Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clean and Clutter-free: Ceramic Stove tops......I'm disappointed with mine.

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 274, Views: 2,884
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3238094

I was so excited when I got my new stove with the flat ceramic top. I thought it would be so much easier to keep

clean and pretty. It is actually easier to wipe it down per sey, but to keep it pretty...no.

I've only used the special cleaner the manufacturer recommends and followed directions, but it still has developed rings and ugly places where the pots and pans come in contact with the burners. I've never had anything burn and stick onto it, as I wipe up any spills during cooking. But it's almost as if the pans are scratching and marring the surface over the burner elements.

Then even after being wiped down and cleaned, if the light from the ventihood is on, it looks smudgy anyway.

This is the stuff you never see in the showroom of the appliance stores.

Does anyone else feel this way about their flat ceramic top stove ? Or am I expecting too much and this is normal for this type cooktop ? If it is, ... I sure am disappointed.

I'd like to hear from others who have this kind of cook top, ... and what you think of yours.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3238253

I love mine and haven't had any problems. I've even let stuff dry and get burned on from time to time and regular cleaners don't always do very well getting it off but my stove came with a special cleaner and a little yellow sponge to use with it, and when I use that it works like a charm. You do have to buff the surface with a paper towel for a while to make sure you got all the cleaner off so it doesn't leave streaks, but if I do that then my stovetop always looks gorgeous and shiny.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #3238268

When I had that smooth top I hated it so much, I paid to have it taken out and replaced w/the coil type. Much $$ but my temper and well-being were much better.

Ann
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2007
3:14 AM

Post #3239697

You probably know this already. Don't use windex or similar cleaners on it. And cast iron pans have to be used carefully as they will scratch it. And no copper pans!
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #3239986

Wish I'd known all that before I got it. I probably would have made a different choice. Or maybe
would have chosen the gray or white top instead of the black top. Maybe it's like a black car, shows every smudge.
They had them in black, gray and white. Maybe it makes a difference ?

ecrane3, what color is your stove top ?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3240798

Mine's black. If it's just smudges that are the problem then you need to buff the surface better after you use the ceramic stovetop cleaner, if I don't buff mine out with a paper towel then it does look all smudgy and streaky.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3241091

Make sure you get a cleaner for BLACK tops- I guess the ones made for a lighter color can scratch the black tops.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2007
6:26 AM

Post #3243465

Thanks, I do have the stuff that they sent with me from the appliance store. I'll have to check and see if it's for black though. Surely they gave me the right one, but maybe not...

ecrane3, I guess it would look better if I buffed it more. But I cook a lot and am continually wiping it down along with counter tops etc. The times I buff it and shine it like that are usually when we have company coming. LOL. Seems like if I do it every day, I'd just have to do it over and over because it looks smudgy each time I wipe it down, and that's a lot. I guess I just expected it to look nice when it was clean, and didn't know I would have to buff it so much.

But even after using the special cleaner and buffing stuff, it still dosen't look as pretty as I thought it would. It looks like there are permanent rings around the burners. It's not caked on stuff, it's more like it's marred or scratched where the pots and pans sit. I have the plain stainless steel cookware by Wolkgang Puck. It's fairly new... I would think it would be ok on it.
Ktown
Kannapolis, NC

March 3, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #3243600

I have had one for four or five years and it still looks great. I use a pad that doesn't scratch and the bar cleaner (not Comet) then I use the cleaner that comes with it that you put on and rub off. When I just want to wipe it up I use a spray bottle of white vinegar and a microfiber cloth., Mine still looks great.
Ktown
Kannapolis, NC

March 3, 2007
11:58 AM

Post #3243666

The name of the cleaner is Bar Keepers Friend
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #3244236

I don't think the ceramic cooktop cleaners are different for different colors--the one that I was given with my stove doesn't say anything on it about colors and neither do the ones I've seen at stores, they all just say they're for use on ceramic cooktops.
johnette28
Brush Prairie, WA

March 13, 2007
5:02 AM

Post #3275757

I also bought a black ceramic stove top and I am sorry every day...It is sooo much work to keep clean..I cook a lot and even water marks it... My son made the same mistake and even called Frigidaire to find out what they recommended...no help at all...My daughter's mother-in-law just put a black stovetop in her new kitchen...She is very sorry she did...I use all the right cleaners and buff and wash and it looks good till I cook again..Way too much work...
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3276754

I have heard the same thing about black shiny sinks and any shiny black appliances. People hate them when they get them in. My cookstop is the white speckled color and I love it.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3317455

That's so true. I think black looks great, (in the showroom) but it sure shows anything that is smudged on it.

