Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 206, Views: 912
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
11:09 AM

Post #3236740

Well wheather it's In like a lamb or a lion, it is March. Several steps closer to great growing weather for 75% of us.
I want to thank Steve for this picture of Tampa Bay.
I'm in Philly, but requested and got a lay-off last night so I can go south and work in Maryland. Indoor work is much more comfortable for the next month or so.
At home;
65.7 F / 18.7 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
T-storms
70% chance of precipitation
Here in Philly it's
32 F / 0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 27 F / -3 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the SSW
Pressure: 30.20 in / 1022 hPa
Windchill: 29 F / -2 C
Please come by and post what's happening in your neighborhood and those great pictures often.
Much love,
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3236928

Oh my!!! What a breathtaking picture Sidney.

10 F / -12 C
Light Snow
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 9 F / -13 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the NW
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa
Windchill: -5 F / -20 C

Sorry Joey re La Nina. Since the El Nino was such a mild one maybe this one will be too.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3236940

Glad to see you made it through the storm ok pepper.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3237021

Pepper: Happy you're safe and sound.
Janett: Hope you see some blue skies soon! We have a gray day today, but warm, heading up to 71*F.
Sharon: Are your orchids outside? My dendrobiums bloom out side in summer and then - if I'm lucky - inside around Christmas time. The phals, are all budding/blooming now. And - miraculously - I have an oncidium that is spiking for only the 2nd time in 3 years. I'm so excited - I've forgotten what the flower looked like!
Please post a couple of pics when yours bloom. :)

I must get back to work!

Happy March 1st everyone!

Deb
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3237060

March announced itself last night with a very loud thunderstorm, but not much rain . I was hoping the snow would be washed away, still about 4'' in my yard. I can see the mud in several nearby fields, spring will be here soon ,I hope. 43 and cloudy
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3237358

7am, Zero*F, high winds gusting to 65mph., windchills to minus 30*F for the next 2 days. "When it's spring-time in Alaska-----". March is coming in like a Lion.
pepper23, keep safe.
Sidney, glad you can work indoors a while. How far did you have to travel?
DebinSC- all this talk of flowers blooming seems to be from another planet :) How nice to look forward a new blossom soon.
gardengus - Sounds as if the snow will soon be replaced with mud.
What a nice choice for the thread/photo; just beautiful, Steve.
This is the snow berm my 7 yearold GS climbs everyday to get to school. They live in the house behind the berm, just across from school.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3237430

Gusting winds to 45mph. Looks like I picked the wrong day to put the Bird of Paradise outside. It'll be shredded. :-o
Deb
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3237500

It was cloudy and sprinkling this morning as a chilly front move through. It has passed by now, taking the clouds, rain, and most of the humidity! I opened all of the windows in the house to take advantage of the cool, dry breeze. Open windows days in Houston are VERY rare. With the plum tree in the front yard still only at half bloom, the air blowing through smells heavenly.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CST (10 min ago)
Temperature 72 F 22 C
Dew Point 30 F -1 C
Humidity 21%
Pressure 29.73 in 1006.9 mb
Wind Speed 25 MPH
G 31 22 kts
G 27
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 72 F 22 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
Peak Wind: 31 kts from 350 (16:33 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 71.1F / 21.7C
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3237501

Seems to be windy everywhere today - the house is creaking and popping w/wind/cold. Way colder than "normal" for this time of year.
Hope your plant survives, Deb.
Kiska
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3237574

Overcast & Grey @ 44 (I've given up on being accurate, look at the digital next to the puter, subtract 10 and that is it). by the way - Where is spring? If someone has it hidden in a pail they better fess up and break it out soon (PLEASE).
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3237671

It's kind of on the lion side at this point today.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on March 01, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
51 F / 11 C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Wind: 15 mph / 24 km/h / 6.7 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s

We went to the beach yesterday. It was chilly. I think this rock looks like a fish.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #3237697

Dyson: Maybe this wind will blow spring to you!

Kiska: That plant will be fine. The leaves tend to shred a bit in wind & it might not look as good is all. :)

Marilyn: I know just what you mean about having few "open window" days. Seems to go from winter to summer overnight most times. These few days in between are precious. So my back door's open and I can hear the wind chimes. Aaaah.

Deb

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #3237737

Deb I have 3 phals one just keeps trying to die. Nothing I do works still the same little plant I bought 2 years ago. The other 2 are great. All outdoors. They dont like being inside here. The 2 that are loving life have new canes growing.

It has been cloudy and rainy all day. At this point nothing serious, just slow steady rain. Not looking forward to what is heading our way. DH bought a new NOAA radio hoping it stays quiet.

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3237769

Sharon: That's a happy orchid! (Very pretty.)
I wish I could keep mine outside year round.
I hope your weather stays quiet, too.
Deb
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #3237885

I really need to take a hint from BB and set up some good grow lights on a good platform, everything on the table is dyeing, some day I will figure out how to do this seed starting thing right. It is cold I am tired and my neighbor just rode by on his Harley, in short sleeves & shorts. I have done that in Jan. but not lately and not likely too in the near future.

As I get older I have less resistance from the need to feel "comfortable", also may be the reason for the lack of "wanderlust" guess I'll stay here, get more comfortable, and try to figure out this "growing" thing.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3237920

Dyson:
[quote]As I get older I have less resistance from the need to feel "comfortable", also may be the reason for the lack of "wanderlust" [/quote]

It could also be the wisdom that comes with age. At least that's what I tell myself. ;-)

Deb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3238080

Deb, that Tiny Sunshine was all I needed. We've been cloudy cloudy cloudy!

Pepper, I've been thinking about you. I keep the atlas, out trying to see where everyone lives. I guess that 70° comes with a price. Hang on!!! Stay safe!!!

Marylyn, the plum blossoms are beautiful and it is a shame it doesn't fruit. Is it an ornamental or just no pollinators around? The Church across from my childhood home used to have the shrub plums. We would hide underneath them and eat .

Sharon, it looks like you have as many jet trails as we do. Sometimes I think all our clouds are from planes. I don't like it. Nice picture tho!

Rann, I second that ''Yay, it's March!'' Hope Selma is feeling better. Sounds like a good stocking up day. I don't think our food prices are bad. Meat gets high, but I always seem to have a bargin tucked in the freezer. Tomorrow, I stew two hens for real chicken broth!

Ric, same here. We had thunder a bit around 1:15 am. Last flash and clap I counted said the storm was a mile away. I heard it start to rain and fell back to sleep.

Janett, lets hope spring showers bring May flowers!!!

Yay, Pepper's OK!

Sugar/Steve, Beautiful opening photo!

Lilypon, I hope La Nina is mild too. How did we ever explain weather before the existance of them? I don't like them.

Gardengus, I don't think we got a lot of rain either. There are puddles, but they're slowly soaking in.

Kiska, I don't think that's spring :))

Kell, LOL over your fish rock!

Sharon, that's a lovely orchid. It's so nice to see flowers!

Dyson, Deb, I'm getting in the ''boat'' with both of you.

45° tops at noon. We put out the submergable pump and pumped by the garage. Those who built it should have built the dirt up first. It's in a bit of a hole. After DH went to work, I scooped bucketfuls till I got the ''drain'' emptied. The ''lion'' is roaring and it's dropped to 40°. No more rain yet.

Edited to correct!!!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 3:23 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2007
7:14 PM

Post #3238088

Thats what my bones tell me, every time I move the wrong way, with something I should not have picked up in the first place - and I am "young" - sometimes "it is not the mileage, but rather the condition of the roadway".

But I were twenty years back, and before that, twenty years back.

There is no looking back now, just trying to figure out to how to make it work so that the next years are more comfortable than the last.

Don't get me wrong, please, I have had a very good time, and many good people I've met, "everywhere you go has natural beauty, so the difference is in the people you meet there".
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3238200

Billy, I missed something somewhere. Is your basement flooded?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3238290

noonish, 12*F, sunny/winds continue to gust to the 50's w/wchill Minus 15*F.
I just heard that a high school in Alabama? was hit by a tornado - hopefully everyone is ok, as much as is possible. What a frightening time that would have been.
Billy - did you get the water out? Was it the garage or basement?
kelli - that rock does look like a fish - nice day to be at the beach; you have so many different places to go; love seeing them all.
Our 7year old GS team is going to State Championship in a couple of weeks as hockey draws to a close.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #3238301

Hi Kelli, wish I had a basement! We have a two level sidewalk beside our garage. At the end we sunk a large barrel filled with rocks and sand. That's our drain for the January thaws. (Our garage is in a low spot.) When the ground is frozen most of the water will drain if it gets above freezing. Many nights we used to be out scooping water so the garage wouldn't flood.

It's dropped to 36° now and still windy. It's sort of dark :))
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #3238657

edited to add

Wow - I'm so tired I didn't say "Hi"! Long day - seems to be a long night too...

