Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Irish Moss

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3237352

I was so tickled to find this forum! This is only my 2nd year growing from seed and although I've had pretty good success so far I'm still quite the novice.

I have some irish moss dust...er seed that I want to start inside and I've not been able to find much in the way of guidelines. Have any of you grown it successfully from seed?

Thanks,
La
KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3237605

I WSed the er "dust" last year and it didn't germinate. So I spread the soil from the the containers as a top dressing around a part shady area and Viola!. By August it was popping up all over. Luckily that's one of the areas I planned on putting it! lol
This year I'm just going to mix it into the potting soil and spread that around another area. We'll see!

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2007
5:11 PM

Post #3237723

Katy how fast did it grow for you? I want to put it between stepping stones and I'm not sure how thick to plant it. I do have some planted inside under lights (cross your fingers for me) but I may direct sow the rest of the seed. They're so darn small it's kind of hard to see what you're sowing anyway, but I'm wondering how close together to put them.
La
KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3241264

Where it's growing it's filling in quickly. In my zone it doesn't look too spiffy right now, kind of brownish and soggy. lol
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2007
10:33 AM

Post #3243583

It's up! I'm so excited! I don't know if it was the size of the seed or exactly why, but for some reason I was very sceptical about germination. It only took 6 days and I'm already seeing little bits of green in the container. Woooohooooo! :-D

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America