When I got mine, I was just thinking how nice it would be to just be able to wipe it clean after cooking.

Never dreamed I'd have to buff and polish it to make it look nice. I was looking for simplicity.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3333298

I also hate my black cook top which we inherited when we bought our house 2 yrs ago.
bebo1998
Reisterstown, MD

April 11, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #3379136

I love my white cermic stovetop BUT...as with other readers, each time I use a burner, and I don't spill too often, the rings develop under the (stainless steel) pots. What to do??????? Is there something to buy to put under the pots to prevent this? I hate that ring!!!!!

B
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3381283

The cleaning stuff that I got with my stove takes that ring off--needs a little elbow grease sometimes but I never have a problem getting my stove back looking nice. I don't know of anything that you can put under the pots--sounds like enough people have problems like this that it wouldn't surprise me if there was something though!
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3408924

I found this thread a little late, but I also have a black smoothtop range. My main complaint is the rubber gasket around the perimeter of the glass, little crumbs get down in that gasket and are annoying to clean out. As for the glass itself, I have used every kind of cleaner on it and none have caused damage. I do find that I have to clean once with 409, and then a second time with glass cleaner to remove the streaks. Every now and then I have to use a razor blade to scrape off cooked on food.

All of my appliances are black (stove, fridge, dishwasher, etc) and I can say it is a pain to keep them clean. They look clean up close and then when you stand back and look at them from a different angle you can see dust. I'd like to go back to all white, but all of my appliances are fairly new so that won't happen anytime soon.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2007
9:25 AM

Post #3411166

I know what you mean. It's hard to justify changing them when they are still new. That's the good thing about these threads. Maybe someone else will have an opportunity to read them and think it over before making their choices.

Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher. You never know these things until it's too late and they're installed in your own kitchen. Drat !!!!!!

alyrics
Beachwood, OH

May 17, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3508482

I thought I was the only one questioning my decision on the black stove top. I have marks on my most used burner that I absolutely cannot get off. I also found a little vinegar will help take the food off, occasionally have used Formula 409 on a wet sponge, or PineSol. I don't think the ceramic product works very well without a lot of elbow grease. I find if I rinse and dry it immediately with a clean kitchen towel there are no streaks.

I used to set plates or bowls down on top of it but I don't do it anymore because I'm afraid they will scratch the surface also. But my real gripe on that stove is the edge. When I've pulled pans off the stove across the edge, it has scratched it so now it just looks dull.

I was afraid to use Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend - you're saying they are ok?
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3556666

I LOVE my black smooth top. I use one of those scrubbies for teflon pans and Bar Keeper's Friend on mine. I use all stainless steel Caphalon pans or my old iron skillets and haven't had a problem with them. I try and wipe it down daily so that leftover residue doesn't burn on, but if it does it will come off with some elbow grease and the BKF I mentioned. My top is a Whirlpool.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3556843

I'm glad to know I'm not alone--for a while I thought I was the only one who liked my black top! I also never have problems keeping it looking nice and I'm puzzled why some people have so much trouble with them since I find mine's easier to keep clean than the older type of stoves.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3559291

I can't figure that one out. I hated cleaning those pans and I am notorious for letting my potatoes boil over. I still do that but it takes me seconds to clean it now. My dh had been warned I will require one from now on! LOL!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #3560108

I love mine too and will never go back to the old style--I inherited a flat top stove at my old house and just loved it, so when I bought a new house that came with an old stove that needed replaced I knew I had to get myself one of the flat top ones.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #3562503

I do like mine better than the old coil type. It's mostly the black color that I don't like about mine, because it shows dust and streaks. I'd much better prefer a glasstop stove that is white with the gray colored top.
firstyard
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3564306

Thanks guys!! I'll be getting a new stove soon and this sure was helpful! I'm going to visit a few friends who have one and take a look at theirs.

Sherry
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2007
7:05 AM

Post #3572334

I might like mine better if it weren't black. I'm beginning to think it's just like a black car... hard to keep shiney all the time.

