Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KevinMc79
Saint Charles, IL

March 1, 2007
2:42 AM

Post #3236283

Just out of curiosity, are Hosta fanatics concerned about Hosta Virus X? Are you aware? I don't see any posts. Please advise.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2007
10:57 AM

Post #3236728

Yeah Kevin they are concerned.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3236757

Kevin - just wait till the season gets going - or do a search or just go back to last summer's posts. It was a BIG topic.
Ann
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 1, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3237264

Kevin,
It's Always a concern for me. I go out and look at all my hostas daily to make sure I don't see any funny stuff coming. I had it last year on my Striptease which I promptly got rid of in the trash bag that goes to the dump.

I will be watching like a hawk again this year. There can be an incubation period of up to 6 years for Sum and Substance.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3237302

Your just real nosy. that is your whole problem Kelly
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 1, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3237310

oz,
We all know that,,,especially when it comes to my hostas
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

March 1, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3237559

I was pleased to see the Home and Garden section of my paper did an article on it last weekend. I am concerned but since I just got started last year and had read about it prior to I hope I have taken as much precaution as possible to have not intriduced anything with it.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 1, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3238644

Hi Kevin,
As Ann said, if you go back on the Hosta Forum to about August, HVX was a very hot topic (as of today, that is on page 11). I guess right now we are dreaming of fresh, healthy hostas breaking ground.

Did you have some problems with HVX last year? I have in the past with Krossa Regal and I just replaced the plants. If you are on a forum like this one, you would feel ashamed if you kept any suspect hosta! :-) Like GardenGeek Kelly says, it's all about being clean (not you, the hosta! lol). I found it a pain in the butt to sterilize my pruners between cutting down scapes this fall from one hosta to another, but a necessary thing.

Bottom line is, if us hosta fanatics are aware and know what to look for, I think we can beat this thing. I informed a couple of nurseries last year what was most definitely HVX on two Captain Kirks. One had never heard of it, so I gave them the hosta library link. To his credit, he was very grateful for the info. Hopefully the hostas were destroyed, but I guess I'll never know that. I identified HVX on a couple of friends' hostas too, (and said I'd be watchin'!) Knowledge is the key, don't you think? If enough of us look at the pictures all over the internet, it gets easier to identify. From what I've read, I believe the problem stemmed from Holland because of their gargantuan operations and mechanical harvesting, the virus spread like crazy. I'm sure they've felt a backlash by now and cleaned up their act, too.

Sandy
AddieOtto
Clementon, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3239340

I had three HVX plants last year. They were three Stiletto from the same mail order nursery. That nursery was great when I wrote them about it. I have photos of their little deceased plant carcasses on my website. :-( It was sad and a bit nervewracking but I learned I can check the "infected" lists on hostalibrary.org to see in advance what might be a problem.

Sue
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3239382

Maybe it is time to bump that thread up some.

Laura
LucyGoose
Schererville, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3239415

Yes Kevin...I am aware, and only get hosta's from vendors that are aware also...Hallson's is. Yep, it's a big thing...Go to the hosta library and check out in red letters, Hosta Virus X...also Hallson's do have a forum for it, too...

Good Luck!! I so far have only had one hosta with it...My Striptease that has already been replace with a virus free one...:-)

Edited to say I forgot...My Spritzer was virused also!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 9:25 PM
KevinMc79
Saint Charles, IL

March 2, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3239723

I didn't realize it had been talked about so much. I just started posting recently. I work for a wholesale perennial grower and we produce a lot of Hostas. So this is a subject that is very much on my mind. We destroyed thousands of plants. Mostly our top sellers because of the virus. We now only purchase liners that are 100% clean of the virus. Also, there has been a lot of conversation about the virus' origin. Though Holland probably did have a lot to do with the spread of the virus. Mainly because of the mass production in their fields. They are not the originator. It has now been traced to the US. Some of the largest growers in Holland are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to clean up their fields. So good things are happening to stop the virus. Thanks all. I appreciate the knowledge.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #3240282

Kevin - it's good to hear that the growers are taking it seriously. Unfortunately, there are still too many sellers who don't.

Ann
AddieOtto
Clementon, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3240587

It's great that growers are taking this seriously. All of us have been into big box stores and local nurseries and seen pot after pot of infected plants. It's discouraging. I mentioned it to my local big blue home improvement box store and after a while, they removed the plants. But soon after a new shipment came in and it was yet another obviously infected batch.

I purchased my plants from a reputable supplier who discovered all of their Stillettos were infected, obviously before they arrived at the supplier's nursery. They offered to refund my money. Pictures of the infected plants are here: http://myhostagardens.com/S/Stilletto.html.

After seeing those infected plants in my garden I have stopped doing things like cutting scapes or damaged leaves. I don't use my tools much at all on my hosta to prevent any spread of disease. Some scapes are still up from last season's plants and they won't come down until spring clean-up.

Sue

Sue
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #3241064

It gets hard to remember that you can't pinch scapes off with your thumb nails anymore. I wasn't even thinking and di it to 2 hostas and realized what I did. That was the end of cutting of scapes for me.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3241402

I'm sure I've also seen it at my local reputable Hosta nursery. Remember the "Giant Hosta Land" thread? Well this was the back yard of the guy who owns it and he's a certified Hostaholic himself, but when I asked him directly about the virus last year, he mumbled something about not getting Dutch hostas. Sandy and Erynne will confirm that we saw plants that were suspect at best and I believe they were much worse than that. His attitude bothers me although he's handy and he DOES have many wonderful plants. You just have to be very careful. (And I'm mail ordering more of mine from other sources as well).

