Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Advice For seed starting

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 347
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3229861

We've ordered some Tropical seeds that should be arriving any day now,and would like to know if anyone has had any experience starting any of them? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Pheadra

ETLINGERA elatior "Torch Ginger"
ETLINGERA venusta ,
BRUGMANSIA suaveolens PINK
CASSIA javanica "Pink and white Shower tree" ,
CASSIA Roxburghii ,
COSTUS guaniensis "Spiral ginger" ,
COSTUS speciosus "Crepe ginger"
HEDYCHIUM gardnerianum "Kahili ginger"
HELICONIA mixture ,
NELUMBO nucifera "Sacred Water Lily"
PASSIFLORA mixture ,
TACCA integrifolia "Bat flower, Cat's Whiskers"
TACCA nivea "White Bat Flower
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3229879

Most of the Cassias that I've tried from seed have needed to be soaked in warm water for 24 hrs before sowing them. A heat mat will probably be helpful with most of these--a lot of tropicals need bottom heat to germinate, or at the very least will germinate better with it.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3230382

I have a book I picked up years ago, 'From Seed to Bloom' by Eileen Powell and it had two listed.

Hedychium-
Sowing:indoors-5-8 weeks before last frost. Outdoors -early spring, when soil is cool and light frost is still
possible, or late autumn.
Depth: Just cover
Germinating time: 20-25 days
Requirements: Soak seeds for 2 hrs. in warm water, provide 70-75F thereafter.

Passiflora-
Sowing: indoors 8 weeks before last frost. Outdoors After last frost
Depth: 1/4"
germinating time: 30-365 days
Requirements: Difficult. use only fresh seed. Soak for 12 hrs in warm water, sow in flats and keep at 80 F.

Tacca seed thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/679032/
I did a Google search for tacca and there were a couple of sites that had tips for it, said they were not easy.

Another Google search 'sowing heliconia seeds' brought up info "The seed requires soaking for two/three days and sown in a well drained damp compost at a temperature of 30C. The seed may take a couple of months to germinate and the seedlings will need a temperature of 30C by day, 18C to 22C by night and good sunlight to bring them on. Sow in late spring when our improving weather conditions will help"
Actually, it was from this site which came up quite often. http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/ (I love Google!)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3230720

I've also heard that Passiflora seeds benefit from an overnight soak in orange juice... In Hawaii, somebody told me they put their fresh passie seeds into a glass of passion juice, allowing them to soak until the juice has fermented for best germination.

We'll see. I just sowed some P. carulea, did the overnight soak in OJ, put them on a seedling heat mat...
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3240805

Thanks Everbody,Seeds arrived yesterday and most are getting the soak they need and Dh has created a heat box for them.Crossing Our fingers and toes.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3243037

You'll find help with your nelumbo seeds over on the water gardening forum.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America