Since I started this thread, I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that it's ok. Especially after hearing from all you girls who really like yours. It really is easier to keep 'clean' per sey, ... as when you boil over or grease spatters, it's easy to just wipe it up. I guess I just wasn't ready to have to 'shine' it so much.

Also, alyrics may have described part of my disappointment in that there seem to permanent rings around the burners that I use the most.
These are almost like they are scratched or etched into the glass top.
And they're still there, no matter how polished and shiney the top is, or what product I use on it. It's not burned on or hardened food, or anything that can be cleaned off.

Dosen't anyone else who likes theirs so much... have this ? Maybe it could be the brand or quality of my stovetop. Mine is a GE, and was around $ 700. To me, that dosen't seem like a particularly "cheap" model, and I didn't think the price was over the top, but that price didn't seem cheap either. We really shopped around before making our appliance purchases, and it seemed to be the average mid-range
price on that type of stove.

Do any of you ladies who really like yours, have these rings on the burners you use the most ?

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3572934

I know what you're talking about, I do see stuff around the burners that's harder to get off, but I've always been able to scrape it off. I don't think it's etched into the glass, I think it's burned on so it just takes more effort to get it off, and I guess if it builds up to the point where there's rings all around then at that point it may be pretty much impossible to get off. Mine's a black top too and I'm perfectly happy with it, and my stove probably cost even less than yours, I got the cheapest flat-top model that Sears had.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3576366

If something burns on it makes a "burnt rust" colored ring. I wait until it is cool and scrub with the BKF or Bon Ami and my little teflon cleaner pad. Sometimes it does take a bit of elbow grease but they do come off, except for a small one under the burner where my tea kettle sits. I think it got burned and I didn't notice it and left it to get heated again and again before I noticed. Of course the kettle sits there all the time so it doesn't matter to me that it is there. It still looks better to me than those awful coils with stuff burnt on them.

I have always wiped my stovetop off after every meal, Mom gave me that good habit. So I really don't let any of the stuff build up.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 6:05 PM
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #3580926

Whatever is on mine is not on the surface... nothing burned on.

It's either etched on the glass top or discoloration.

Cactuspatch is right, even the etched ring still looks better than coils.

Maybe I'm just being too picky.

barmack
Apopka, FL

June 12, 2007

Post #3607531

I found this thread because I am searching for a way to remove the last bit of burned on carbon on a burner on a white, ceramic, flat top (Kitchenaid) stove. Have had this kind of stove - for the first time - for a little over a year, and I hate hate hate it. It is so hard to keep clean. I used to have a gas range with the traditional burners that I simply cleaned with brillo when food ran over onto the stove. I went to Home Depot to buy the razor that CeramaBryte sells. That did get most of the carbon off, but there's a "shadow" of brown on my beautiful white stove that won't go away. Home Depot guy said the carbon gets into the pores of the glass, and that it won't come out. he's right. I used ceramabryte, bar keeper's friend, scrub pad, razor. It's in to stay. I also noticed that BKF damaged the finish a bit.

My stove cost $1k plus (it's a convection too) and I hate it. I too am considering replacing it at (obviously) great expense.
barmack
Apopka, FL

June 12, 2007

Post #3607532

I found this thread because I am searching for a way to remove the last bit of burned on carbon on a burner on a white, ceramic, flat top (Kitchenaid) stove. Have had this kind of stove - for the first time - for a little over a year, and I hate hate hate it. It is so hard to keep clean. I used to have a gas range with the traditional burners that I simply cleaned with brillo when food ran over onto the stove. I went to Home Depot to buy the razor that CeramaBryte sells. That did get most of the carbon off, but there's a "shadow" of brown on my beautiful white stove that won't go away. Home Depot guy said the carbon gets into the pores of the glass, and that it won't come out. he's right. I used ceramabryte, bar keeper's friend, scrub pad, razor. It's in to stay. I also noticed that BKF damaged the finish a bit.