Nowcast as of 5:21 PM EST on March 1, 2007
Tornado Watch until 2 am EST... Isolated showers are possible over northeast Florida early this evening. Also...winds will be gusty this evening with gusts of 30 to 40 mph possible. Thunderstorms...some severe...are expected to develop and affect the area after sunset. Damaging winds...hail...and tornadoes are possible. Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or television for possible warnings.

(NOAA radio is on)

Tonight
Mostly cloudy and breezy. Numerous showers and scattered thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may be severe. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Clouds all day long...

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2007
10:27 PM

Post #3238663

I wish we had a basement, too.

It turned out to be a "lamb" day.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on March 01, 2007
63 F / 17 C
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 21 F / -6 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the NW

Picture from yesterday

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #3238688

Super cool Kelli! Looks like he's regenerating a couple of limbs.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #3238798

Sharon: Our forecast and yours sound very similar.
Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may be severe with large hail and damaging winds. Windy and not as cool with lows in the upper 50s. South winds increasing to 25 to 35 mph this evening...then decreasing to 15 to 25 mph after midnight.
Gusts up to 45 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent. Tornado watch in effect until 2AM EST.

March is definitely doing it's Lion thing!

Kelli: Great little starfish.

Deb

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #3238814

Kelli - great picture!
Deb - I agree...I hope your weather is better than ours!

Here's another phal pic from last season

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3238819

Kelli - I can hardly wait till the gkids come over this evening to show them the starfish. It's beautiful. Like a Lamb, be ready then the end of the month :)
MySharona - what a list of different types of weather coming your way - take care. Love the clouds; too bad they aren't benevolent. Just read your weather, too, Deb; sounds awful.
3pm. Remained at 11*F all day, so that's good it didn't drop, sunny and howling winds.
Gusting still 50's and a few into the 60mph.
Gson's class - folk dance
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3238845

Happy March 1st!. Temps in the mid forties, snow is melting - yeh! Later today, wind is picking up, gusts to 40 mph. Supposed to get 1-2" of rain. Local flooding forecast. Our Susquehanna River originates in NY State and we will be getting a lot of snow melt Plus ice jams.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3238944

Tornados all over Alabama, some deadly. some popping up in Georgia too. and tremendous thunderstorms where there aren't tornados. Ice storms intense snow roads closed: Iowa, Mich, Minn, Ill -- March didn't come in like a lamb everywhere...
I think it's more like March coming in like a Lion I've been hooked to the weather channel all afternoon. Those poor people who lost kids in that school in Enterprise, Alabama.

oh heck I thought i was on the storm thread. ~~~ we had another typical chilly late winter day with some sun and many clouds. and no nasty weather of any kind.
~Blooms
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3239122

The last count I heard was 18 dead in Alabama.
15 at that school that was hit.
Keep Them, their Families and the Rescue workers in Your Hearts...

Ric
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3239195

OMG Blooms that is terrible, why where the school open when there was tornado warnings.
Janett
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3239369

HOWLING winds today. Started out in the 40s and dropped to 35 before I left work. It was not a nice day. I hears about the school when I got home. That is horrible. I feel sorry for them.

Sharon- How is tressa doing? Any change?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3239414

I'm so sorry to hear about the deaths - how heartbreaking. My sympathy to all the families.
Kiska
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #3239551

How awful that those kids were taken in Alabama. Sharon, how's Teresa? T & Ps!!!
It's cold and rainy out in Philly.
I'm busy looking for good place in Delaware to purchase a new camera on my way to Maryland tomorrow.
No sales tax!!!
Packing the van is such a chore.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3239570

Raining here, not too cold or windy, everyone stay dry, warm and safe.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3239787

It's 41 and windy tonight with a steady rain falling. The whole tri-state area is under a flood watch. Temps are going to drop back into the 20's for the weekend and the start of next week before rebounding back into the 30's. It will take a lot of warmth and rain to melt all of the snow still on the ground here. Great photos everyone!

Summer dragonfly...

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #3239900

now the wind has picked up - to warm for the pipes to freeze though - so as long as "la casa doublewide" does not blow over - all is well.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
11:30 AM

Post #3240284

Hi everyone - so sorry to hear about the tornados in Alabama - what horrible news.

Someone needs to fill me in on all these lambs and lions running around ... I'm guessing there's a hidden meaning in there somewhere ;-) lol

Wind's picked up again today, it's lightly overcast which means it's cloudy but still bright (thin clouds) and it's "warmed" up a bit - 35F now at noon. Still feels colder than yesteday because of the cold north wind ...

Hope the storms are over and eveyone is safe!

Sidney - have a safe journey! No sales tax sounds nice - esp. when you have to pay 25% tax on cameras ;-)

Hope you all have a nice day!

Rannveig
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
12:02 PM

Post #3240357

Rann Lion/Lamb: : )

The saying goes if March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb and if March comes in like a lamb, it goes out like a lion.

The saying above refers to the weather. If the weather is bad (cold and snowy) at the beginning of March, then the end of March (going out) will be calm (like a lamb). If the weather is mild at the beginning of the month, then it is said that the end of March will end with bad weather.

Janett Tornados can strike quickly. One never really knows until the Doppler stations start picking them up. Children are at school, businesses are open, etc.

It is so sad about these deadly tornados. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the affected areas. They seem to be everywhere in this storm system. Our NOAA radio started around 4:00am. Had to call my friend in Bryceville to make sure they were getting safe. Luckily they system was about 2 miles north of their house, although they did loose some tree limbs from the winds. The radio continued to sound off until 6:00am. We had a really bad thunderstorm go through, lots of wind and rain, but nothing damaging.

Tressa update she is still in critical condition and a coma. She now has ventilator assisted pneumonia (most people in hospitals that are on ventilators for extended times get pneumonia), a feeding tube and a tracheotomy. The docs have acknowledged brain damage, but they dont know the extent of it since she still has not come out of the coma. Her father has court ordered guardianship, he will be moving her to South Carolina when she is stable enough to transport which could be sometime late next week. :( She's 25 y/o.

Tornado Watch 52 in effect until 8 am EST this morning...
- Rest of Today
Breezy. Showers and isolated thunderstorms early in the morning...then chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 69. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph shifting to the west 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

63.7 F / 17 C
Light Rain
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 58 F / 15 C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9 km/h from the WNW
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 29.74 in / 1007.0 hPa
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 900 ft / 274 m
Mostly Cloudy 2000 ft / 609 m
Overcast 4000 ft / 1219 m
(Above Ground Level)

Robin

Thumbnail by MySharona

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #3240668

This is not my back yard, but the snow is melting and spring can't be far behind.

windy 30mph with gusts to 50 Temp 35 Cloudy and a few flurries.

Thumbnail by gardengus

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3240731

Thanks for clearing that up Sharon - I guess you can expect nice weather at the end of March then since you've had such terrible storms now. So sorry to hear about Tressa - my heart really goes out to her and her family - and those who lost loved ones in those horrible tornadoes as well ...

Gardengus - that is a really cool photo. I'm guessing we're all ready for spring ;-)

rannveig

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3240738

I'm certainly ready! Warm and sunny today, may get to 50F, but cold and snowy for the weekend.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3240739

Well it's wet and not too cold outside. Several places are flooding, so I'll venture south tomorrow.
Am going to NJ for some Lottery tickets and fuel this afternoon and do a little pampering of meself.
Teresa remains in my prayers.
Sidney

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 10:01 AM
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
3:53 PM

Post #3241121

7:45am; 6*F, w/chill of Minus 18*F, the wind is continuing to howl. Sunrise at 7:55, Sets at 6:23 Gain of 5m - 51 seconds.
E_B - The photo of the dragonfly/dew drops is so pretty.
Rann - must be the same North winds blowing across the northern latitudes..sure has been bitter cold for days now.
Sugarweed, hope you get the lucky lottery ticket :) Have a great day of pampering.
Sharon - Thoughts and prayer's go out to your friend/family. Love seeing the robin; hope they get underway to be here in a few months.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3241312

Sharon, purple and beautiful! Those phal's have the neatest shapes.

Kiska, love the London Bridge. I didn't know they still did it in school. It brought back memories!

Bloms, the school story was awful. Our power went off and popped back on. I had the computer and satellite on. I had to wait for everything to come up and just shut it all down. Luckily it was Thursday and My Name is Earl and The Office was on!! Otherwise local TV is bad.

Sugar, a new camera sound nice. No tax even better!

Early, another beautiful picture, but sigh, summer is still a dream here.

Rann, we can finally share something interesting with you! :))

Well said Sharon, (lion and lamb.) I'm so sorry for your friend. That is so sad.

Gardengus, that is a neat picture!

Sugar, since we din't buy lottery tickets I'll send a wish for you to win big! You pamper away!!

Kiska that is a striking picture. WOW!

