Photo by Melody

Seed Trading: Seeds For Newbies - Can Anybody Else Help?

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 37, Views: 1,154
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #3228148

This thread lists seeds that members are willing to donate.

These seeds are available to anybody who doesn't have anything to trade. Don't be shy - that's why they're here.

The person donating the seeds might ask you to send them a self-addresses stamped envelope (SASE), a self-addressed stamped bubble envelope (SASBE), or the postage needed to mail the seeds. Ask the donor for details on how to do this.

Please contact the person donating to make arrangements, either through this thread, or through D-mail.

It's my hope that others who can share seeds will do so.

I have 2 kinds of seeds - Russian Red Canna and Red Castor Bean.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/37544/index.html
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57602/index.html

Steve

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 10:43 PM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2007 3:30 PM

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 8:41 AM

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 10:10 AM
rox_male
Athens, OH

February 27, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #3228254

I have to share:

nepeta racemosa 'mussini' - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/303/index.html

ratibida columnaris- http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/801/index.html

digitalis ?- this appears to be a hybrid or unknown. I have sent seed to Baa, a digitalis expert who could not ID it. It is perennial and blooms in Fall. The leaves are evergreen and form rosettes. The flowers are pale yellow and sort of look like D. lutea.

Allium schubertii - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55560/index.html
aster oblongifolius - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76317/index.html

asclepias incarnata (white)- http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54060/index.html

aster tataricus - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54981/index.html

ROX
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3228504

Hi! I am pretty much a newbie myself, which means I have a lot of extras of some things. ;) If someone would like some of these let me know. Send a self-addressed stamped envelope or bubble envelope and i will set you up. Also, I have some veggies so if you want to try something new I can probably supply a few of those too.
Alaska Shasta Daisy
Russell's Strain mixed Lupine
Red Lupine
Chinese forget me not
summer sun heliopsis
pink poppy- (came up in sedum from garden club purchase)
lambs ears
orange calendula
marigolds marigolds marigolds ;)
lemon mint

Isn't this fun?!!
Cyndie
sheran
LA, So CAL (Northrid, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #3230055

send me a sase small envelope and I will give seeds to the first 8 people.

put a reminder note with your envelope.

sheran cohen
10201 Lindley Ave d59
Northridge ca 91325
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 27, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3230484

Steve, I'd be happy to help. All the seeds on my tradelist are SASE, and I can just send you some to disburse or use yourself, if you'd like. Otherwise, folks can contact me by D-mail.
enya_34
Madison, WI

February 27, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3230657

I have some for postage:
Desmanthus illinoensis http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/61021/index.html
Cosmos salphureus http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/218/index.html
Calendula mix of single and doubles
Mexican giant amaranth http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1381/index.html

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 12:47 AM
enya_34
Madison, WI

March 1, 2007
6:05 AM

Post #3236639

Also found
Dianthus basbatus (Sweet Williams) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/190/index.html
Helianthus annuus 'Autumn Beauty' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74402/index.html
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
9:28 AM

Post #3236682

Everyone,

Thanks to all for chipping in. I'm not surprised that you're all willing to donate seeds - I've found that DGers are extremely generous people.

I am a little surprised, though, that there haven't been any takers, especially at this time of year.

If anybody can think of another way to reach newbies, to let them know that seeds are available, I think we should give it a try.

I'd rather not have seeds sent to me - I think this will work best if the donors send them directly to the donees.

Steve
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3236988

Hi I'm new and have already contacted some by D-mail. Thought that was how it was done? If wrong please educate . THANKS to all willing to share .I will try to do the same next year.
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #3237092

gardengus,

That's how it's done.

Keep an eye on the Plant Trading forum. As we get closer to nice weather, I'll be posting some free plants up there. You're welcome to any you can use.