Ann
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
5:41 AM

Post #3243450

Kevan, the big 3; Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, have had the virus in some of their hostas,in the last 2 years. in my area. when I brought it to their attention, they didn't think it was a problem. be careful what you buy from them. and isolate them before you introduce them around your other hostas. if your doing any cross pruning dip your shears in alcohol between cuts. Jim
KevinMc79
Saint Charles, IL

March 3, 2007
6:39 AM

Post #3243474

Although I always preach to buy from your local independent garden center, I understand why everyone goes to the box stores. Keep in mind though, that these box stores can't be held for blame by selling diseased Hostas. It's the company selling to them that should be stopping it way before it gets there. In my experience, there are few qualified plants people at most box stores. Most of which don't keep up with the incredibly fast horticulture industry. So the people there may have no idea. Also, we must acknowledge that in this day and age, you can get the virus from anyone, whether they be Dutch, Danish, American, etc. It's here. It's just time to clean it up and I think the big nurseries will keep this from becoming a major problem. We'll just have to keep on top of ourselves, and soon it won't be so prominent. Have a great weekend.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3244150

Since i'm new to hostas... does anyone have photos of this virus?
that way i know what to look for.

**edit**
I googled and found some images

TIA,

terese

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 10:22 AM
AddieOtto
Clementon, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3244448

http://myhostagardens.com/S/Stilletto.html - I think my last link was messed up. Maybe this will work. You can see the one photo of the infected leaf that shows the mottled color that is typical.

You will also find lots of photos at the HVX section of http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Sue

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #3244524

Sue,

yes the first link was messed up, but i just typed in the url so i was able to browse the site.

i guess with this virus, you have to know what you are looking for... so seeing images helps.

thanks,

terese
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #3244626

Kevin, when i was at Home Depot last year, I was telling the clerk about it and she pointed to someone that works for the wholesaler and she was writing an order. I talked to her and showed which ones were virused, she told me that they didn't come in that way and her company wasn't responseable. so who is responseable? she wouldn't give me the name of her co. so I could call them. I guess the consumer is the loser here. I don't buy any hosta from any of those box stores. I used to, but not anymore, Jim
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #3244737

Kevin there is a link to photos of HVX plants on the Hosta Resource Thread at the top of the forum. Here's the link to the HVX thread.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/615405/

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #3244795

doss,

thanks for posting that link -- i read most of it -- I also saw mention that "Patriot" tends to be infected. I ordered one a week or so ago from BlueStone Perennials.

Boy -- i certainly hope it's "clean". That would be a bummer - my first ones ever and they come with a virus.

terese
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3244850

I haven't ordered from BlueStone (that I can remember). If they look good in the Garden Watchdog hopefully you are OK. I have gotten much fussier about where I buy my hostas since I've been aware of HVX. Kelly and I talked to the people at Foxfire Gardens about it before we did the hosta co-op with them last Spring. They are very knowledgeable, and have been very vigilant. However, since it may take years for the virus to show itself on infected plants they say that no one can guarantee a plant is HVX free unless that specific plant has been tested. We all just need to practice safe gardening (something like safe sex) and destroy any infected plants no matter how much it breaks our heart.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3244885

thanks marie.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3244901

If anyone has more photos of infected plants it would be good if they added them to the HVX thread as listed on the stickie resource thread. Then they will all be available in one place.
KevinMc79
Saint Charles, IL

March 3, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3245177

Hostajim, She should have been responsible. A hosta didn't just catch a virus while sitting on a shelf at Home Depot. Unfortunately, not everyone is as responsible as they should be. For a plant geek like myself, it is very hard for me to get over the fact that some people dont care. It makes the horticulture industry look bad to the end consumer. It definately does not help with adding value to plants.

TCS, Bluestone is a very credible nursery. I would expect your hostas to be clean. But Hosta Patriot has become a tough buy for growers, as most liners are not clean anymore. It's sad. But the most produced hostas are going to be the most likely candidates to get the virus. When you have a field of hundreds of thousands of plants, it's hard to guarantee that every prune will be sterile.
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2007
4:45 AM

Post #3246197

Kevin, you are so right, every time I see one virused even though I'm not buying any, I still mention it to whoever is working there. but now I order from nurseries that have their TC stock tested. it's worth it in the end. when I think of how much money I have in these guys. I would hate to have to deal with something like a virus. scary!!!! but if the grower that grows 100s of 1000's of TC stock won't be reponsible, who is? it won't be long until you are talking to a friend and you suggest that they buy a Hosta and there reply will be. Oh! I heard about that virus that they get. I wouldn't want that. but then again Roses get disease all the time and people buy them. go figure. Jim
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3248216

Hostajim---- I got the lowes in Osage Beach Mo to take action on a batch with Virus X. If you suspect do not buy them and tell everyone you know including your locale Newspaper. Just be careful since your treading on legal thin ice.

