-
AuthorContent
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #3229118

How do you all do this? I usually nick them with nail clippers, but would like to know how others do it, thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
4:54 AM

Post #3229145

I've also used a nail file...

For seeds that require "cold stratification," lately I've been wintersowing them... I think the freeze/thaw action over the winter months takes care of cracking the seed covering a bit, no need to nick. It might not get cold enough in your zone for that, but you could always cold stratify by putting them in a baggie with a little moist perlite, then into the fridge or freezer.

I think we probably need to distinguish between seeds that need to be nicked & soaked and those that require the low temperatures of actual cold stratification to germinate... I seem to recall that there are some very tender perennials that need to be nicked (passiflora, perhaps? now of course I can't remember where I was reading about it), and those probably wouldn't appreciate cold temperatures.

What seeds do you have better success with if you nick them? I know I got no sign of germination on a prized seed of Vigna caracalla until I dug it out of its pot, nicked it, re-soaked it, and replanted it. I've also nicked four o'clock seeds with good results...

Trying to think of other seeds with hard outer coverings that might benefit... does anybody nick morning glory seeds? I don't think I want to try to knick a big handful that I might be sowing all along a fence line, but I'd be willing to do it with a few special japanese morning glory seeds if it would improve germination success... ?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #3229163

I think you're talking about scarification and stratification. Here's an article about both:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8704.html

It talks about internal and external dormancy of seeds and some seeds that need scarifying or stratifying.
I've scarified some holly seeds by laying them in the driveway and rubbing my boots on them...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2007
12:26 PM

Post #3229605

I've done the same with dogwood seeds.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3229927

get a clean small jar with a lid(I've used a large baby food jar),cut a piece of course sandpaper to fit jar,roll the sandpaper into tube w/rough side facing in,insert into jar,toss in seeds,put the lid on and shake for a few seconds to a minute depending on how hard seeds coat is.

P
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #3230140

Thanks, claypa -- I knew there was a problem with our terminology in there somewhere!

P, that's a great idea... I'd heard about using sandpaper and applying it to individual seeds, but your way makes a lot more sense! I think most seeds with hard coats don't need a big chunk taken out of their outer "shell," just a little weak spot for some water to get in and for roots to break out.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 27, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3230497

Great idea, Bigred. I've been laboriously buffing each seed with an emery board!
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3230582

Thanks for all the great ideas and the link, very enlightening!
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3232886

I've tried a variety of methods to nick canna seed. They are tough little things, and in the process of trying to nick them I have split some in half (I'm not even sure how) and sent others flying across the room (trying to hold them still with pliers and scuff them good with a metal file...)

I conducted an experiment with mine this year in terms of a variety of pre-wintersowing techniques:
I nicked some (finally with some success with toenail clippers -- though some did still go across the room),
soaked some without nicking,
and planted some without either.

So far the nicked but not soaked seeds are the only ones to germinate -- and that at a very small ratio. I wintersowed them in mid-January here in zone 7b, and noticed the first germination around Feb. 24.

I am a complete novice with canna seeds, so I may be approaching this all wrong...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2007
10:09 AM

Post #3233474

Weeingreens,

can I get you to do my nails now that I've given you the baby food jar and sandpaper idea..*G*

P
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3235108

Sure, Bigred. I've got lots of emery board! Just stop on over this afternoon. I baked cookies yesterday, so I'll put the coffee pot on... by the way, wear your parka.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3243054

to scarify really hard seeds like lotus, I use a pair of pliers to hold the seed and then use the sharp edge of a triangular file found in the woodworking tools department. Otherwise my fingers get in the way.