WINDY! a bit of blowing snow, and it isn't cold at 33°

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3241328

Gee, Gardengus, I thought Indiana was full of mountains like that. ;-)

I love your basketball-playing robin, Sharon. With Dwayne Wade out, maybe the Miami Heat will pick him up. ;-)

With baseball on t.v. today, can spring be far behind? :-) (Baseball makes me happy.)

Someone asked earlier about the freesia picture I posted. They are in my yard and they are fragrant as long as it is warm.

Windy today. The low-ish humidity suggests Santa Anas.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on March 02, 2007
59 F / 15 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 25 mph / 41 km/h / 11.3 m/s

The wisteria are just starting to bloom. Sometimes they start in January, but this year has been colder than the past couple.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3241441

Bright sun, absolutely clear skies (BLU) and 60(F) - headed outside.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #3241457

It's reached the forecast high of 43*
lotsa sun few clouds slight breeze
still feels like winter
nothing flowering as yet
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3241488

Rain ended this AM - Lots and lots of water from about 1-1/2 inch of rain and melting snow. I can't believe it is almost 55 degrees, very windy - to help dry up the water. The sun feels like SPRING! Spent the morning debugging my computer - it takes this amateur so long. Now I can get out and go.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3241699

T'was me Kelli, I wondered if Freesias were a wildflower for you.

Sharon, I forgot to enlarge your robin photo. Cool! I didn't know they were so close in color to a basketball. We have had robins for a week now. Yayyy!

Oh Dyson, headed outside sounds so good!!

Seeds, you got a bigger storm than us. I wish we had gotten more rain.

Still 33° and WINDY. Where is that lamb?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3241843

Oh, billy - I think that lamb is lost :)
Hurricane force winds here yet today - bitter cold (minus 10 w/chill), but sunny. Gusts to 85mph so it really rips the car door out of your hands if not holding on tightly. (I just returned from shopping)..
Kelli - I love wisteria - such a wonderful reminder of growing up in NCalif;
Glad your computer is now taken care of se_ds. That's a good feeling.
Guess now we can say "Dyson bright" - good to hear that, Dyson.
GS shedding curls for a hockey team-spirit mohawk...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007

Post #3241846

Oh mi, I'm gonna try:
Sharon playing basketball with a robin LOL
Gus showing us one of the highest peaks in IN - more LOL
Dyson is out of the dark and out of doors. Hurrah.

Kiska has a hole to spring in those clouds above what looks to be a glacial cirque.
Sidney is headed southward again looking for covered work. Oh good. Hated to think of you working in the late winter storms of Pennsylvania.

I spoke too soon, the temps took a dip, the wind came up and it's snowing on the mountains. Radar shows it will be short lived but it sure is dropping the temps. The pic is of an oasis outside of Palm Springs.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3241850

posted at the same time Kiska, dang but he is a cutie. at least the hair will grow back.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3241957

I'm with Blooms!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3241970

Blooms - yes, it's only for a short time, no pun intended, and, maybe it'll be curlier than ever.
Is it still cold? Love the oasis, bet it brings wild animals to the area.
Kiska
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3241973

I, too, posted at the same time, thanks billy. He's our oldest GS.
Kiska
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3242094

I've heard that there are lot of good-looking men in Alaska. From what I've seen, it must be true.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on March 02, 2007
69 F / 21 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 17 F / -8 C
Wind: 15 mph / 24 km/h / 6.7 m/s from the North

This is the first that this plant has bloomed. I don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #3242129

Kelli - from what I remember (from long ago) the male/female ratio was about 27 to 1, there does not seem to be a need for a mathematician to figure out what is right for a woman or wrong for a guy with that kind of number (by the way my sister has been living there for 20+ years with the same dude).

The above ratio may vary from area to area and is by no means a true sample of the entire state ... therefore no responsibility will be assumed for inaccurate data. Or a reasonable facsimile thereof.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #3242156

Dyson, that trip to the cabin sounds wonderful.
Kelli- on behalf of my grandsons, I accept your compliment - pretty cute so far :)
Your plant is so unusual looking; and with such a pretty flower, too.
It's nearly 2pm, I dashed out into the wind just long enough to click the front yard. The sun still doesn't get high enough to shine on the north side of the house. The wind has ripped the gutter off, too. Minus 10*F w/chill. 18*F in sunlight.
Interesting numbers, Dyson. Wonder what the ratio is, now?
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3242177

I do not know but it was a ladies world when I was in Ketchikan in '87. Maybe you can call up some state stats and find out?

edit to say - the sun is setting & I am tired. (I used to be a "night person") but am fine with the sleep I am afforded.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 6:07 PM
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3242187

Ok -
Kiska
edited to add:
as of 2006: from State records:
Men make up: 51.7% of Alaska's pop.
Women make up: 48.3%.
Huge change ...

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 2:18 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3242380

E-B I love dragonflies just beautiful!
Cinda Whoevers backyard that is its awesome! Great picture!
Sidney Good Luck with the lottery. Pick some winning numbers! Hope you enjoyed the pampering!
Kiska- That is one amazing sky picture. Love the look on your GSs face as he watches the curls fall away! I agree with kelli you have some handsome men in your family!
Kelli your wisteria is already blooming?! Its so pretty, I had some at the last house I owned. Post the picture of you succulent in the cactus and succulent forum. Someone will know the name (and it will probably be PalmBob hes a genius!).
Dyson Sounds like you had a BLUtemous day!
Blooms lovely oasis the reflection is perfect!

Everyone thank you for the well wishes for Tressa. I have passed them on the her family.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy and cooler. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then scattered showers after midnight. Low48. Northwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Not as bad as last night/this morning.

Clouds around 11:45 this morning...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3243061

It was a beautiful sunny day here with the high near 50. Tonight the moon is nearly full and shining like a spotlight, throwing distinct shadows on the snow. The sky is full of stars and the clouds are literally flying by. It looks like something out of a fairytale.

By now, Great Horned Owls have nested and are sitting on their eggs.

early_bloomer

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2007
6:55 AM

Post #3243489

37, dark again
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
11:39 AM

Post #3243650

Early - Did you take the picture of the great horned owl? That's an awesome picture!
Dyson - Yep - I'd guess it would be dark at 3am!! It was dark here too! LOL!!
It's going to be a gloomy one today.

Now
Through 8:00 am...areas of light to occasionally moderate rain will continue over portions of northeast Florida and coastal southeast Georgia. Heaviest rainfall will occur from south of Live Oak to Lake City and Jacksonville. Movement of this activity will be northeast at 30 mph. Rainfall amounts will average less than a tenth of an inch an hour but slightly heavier amounts can be expected in the moderate rain.

Today
Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the morning...then a slight chance of rain in the afternoon. High 68. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Cedar Waxwings are back in the puddle again!

Thumbnail by MySharona

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3243721

Are the Cedar Waxwings finding something to eat ,or just playing? We have sunshine and cold 30 The sun was up up before me but not the darn cats, they
hate it when I try to sleep in. Plan to ready the garden shed for spring.(old photo,snow almost gone)

Thumbnail by gardengus

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #3243727

The temp here is up to 42F today, got some rain last night. Now it's cloudy and breezy. Not too bad.

Poor Selma Rn is still sick - took her to see a doctor today. Couldn't find any signs of bacterial infections so we'll just have to wait it out.

Lovely photos Kiska, Kelli, Blooms and EB :-)

rannveig
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #3243735

Sharon and Gardengus - great photos as well! Sharon I just love those Waxwings - so pretty :-)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
12:46 PM

Post #3243753

Cinda - they're playing, bathing and sipping water. It seems there are thousands of them on the island now. They travel in packs of what seems to be hundreds. I love watching them. Our little bandits!
Rann - I hope Selma Rn gets better fast. Poor baby has been sick for a while. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2007
12:46 PM

Post #3243756

Very bright sun (i get to see it so seldom) Blu skies, temp 53, Home alone, wonder what mischief I can get into today (as long as the pager stays silent). Maybe I can repot some of the dying veggie starts before they all actually dye,

I started dancing to the music on the weather channel - Sue (DW) said "you are so silly" I said "thats why you love me" heck if it works - go with it.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 9:24 AM
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #3244356

Started off gloomy today, but turned gloriously sunny! Our Bradford pear has little tiny blossoms. I've been out weeding. I also planted the first of my window boxes. I installed three. Big plans there! Hope they pan out.
Right now, 58F and sunny.
High today 69.
Low tonitght 40.
Light breeze.
Perfect spring day. :)

Pic below is the incredibly bright sky round noon.

(Dyson: Silly is good!)

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #3244418

I asked on the indentification forum what my plant was and it is Aloinopsis schooneesii. You all knew that, right? ;-)

It is very windy today - a lot windier than this weather report would suggest. The low humidity that we often have is the reason why I am reluctant to try orchids. I don't want to have to mist stuff every day. I won't be a slave to my plants.