One of the things that bother me about this virus is that some hosta are like mules for it. All they do it carry it and it does not show up on them. Patriot is one of them. Another thing is it will lie dormant for years in some hosta before it shows up. If the growers do not test every batch they get they will be spreading it if they get a infected bunch. I cannot see them taking the time are expense to do it religiously.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 8:56 AM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3249682

Question -- What it "TC" ?
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #3249705

tcs1366, it's short for Tissue Culture, also it's micropropagation. usually meristems are used for making lots of clones and then grown to the seedling stage. then sold to wholesalers. it's a huge industry now. that's why you can buy full grown Orchids at Costco for $20. it's big in the Hosta trade, because that's the only way to get lots of exact clones of a plant that doesn't come true from seed. also the strawberry industry uses TC plants. Jim

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3249737

Thanks Jim.

OK -- being a hosta newbie, i'm fairly upset that the 2 i am purchasing this year are HIGH on the virus list... like as in, "Don't even buy'em"

so - I've found lists of infected plants (Hallson's and Hosta Library) and combined the lists -- they were pretty similar. and this is what i came up with as to "what NOT to buy"

Abby
Alex Summers
Antioch
August Moon
Baby Bunting
Beauty Substance
Birchwood Parky's Gold
Blue Cadet
Captain Kirk
Corona
Diamond Tiara
El Nino
Fan Dance
Fortunei Aureomarginata (also sold incorrectly as Carnival)
Gold Edger
Gold Standard)
Golden Tiara
Goldrush (no HVX free plants known in commerce)
Ground Master
Guacamole
Halcyon
Honeybells
Janet
June
Katherine Lewis
Krossa Regal
Minuteman
Montana Aureomarginata
Niagara Falls
Night Before Christmas (infected with an unknown virus)
Pacific Blue Edger
Paradise Joyce
Patriot
Regal Splendor
Revolution
Royal Standard
Sagae
So Sweet
Stiletto (all imports from Holland appear to be highly infected)
Striptease
Sum & Substance
Sugar & Cream
Sun Power
Sweet Susan
Tardiva
Tattoo
Undulata Albomarginata
Venucosa
Veronica Lake
Wolverine
Yellow Splash Rim
Zounds
**end list**

now, there are quite a few on the list that I had/have on my mental "must have" list... guess i need to start over... and this took me weeks of looking at images of Hostas...

I did find 1 that I like that isn't on the list

Ginko Craig

I have to do some more searching to find at least one more... and i think i'm going to call BlueStone to see if I can't change my order... it's not due to ship til the end of April.

...crap!

back to the drawing board...

Any others I should be concerned about ??

Terese

** Edited to say --> Since I wrote this post, I've learned a bit more and i have to say initially i was a bit freaked to say the least...

as Tinker writes a few messages down... It's fine to order these from reputable nurseries -- just watch the "Big Box" stores
IE. Home Depot, WalMart, Menards, Sams... etc.

after reading a lot more, i would have no problem purchasing any of these plants from the highly rated on line hosta sellers (Hallson, FoxFire... and the other nurseries highly recommended by Hostaholics on this site.)

This message was edited Mar 24, 2007 5:54 PM
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #3249756

Thank you all so very much for the education. I will be very careful IF I add any new plants , and more alert for the signs. Again thanks ,Cinda
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3249780

Terese, the list is pretty scary. I have a lot of the ones on the list. If I see any sign of it on the leaves I'll dig it up imediately with the soil around it. and dispose of it. so far I haven't had that happen. but the incubation can be a long way off. it's just something that you have to be looking for to keep your collection free of disease. Jim

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #3249814

jim -- yea - i know. the 2 i have ordered are Golden Tiara and Patriot - and they are in my eyes on the do not purchase list.

so sad because they are both gorgeous plants... unless i should just bite the bullet and hope for the best.
As Kevin said, Blue Stone is a reputable company... I dont know... but i will call them today to see what can be done.
The Tiara is HIGH on the infected list... maybe i'll find a comparable one and keep the Patriot (that was the first one that grabbed my eye as a must have.

as you can tell, I'm very torn about this right now.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3249858

Ok, just because all those hosta are on that list doesn't mean you can't find clean ones somewhere. Just buy from reputable hosta growers that know their plants and actually care about what they are selling. Hallson, Bridgewood, Naylors, Foxfire, and plenty others that have clean hosta. For the most part if you avoid the big box stores and any nursery that does not grow their own hosta you'll be fine. I would not avoid a whole list of hosta just because HVX has been found in some of them somewhere at sometime. Just be aware of what you are doing. :)

Diann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3249958

That list has gotten a lot longer since I last looked at it. Wow! But, as Diann said above, you CAN still find clean plants. Many of those varieties are older ones. You may be able to trade with someone who got theirs long before HVX was a problem. But it may also prove useful to me in paring down my list to manageable numbers. I guess if I concentrate on varieties which are less prone to HVX, my list will get shorter.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3249977

Terese - keep looking at lists. You'll still find way too many you like that aren't on that list above. Even after taking out the ones that are at high risk, I still have over 80 on the wish list.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3250015

that is what i'm doing. I think once i get "better" at hostas i may expand my lists, and I have found 2 that i can replace the ones i have ordered. Ginko Craig and Pauls Glory. The color combo's are the same, and so is the cost -- but yes -- there are still A LOT out there.

I'm still learning...

terese

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3250145

Wish it were easy to ship plants over the border. I have gobs of Ginko Craig. Another of my early ones which divides easily and grows vigorously. But should it be detected at the border they would be confiscated.

