Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Plant Bulbs, Zone 6a

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 9, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anniespottery
Jamestown, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3228081

I have ordered some (1) hosta (2) bleeding hearts (3) Cala Lillies. Can I plant them now? The packages say April/May. I thought I could plant these anytime the ground could be worked?
Annie

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3228123

You really should wait till chance of a hard freeze has passed...that should be the first week of April. Until the plants have had a chance to establish themselves and the roots to grow, they are vulnerable to a sharp freeze. They might do allright, but there's always the chance of losing one if you put them out too early.

They will have the summer to establish themselves, and will do fine next winter.
anniespottery
Jamestown, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
12:10 PM

Post #3229552

Thank you Melody. I was afraid that was the case. Can't wait until spring.
Annie
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3232276

If you want to give them a head start, you can plant them into pots. This will get the roots going and give them a head start. Just make sure they get some light of some sort.
I envy you being able to work in the soil. We just had freezing rain and snow over the weekend.
*sigh* The smell of fresh turned earth...
anniespottery
Jamestown, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3232302

Thank you. Some of the bulbs are actually leafing out. I had wondered about potting them up. Keeping them outdoors during warm spells and inside at night. I'll try that. Yes, we have been so lucky with intermitent weather in the 60's. Of course we are expecting snow this weekend! But spring is surely coming.
Annie

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #3233733

I do this with caladiums. Got some in pots right now. If you've got the room and the inclination, by all means, go for it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3235513

Melody,
I've got some caladium bulbs, too, and want to start them indoors. I'm in Zone 9a. What're you growing yours in?
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3240745

If you have those cheap green growers pots hanging about, about 6" is good. The good thing about starting in pots is if it nice, you can put them outside and bring them in too. If you want them to be in planters as their final home, plant them in that planter now. If you plan to plant them in the garden, any container with drainage will work. As for soil...If they are staying in a container, I would use a soilless mix. you can mix it with a cheap potting soil to make the expensive mix go further. If you are planting them in your garden, you can use just the cheap stuff, but I like to mix them both to get the benifits of both.
Benifts: soilless mix holds water better. Soil holds nutrients better and adds weight.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 11:05 AM

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3241413

I've got two big pots of composite material stuffed full of them sitting in my utility room...they will go outside just like that on my front porch as soon as weather permits...(mid to late march) They don't require much at the moment..just a warm spot and a bit of moisture. I just started them in the pots they will stay in all summer because it's easier for me...and takes up less room.
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3259345

Perfect!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America