Updated: 10:09 AM PST on March 03, 2007
Observed at: Gonzales Drive, Woodland Hills, California
Elevation: 984 ft / 299 m
68.4 F / 20.2 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 22 F / -6 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11.3 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17.7 km/h

I don't remember the name of this.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #3244437

Kelli: Well, whatever it is, it's striking! Really nice.
Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3244520

Kelli - That's beautiful!! FYI - orchids do great in the bathroom.
Deb - we also started gloomy, but now it's gorgeous!

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3244573

Wonderful pictures of birds and blooms!

Rann, so sorry Selma is still sick, and over a weekend too. That alone makes you feel miserable.

Sunshine peeking thru clouds! It's only 27 and breezy. Still a good day to stay in.

I made a tomato pie from tomato slices in the freezer.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 3, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #3244749

11:15am, 7*F, sunny and bright.
Rann - hopefully Selma R`un will be getting better soon.
Kelli - another beautiful flower to brighten my day, (and others, too).
billy - that's the first I've heard of a tomato pie; "like" a pizza?
Deb - looks great there with those cotton ball clouds; Sharon, turned out nice for your area, too..What a tree full of birds - wow
Sunset last night at the river. The road down is pure ice, pretty touchy, but we made down and back.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 3, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3244760

Also from down at the river - Chugach Range
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #3244797

Beautiful pictures Kiska!

Green tomatoes with a tinge of pink sliced into an unbaked pie shell. Season and top with chedder cheese mixed into Miracle Whip or Mayo. Your preference. Bake like you do a pie. The recipe is posted on Recipes clear back to last fall. It's tangy and we really like it. I think prebaking the pie crust for 10 minutes, after brushing it with milk, is better.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 3, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3244830

billy - thanks; it was too cold and icy to get out of the truck, (the camera freezes, wimpy thing), so they're not creative, just what we see.
I like tomatoes, so will try a smaller version of the pie. thanks.
Palmer Airport at sunset.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3244873

Great Pics All.
Bright. Clear.
39* at 2 in the afternoon. conclude it's not going to really reach the 45 predicted except if you are standing in the sun.
Humidity at 15%

Poor Rann, it is so hard to have our babies be sick.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3244888

I forgot to add this site. It's a heads up to Sharona, Pati, and other east coast folks. Take your camera out at sunset/full moon rise cause the moon is gonna come up all red from being totally eclipsed. Here's the Space News:
http://spaceweather.com/

I assume it has made all the local tv channels. There's also a web cam site in Georgia, but I can't get it to come up.

Kiska, I love that you skidded your way down to the river and back and it was too cold to get out of the truck. Sounds like just my kind of adventure. Plus "just what you see" is pretty amazing stuff to us in the lower 48. ~Blooms
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3244950

Blooms, thanks for the heads-up! BTW, that's a neat site. It took me a minute to realize that there IS weather other than the June to November Hurricane web sites! LOL
Pati
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 3, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3245075

What a great link, Blooms - that will bear more looking at in depth.
After all the years here, we still love "just what we see" :) Today the wind has died down and it's up to 15*F, sunny and bright.
Kiska
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3245275

Kiska Beautiful pictures! Amazing what you just see everyday! Surrounded by beautiful mountains : )
Blooms Id love to see the eclipsehopefully the skies will clear here. We started getting cloudy again around 3:00 then it rained now were cloudy again and a tad chilly!

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s inland...in the mid 40s coast. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight.

Had to go to the airport today ... don't know the type of geese, but here they are...

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3245277

Pretty clouds on the way to Jacksonville

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007

Post #3245279

Started getting ugly fast. Boat heading to the marina.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3245297

dark... again sigh, 46 (about), at least the wind has stopped howling,
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3245303

Thanks for the well wishes everyone ... we're getting pretty "sick" of being sick ... it'll be a week tomorrow that Selma Rn's been ill, and Hildur Eva was sick the week before that. I'm hoping that this flu thing will be over soon ... not feeling well at all myself ... have had a terrible headache all day ... off to bed.

Kiska - love the photos :-)

Sally - that tomato pie looks yummy :-)

Kelli - gorgeous blooms :-)

Sharon - love the bird photos - that's A LOT of waxwings! lol

Debi - glad you had such a wonderful spring day :-) I'm so looking forward to those days :-) Aren't they just the best ...

Have a good night! Anyone catch the full moon??

rannveig
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3245306

Sharon we cross posted - looks like you too had a wonderful sunny day ... at least part of a day :-) Great photos :-)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #3245343

Dyson - glad the wind has died down.
Rann - A couple of stars are peeking out, but no moon yet. Still too cloudy.
Another goose pic..

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3245484

Tried to see that pink moon tonight. I think it was over before is rose in my area. It is wading clouds at this time. Once the March full moon occurs, we can plant 'pulling onions", spinach, radishes and red beets.

Of course I have to be able to get the rototiller to turn the soil - most of it is still frozen LOL. Beautiful day today. Clouds/sun. 55 degrees, windy. It is coming.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3245559

We had forgotten about the eclipse so we only caught the very tail end.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #3245779

Well, I pulled over and took several very shaky pictures of the moon. I'm in South Maryland looking for motel rooms for me and others.
Sidney
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 4, 2007
3:04 AM

Post #3245932

Nearly 7pm; no moon yet but it's sure been a gorgeous one so far these past few days. It's 10*F, calm. A couple of moose just wandered through.
Sugarweed, hope you're settled in. Anxious to see some of the moon photos.
Sharon, in addition to the robin's heading north, we'll be expecting geese, too..nice to see them there, but they need to get started :)
Rann, hope by the time you see this, Selma R`un will have improved.
Here's one more of last night's sunset.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
9:52 AM

Post #3246384

Kiska - that's a gorgeous sunset! We didn't see very much of the eclipse. No parking at the beach! Ended up having to go to bed - must work today...:P
Now - DysonDark!
50.4 F / 10 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h from the -
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Freeze watch in effect from late tonight through Monday morning...
Today
Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Soxy was snoozin until it started sprinkling on her..

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3246688

Great pic of Soxy! The wind isn't howling anymore. I am soooo glad. It was starting to get on my nerves.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3246814

Well, will the weather ever let up down there Sharon? I doubt that the pictures are any goot at all. even with image stableizer they were anything but moon like. It's cold outside, I'm in Camp Springs, Md and I am on a shop for 2 rooms for a month or so.
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3246820

The wind has died here also, however the temps seem to be dropping as the day progresses, about 37deg now.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3246851

Still windy and cloudy up here in Millersburg, Pa. Temps dropped to 31 degrees and an occasional snowflake . LOL
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3246984

I thought it was all over (winter) for us this far south, but supposed to get down to 42 tonight! No snickering and pointing fingers please, cold is relative to the thickness of your blood , (so "they" say), and mine has little viscosity!

I'm "critter sitting" for my DD who is COLD in TN for her granddaughter's birthday. All her cats and one dog, Jack Russell, Tootie, are in-door out-door animals, but tonight they are all in-doors. The fish in the aquarium on the patio will just have to suck up!
Pati
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3247048

*snickering*
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3247112

Seams that spring is well on its way here...(keep fingers toes legs and arms crossed) as the snow has metled away good the last two days.
Best sign of spring isnt what you think hehe its when the first rumbling sound can be heard and a few seconds later its followed by the site of a big fat Harley cruising down the read.

Sunny
Temp 48 F
and absolutly no wind at all not even a wisper.
Janett
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #3247138

Around here when it is above freezing you will see Harleys on the road.
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3247189

Not here you dont as they cost far to much to take the chance of hitting a coldspot on the road.
A new Harley cost about 1 1/2 million Swedish Crowns an older around half a mill.
Janett

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 4, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3247254

Hey, guys ! I've just seen this ! Your pics are great, as always ! Our weather is changing from cold to too much warm and it kills us with headaches and dizziness ! The temps are from 51 in the morning to 65-70 at noon !

Deb,yesterday morning we had this sky, looking so much like yours !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 4, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3247271

The trees are blooming !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 4, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #3247274

It rained today and the clouds were so black !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 4, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3247281

They were getting away ...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 4, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #3247286

And the sun was shinning again !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3247403

I thought I had my recipe posted, but guess not. I'll put it here for you Sharon.

Beautiful sky pictures Adina!

Pepper, same here with the Harleys!

I was watching "Before There Were Dinosaurs" and missed the eclipse. Argh!

Kiska, gorgeous sunset!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3247459

Billy, one time I was in a restaurant and I overheard some woman say, "...tomato pie - that is soooo Pennsylvania." I am from PA and I never heard of tomato pie, but now I know what it is.

Windy again today but not annoying.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on March 04, 2007
69 F / 21 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 15 F / -9 C

We spent yesterday afternoon in the Santa Monica Mountains again. These are live-forevers. They are beautiful. The picture doesn't do them justice.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3247491

The white-flowered bushes are ceanothus. There are also species with blue flowers but they bloom later.