Ann
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3250395

I'm the same way, I buy what I like and keep an eye on it. I do believe Marie said something about clean Striptease being offered in the Foxfire co-op, so that's something to be thinking of.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3250509

I talked to the gal at Bluestone and she said it was no problem making the change... so i did.

she also said their hostas are virus free -- but then i was telling her things i've been reading, like the time frame that the virus actually shows it's self (Patriot taking years)... then she said all their plants are a year or less old ... though I was very reassured in our conversation - she said if i'd feel better getting different ones, she'd make the change for me.

so - i feel better :-)

terese

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 1:02 PM
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #3251974

Here's the thing, as far as I am concerned, ALL new hostas, AND the ones I already have, are potentially infected. So, the only things you can control is to purchase or trade with sources that decrease the likelihood of getting an infected one. This means to me, avoid the box stores, buy from garden centers who test and who you KNOW will contact you if an infected hosta turns up, isolate new purchases from old ones, and to do all the cleanliness things needed to prevent spread of the disease.

Laura

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #3252576

I definitely agree with Laura. Although understandable, it seems sad to discount all the lovely hostas on a list because a few hostas of a particular variety has at one time been found to be infected. To me, if we are on top of it as gardeners, and the reputable nursery owners are on top of it, HVX won't be around very long. More and more hostas are being tissue cultured so there are decent quantities to introduce, and although HVX can survive the tissue culture process, I understand that most of the labs will do HVX tests of the mama plant before it is put into tissue culture. That, as Martha says, is a very good thing. I, too will buy from a reputable source, (not being afraid of TC hostas), keep good records of where a hosta was purchased, keep a watchful eye always, and keep up the habit of sanitary practices when it comes to hosta gardening.

Sandy

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2007
11:48 AM

Post #3253081

I go along with the Eskimo and Laura. Next to the buying mania the Virus X mania is the worst.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3253138

Sandy -- I'm not totally discounting them. just for my first purchase, i decide to change my order to get ones that were not so high on the "possible virus" list. I"d just be crushed if the very first 2 hostas i add to my garden turn out to be virused - even if the possibility is small -- i'd have to tear them out and basically start over.

I'm hoping down the road to get those other ones, especially Patriot -- but maybe in a swap, so the chance of virus is more minimal.
Or even find out where KevinMc sells to, and go there to pick some up.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3253193

Gosh, Terese, I hope you didn't feel singled out. I just wanted to make the comment to balance things out for others that might come along and read this thread in the future. I'm taking the virus seriously and I figure if I take all the precautions I won't have to run scared. I think you made a very informed decision and that's real smart if you ask me!

Sandy

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #3253202

no sandy -- i didnt feel singled out ;-) thanks for asking though.

i'm just learning -- and i'm sure i will learn a ton this summer when everything is growing.
and now i know what to look for...

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2007
3:05 PM

Post #3253645

Sandy,
I completely agree. When I'm working with my hostas my neighbors must think I'm a crazy person. I do everything but wear a hazmat suit,,,lol
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #3253915

having that jar of alcohol ready to dip your pruners in when you are working on Hostas is by far the best defense, then if it shows up on any hosta you will know it's isolated and you can dispose of the plant. I even have a alcohol dip when I'm working on my hybrid seedlings in my basement just in case of any other disease that might be present. good plant hygene is important in keeping healthy plants. Jim
KevinMc79
Saint Charles, IL

March 6, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #3255386

hostajim had the best advice right there.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3255772

thanks jim, i like the idea of alcohol better than bleach... i'm terrible with bleach.
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2007
4:03 AM

Post #3256306

tcs1366, the thing about my not liking bleach is it breaks down once you mix it and if I want to reuse it I have to make up a new concentration whereas with alcohol i can dip in it and put the lid back on and use it again. I think clorine bleach is good for 15 to 20 min. Jim

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3256700

thanks for the clarification.

I also think i need to get new garden tools this year.

terese
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3256716

There is always room for a new garden tool in my bag! Do take a chance on at least one hosta that you cannot live without. Sagae is a "must have" as far as I am concerned. If I only had one hosta, that would be the one.

Laura
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3274590

I'm fairly new to this side of hostas. Like many people I've been a casual grower of hostas for many years but it's only this year that I've been expanding my collection.
I wasn't aware of the virus till recently reading a post elsewhere so I came to this forum looking for more information on the subject. My question is has anyone done any testing to see if this virus can spread to other garden plants besides hostas? Also if the parents are infected do they spread the virus to their seeds?

Thanks!
MollyD

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3275144

Molly,

As far as we know, it is only affecting hostas. I don't know but would presume so. If a parent has it, you need to get rid of the parent

Kelly
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #3275157

Don't recall what I've read about other plants. I seem to remember that not being the case. It does not go via the seeds, or via pollen, or insects. It is passed via sap on tools, so cut one, then cut another and you pass the virus. Cutting roots, leaves, or scapes are all potential means of passing it. This is why thoroughly cleaning the sap off tools between cuts is so important.

Laura
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3276978

Thanks Kelly and Laura,

I'm a bit confused. If it passes on sap couldn't an insect land on that sap and transmit the virus?

I also need to see more virus pictures. Last year I bought two hostas from Walmart (Night Before Christmas and Sieboldiana). They looked healthy to my untrained eye but I wasn't looking for signs of the virus but rather for insect/fungal damage. I also bought a hosta from a small nursery labelled All Gold which I haven't been able to find any info on. I'm beginning to think it's not a registered name. Anyway the leaves are a pale yellow in full sun but a light green in the shade. I'll have to check that one out closely though in one year it went from a 3" pot to a big clump needing to be divided as it was crowding other plants. From what I've read the virus would decrease vigor??