Has anyone used Gibberellic Acid to scarify seedcoats?
Here's a link to an article on it:
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm#GA-3 Information Sheet

I ordered the kit from him last year so my son could do an experiment. I haven't used it yet this year.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
11:25 AM

Post #3243630

weezingreens,

Oo-oo! Manicure,freshed baked cookies and coffee! I'll hook my 4 boston terriers up to the sled and see if I can't get them to"mush" me right on up there...LOL

P
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 3, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3244294

Better put some booties on those little guys. It was 8F when I got up this morning.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3253079

Need to deck them out completely in booties parkas,gloves,ski mask ...the whole 9 yards because they're spoilt lil house pups/creampups...LOL

P
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3253892

I love that, P... 'cream pups'! LOL!
opalheads
Teresina
Brazil
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3276899

For hardy, big seeds like DELONIX REGIA, I just clip a small piece of the outer part and place it in water for 24 hours. I am having nearly 100% germination rate.

opalheads@gmail.com
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3290048

I just use my teeth and bite them -- not morning glories, but the others. LOL!

Suzy
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #3290432

Wow Suzy! Do you also mutter to them 'You better sprout', while you're biting them? I love it!!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3290454

Wow! I didn't know our forums were sponsored now. Must be part of the new ownership of the site. Wierd.
dieterwittmx
Mexico City
Mexico

December 11, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #4284646

how can i make maple sugar germinate?(step by step, pls)
i'v almost wasted all my seeds because i plant them directly in the soil, and nothing, so i would apreciate if u could tell me how to do it!
germinater

(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #4284742

Hello dieterwittmx,

It's really too hot in Mexico City for Sugar Maple. Do you live in the mountains?

If your seeds are dry you will need to give them a moist, cold treatment before sowing them. Soak them until they swell a bit. Scratch some up and leave some unscratched. Then put them in a SLIGHTLY moist, sterile medium (perlite/peat moss/...) and keep them at around 36 to 40 degrees F for two to three months in an airtight bag/container. It would help if you give them a shake every few weeks.

I would put some for two months and leave some for three to have a shot both ways. A seeds dormancy really depends on where it was collected.

Then plant as normal.

Good luck
redheadedwonder11
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #4813599

I am trying to grown bird of paradise seeds. I filed two of them a bit with a nail file and soaked them overnight before planting. I gently dug them up a week or so ago and nothing appears to be happening. I planted them around the beginning of March. I have 3 seeds left and would really like at least ONE of them to germinate and grow for me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
blpender
Dowagiac, MI

April 15, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4814445

Here is what my germination chart says: Do not chip or mark the seedcoat at all, but merely remove the orange tuft and soak up to 2 hours. Sow seeds in moist sand, pressing them into the sand until only a small part of the black seed is visible and grow in a temp of 75 degrees F, in the dark and ensure that the sand always remains moist. From 7 days onward, inspect the container once a week and as soon as any bulges, roots, or shoots are seen, remove the germinated seed and pot it up in half peat and half sand.
blpender
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4815683

The fact that you had to "dig them up" makes me think you may have had them buried too deep. Seeds that need light to germinate can sit there forever and do nothing if you plant them too deep. Some tropicals will also benefit from a heat mat...some won't germinate at all without enough bottom heat, and others will germinate without it but it'll go faster with the heat.
MGMan
Norfolk, VA

August 21, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9249258

I use an X-acto knife to nick my seeds, usually Morning glories and sweet peas;-) I bottom water for sweet peas.
bobvanhalder
Brooks, OR

March 14, 2014
9:55 AM

Post #9789427

Hard shelled seeds (Asparagus, Cotoneaster, Lupine, Morning Glory, etc.) need some method of softening the seed. That can be done by freezing, scarification, acid bath, H2O2 or a hot water soak. I prefer the hot water.
In this technique, which I use on a lot of seeds, you place the seeds in a cup and pour hot (170 to 200 degrees F) water over them, to a depth of about 5 times their diameter. Do NOT use boiling water, as that will kill the seed embryo. Allow the water to cool and let set over night. The seeds should be plump and on the bottom of the container. I use this method even on seeds that donít absolutely need it these days, because it both speeds germination and raises the germination rate. Seeds that are still floating after 24 hours can be pulled out and retreated.

Carolinaflower8

Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2014
4:37 PM

Post #9798630

We planted Morning Glory seeds straight I to the ground last year...they multiplied underground and then sprouted. Lol

Thanks for all the info...especially on lupinus. So, is it completely not helping (far as germinating) to just store seeds in fridge, if they are not getting any moisture?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM
A general reminder Windy 12 Jul 12, 2007 12:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America