My stove cost $1k plus (it's a convection too) and I hate it. I too am considering replacing it at (obviously) great expense.
ceramic1
Olney, MD

June 13, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #3608777

I just received my black ceramic stovetop last Thursday. It is a Whirlpool and already it has scratches and watermarks on it. My daughter decided to cook while I was gone and when I came home there were scratches on the burner. I ordered the cleaner from the company. It should be here in the next few days. I cooked some fries and didn't wipe the grease off quick enough so now I have grease spots along with the scratches and watermarks all over it. I am not happy right now. I was so excited to finally get a new stove. My other one was 18 years old! I guess I need to go out and buy some new pots and pans also. Is the Calphalon the best to get? I am constantly wiping the stove. I can't believe all the marks on it already and I have only had it a few days.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3612812

Ceramic1 too bad you didn't see this thread before getting your cooktop. In my instruction book it says to make sure the bottom of the pans are totally flat(no ridges) and you can NOT drag anything across the top or you'll scratch it.
I still hate mine.
ceramic1
Olney, MD

July 5, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3696523

Another question for you all about cleaning the control panel. I was simmering some vegetables on the back left burner. The vegetables needed to slow cook for about 30 - 40 minutes ( greens ). So I turn the burner down and let the greens cook away while I did other things. I come back about 40 minutes later and turn the burner off. I then noticed on the control panel it looks like there is a huge spot where the color is different. What happened is while cooking the vegetables the steam that was coming from the pot was hitting the control panel. I guess the steam burned the "enamel" off. It is a black cooktop. Is there anything I can do to get the color back. I am so upset. If you red my earlier post you know I haven't had my cooktop for that long. The Whirlpool cooktop cleaner isn't for the control panel so I don't want to risk using it and then make it look worse. It is such an eyesore. I just did it today but you can notice it. It looks gray in that area. I tried some glass cleaner I have but that didn't work. I was doing some research on the internet and I saw something about appliance polish & cream. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I was almost in tears when I saw it. My daughter was like mom it's just a stove, LOL. She's right, but I spent a lot of money on my stove:). Any help?

Thanks much.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3698024

Do you have a picture? I'm having trouble picturing the damage you're talking about, probably because my control panel is made of plastic and is on the back end of the range, I think maybe yours is different than mine since you're talking about enamel? If yours is made of plastic like mine and you somehow managed to heat it up enough to melt/burn the plastic, there is no way to fix that. But I boil stuff on the stove all the time and the steam hits the control panel and doesn't do any damage, so I'm puzzled how yours caused damage, especially if it is enamel rather than plastic because that would be much harder to damage.
ceramic1
Olney, MD

July 5, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #3698604

Hi ecrane3, the model number for my cooktop is RF362LXTB0. The control panel is on the back like yours I'm sure. It looks like where the steam was hitting it, it damaged it from the heat and has water streaks. My cooktop is black so it looks like it is discolored in that area. If my digital camera was working I could take a picture for you. I am on hold with Whirlpool right now. Don't really know what they are going to do but I don't think steam should be causing damage like that. I will keep you informed. I am speaking with an agent now.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #3701625

I really don't think it should cause that amount of damage either, sounds to me like maybe you got a defective one. Good luck with Whirlpool! Hopefully they'll make things right for you.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
5:55 AM

Post #3701830

I'm so sorry to hear of your disappointment. I really do empathize.
I know exactly how you feel.
Hopefully, you will get a favorable response from Whirlpool.

These types of cooktops are so over-rated by the companies, I think.

They should make it clear that they are not as easy care as they appear. We shouldn't have to buy all kinds of appliance creams and polishes to clean up the stove we make our family meals on. That's the point in wanting the smooth top to begin with...to make it easier, not to make more chores in cleaning them, and more products and stuff to have to buy to take care of them.

I'm finally able to accept that mine is just not what I expected it to be.
It's a perfectly good stove that works properly and does all the functions it's supposed to, very well. But I finally have resolved myself to the fact, that it will never be as pretty again as it was that first day I saw it in the store showroom. All it's scratches and dark areas are just a part of it, and that's the way it is. I have finally given up on all the extra polishing and fussing over it. I just wipe it down with a soapy dishcloth each time I use it and call it good. I do know that it is nice and clean at least. Once I got over the anger and disappointment and accepted it, it seems like it's really a pretty nice stove.

Makes me wonder how my DH must have felt after the honeymoon.
Maybe once he got me home and kept me for a while, I may not have been all he expected from what he saw in the showroom. And after 37 years...I may not look as good, but I still manage to do everything
that really counts adequately. And we've become old comfortable friends after all.