Are there list of nurseries to avoid? I did see the list of varieties that had a history of the virus so I'll avoid those till further notice. I don't "think" I have any infected plants but I'll have to look my plants over when they emerge this spring. I'm in zone 4b so it will be a while yet.

Thanks for the information.
MollyD
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3276984

Okay too funny for words. After I posted my message I saw the sticky at the top of this forum and followed a link to plants. There I found ALL GOLD listed! Once mine grows I'll submit all the data I can on it to DG.

MollyD
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3277013

Molly,
There really is no list of nurseries to avoid except the big box stores. They get all their plants from growers who aren't necessarily concerned or maybe don't even know about the virus. Online places you can trust are http://www.naylorcreek.com http://www.foxfiregardens.com and Hallsons Perennials but I don't have their URL right off hand. If you do a search on Hallsons gardens they will come up. There are many more places and people can chime in with their favs.

It's been questioned about insects and bugs transferring HVX and no one seems to be able to come up with a concrete answer. I myself would think it possible and keep watching my hostas like a mother hen. I'm in 4a so there's time here yet too.

Good luck,
Kelly
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3277316

Thanks Kelly. I'll be participating in the FoxFire co-op soon. Hope to get a few nice hostas there this spring. Just got the links for Naylorcreek and Hallsons. I'll check them out.

MollyD
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3277430

Molly,
You're welcome. The Foxfire co-op should be coming along any time now.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #3277591

Boy do I need that green "fix" LOL

MollyD
Chris_W
Cement City, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #3278327

HVX isn't spread by insects, bugs, or slugs due to the type of virus that makes this one up. Some viruses can be spread by insects and even pollen, but not this one. HVX is pretty much just a human spread virus, although there is probably a slight chance of animals also spreading it.

HVX is unlikely to spread to any other garden plants, but it has been found to have infected one species of tobacco, so it may be possible for other plants to get it. However those plants may be unlikely to be in the garden or handled at the same time as hostas.

In these respects we have been lucky. There are other viruses out there, like Tobacco Rattle Virus, which can spread a lot easier than HVX. One main reason HVX was allowed to spread so easily was that people collected these diseased plants thinking they were sports and not realizing they were virused. Then once they made it to the field grown operations and a couple tissue culture operations it really took off.

Fortunately a lot of progress has been made so that most of the wholesale growers are aware of the virus and testing for it. Now that education needs to trickle down to the nursuries and hosta gardeners. In the meantime good sanitation practices when handling hostas (washing tools and hands every time you cut into a leaf, crown, scape, etc.) will go a long way to prevent spreading it.

Hope that helps clarify a couple points.

Chris

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3278525

Chris,

thanks for that explanation

curious, how are hostas 'tested' ?

terese
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2007
5:36 AM

Post #3279425

terese, I'll have to ask Gary or Jack from Naylor Creek, because I know for sure they have their TC plants tested. they have thousands of TC's done every year, I didn't think to ask them how they are tested. luckily I haven't had a virused hosta yet, knock on wood. I have a friend that had a Hosta with it. she asked me to come over and see the hosta that had sported. I took one look at it and new it was virused. she didn't want to dipose of it, because it was her favorite hosta. I told her that I would replace it with one I had. and to put hers in the garbage can. and to not plant her new one in that area. Jim
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #3279612

You send it to a lab. Or, you can follow Chris' instructions on the Hallson Gardens website and send him some leaves and he'll give them a visual once-over and give you an idea if they are virused or not. He's pretty good at it, I think. Sometimes they are just deficient in a mineral.

I made up my mind last year that I was going to get one plant tested, but realized quickly that it was useless to spend the money on the types of hostas I had at the time. It is cheaper to toss and buy new if really suspicious about one. If you paid big money for it, then it might be worth it to test before tossing. The tests are done at a couple of places but I don't remember where--university labs. Before you test, though, you have to consider what your actions would be if it is positive, or if it is negative. If positive...you have to toss it. If negative, you have to take precautions anyway, so why test for a home grower? Makes sense for someone propogating large quantities as you want your stock to be free of it or to ensure that what you receive from someone else is free of the virus. I seem to recall from my reading that the virus can be in one leaf, but not yet in another, so even testing can be inaccurate and I'm not sure on the rates of false positives or false negatives on the test. Best thing to do is buy what you love from a reputable source that does test and takes precautions, then watch them like a hawk! Pretty much all plants can get some virus or another, so learning this has helped me to be a better gardener in general.

Laura
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

March 14, 2007
12:00 PM

Post #3279726

Terese

Here is an excerpt from the QC paper a couple weeks ago telling where to test in IL:

If you are wondering whether that funny-looking hosta in your garden is infected with a virus, the best way to be sure is to have it tested. Both Iowa State University, Ames, and the University of Illinois, Champaign, offer testing.

n In Iowa, samples may be sent to the ISU Plant Disease Clinic via area county extension offices or directly to 351 Bessey Hall, ISU, Ames, IA, 50011. The cost is $10 per sample. For more information, call the clinic at (515) 294-0580.

n In Illinois, samples may be sent to Plant Clinic, 1401 W. St. Mary’s Road, Urbana, IL, 61802. The cost ranges from $12.50 on up, depending on the sample. For information on how to collect and submit samples, visit the Web site http//plantclinic.cropsci.uiuc.edu. The clinic is open May 1-Sept. 15. For more information, call (217) 333-0519.

m1ll3r
Indianapolis, IN

March 14, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3280983

kevin, the American Hosta Society along with the Un of MN is participating in a Hosta virus X research project. It is not posted on AHS web site but should soon be. Many hosta lovers are very concerned about this disease and what will prevent the spread of the disease. this research project is designed to give the gardener some practical methods of protection.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3280994

m1
Sounds very interesting, I hope they have some info on it soon.