The freeze that we got in January must have been a lot colder than it has gotten in a long time. I noticed that there were a lot of laurel sumacs with severe cold damage. All of the leaves had turned brown. Laurel sumacs are native shrubs. They grow back from the roots after fires and I am guessing they will do the same after a severe freeze.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3247503

This is a waterfall. You can't see the water in the picture. You can't see the water in real life. DH looked at it with binculars and said that the stream of water was three or four inches wide. I can't judge heights so I don't now how tall it is, but at the base, you can see the white trunk of a sycamore tree. (Here is a picture taken by someone with a better camera and presumably better climbing skills than I have. http://www.smugmug.com/community/Landscape/keyword/falls/1/63516061#64036457)

I have other pictures of other things but I don't want to bore you. Let me know if you want to see more. I realize that my S M Mountains pictures probably all look the same to someone who wasn't there.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2007 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3247835

Very nice, always enjoy anything green this time of the year. This is the view out my back doorwall.

Thumbnail by gardengus

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3247887

Kelli, I got to laughing over your waterfall! You're mountain's are like no one elses. I like to see them. DH doesn't like to travel, so this is it for me seeing the world.

Gardengus, that's pretty! We don't have enough on the ground to be pretty.

We are up to 35° and sunny. It's just breezy!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3247979

It's in the high 40s-mid 50s. Niiiiice out.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 4, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3248134

Nearly 2pm; 15*F, sunny, w/fire out on the deck in chimera...no wind; nice day to sit in the sunlight. (Me and my kitty)...she's loving being outside again.
What a wonderful range of temps and photos; I love seeing SCalif, Kelli- it's dispelled many misconceptions I've had. There are so many pretty places around your area.
The storm clouds, Adina, are fantastic.
Thanks for the Tomato pie recipe - nice to know to drain the tomatoes, first.
Very pretty there, gardengus>
patti - poor fish; if 42*F seems cold to you, then it's cold :)
Janett_D - enjoy the springtime - we'll do the same in a couple of months.
Sidney, even if you're not happy w/photos, so glad you saw last night's moon.
pepper23 - I'm w/you about the wind - so glad when it's gone.
Sharon - your kitty is really perched up there taking in the world and sunshine.
Broken ice shelves along the river.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #3248142

Kelli, here's a pic from one of my hikes in the Santa Ana mtns off of the Ortega Hghwy.. It's a watch your footing kind of area, the soil seems to be zillions of little granite pellets ready to roll away when you step on them. I love seeing your pics.

It's 49* out with 19% humidity. sun, clear skies.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 4, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3248176

Blooms - love that tree - its huge lowhanging branch would sure bring you up short on a dark night...either way, watch your step seems to be in order.
This section of ice reminds me of a whale's tail..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #3248185

Ortega Hwy!!!! I was up and down that hwy at least 4 times in one day 3 yrs ago!! I would love to see it again!! We burned up the brakes on the van we were driving we went up and down it so many times. For those of you who have never heard of it or been on it, it is a steep, twisting mountain hwy that is hard on your vehicle. But the views are awe inspiring.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3248188

Love that pic too!! Andd yours Kiska!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3248409

Kiska, what are some of the misconceptions that you had about southern CA. Me, the first time I was here, I was surprised at how hilly it was. I don't know why, but I was expecting it to be flat like Florida.

Blooms, it looks like it looks prettys similar down there as it does up here. There's no granite up here, though.

This is Zuma Creek a couple miles downstream from that waterfall.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3248415

I think this is coast wood-fern.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3248417

chaparral currant

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3248488

Hello! It clouded over in the afternoon so we couldn't see the eclipse.

Sharon: Soxy is so cute up there! We're predicted to have a hard freeze tonight also. Low of 27, they say. I had just put the plants outside, so...now they're back in. Boooo!

Patischell: I, too thought winter was gone! Silly me. I'm with you on the viscosity problem! :) Brrrr!

Adina: Yes! Same sky and same temps! And wow! Those storm clouds are amazing. We also have trees starting to bloom. Our peach & pear trees are just starting to show color.

Kelli: Enjoying your hillsides. Landscape so different from here
Blooms: Cool tree. You know, I can hardly imagine 19% humidity. ;-)

I cut a few azaleas and daffs today, since they may be all brown tomorrow morning. :-( This vase has 4 of the 6 diff colors of azaleas in our yard. The other two bloom later.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3248905

What a beautiful vase of goodies Deb.
All the pictures are great!
Adina, do they call that spring illness caused by a "Fern", a Mediterrainian draft or wind?
I am in Waldorf, Md and going to work tomorrow night at Chalk Point, Md's largest power generating plant.
Here it's Observed at: Rolling Acres, Cheltenham, Maryland
Elevation: 190 ft / 57 m
31.8 F / -0.1 C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 13 F / -11 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph / 12 km/h,
Gonna be brisk all week.
Gave instructions at home to cover all the tender plants, especially coleus.
Sidney

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3249108

Aaaah Azaleas! I associate them with dew. Something we simply do not have.
It's that low humidity thing. limits some of my garden choices.

I'm pretty sure that's what they called the crumbly stuff that had me fanny ski-ing a coupla times.
We were near San Juan Creek, in fact we stumbled into and out of the campground there and got a bit mixed up finding our return trail tee hee. We've been back since then. I get fascinated with the variety of flowering things in such a harsh sort of environment.

here's a pic of the native peony

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #3249154

Blooms those look almost like you could eat them. Ah the lack of humidity! Is that why I have had cronic static electricity the last few days?
Sidney
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #3249243

It's nearly nine pm, hovering around Zero. No wind here, but is blowing in town; makes everyday errands a real pain as the winds cut right through.
Kelli - I'd always imagined SCal to be dry, barren, and flat. Also, that there would be nowhere to go w/out being among crowds. I see I was really mistaken and thanks so much for all your photos.
Deb, peach and pear and azaleas and it's just beginning down there, isn't it?Sounds wonderful.
Yesterday's moose.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
10:07 AM

Post #3249414

Good Morning!

Thank you everyone - your prayers are strong! Tressa has opened her eyes! She is following everything around her with them, but she can not speak. Please keep praying for continued improvement.
I was a little late getting a picture of Soxy. Before it started sprinkling all we saw was the end of her tail and one white foot sticking up in the air! I was just grabbing the camera when the weather changed.
Sidney maybe well have Winter/Spring all year!! No I really think its going to be another rough summer for us.
Adina great pictures! Isnt it amazing how quickly the weather changes? We did that yesterday warm/cool/cold depending on where you were. We wore t-shirts and shorts to jeans and sweats.
BP thanks for the recipe I couldnt find it.
Kelli your mountains are beautiful! Such a beautiful place to take a hike. I was in Santa Ana a long time ago visiting a friend and remember sitting in the drivers seat of the car looking up at the mountain saying you want me to drive up THAT?!!
Blooms do you get to hike in your mountains a lot? We love your pictures.
Cinda You and Kiska are still freezing! Brrrrr!
Deb the azaleas have taken off here as well. They are so pretty, the pinks are my favs.
Kiska great pictures! The moose are great!

We hit 38 last night, no freeze.
Today
Sunny. High 61. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chills 29 to 34 early this morning.

40.1 F / 4 C
Clear
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 17 F / -8 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa
Windchill: 37 F / 3 C

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3249656

I love everyone's pictures! I don't have time to respond to everyone, but I'm praising God that Tressa is conscious! I'll continue praying for her recovery. Sidney, I hope you're feeling better, and Selma Run, too.

It was quite chilly here last night, too. It didn't get down to freezing, but came close enough! LOL It is going to be in the mid 60s today and then slowly get warmer as the week goes on. The humidity is creeping slowly up, too, but there isn't a chance of rain until Saturday, which is very unusual for us!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (11 min ago)
Temperature 46 F 8 C
Dew Point 32 F 0 C
Humidity 58%
Pressure 30.54 in 1034.2 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 36.0F / 2.2C
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3249663

What wonderful news Sharon! Hope she'll continue to improve :-)

Great photos all! Kelli - I love your photos of the Santa Monica mountains - like Kiska - I had no idea S-california was so hilly :-)

Blooms - wonderful photos as well - that paeonie is pretty :-)

Adina - great photos and I see spring is rolling in there - looking forward to more wonderful spring photos ;-)

Debi - those azaleas are so pretty - hope it didn't get as cold as predicted and they're still flowering away!

Well - Selma Rn is finally recovering - I'm pretty sure she can go back to school tomorrow - FINALLY!! And I'm almost rid of the headache so hopefully I'll be well enough to go outside and prune the trees in a few days ;-) The birch needs a haircut very soon before the sap starts flowing - it's a "bleeder" ...