Steve
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3239262

I think the name of the thread might not alert newbies to the fact that the seeds are available for them for SASE. Until I read it, I thought you were trying to gather seeds yourself and then you would distribute them to newbies. Maybe you could repost with a title like "Seeds to Newbies for SASBE" with a hyperlink to this thread, and then give some simple directions about contacting any of the willing donors by d-mail... Just a thought! :-)
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3239265

You might also consider posting something in the beginners forums that have been started recently. :-)
RuTemple
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2007
5:47 AM

Post #3240073

I'm putting up some available seeds, little by little, and am happy to make them available for an SASBE (where B means either bubblewrap/padding or room for me to tuck some around the seeds and in the envelope).
Sendone2me
Orlando, FL

March 2, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #3242427

I still have some for postage also..
Pink Confederate Rose.
pink Shower trees
Candle trees
lots of others I have too many of from trading. Send the sabe and I will send some of whatever i have too many of ..
Flamboyant
Sunflowers Fran
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3244623

I've got a Basil offer underway now in the herb forum, and I'm hoping to post some more SASBE offers soon...

Just wanted to add a couple reminders for people sending SASBE... Reading the trading primer is a great idea for anybody new to seed trading, but I know the TP needs some updating, so...

Bubble envelopes need an extra 13 cents postage for the "nonmachinable surcharge." Using bubble envelopes or padding around the seeds is definitely a good idea, and it's also a good idea not to send envelopes with seeds through the machines... it's no fun when packets arrive damaged with seeds mangled or lost.

Some people have different ways of doing it, but generally sending a SASBE means this... Send a bubble envelope (which will need 52 cents postage) containing the following:

Your DG name and a reminder note of what you were requesting

A return address label (the same bubble envelope will be used to return your seeds)

52 cents or 63 cents in loose postage (no prepaid metered labels, USPS won't accept them). If you're asking for larger seeds such as pumpkin or beans, or if you're asking for more than a few packets, include the larger amount of postage, which is enough for up to 2 oz.

If the other person has offered to supply the BE, it's nice to add a little extra postage to cover their cost.

Here's a recent thread with some other good tips... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/691287/

:-)
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3245038

Thanks, critter. I learned something here today.

Steve
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3245212

I have some seeds as well. To see most of my seeds, go to my 2007 journal and look under "waiting to sow" and "waiting to germinate". Happy gardening! Tamara
heebiejeebie
Buffalo, NY

March 4, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3245885

I have tons of parsley seeds, this variety -
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=205&subcategory=265&item=2390

for trade, sasbe, fresh baked cookies, mmmm... cookies...
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #3246458

Cookies!!! Why hadn't I thouht of that? All those plants I gave away for postage...
creativedecor
Dothan, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3247395

Thank you everyone for your gracious offer to share some seeds with us newbies...I will be sending everyone a bubble envelope with a dollar inside for postage...is that okay with everyone??? I can't wait to start growing again...The weather is almost good enough for outside planting here, but I enjoy inside starting just as much...Its so relaxing to plant and transplant. I just love it. Thank you everyone, hopefully I will be able to share some great pictures with you of my new gardens. And next year contribute to newbies like me.
Thanks again,
Gail
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3247750

Just goes to show ya... even if you don't think you have anything to trade as a new gardener, you might have something that another person would be delighted to have in return for plants... cookies, handcrafts, notecards, scented soaps, books, CDs or DVDs...

A lot of people on DG do generously share their extras for postage, but if they're just posting an offer for trades, be creative and see if you don't have something they'd like even if you don't have extra plants to share in return.

And if you do respond do an offer for postage, please be gracious. Remember that even with "unwanted" plants and "extra" seeds, somebody is still going out of their way to pack and send them to you... it's not like placing a catalog order, and "please & thank you" are good words to use.

Please do read the trading primer. It may need some updating, but the information in there will get you off to a good start. You'll also feel more confident about making requests once you get a feel for the etiquitte, and the trading primer has some good advice.