Kelly
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #3281019

Chris,

Thank you very much for that information. It saves me a lot of needless worry.

As to babies once they're up and growing do they change color as they grow? I collected some seeds from a large unregistered blue and the babies are all green so far. I know the blue is unregistered because I bought it right from the hybridizer who does have some he has registered. The seeds were nature's work not mine.

Last night I did a "head" count and between hostas I own and ones on order I now have 15 named varieties. A huge number who's name I don't know too.

Thanks!
MollyD
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3281679

Molly,
Most of your seeds will come green unless you use a streaked pod parent (mommy)
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3281751

Thanks Garden_Geek. Pod parent is a solid blue (huge plant). No idea who the pollen parent was or if these are selfed. Closest hosta to this one was Krossa Regal but from what I've read it's sterile.

MollyD
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3281760

You're welcome, good luck with your babies
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2007
11:39 AM

Post #3283476

Mostly green babies is normal. (I'm a newbie too, but have done LOTS of reading as I'm going to do some hybridizing this year).

Laura
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #3283607

Thanks Laura,

As a mom it's always reassuring to know your babies are normal ;-)

MollyD
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #3284192

Laura, good luck on your hybridizing! this is my 3rd year. I have hundreds under lights right now and lots of ones that are showing a lot of good qualities. now I'm planning who I want to cross this year. it's as addicting as collecting. Jim
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3286638

I am up to a whopping 8 seedlings, maybe one more trying to push up from those I planted in January. I did purchase some more seed through the Hallson Gardens website forum. There is a seed swap type forum there and it turned out Chris still had some seeds. If you make a donation to help with the forum upkeep, you get some seeds!
I have them all planted and under lights, but no germination yet, but it has only been about a week. Fingers crossed I'll get some green showing in the next day or two. A couple of the seed packets were labeled 'good luck', lol!

Laura
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3313372

Back to HVX...I just saw this in Charley's Greenhouse's web-site for sterilizing garden tools. Other than the price...what do you think?

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=8242&cid1=846&cid2=918&cid3=-99
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

March 23, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3313507

Could you do like hairdressers do and have a bucket of disinctant (alcohol maybe?) and stick the tools in it in between cutting & digging while you are using them?
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3313594

Yep, rubbing alcohol works

Marie,
You really want industrial strength,,,lol Yep, I'm sure that would take care of it, but you can get one of those at Menards for a lot less I would think

This message was edited Mar 23, 2007 8:11 PM
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3313703

Actually, heat is not a bad idea as long as the tools don't have a flammable handle! You might be able to use a grill lighter, though the fuel would not last as long. I'm going to try a container of rubbing alcohol and maybe a bucket of hot soapy water for the larger tools with a spray bottle of alcohol or disinfectant wipes if I need something for a quick wipe.

Laura
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3313850

I know they're cheaper at Menards because I've already looked at them. A torch makes it easier to hook and unhook the fittings for the pump on my underground watering system. I've been borrowing one for the past couple of years. It comes along with the guy who installed it. I took notes last Fall, and hopefully I can do it myself this Spring.

It is a bit of a pain to be hauling around a sloshing bucket in the garden. I'm a klutz. It has been tripped over and knocked over several times. I've been thinking about disinfecting wipes for this year (if I don't get the torch). I'm a real power tools kind of gal. Torch = Power! Arrgh!
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3314059

marie, I've used those torches to fix irrigation lines too (Arrrghhh!) I bet the torch would do a bang up job of sterilizing tools, but there's a couple of things that come to mind, other than the price is half at the hardware store, but you already know that. Well, you know how hot those suckers are, you'd have to be really careful with them, making sure you weren't having a clutzy day 'cause the potential for really bad burns would be way up there! Or melting your tools as Laura points out! The other thing I found was that the automatic igniters don't last very long for some reason, then you have to have to light them with a cigarette lighter, and then you need 3 hands.

I used Lysol spray and paper towels last year. Needed 3 hands for that too, smelled nice though (green apple scent, harhar) I'd like to try something different this year, I like the idea of disinfectant wipes, as it seems like you'd only need 2 hands.

Sandy
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3314100

Yeah, being able to do the job with only your two hands is a big plus. Come on now...are you trying to discourage a gal from adding another tool to her arsenal?
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2007

Post #3314265

marie, you're just a little ole thing, how can you possibly carry more than a couple of tools on your tool belt without it knocking you off balance? Hey now... maybe we should all start carrying toolbelts. Think wild west: with one hand you whip out the pruners, extra high and catch them on the downfly, with the other you whip out the torch from your holster and "click, whoosh, furrrrrrrrrrrr" with the torch, a brief forceful puff to extinguish, then two fancy twirl, twirls before replacing in the toolbelt. I could dig it.

Sandy
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2007
12:50 PM

Post #3315470

I actually wear men's Carhart painter-type pants for gardening. They got lots of pockets on the legs, etc. My pruners is always in one on my leg, and that leaves room for more stuff in the other pockets. The No Mercy weeder can hang in the hammer loop. I'm sure that I can find a belt holder attachment for a torch. Oh yeah!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3316133

A question on H.'August Moon' Before learning about HVX I had arranged a trade with a woman for some of her August Moon. Is it safe to get it, plant it far away from the others and avoid any contact between them till I can observe if it's infected or not? Or are all August Moon plants already infected??

