can convince all those birthday peeps to come celebrate with us.

I read that as gopher, and now I am confused groper, will someone fill me in?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

At last years RU, I unpacked all the plants I brought and set them on the ground. After the potty stop and running around to greet people, I returned to my plant stash. I found a man there that I'd never met before. He'd pick up one plant, feel it, rub the leaves, smell it, look it over real good then set it down. Then he'd begin with a second plant.

I finally said "Hi! Do you like those?" or something along those lines. At this point, I think he was slightly embarrassed and pretty well startled. I told him about the plants and I think gave him a few as he was running away. LOL After I found out who he was, I accused him of groping my plants and I did give him more plants since he obviously liked them! For the rest of that day and apparently a year later, he is still referred to as "The Groper!".

Okay, I see, Well, I have been called many things, but a plant groper not yet. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, at least you can blame your sister. :)

While I am thinking about it, I know everyone gets all itchy to clean out beds as soon as the temperatures hit 50 for a few days. LOL If anyone is thinning Lily of the Valley, can you pot it as you go? I know someone coming to the round up would really like some!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have some that has escaped the bed and is running for the sunlight. If someone will tell me how to remove them without damaging them I would be happy to contribute

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jazz, LOTV grows very much like daylilies. There are little finger like tubers, called pips under the ground. :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a tutorial on dividing perennials, for anyone that needs a little help and wants to bring other plants. :)

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1150.htm

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Chele

Athens, OH

Dear All-
I see we are chatting here in the Trade Thread.
How would you feel if we started another trade thread with only trade info? I know I am being picky and over organized but I think it would be a lot easier if we had one thread where everyone could post what they wanted and what they had in one post within the thread, i.e. each person maintains one thread. Then each person could edit their post to reflect additional haves, wants, and "accepted trades". See example:

Tropicals to share.
Canna -ALL GONE [Ric]
Calla -Still available [Badseed; Jazzpunkin]
Colocasia Fontanesii -

Annuals from seed.
Tagetes lucida

Perennials from seed.
Salvia Maynight

Perennials from the garden.
Salvia Maynight - ALL GONE [defoecat]

Things I would like.
a man who likes to dig holes
a cat that can chase deer

ROX

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

For me personally, it's way to soon to discuss what I am bringing.
Normally we start a trade a few weeks to a month before the actual trade.

Maybe this one could stay as it is, with lists of possibilities then start a final trade arrangement thread for lined up trades and extra plants in May.
I usually do the trade threads and honestly, they all end up getting chatted on. I don't think it's deliberate, we just all get excited.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just went and looked up last years trade threads. It was two years ago that we tried a final trade post because there was so much chatting on the trade list. People got confused. So last year, we just had the one trade post, with the chat and everyone had one box that they would keep editing with what they promised who, what they were expecting from who and extra plants. That did work because we could all see each other's post and what they expected from who or were taking to who.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

well shoot.. maybe we should start over so us rookies can get our holder spots in at the top too :)

Have you thought anything about doing the number thing with stuff folks bring other than pre arranged trades? Or, do you want to discuss it? It seemed like last year everyone was making trades on the spot is that how it normally is?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Normally most of the trades are lined up before hand probably just so we can bring what people want? I know after going to a number of these, you sometimes waste time and energy digging things people might not want or you might not think to bring something other people really wanted. I've heard of plant trades done with the number system but have not actually attended one ran that way. I will have my first opportunity to do that this year with the daylily club.

Another thought might be, for people that already have a pretty big variety, it might be hard to find something they didn't already have. I've heard of people just passing on their turn if they didn't need anything.

If someone actually wanted me to bring them a $50 rare elephant ear I would but I might not want to toss that on a table and take my chances of not getting back something of a comparable value unless I just had way too much of it. I'll be the bad guy and say it bluntly because I know it's been discussed. Most people have their "prized" whatever or very limited amount of something that they would share but maybe not give away.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm meant to finish that post by saying, because of the reasons above and the fact that most of us don't see each other that often, you are still going to have private and prearranged trades.

Hubby came home with groceries and I had to go help.

I know that there are always pre arranged. I just thought everyone also brought stuff just for general trading or giving. That is what I thought there had been talk about letting folks pick, then after everyone had picked, or decided they didn't want to pick, going back through again.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I've only heard it mentioned a time or two so maybe that is why it's always been the same. At the very first RU, we all had prearranged trades and brought extra plants, then there was a number drawing for door prizes. I just wouldn't want anyone's feelings hurt if they saw someone put a bunch of different plants in one place and others in for a general swap. Maybe previously arranged trades look about the same?