(I should just add... these are general comments, meant to be helpful to newcomers... I'm don't want any of the wonderful folks I've traded or shared with to think I'm directing some sort of pointed remark at them!)

skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3248136

Cookies? Did somebody mention cookies?
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3248568

Hey, I love baking home made cookies ... but how do you package them for mailing so they don't get crushed in transit?!

Lin
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3248781

Lin,

I'm joking.I don't really want anyone to mail cookies.

Steve
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3248802

:) LOL Steve ... I realize you aren't asking to have cookies mailed! Just thought I would throw that in since Critter made the comment about cookies for trade! I would trade cookies for plants any day!

I have mailed cookies over the years ... always packed then in cookie tins or plastic containers and then with a lot of bubble wrap too. Sometimes they've made it to their destination fine, other times, all crumbs!
A friend suggested I put them in popped popcorn to cushion them, but haven't tried that yet!

Lin
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3249664

We get coffee from Trader Joe's in these airlight lined cardboard cannisters (like oatmeat comes in, only maybe even a little sturdier)... they make great cookie containers! A stack of big chocolate chip cookies fits in perfectly, and as far as I know, they've never arrived in crumbs as long as I packed enough in that they didn't rattle (add a little paper at the top of the container if you can hear the cookies shifting around).

Sorry, I don't mean to take this thread too far O/T... just trying to encourage people to be creative when they see something they want for trade... it never hurts to ask, as long as you're polite with your offer and are prepared to take "no thanks" as a reasonable answer. I've traded seeds for handmade notecards and african violet plantlets for knitting needles!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3249720

Thank You Critter! I appreciate this info!
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #3279948

plantlady...popcorn works great too to pack your cookies in...I do that during the holidays when I send out my christmas cookies...

Deann
new_to_this
Lenexa, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #3293284

Hello to everyone and thanks for the oppurtunity to share in your knowledge and advice. I am the newbie you speak of and would love an oppurtunity to try new seeds.

The question I have is how do you know which ones will work in your particular zone? I see that people are eager and willing to share but would hate to take seeds that would be of better use to someone in the right zone for that seed.

I am in zone 5b in Lenexa, Kansas. And would greatly appreciate any help with seeds and advice on the right choices for me.

Thank you again for sharing. :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3293343

Looking up the names in PlantFiles can be really helpful with zone info and so much more! It's a good idea to check as you suggested before asking for a seed... If it turns out to be something you can't grow in your area, somebody else will probably be able to put it to better use.

I'm really big on using latin names... once you start, you get used to it... it makes it so much easier to be certain which plant you're talking about, so you can learn what you need to know about growing it.
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #3294147

Critter - I agree. Once I started using PlantFiles, I found it to be invaluable. I'm in it all the time now.

Steve
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 15, 2007
9:29 AM

Post #3858584

Hi All, I have some "pregnant onions" seeds that I don't mind sharing to anyone that would like some. I dont have a lot but you are welcome to some. I live in Australia, so it probably can only be Australian's?????

Debi
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #3859111

I have lots of seeds to trade! In fact too many to mention...

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 2:50 PM
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 15, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3859662

I'm also a newbie and interested in several. I've already dmailed a few.
macybee
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3862093

Newbie also. I will dmail those I'm interested in.
Thanks you all.
newarkslones
Glenford, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #3863747

i have tons of zinnia multiple vairities including tons of peppermint stick
blazing star liatris purple
blanket flower
bush morning glory ensign blue
bright lights cosmos
bachelor button mix

will happily do sase just ask, I was a newbie too once and I would not have the gardens I have today without the generous people here!

krista
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3868026

I have lots of seed to give away also.

Columbine
False Sunflower
Gallardia - Arizona Sun & Goblin
Blackberry Lily
Yarrow - Mini Pink that is red to me. Paprika & Cerise
Snow on the Mountain-Euphorbia
Cleome
Cosmos
Sedum - Several

SASBE will be fine.
I am the address exchange.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3868943

let me now what your looking for be glad to..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America