Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Armeria Nifty Thrifty Flower Plant

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flygflowers
Hudson, FL

February 28, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #3233275

I have seen this plant advertised for sale - stating it grows in zones 4 - 8. I am in Zone 9 (Central Fl). Is anyone familiar with this plant? What do you think the chances are that it might grow okay in my zone?
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3240603

This is my experience with Armeria. Some sowbugs got into the root mass and started eating away. I didn't notice it (probably for a long time) When the plant started going downhill, I removed all of them that I could. I should have removed the PLANT and planted it somewhere else, but I didn't. 8-( You know the end of my story. Lots of sowbugs and a big space in the flower bed!!! I liked the plant. It didn't take much water and I liked the little flowers. See if you can get more information about it from the link below. You can also look up some cultural practices that others have used in various zones if you look in the Plant Files using the link at the top of this page. Type Armeria in on the line where it says "Genus".

Here is a link for you to get more knowledge about Armeria. Mine above is not too relevant since I live in a much much much colder climate! ... http://www.nargs.org/gardening/plant.list.html

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #3240718

You'll want to plant it where it gets REALLY good drainage. As Karin said, it doesn't require a lot of water and in fact it doesn't like a lot of water--I'm not sure how much rain you get but it is more common in drier climates so it may not like the amount of rain you get naturally, so you'll give it the best chance of survival by giving it really excellent drainage and probably not giving it much if any additional water from sprinklers, etc once it's established.

Here's some info on it from High Country Gardens
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/21710/#tips
According to them, if you get under 30" of rain a year you can grow it no problem, or with 30-40" per year it can be grown with care, more than that I'm guessing you may have problems with it, although with good drainage anything is possible.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America