If I get real lucky, this is what will happen to me and my stove. haha.
Maybe I'll eventually forget to notice it's warts and flaws. hehe.

Good luck with yours.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 27, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3786222

I'll have to say that compared to my old coil burner stove I LOVE my cook top. I've had it almost two years and yes it has some discolorations and it might streak when I wipe it off but hey, I COOK on this stove. Things run over and grease splatters. If it doesn't wipe off the razor blade comes out and it's scraped off. Compared to the labor it took to clean up the old stove this one's a piece of cake and I don't have to have drip pans and steel wool pads and every other cleaning supply known to man. I'll take a few discolorations gladly. After all, I've been around the block and I ain't as purdy as I used to be either! LOL!

I'm not being critical in this comment but I guess my expectations for my stove wasn't as high as others and therefore I'm not disappointed. The only way my stove was ever going to stay pretty and clean was if I never used it and in my household that's just not going to happen. It's rare that a supper isn't cooked and the oven goes from 6:00 to 10:00 at least four nights a week from May-November. Right now I could be Frigidaire's spokesperson...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3799453

I guess I'm doubly ticked at mine, since I just bought this house and it's an electric cooktop and on top of that it doesn't come clean.
It's necessary to use a razor blade???? I never had to use a razor blade on my 15 year old gas stove. I waiting for the day it breaks and I can get a gas cooktop with real burners.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3799710

I have tried almost every cleaner out there, and in my humble opinion, Weimans Stainless Steel Spray works fantastically well on my ceramic top stove, as well as my granite, and my stainless steel. I went through everything everyone else here has... and I do not like streaks on my cooktop (or anything). If I've spilled something and it's a bit burned on, I use my scrubby sponge with some dish detergent, that takes the spill off. Rinse with a wet paper towel, spray on the Weimans, and wipe off with paper towel. NO STREAKS, ever!! As for the rings on the burners... yes, I have those too, and no, haven't been able to make them go away, but they're not that noticeable as long as the top is shiny and streak free. Mine is a Jenn Aire black ceramic top, about 2 years old. Usually I just spray the Weiman's, wipe, and it's good.
daisym
Staten Island, NY

August 3, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3814095

Hi everybody,
New here.
I have one those stoves. Mine has a black top. I only bought it because there is only electric in the building. (condo) I prefer gas stoves.

But yes they are a problem to clean. I clean mine with "Lestoil" . It's a liquid, excellent on all kinds of grease. Normally I use it (Lestoil) to clean the floors but I was desperate and since I know it cuts grease I decided to try it. I use one of those plastic scouring pads and I clean it while it is still warm, right after I finish cooking.

On more than one ocassion I have left it and clean it a bit later. I have to admit that I have to really work at it, but it cleans it. It even cleans those rings around the burners. Like I said ...you really have to scrub and scrub.

After is clean I buff it with a dry cloth and it comes out shiny.

I really hate the stove, too much work to keep clean.But I have no other choice since I can only have an electric range.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #3815758

Welcome, Daisy! I feel your pain, I'd much rather have a gas stove also.
vonny53
hanna, WY
(Zone 4b)

August 5, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3819752

And I thought I was the only one that didn't like their black ceramic top! We bought ours back in April and of course I was real careful with it at the beginning. Then in May I had major surgery. I would try but with an incision it was hard to buff because you really had to work with it. I had a friend that had a speckled grey one and I thought it looked really nice. She never once said how much work it was or that she didn't like it til after I'd bought mine. I like my top to look clean and shiney with no smudges also. I do see small scratches on the top, must have been from a pan. Ididn't realize either you couldn't pull them across burners. I also used to lay a lid on top of the stove. Now I don't put anything on there. If I'd known I would have had mine converted over to gas, get one where its closed off and no crumbs go inside. That could have been cleaned up in a jif. Just my 2 cents worth. Yvonne
pugwee
Seattle, WA

August 18, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3871913

I just got my Maytag black ceramic top and within 3 days I found those silver looking rings around the burners, like metal that has been heated. I used the cleaners, scrub pad that was included with the unit and buff like there's no tomorrow but nothing removes those rings. I paid $850 for this stove and I have been very careful to wash the bottom of the pans before use, never drag them. The rings are not scratches from the pans, my guess is that they are caused by the heat. Like many I wished I found this thread 3 weeks ago, because I would have saved my $ and bought the old coil.
My question is: Could this be a manufacturer defect or is it just the way it is?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3871933

