Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

How many tomato plants per cage?

Morrisville, NC

Hello -

I live in the Raleigh, NC area and am getting ready to start my first garden this spring. I ordered some tomato seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I selected Mule Team, Paul Robeson, and Hungarian Italian Paste.

Most of my garden is going to raised bed (I do not have a lot of room). However, I hear that caging tomatoes is better than trellising them. My question: How many tomatoes do you have in each cage? Is it one or more than one?
Thanks in advance on an easy question.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Farmerdill...you dawg! Always succinct and to the point! *grin

Matt, F-dill is right though, one plant per cage, especially with the ones you chose...those are really rampant growers!

And by the way, WELCOME to the site!

Wishing you a great garden this year!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Those dinky round metal cages have never held up tomato plants in my experience. I even bought larger, 56 inch tall cages which worked better but still got knocked over by the end of the summer. Another gardener (on the Pacific Northwest forum) explained his system of heavy duty trellises, strings, and round plant clips. Whatever you use, make sure it is strong and well anchored.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hi guys,
I'm putting the following in EBs and 5-gallon buckets: Pruden's Purple, Eva Purple Ball, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine Sudduth, Ark Traveler, Black Krim, Sun Gold, Azoychka, and Chinese Yellow. What type of trellis system will I need (lightweight or heavy duty) and for which of these do I need a heavy duty hookup? Thanks.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5a)

One per cage- the store-bought cages are pretty flimsy and would topple over or lean under the weight of the tomatoes. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.