Maybe you should find out what everyone wants to do. With my medical junk the way it is right now, I'm afraid to plan 3 weeks from now, forget 3 months from now!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I usually 'trade' for what I need.... if.... there is a small number available...
Outerwise I just bring a bunch of stuff and let fly....
I think we got a ton of extras, everyone seemed to have a few... ....
But if it grows we seem to always find room.......... lol

Like everyone else I don't have a clue what will be available yet... I know I'll have Tropicals.... but which ones?

If dispatcher is coming.... and still doing slates..... she needs time to get creative though so .....

Ric

I don't have a clue right now what I will have. It will have to come up, and show itself, and the increases over the winter, before I will know for sure. But I will be starting tomato seeds sometime next week, and will be willing to start some if you have requests for something in particular. I had 58 varieties of tomatos last year, and will probably be more this year. Most are heirlooms, and I have some good ones. Just let me know in a week or so.

I'm the same as Bonnie, I've got tons of mater and pepper seeds, I just need to get the list organized and get them started.

I couldn't remember Michele, I just thought we'd talked about it at one point. I just thought it might be fun to have an extras table that we could take turns picking from. :) As far as I know I don't have a wedding to shoot this year, so I can stay til park closing if need be. LOL

That's a great idea, just a table for plants not originally spoken for. We could be assigned numbers, and choose from that table, until they were all gone.

Don't forget, everybody needs to bring some sort of door prize. I enjoyed that immensely. It doesn't have to be anything expensive, just something garden related that maybe you already have and enjoy, and want someone else to have one just like it.

Athens, OH

Love the idea of a door prize.

Love the idea of the extra table. Unless the weather totally wiped the graden, I need to get rid of some of the less deer resistant plants, including unnamed daylilies. [These were from the NC botanical garden, so they are good varieties, but the child removed the tags and now they are NOIDS.]

Also, I would love to plan some trades so I actually leave some room in the garden for them. Come May I sometimes go on a buying frenzy, trying to fill in all the dirt. Some how I think that the weeds will be less if I fill every nook and cranny. It's an obsession for which I need to seek counseling.

ROX

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Rox, I don't think the counsel you'll receive here will help, lol. I'm a 'pack 'em in' kind of gardener too, and I'm hoping to curb that tendency once I've moved (yeah, right! We'll see how long that lasts, lol).

At this point, I know I'll have the following up for grabs:

Alternathera- Purple Knight
Perilla magilla- hot pink
Coleus
Various sedums
Lamium- White Nancy and Beacon Silver (purple blooms)
Various Heucheras
Tall phlox- Prime Minister, Bright Eyes, and others

I've got plenty of common stuff I can bring if anyone is interested, like Stella D'oro daylilies, Autumn Joy sedum, pink and yellow evening primrose, Jacob Cline monarda, and white yarrow. Also should have seedlings of various things I'm wintersowing and starting inside. Details will follow :)

Neal

Athens, OH

Neal-
I absolutely love heucheras, so depending on the types (I have about 20 but they don't multiply like yours) I will probably be interested.
What are you looking for?

ROX

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Soooo I have to actually know the names of the stuff I have?

LOLOLOL! Joking!....

(for the most part).

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Rox, you know I LOVE tropicals (esp EEs and nanners), so I'm sure you've got any number of things I'd be thrilled with! Everything multiplies fast in the loose, frothy soil where I live now; thats the main thing I'm gonna miss about this place when I move. I'll be dividing more today (weather permitting), but so far I've got Silver Shadows, Cascade Falls, Stormy Seas, Lime Ricky, Creme Brule, Silver Scrolls, and Heucherella Kimono. Pics of them here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/617210/

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Lala, do you have a digital camera? If you can post pics or give good descriptions, we can probably tell you the ones you do not know.

Athens, OH

Neal-
I'd love any and all. I absolutely adore Heuchera.

I have Lime Ricky, Creme Brule, Silver Scrolls...but I'll take a few more.
Funny, I had Heucherella Kimono, but the deer pulled it out of the ground and it died.

I don't have Silver Shadows, Cascade Falls, Stormy Seas, but would love some.

RE: EE.
I brought back some interesting EE collected in Hawaii. A few Xanths (Robusta and two no ID - BWilliams is working on it). And a few Alocasia without ID (including one that Brian suspects is a hybrid or a yet to be described.) If they pup (and it look like they are) I'll have some to trade.

Have really lushish A. gageana.
Will have other EE, but need to see how they do in the next few months as they wake up.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean;I have to wait and see that winter storage went well before I'm sure what extra tropicals are available. I'll go ahead and put your name on some heucheras :)

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 9:26 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.