Do you have a picture? I've got a black stovetop and I've never had anything like that happen to mine, so it could be something wrong with it. The other thing you could try is they sell scrapers to clean ceramic stovetops, those will usually get off what the scrubber pads won't.
pugwee
Seattle, WA

August 19, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3875201

I got one of those scrapers and more cleaner. After scraping, scrubbing, buffing several times I was able to get most of that silver ring off. It's crazy to have to work that hard just to keep it looking decent. I'm tempted to try a buffing wheel on my drill.
Thanks ecrane3 for your advice.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3878932

Pugwee, that's the same thing on mine(Jenn air), I hate it!
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3882842

I've been looking into getting a new stove, I've had one in the pased and was thinking of getting another one. I may pass now thanks to all of the input. One thing I learned in my research - you are not supposed to do any canning on this type of stove top. I tried with my other one and it took forever for the water to boil in my canner. Turns out most of these have a mechanism built in to protect the glass surface. If the surface gets too hot a certain distance from the burner the burner will turn off. As you know, most canners, pressure or water bath, are very wide at the bottom.

On a side note, Sears doesn't have any model that have a standard burner stove top with a convection oven.

Ratz!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #3885888

I wonder if there's a difference between different brands on the ceramic stovetops? I'm honestly not that careful with mine--I slide pots across it, I splash stuff on it when I'm cooking and it gets burned on, and I don't have to put that much effort into cleaning it up afterwards. The burned on stuff usually comes off with the little scrubber pad, if it doesn't then I'll scrape but usually don't have to do that. I've never had those silverish rings from pots or anything like that.

The one I have now is a Kenmore, I also never had problems with the one at my old house but I can't remember what brand it was (I think it might have been GE but I'm not positive). The one at the old house I inherited from the previous owners, but I loved it so much that when I moved and needed to replace the old nasty stove at the new house, I didn't even consider anything but another ceramic top stove. But since so many people seem to have had so much trouble with them, it makes me wonder whether there aren't just some "bad" brands out there.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3895866

So lets take a survey, just reply with 2 words the manufacturer and yes if you have marks that won't come out and no if there are no marks.
I'll start...

Jenn-Air -YES
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #3896431

Kenmore--No
vonny53
hanna, WY
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3898212

Whirlpool-no
rmariet
Plano, TX

August 26, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #3903191

I just got a Whirlpool cooktop in biscuit color, and I'm so disappointed. I've had it a month and it looks awful. At first I got cocky because I discovered scotch brite pads really took most everything up, but last night my husband made porkchops in a stainless steel pan, and the scotch brite didn't even make a dent in the discoloration. So I'll have to say

Whirlpool - YES
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3911412

Well I vote Maytag Gemini, 16 months and I vote yes.
My black top came with a cheap razorblade scraper and a sample of GSTC.
First I cleaned all of my pots. When it gets dirty and I had 2 fellows here for a year, I clean it these ways;
Pre-wash
Scrape being careful not to cut gasket.
Put some "Dawn Foaming" cleaner on one of the softer 3M scrubbers. I use little pressure and go in a circular motion. I rinse with water and dry with a microfiber towel.
I never use their useless cleanser.
The Dawn Foaming is a grease cutter and much better than any regular dish soap I have used.
I also got "Astonish" from QVC. It also claims to not scratch and clean these tops. It also works very much like the Dawn Foam. Astonish cost about 5x's as much as Dawn Foaming.
It also has a 14" burner which I think will "can" just fine.
I love my stove.
I invested $1,200.
I'm 61 and wanted one I would be happy retireing with.
Sidney

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3914768

Hey, Sug! Long time no see! How're the COLEU this summer? Tell the gang over there I said hello!
vonny53
hanna, WY
(Zone 4b)

September 3, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3931246

I love the Dawn Direct foaming cleaner. I just discovered it when I had a $2 coupon for it. I'll give that a try. I like my top when it is clean and shiny but it sure doesn't stay that way long. I don't cook a lot on it either. Maybe the more expensive ones are better. I thought this was a lot at $650. Thanks for the tips. Yvonne
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3931974

Mine was a cheap one, I went to Sears and just grabbed the cheapest ceramic top one, think it was probably about $450 or so.
secor032
Atlanta, GA

September 14, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3972750

okay, i scrambled online and in a whim signed up for this site, because I just put a two inch scratch in my black ceramic stove top. I am a first time homeowner, a single guy, and a little helpless to say the least...

