Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Handyman: My ceiling is falling apart!

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 17, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3227920

We have water damage to our bedroom ceiling, and the plaster is falling off. How on earth can we fix this?
Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3227922

Our kitchen ceiling isn't looking too good either:

Thumbnail by zone5girl

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3228615

The first question is where is the water coming from? That's more important than patching a corner of the ceiling. Patching the ceiling isn't that big a deal, at least money-wise.

You have to determine the source of the water, it's no good to patch the ceiling until that's resolved. Do you think it's the roof, or plumbing? And has that problem been solved?
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3229460

It's the roof. I went to the attic (which is unfinished) and the apparent leak is in an area where there are no floor boards. We are getting a new roof this spring. So, it's not a huge big deal to fix the ceiling? I am totally ignorant when it comes to house repairs, so I was envisioning some awful, expensive repair job. Tamara
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3229640

First you need to get some buckets up in the attic to catch any more leaking water from the roof leak.After the ceiling has had time to completely dry out ,You have to determine if the water damaged area is spongy.If it is you'll most likely have to replace that section of ceiling.If it's just stained and the outer layer of coating with the swirl in it has come down then you put a few more screws into the ceiling stringers to strengthen the water damaged area and recoat the area and try to reproduce the swirl and prime it and paint it.It's a mess to do so get everything out of the room ,when your spraying the coating on.This a rather simplistic explaination but those are the basic's.
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3229793

The problem is that I can't see where the water is coming in. There is one drip on the other side of the attic that is obvious and I do have a bucket under it. But the area in the attic above my bedroom ceiling does't have any visible water dripping. The water must be trickling along the beams or something. You can see from the picture that there are no floorboards there, just some sort of insulation, so I am afraid to go over there for fear of falling.
The ceiling is spongy in that area. It seems quite beyond my ability to fix it, so I guess I will have to hire a handyman to do that. *sigh* Tamara
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3229797

Oops! Forgot the picture! Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl

donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3230065

Where the cardboard is you can take a few wide boards and place them over the ceiling joist so you can lay on them.Reach into that area and pull out the cellulose insulation and leave out so when it rains again go up there and see at that time if you can see where it's dripping.You may be right ,and it might be running down the side of one of the other beams and then over to where it's coming through the ceiling.Anyway if the ceiling is spongy the worst is already done and that area should be replaced with new drywall. Yuck! messy job.Sorry
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3230113

Great. :-P I'd rather spend my money on plants! Tamara
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #3230652

Once you get a new roof on, then the ceilings can be repaired and painted. Until you fix the roof, it would be unwise to do any repairs on the ceilings. We had a few waterstains at our last house plus the tape on one of the joints came swinging down on our bed in the middle of the night. Talk about a rude awakening. We got the roof repaired shortly after that night and touched up the water stains and pasted the tape back in place, spackled that area, and touched it up with some paint.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #3231478

Compared to a new roof, paying someone to fix your ceiling is... a drop in the bucket...sorry, I had to do it...
The materials aren't expensive and the hard part will be matching the stucco. Maybe insurance will cover it? Worth asking, maybe.

Be careful if you start filling buckets in your attic. Make sure they're on plywood or boards if you do, you don't want a forty pound bucket to come crashing down.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #3231508

I agree that the ceiling repair will be cheap compared to a new roof but if you have that kind of damage now, it will only get worse until you either repair the roof or replace it. Pay now or later. It will only get worse with each rain.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3231565

Yes, that's kind of what I was driving at in my first post yesterday... Tamara, maybe you or somebody else can get on the roof with a tarp to keep this from getting worse until the roofers show up?
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3231667

My mom set some money aside from my grandma's will to replace my roof, thank God! We would have been up the proverbial creek if we had to pay for it ourselves! Our neighbor used to build houses for a living, so we're going to see if we can hire him to fix our ceiling in the bedroom and kitchen. Tamara
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3546404

So did you get your roof replaced yet? Hows the ceiling repairs coming if its done?
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3546691

Umm... It's still the same. We had one estimate, but it was way over the budget, so we'll have to get more. We'll fix the ceiling after the roof. Tamara
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3546699

Bummer! I wonder what the price would be if you purchased the materials and then what kind of warranty would they give you... probrably just the labor but it would be nice if purchasing what they recommend yourself would help bring the price down for you.
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3546771

Our neighbor used to build houses for a living and he even thought the guy was too expensive after he looked at the proposal. Hopefully, we'll be able to find someone reputable AND afforable! Tamara

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America