MollyD

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #3316772

Molly, if she had her August Moon before the virus became prevalent, it won't be infected. But you should always be careful.

On clothing, they say that hospital scrubs are the best gardening clothes and it would be pretty easy to sew on extra pockets for additional tools. Haven't tried it yet, but maybe this summer.

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3316778

Well now this calls for a comment by Mr Negative. I think the price is out of the solar system. If you hold it a little to long on your tool it can effect the temper. At 3500 degrees that is a very short time. I bet ten to one if it has a off on button it might not work so simple. Prophane torches are sometimes a pain to get to fire up. the flame is also a lot harder to see than is shown in the picture. and you can get burnt on the tip. I would go with the other ways myself.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #3316871

If she has had the plant for over 4-5 years, it may be safer to get from her than from some nurseries as the virus was less commen then. As long as you isolate it and use precautions against transfer, I see no reason why you shouldn't get it. As the virus isn't passed through the air, as long as it is in a pot or not planted next to another hosta, there is no reason why you should not give it a try. HVX shows up easily in August Moon as bluish blotches, so you would probably know if it is sick.

Laura
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3317221

Oz...you're spoiling all of my fun. I'll need to look into other kinds. I should find out more about the one that my dad's buddy has. He is a retired farmer...so you know that he's not throwing away money.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3318385

Well marie I do not mean to pick on ya. As a matter of fact I will lend you my cutting torch.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2007 10:10 PM
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3318578

My disinfectant of choice will be 1:10 bleach solution. As a nurse that used to be in a dialysis unit, cleaning and disinfecting were a necessity. Bleach will kill HIV virus and Hepatitis. I think that that if it can kill these, it will kill Virus X. The downside is that it can be corrosive to metals. In this case, I will wash off my tools with soap and water afterwards. I will have to look into it further, but I have never seen that alchohol can kill a virus.

I may reserve one of my older nippers for this job.

Thanks to all that have made me aware of this virus.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #3320571

The problem is I don't know anything about her or her garden. She said she'd had it a long time and had tons. Would send me a very large clump ( a promising sign) BUT I don't know what other hostas she may have (she did mention having some others) or if they may be sick, etc so I guess I'll let her send but treat it as I would a patient in quarantine. I quarantine new daylily arrivals for fear of spreading rust (and that is airborne) so I guess I can put this new arrival over by the quarantine bed till it's health is established.

Thanks all! Knowledge is a powerful tool but it also adds to the workload!

MollyD
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2007

Post #3320645

I say go for it and pot it up rather than putting it into the ground. That also gives you the flexibility to move it around a bit to see what lighting it likes. Use a nice BIG pot and enjoy it. If you look through the HVX thread, you'll see a photo of my August moon that was infected. It is really obvious when it is.

I just ordered a new one this year from a reputable source. I really like the color of this hosta and am looking forward to having it light up a darker spot in the garden.

Laura
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #3321952

Thanks Laura,

I like the pot idea. Do potted hostas fare well in zone 4b though? I almost never overwinter anything in pots aside from one very large bonsai.

MollyD
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #3322312

I've had success overwintering hostas in pots if I bury the pot in the Fall and cover it with leaf mulch. Your soil level in the pot needs to be the same as in the ground. Clay pots are the best since they are porous. When I reuse nursery pots, I plant them in the shade, tilted and sometimes slash the side of the pot so they will drain. One problem I had in the past was that the top would start melting in the Spring, but the rest would still be frozen solid so that the top would be sitting in a pool of water. That is not a good thing.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3322445

Thanks Marie. Any problem with wild life? Things like chipmunks, mice, etc?

MollyD
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3322795

Marie hangs out with Kelly, so you know she has a wild life! Oh wait, you were talking about wild life as in the furry little creatures.. sorry... my bad. ;) LOL

Diann
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3322979

ROFL- good one!

MollyD
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3323169

I was just about to buy my first hosta at Bi-Mart (a big chain store in the northwest) when I saw this thread. The plants were bagged dormant roots...so are they safe? Can the virus be present in the roots?
beth
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3323381

Absolutely the virus can be present in the roots.

I personally won't buy from box stores anymore, they don't have the ability to quality control like the smaller places do. Hopefully, the growers will get it under control in a year or two, but until that happens, I only buy my hostas from a reputable hosta grower who tests and if something should arrive virused, will do something about it.

marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3324299

I agree on not buying hosta from big box stores. I'm even starting to be suspicious of the nurseries that buy in bulk early in the season...fatten up the plants...and then sell them to the rest of us. I wish that there was some way of knowing if they were buying from a reputable source. I also wonder if they even know about HVX.

As for wild life...Kelly and I only seem to get wild when there are plants around. Oh wait...somehow that didn't sound quite right. We never do anything illegal.

But back to Winter Sowing. I've never had anything messing with my WS containers outside. (Inside...as I'm preparing my containers, I have had to drag a couple of very interested cats away.) I've always had them very close to the house. The deer aren't bold enough to come that close. As for the assortment of other varmints around here (cats, mice, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, possums, porcupine, coyote(?) black bear(?), nothing as ever bothered my containers. The neighbors have pretty well trained dogs. They only have big paws attached to big bodies that stomp through my garden...and make me cringe.