It's partly cloudy today, 44F and a bit breezy - a fairly nice day :-)

The snowdrops are coming up :-)

Hope you all have a great one!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #3250046

7am; Zero, winds again gusting into the 50's, windchill from -18F and lower. Just another day in late winter - the same as it was in 2003, for sure.
Sharon, so happy to hear of Teressa's improvement.
Rann - perhaps this is the week of everyone better...
Marylyn_TX, sounds as if it's a nice day for your area.
Another windy day. Wish you could feel the intense cold :)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #3250468

Kiska, I'd as soon NOT feel the intense cold. The cold we do get here is enough to suit me. Remember I ran away from intense winter cold and snow. Now I whine about temps that I used to consider mild.

The last two pics were from the coastal mountains of southern California. I was showing Kelli she's not the only one who likes hiking in that area. I get to go there when I visit DD - CrystalSpin and absolutely love all the little flowers and flowering bushes we see when we go there.
Here's a little plant called "MilkMaids"

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3250484

Forgot:
Low 25*F
expected Hi 62*F
Right now [11:20] 50*F
Humidity 32% getting up there
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3250539

Blooms, seems you don't miss the cold one bit :) I'd sure like to spend time in your area someday. (in the winter). Maybe after retirement. It must be a real thrill to look across the gorges and into the earth. The rock formations/ etc; it all looks so pretty in the photos I've seen. Went to GCanyon once, just the touristy area, in Nov.,a few years ago, and it was fantastic. There were less than a couple of dozen of us there, so we had wide open views.
Sunny, 6 degrees, windy.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #3250649

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the pictures. I like to show that CA is more than freeways, movie stars, gangbangers, weird people, and poseurs. (Maybe it's just the places I go - or don't go - but I've only seen maybe three weird people in the 20 years I've lived here. Or maybe it means that I'm one of them. LOL!) I'll have more flower pictures as time goes by. It won't be a super flower year because it has been so dry but there are always some things.

Blooms, I saw some CA peonies this weekend but they weren't blooming yet. I think that things are a little behind this year, but I could be wrong.

Nice azeleas, Deb. I rarely see them around here. The soil is too alkaline for their liking.

It might be warmer outside than it is in the house.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on March 05, 2007
74 F / 23 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 10%
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable

Another color of tulip

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 11:10 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3250727

Howdy, so glad to hear about Teresa, soon she will be talking again is my continued prayer.
It's 54º here, but up to 30 mph winds.
Gonna catch some shut eye before I go in tonight.
Sidney
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3251004

Kelli the peony pic was mid-March in 2004
Is this the kind of view you were looking for Kiska?
That's my DD in the archway.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2007

Post #3251088

Blooms - that's 100% better than anything I could have imagined - wow - It's huge and she's nearly lost in the scale of things. Wonderful.
Good night, Sidney -
Kelli - you've dispelled that image beautifully - love the tulip.
Winds gusting, blowing snow, on & on & on &on :) Longer days are very encouraging, though.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3251119

So many neat pictures, I can't comment on all of them. You know spring is coming when the photos start to show up!

36 and cold! The sun feels good, but the breeze is still icy. I want warmer weather, but then the tree blossoms will freeze. Patience.

Red winged blackbirds. They have never come to the feeders before.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3251409

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on March 05, 2007
82 F / 28 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 7%
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SSE

Mammillaria lauii

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3251555

Sharon: Wonderful news about Tressa!
Rann: That's a healthy lookin' bunch o' snowdrops. Post a pic when they open pleeeez!
Blooms: 32% humidity would be an unusually dry day for us. :)
Kelli: That's my favorite color tulip. Last time I planted some, the squirrels ate 'em.

We did get a freeze last night but I don't think it was as bad as predicted. It was 30F on my back porch just before sun-up, so I don't think it hit the 26 mark we had feared. Most of the flowers seem to have survived pretty well.
Low tonight: 34F
Hi tomorrow: 64F. Ahhhh.

No chance for photos today. I'll try again tomorrow.

Deb
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3251735

Sharon, sounds like Teresa has had many prayers said for her. Here's hoping for the best.

Sugar: Welcome to the Middle Atlantic States! If you think it is cold today, wait till you get off work tomorrow. It is currently 28 degrees, wind at 35 mph with gusts to 50. Tomorrow should be bright, sunny and windy. Wednesday we shall have snow. Crazy weather fluctuations - 'nice way of putting it'. LOL

Last year I had the garden -rotortilled and spring pulling onions planted by now.

Kiska, be careful, understand Ak is slated for a lot of snow. We so much enjoy your posts and pictures.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3252168

Kelli - what a wonderfully delicate flower; so pretty.
Se_eds, thanks for the heads up about the coming snow. It's going to be good if it does. At least the clouds will roll in and it will warm up a bit. Still below zero nights but up to 8 to 12 degrees during the afternoon. The photo exchange is a favorite part of this thread, glad you're enjoying my part of Alaska.
Deb - glad your plants seemed to have survived the cold.
September in Prince William Sound.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2007
9:56 AM

Post #3252960

Great pictures everyone!
Sindey - no freeze last night.
Its DysonDark and chilly.

Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of frost away from the coast and river early this morning. High 67. Northeast winds 10 to15 mph.
39.4 F / 4 C
Clear
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the WSW
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa

Squirrel jumped from a tree to the bird feeder at working - he had that feeder swinging!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #3253518

Hi everyone - great photos :-)

Blooms - that is one fantastic view! WOW!

It's a beautiful day - sunny (partly cloudy), only a slight breeze and 45F :-) Sure feels like spring. Better enjoy it while it lasts - I'm sure we have colder days to come ;-)

I went to an annual book market today which is held in Perlan (the pearl) in Reykjavk. Took the camera along so I'll be posting a few of those in the coming days ;-) This was my second time there so I didn't buy as many books as last time ... all children's books ...

So here's a photo of The Pearl ... it's a glass dome built on top of old hot water storage tanks that are no longer used for that purpose. One of the tanks now houses a history museum. There's an observation deck where you can get the best view of the city and surrounding towns and on the top floor is a restaurant with a revolving floor where you can enjoy the fantastic view while enjoying your food ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #3253522

Here's a view of Reykjavik (looking north)

hope you all have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3253631

7am, -10*F, finally, no wind. Now, if the forecast for snow in a few days is correct, it's going to be much warmer and I'm ready for that. And, it's light out...
Rann - sounds like a wonderful day - what an inventive way to utilize the old tanks. Very nice - I'd love to see that, too. Nothing better than a book sale, and Children's books, at that. Love seeing your photos.
MySharona - pretty squirrel, he must have taken quite a flying leap...
Errands to run, but if there's no wind, it's not quite the challenge. Cold and still beats cold and wind anyday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 6, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3254927

Unnecessarily hot. I wish I could send some your way, Kiska.

Updated: 3:10 PM PST on March 06, 2007
Observed at: West Valley, Winnetka, California
Elevation: 790 ft / 240 m
89.2 F / 31.8 C
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 36 F / 2 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the WSW

scarlet flax

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3255086

Kelli - that is hot!! Beautiful photo of the scarlet flax :-) I've grown those as an annual here - so very pretty :-)

Kiska - glad to hear the winds died down - nothing worse than icy winds that cut right through you ... make you want to stay inside cuddled in a warm blanket ;-)
I think the only thing that could beat a book sale is a plant sale ;-) Especially with the prices on books here - they're very expensive like everything else ... small market and all that.

Here's another photo from today - also looking north. That's mt. Esja in the background.

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3255454

It's up to nine degrees, 4pm, but the wind is back; it's clouding up so perhaps it will snow.
Kelli - 89* is verging on way too hot :) The blossom is just gorgeous; similiar to a hollyhock, in a way.
rann - Such a pretty town - Mt. Esja looks much like Alaska's Mt. Susitna, across from Anchorage.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3255494

rannveig...Great photos! All those the red roofs add so much impact. It sure looks like you had a beautiful day up there.

Blooms...the southwest sure is a beautiful place!

Kelli...I wish you could send a little of that warmth my way too. It was 0 to -5 degrees around the area this morning with a high only around 15 this afternoon.. Big warm up coming by the end of the week though. That scarlet flax looks like its floating.

Kiska...Mountains and moose! Keep-em coming!

Well, the weather here is supposed to break, with temps in the high 40's by Friday. There is still plenty of snow here but it's frozen solid. You can walk anywhere without breaking through.

As part of my ongoing effort to nudge spring along...here's a photo of Virginia Bluebells growing along Conneaut Creek. It was early May and I was trout fishing a remote part of the creek when I stumbled upon them.

early_bloomer

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3255620

Kelli - don't send it north - we need it to the east of you.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3255643

Hi All!
Sorry to be a bit of a 'no show' lately but I've worked 75 hours in the last 7 days...
All the pictures have been beautiful!

