Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Sweet Potato slip question

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3228236

I've got a couple of sweet taters suspended in water learning how to grow the slips. They have grown roots and each one has 5-6 slips popping out. One of them has the largest slip on it (see pic) that has grown up about an inch and then branched into 3-4 side shoots. I know I've got a bit before I separate them from the tater, but I was wondering if the slips should alwayd be separated right where they grow out of the tater or will roots form on each of the branches if I separate them there?

Also, do I just snap them off by hand or is it better to cut them with a knife?

Thumbnail by jkehl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #3229660

Just pull the off by hand. If the slips get very long before planting time ( more than 12 inches in lenght), you can cut them in two and plant both parts.
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3231766

Thanks Farmerdill,

I'm probably going to have to break that slip up, it's much bigger than any of the others. The other tater is even further behind because I put it into the water upside down to start with... Good thing I noticed a slip growing under the water...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America