My biggest concern for my containers right now is the freakishly warm weather we're having. 76 yesterday and 78 today. If anything starts feeling frisky in those containers, they will be toast when the temps decide to return to something normal.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

March 27, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3324333

Marie what about the tool you use for browning your Creme Brulee? it look like the same thing to me and a lot cheaper. LOL
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2007
9:55 AM

Post #3325107

You know what Marie. I don't believe that "normal" winter conditions will come back this year. Not only is it pre-maturely warm but all the birds that normally we wouldn't see for another month have already come back. I think the seasons are totally off this year. I'm zone 4 b. Normally that means winter arrives in November and lingers well into April sometimes May. This year winter made a brief arrival in November then vanished till late January and by mid March had gone away. (Okay so that's my kind of winter but it's not normal here!). Even the ground has thawed out so you can easily push a shovel into it. I really don't think (at least where I am) that winter will make a re-appearance.
Daylilies here are coming up, crocus are blooming and yesterday I spotted some hostas waking up. Lilacs are also leafing out. Daffodils and tulips are up about 4". All signs of spring.

MollyD
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2007
11:34 AM

Post #3325452

Ticker,
ROFLOL, You don't know how wild Marie can get when there are plants around,,,I have to be vewy cawfuw
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3325495

No, I don't really know how wild you two can get, but I have a really good imagination! :)

Diann
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #3325503

Sylvia wants me to prepare Creme Brulee in the garden now! LOL I actually do not have one of those fancy tools...but my sister does. I can already see the look on her face when I ask to borrow if for the summer...for gardening purposes.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #3325512

I guess I will not get started with hostas this year then. I don't know a "reputable" nursery to get them from. Anybody know where in Oregon?
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2007
11:59 AM

Post #3325517

Byndeweed, get them mail order. That's how I get the majority of my hosta. Naylor Creek, Hallsons, Bridgewater, Jim's and lots of other places are reputable hosta growers...

Diann
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3325886

Can the virus be present in seeds?
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3325976

From the Hosta Library's 2006 information on HVX:

Although specific research has not been completed yet on how it is spread, there is good reason to assume that it cannot be spread by insects, fungi, nematodes, or pollen. Limited research has indicated it may infect plants other than hostas, but it has not been observed in other plants at this time. Transmission through seed is not considered very likely, but not ruled out. The primary method of infecting plants is moving fresh sap from one plant to another. There are any number of ways to do this, including the cutting of rhizomes, leaves, or scapes, lawn mowers and string trimmers, handling hail-damaged plants, keeping plants with fresh cuts in contact with each other, and possibly animals feeding on leaves. No future cure is expected, so all plants with HVX must be destroyed.

go here to read the rest of the article: http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVXUpdate1.htm

Diann
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3325981

thanks!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3326239

Anytime. :) Allways willing to help addict someone to hostas. :)

Diann
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3326597

Ah, yes, tis fun to get another addict amongst us.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

March 27, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3327139

Beth, the best place to buy Hostas is online. the growers are up to snuff about the disease. Just dont buy anything from the box stores. I doubt if they box stores Hostas would appeal to you anyway. I saw a bunch of them in the HD, what a dull boring site and they arent even named. Now if a chronic Hosta lover can look over a bunch of Hostas ... its a sad situation. I would not buy them if they sold for 49 cents a piece. I would love to own a Hosta shop in Dallas ... I could clean up!
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #3329057

I am going to look online...but it is still scary not knowing who might have the virus. The article said it might not show signs for three years!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

March 29, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3334411

Beth dont let the virus scare you, besides we are not discovering them as often, I dont think. Just be careful who you trade with. If you keep them separate or in a pot. Dont deny yourself the pleasure of watching a hosta grow, it will always outweigh the fear of HVX.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3337691

Well said Sylvia. Despite our fears over HVX, it doesn't appear to me that any of the hostaholics have stopped buying hostas. We're just becoming more refined in our choices.

I'm hosting a hosta co-op again this year with Foxfire Gardens. I feel very safe getting hostas from them. Take a look at the co-op thread to see if there is anything that you may wish to order. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/704987/#new
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3337710

Maybe a co-op would be good. I keep eyeing the ones at Fred Meyers and Wilco but I'm scared to buy them!
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3337754

Now that you have become an intelligent hosta shopper, do not listen to your evil twin. Do not buy your hostas from there...do not submit to your desperation to hold some living hostas in your hands. Anything worth getting is worth waiting for.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3337769

I went looking in the Garden Watchdog to see who might be in Oregon that you could personally buy hostas from. Here is what I found http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?state=or&country=XX&category=14&search_text=&sorter=company_name&submit=Search
I don't know if any of these are near you, but it is a place to start. I have personally ordered from Sebright and was beyond pleased with order, as well as a free bonus hosta. They were also just marvelous over the phone.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3337785

Actually if Seabright is in Brooks it is about half an hour away. Funny, they don't have an address, just a PO box. I'll try to find out more about them.

Okay, they don't officially open to the public until April 20th...but I might possibly get in by appointment only, earlier.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 4:02 PM
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3337851

That's Great!

In fact, I just received their catalog in the mail. I found them a couple of years ago when I was looking for one special hosta, and they were the only one that I could find that had it. Our cat Blackjack had just died after 15 years with us, and I wanted to plant the Blackjack hosta over him. Of course, I managed to add a few more to my order.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America