Currently 34 Dewpoint: 12 Wind: E 3 MPH
We're still WAY under ave temps but it may just be breaking by Thursday.
After that we are looking at temps in the upper 50's w/ lows in the low 40's for 5 days at least.
Average is 51 and 31...
we're now up to 11:32 hours of sunlight... 28 minutes till Spring!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3255664

Dyson - maybe we could share? some north, some east:)
E_B - nice nudge - they're beautiful and Conneaut Creek looks very pretty alongside the flowers. Sounds cold, too.
Posted same time - welcome back, ric - bet you'll enjoy the warmer weather.
Kiska

This message was edited Mar 6, 2007 5:04 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #3255696

Thanks Kiska!
That is one majestic but stone ugly animal! lol

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3255735

I'll see what I can do about sending some warmth east. ;-)

Rann, scarlet flax is an annual here, too. They'll bloom until it gets hot and stays hot.

Nice picture, early_bloomer.

This is the last flower of the Thanksgiving cactus rebloom. The yellow spots in the background are lemons.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3255791

Hi all!! Yesterday it got to 65* and today it got to 61* Not too much wind so we enjoyed it. Tomorrow supposed to be in 40s then jump back up to 60s again. Cold front is over us and moving back and forth from what I understand.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3255906

Rann the air is so crystal clear in your pictures of Reykjavik It is just wonderful.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3255935

Kiska...I read in the paper today that a moose took out a helicopter up there. A biologist had darted the moose and when they landed it charged, hit the tail rotor and disabled the copter. The moose was badly injured and had to be put down.

early_bloomer
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #3256396

E_B - yes, sounds like something from a movie, but it did happen. It was down in Southeast Alaska, at Gustavus.
Weather at 8:45pm: 0*F.
This was taken in Feb, and as of today, the ice continues to hang over the edge of the roof.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
8:48 AM

Post #3256530

Good morning!

Kiska - love the little moose and you're right Mt. Esja and Mt. Susitna could be sisters! lol How cool is that! I wouldn't want to be hit in the head with that thick ice hanging over the roof - I guess you better watch out when it starts to melt!

Kelli - beautiful Christmas cactus :-) I bet you don't have to go through the same kind of trouble to grow the scarlet flax down there - doesn't it self seed for you? Every annual has to be started inside here - I've always been evious of people who can actually just sprinkle the seed around outside where they want the flowers and then just wait for them to grow like it says on some of the seed packets. lol I think it would be so cool to have drifts of wonderful annuals like a flowering meadow ... and scarlet flax would just look fabulous in that kind of company ;-) One can always dream ...

EB - wonderful photo - those bluebells are really pretty - what is their latin name?

Ric - nice to hear from you again :-)

Thanks all on your kind comments - Reykjavik is a beautiful town and the air was pretty clear yesterday. There are days that it isn't that clear ...

It's cloudy today - but there are a few breaks in the clouds where you can spot some blue sky. It's 40F and fairly calm - we could get some rain showers later today according to the forecast. We'll see about that ... the last two days that have been pretty wonderful were supposed to be very WINDY and WET ... didn't get any of that fortunately :-) It's birght outside already when we wake up now so no more getting up in the dark until next fall :-) Yay for that!! lol

Here's another photo from yesterday - a continuation from the last one - turning right ( looking NE) :-) I'm sure you'll all be sick of Reykjavik by the time we've come full circle ... just scream enough already when you can't take it any more. lol

Hope you all have a great day :-)

rannveig
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
8:50 AM

Post #3256535

forgot the photo - here it is :-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
8:55 AM

Post #3256543

Still turning right - now looking East. The parking lot for Perlan in the foreground. That's still Reykjavik there in the distance.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2007
9:07 AM

Post #3256551

Last one for now - I promise!

Continuing to turn a bit to the right - still looking easward. The white little church sticking out of the trees is the chapel in one of Reykjavik's graveyards and it reaches out to the right where all the trees are. The mountains in the distance are named Blfjll (blue mountains) which is one of Reykjavik's skiiing areas. I think the ski lifts have been open about 4 days this winter ... it's just getting too warm to ski here. The houses in the distance behind the church and to the right of it are the neighboring town of Kpavogur.

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
9:54 AM

Post #3256578

Rann - Great pictures! Beautiful city.
Kelli - my Christmas cactus is blooming as well.
Kiska - Don't stand under the eave for very long. You'll get beaned by the ice when it melts!

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s inland...in the lower 70s coast. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph...with an afternoon sea breeze developing.

47.8 F / 8 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Sunset last night.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3257913

Rannveig what a lovely sight! I hope you will take those pics again when the grass greens up.

Gorgeous sunset MySharona!

Here it is lovely early spring day and it's blinding bright out there. The sun is out in all it's glory and the snow is reflecting the glare.

32 F / 0 C
Sunny
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 27 F / -3 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1017 hPa
Windchill: 23 F / -5 C

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3258070

10:50am - snowing, 10*F, sunrise, 7:39, sets, 6: 36, gain of 5m 52 sec. Slight wind.
Rann - I really love the photo tour and would put a visit to Iceland on my list of places to see.. just beautiful.
MySharona - is an afternoon sea breeze as nice as the term sounds? At least it'll keep the fog away.
A Feb. sunrise.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007

Post #3258872

Pam - sounds like you had a chilly, but lovely day!
Kiska - What an amazing picture! Just gorgeous! The sea breeze is as nice as it sounds. The air coming in from the ocean is cool. It's a lovely treat if it's warm enough to feel a little heat. Makes for a pleasant walk on the beach.

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 48. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph becoming west 5 PM after midnight.

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #3258906

It was too nice to be inside my office today. I did get to eat lunch outside at least. :)
Rann: I've been enjoying the pics from the Pearl.
Kiska and Sharon: Lovely sunsets and sunrises, as always. :)

I really, really think spring is here to stay! Yahoo!
Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph this evening...becoming light and variable.
Thursday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds around 5 mph .

The sky about 8 this morning..
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3259157

DAY Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed
HI (F) 50 55 54 55 61 65 62
LO(F) 22 25 33 39 38 41 42

Nuff Said!
Ric

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3259217

Dark, about 46, calm, it is too dark to see the sky.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3259245

Maybe you're in the Closet?

Ric
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
9:05 AM

Post #3260019

Howdy all.
Well I am getting ready to get some sleep. It snowed here and it took us an extra 20 minutes to get back to the motel. We leave work at 2:45 AM, and get here about 3:15. I'm in Waldorf, Md. I'll get some pictures the next few days. I am in the tool room and am very tickled about it.
I'll start a new thread this afternoon. Our weather is almost exactly what Ric said. Nuff said!
;)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
9:42 AM

Post #3260034

Good Morning! It's DysonDark here - not in the closet!
Sidney - Glad you have indoors work! If you get a chance take some pictures. I've never visited Maryland.

Baxter update - he's up to 7 lbs, eating like a horse, still has comgestion, but he's on the mend! No new news on Tressa. Hoping to hear something today.

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s inland...in the mid 70s coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northeast in the afternoon.

49.1 F / 9.5 C
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.0 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
9:49 AM

Post #3260037

Good Morning! It's DysonDark here - not in the closet!
Sidney - Glad you have indoors work! If you get a chance take some pictures. I've never visited Maryland.

Baxter update - he's up to 7 lbs, eating like a horse, still has congestion, but he's on the mend! Vet running a thyroid test - should have those results today. No new news on Tressa. Hoping to hear something today.

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s inland...in the mid 70s coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northeast in the afternoon.

49.1 F / 9.5 C
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.0 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2007
10:12 AM

Post #3260048

Good news on Baxter!
Give him a scritch for me!

Currently 21 heading for 50 ! Who'd of thought you could get excited by Ave temps...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2007
11:07 AM

Post #3260093

It will get to 60* unless the cold front moves in.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3260761

The sun is shining here today .most of the snow gone. Walked around to how the gardens faired ,lots of green , going to have a huge patch of batchlors buttons unless I weed some out. Currently 29 and sunny. Suppose to hit 52 by the weekend will be planting. HAVE A SUNNY DAY

Thumbnail by gardengus

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3260778

Clear and cold. 0 degrees on the porch this AM, but wind still. Now up to 22 degrees and snow melt dripping from the roof. Birds are going wild at the feeders. A charm of goldfinches flew in with the Feb. 14th snow and ice storm, maybe pushed north with all that rain. Lots of black eyed juncos, purple finches, cardinals and bluejays which are residents here.

That sunshine just has a springy feel.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #3260821

Blinding Bright (opposite of Dyson Dark) and very spring-like feel here too...
41 F / 5 C
Mostly Sunny
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 32 F / 0 C
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s from the WSW
Pressure: 29.59 in / 1002 hPa
Windchill: 32 F / 0 C

Today Sunny High 42.8 F

Friday Sunny High plus 41F

Saturday Sunny. Low 28.4F High 41F

Sunday Sunny. 32.F High 50F

Monday Sunny. Low 37.4F High 57.2F

***Normals for the period..14F High 32F

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3260876

Feels TOO MUCH like spring here... I planted some lettuce and spinach starts and next week it will go back down to the 20's at night. I guess I NEVER learn!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3260938

Still shaking my head in wonderment as the conversation tends toward spring - sounds great and now I'm ready to shrug off winter.
It's -5*F, 8am, with high up to the mid-teens; calm;
the old snow is now covered w/new layer and it really brightens up the day.
Sidney - Sounds like an awful drive "home" in the middle of the night in a snowstorm..Also glad you're indoors.
Sharon - Baxter looks quite comfy; glad's he's doing better.
darius, I hope your starts can survive the coming cold; maybe "they" will be wrong.
gardengus, love the bright sunny sunflower.
Kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #3261419

44° and sunny. No wind. I walked a mile - could have worn thermals. Picked up more ice-downed sticks in the yard, cut back the ornamental grasses and enjoyed being outside even in a stocking cap, heavy coat and gloves!

Nice pictures everyone!

Ric, I cracked up over you asking Dyson if he was in the closet!

Rann, those were the neatest pictures. The Pearl is wonderful!

Sugar, glad your in a happy place!

Kelli scarlet flax is an annual here, but I love it. I have the blue.

Loving the skies and the wonderful sunflower!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3261580

noon - 12*F, getting cloudy.
Kiska
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3261586

Forgot the photo - taken just before noon.
Lots of tracks in the snow.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2007

Post #3261593

Having lunch at the birdfeeder. There are about 6 that arrived yesterday; definately a change of seasons on the way. Don't know what kind of bird it is.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3261674

Off the top of my head and not looking at a bird book, Kiska, I'd say your bird is a purple finch.

Rann, yes, the scarlet flax self-sows for me like there is no tomorrow. Last year DH pulled out most of it before it could go to seed and thus I don't have many plants this year. The lack of rain may have made a difference, too. It's in a pretty brutal part of the yard.

Billy, I have blue flax, also - some kind of blue flax. I think it is called Lewis' flax. It blooms later and has small flowers.

Not windy, not too dry, not too hot.

Updated: 1:39 PM PST on March 08, 2007
Observed at: West San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, Winnetka, California
Elevation: 790 ft / 240 m
75.6 F / 24.2 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3261685

Kiska, laughing over the cat tracks off the deck. Those are the tracks we look for. Takes a moose to get thru your snow! That is a gorgeous bird! I've never seen one like it!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #3261752

Kelli - thanks, maybe this is the year I finally get a bird book. We seldom have anything other than Chickadees, wrens, ravens, magpies and robins. But, these do come up and pass through every year at this time. Love the tulip - we were in NCal last March as they were blooming at a winery; just beautiful.
billyporter; our pook kitty keeps hoping to get off the deck to find something other than snow, but, will have to wait a bit longer.
Also at the feeder.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3261877

Kiska, another pretty bird. Yes, a bird book is nice to have.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3262197

Kiska: That first is a male Pine Grosbeak. I'm nearly certain.

Don't know the 2nd one. Nice pics, though! You should post them on the birdwatching forum in the Daily Pics thread.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/699421/#top

Lovely sunny warm spring day today (sorry).

Bradford Pear is blooming.

Deb

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 7:27 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3262426

Today's LOW was 50*F what the heck?
and the Hi was 70* like spring arrived overnight.
did have a few non comittal showers... a mere few drops at a time.
found tulips, sedum and hurah! my Irish Eyes Rudbekia all showing green above ground.

May have made it thru the winter of doldrums here. Amazing what one really warm feeling day does for one's attitude. ~Blooms
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3262509

Deb beat me to it.
That is exactly what it is... nice shot Kiska...

http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Birds/Likely/likely-Grosbeak-Pine.html

and sorry about the weather up there..

It was cool and gorgeous here.
Tomorrow 65 and Sunny!!!!!!!

Ric (I have a three day weekend as I already hit 40 hours so photos for sure!)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3262544

Oh-I just realized. The 2nd bird is the first one's wifey. :)

Ric: I envy your 3-day!

Deb
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3262566

Well it might be his SO ... I'm not sure about the legality of Avian Marriage in Alaska...

After 90+ hours in 9 days I need a break...

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 9, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3262588

Thanks everyone for the bird identification. I will get a book and will also post on the birdwatching forum.
They don't stay here for long, but love seeing them.
The blossoms are wonderful, Deb. Sounds good for your area, also, Blooms.
Ric, enjoy the 3 day weekend - look forward to seeing the photos. Thanks for the link; will bookmark it.

It's 5pm, 6*F, sunny and bright and just a tiny breeze to spoil the nice day.
I just checked and the average temp for last March was 18*F, so we're not too far below.
We never had an average month of up to 65*F. The warmest was in July w/average of 58*F. (see why we love our cool summers?) :)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3262651

You can probably get a good price on a bird book at half.com. Myself, I like the National Geographic Birds of North America the best and the Peterson Guide second.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 9, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3262683

Great ideas, Kelli, thanks.
Kiska
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3262731

It got to 60* today adn felt like 70*. It was niiiiice!!! There were motorcycles out everywhere, people in t-shirts, and everyone had windows down.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 9, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3263061

kelli - I see on the paulnoll site, that it's mentioned the Pine Grosbeak is like a purple finch; you were on the right track for sure.
pepper23, sounds like a great day there. enjoy.
Weather forecast says it's to be up in the 20's next week...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
8:05 AM

Post #3263419

Hi everyone - got distracted yesterday and forgot to press the send button - here's yesterday's post :-)

Wednesday was a wonderful slice of spring ... sunny, calm and 40's ... so wonderful that it was warm enough to wear "just" a fleece jacket outside. Spent a little over an hour in the garden pruning ... how wonderful is that - like waking up from winter hibernation :-) The ground is still frozen so the grass is a soggy mess ... it'll be a while before it dries up. As wonderful as Wednesday was, yesterday was gray, wet and windy, and a cool 38F at 7:40 pm.

Kiska - what a breathtakingly beautiful sunrise :-) Love the grosbeak photos - they are some showy birds :-) I'm amazed that the snow has been on the ground since October for you ... I imagine you all are fed up with it when it finally melts!

Deb and Gardengus - great photos as well! Love the clouds and the bright sunflower :-) And those pearblossoms are just wonderful! :-)

Sharon - so glad Baxter is feeling better :-) Great photo - is that in your garden?? A sea breeze is wonderful in Florida, but not as nice here. It's usually what ruins what could be a nice, warm summer day around noon bringing a chilling breeze that makes you run for your jumper or jacket ;-) No such thing as a nice breeze here - it's always cold ...

Ric - enjoy your 3 day weekend!

What is this talk of spring? You southerners already have temps in the 60's and 70's??? Sounds like you skipped spring and dove straight into summer ... I thought spring was 40's temps and a non-frozen ground ... lol

Now for today's weather ... It's 9 am and it looks promising for another great day. There are a few clouds in the sky but a lot of blue as well, fairly calm winds and still a chilly 38F. Could reach 40's today if we're lucky ... now if the ground wasn't still frozen that would qualify for spring ;-) The sun was up at 8:08 am and will set at 7:08 pm ... I'm loving these longer daylight hours :-)

Glad you enjoyed the view from the Pearl - here are some more photos ;-)

Continuing where I left off ... There are two towns between Reykjavk and Hafnarfjrur. This is looking east towards Kpavogur - the graveyard there in the foreground again.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
8:13 AM

Post #3263423

Still turning a bit to the right, now looking SSE- that is Kpavogur accross the cove there and further in the distance the town of Garabr. The steamy pool there in the front is not a hot tub ... it's a man-made geyser for the tourists who don't have time to visit the real Geysir hot-spring area ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
8:19 AM

Post #3263426

Now looking South toward Hafnarfjrur. That's Kpavogur there across the cove on the first peninsula - the second cove leads to Garabr. I live at the base of the peninsula there in the back and the very narrow sliver of sea behind it is Hafnarfjrur :-) It's about a 10 min. drive from the Pearl to my house ... 15 min. in heavy traffic (waiting 5 min. in a very long line at a red light is a traffic jam!!! here lol ;-))

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
8:28 AM

Post #3263431

Another one looking south toward Hafnarfjrur. The long peninsula there is named lftanes and the presidential residence, Bessastair is located there and there is a small town (lftanes) at the end of it.

The sliver of land there on the horizon is the Reykjanes peninsula ... where the Keflavik international airport is(and the US nato base that has now been closed). It's about a 45 min. drive from Reykjavik to the international airport.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2007
8:58 AM

Post #3263450

Morning all,here is a new March thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/699977/
Come on over!!!!!
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM
Tornado Alert!!! EFGeorgia1 9 Mar 30, 2008 10:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America