Is there any way possible to get rid of that scratch? Please help... I've already called my mom and she has coils! lol - thank you!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3972867

If you've actually scratched it then there's not really anything you can do. Are you positive it's a scratch? It's really not as easy to scratch the glass as a lot of people think. If you were dragging pots around on it or something, it's probably just burned on dirt and not a scratch. I'd try a scraper blade or a scrubby sponge and the cleaner that came with the stovetop and see if that works.
secor032
Atlanta, GA

September 14, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3973175

Thanks ecrane! Unfortunately, yes, it is a scratch... I have looked all over the web and read exactly what you mentioned: it can't be fixed. Has anyone ever tried using scratch removers that are used for cars or sinks or regular glass windows?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3975716

Is the scratch over top of where the burners are, or is it somewhere else on the stove? I'm not sure what's in those scratch removers, I've seen ones that you can use on the painted part of the car but didn't know that there was something made for glass. But I would worry about using it on the burners, who knows what will happen to it when it's heated. If it's not on the burners then it's worth trying (if it was something designed for use on glass), but if it is on the burners, then I would find the product and call the 800 number on the back of it and ask the manufacturer if it could be used on the stove burner or not.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3981123

Why can't you use windex? I do and have for 3 yrs. after I clean it with the cleaner. No problem!!!!

I even have a little green scratchy pad that removes stubborn spots.

Jeri
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #3981220

I clean mine like that too and it works fine. But I think there must be some stoves that are good and some that are bad, because I can't imagine why else there are people like us who have no problems whatsoever cleaning our stoves, and other people who have such terrible problems. I mean, we all know how to clean and how to get stuff off and I think everyone gets the same cleaner with the stove, so since so many people are having problems the only thing I can think of is that there's a fundamental problem with some models or brands of stoves.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #3982388

I had old pots when I got my new stove and there was stuff on the bottoms of the pots I had never paid any attention to until it started coming off on my new stove top. Extra cleaning of the bottom of those pots helped alot.

Jeri

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2007
4:09 AM

Post #3983768

My pots are brand new and my cooktop still sucks!!!!!!!!
3springs
Mount Airy, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #4012201

I've had my Kenmore for a year and went through all the same traumas re: cleaning. I agree with using regular Dawn (I haven't tried Dawn Foam) and it works great - just don't make it too soapy. It doesn't need much anyway since it's a great grease cutting soap. Then I wipe again with another damp cloth or paper towel and buff with a dish towel. I've used the Bar Keepers for stubborn burns (water overspills, etc).

My question to everyone is which cookware works for you? I found that my All Clad skillet (regular and non-stick) get hotspots. I also have a Circulon skillet and it works great. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #4012468

I just have regular cheapo pots, non-stick coating. No idea what brand they are, but I think I got the cheapest pot set that Target had years ago and they work fine.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #4076767

I have Stainless steel that my Daddy sold when I was six. They are heavy and good as new. I remember when he'd whack one with a ball-peen hammer at the dinners DM cooked where he sold them.
I also have part of a set of Amways that have a flat bottom.
The 55 year old ones arent flat, but seal for low heat cooking.
The bottoms are recessed in the middle.
Clean pans make alot of difference.
Sidney
vonny53
hanna, WY
(Zone 4b)

October 14, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #4081022

The other day I cooked a pot of chili on my ceramic top. I had the lid on it and had it on low. Of course some steam escaped and got under the pot. Now I have a mark like a water mark on the top. I've tried everything to get rid of it. Most of the time you don't see it but I know its there. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. Yvonne

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #4081157

I take a scrachey(made for non-stick pans) and it usually comes right up. I'm one of the windex users so I might not be the best one to give advise.

I've had my stove for 5 years and it looks brand new.

Jeri
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #4081419

I use the cleaner and the little scratchy sponge that came with my stove (I've seen replacements for both of these at Target if you don't have one that came with the stove). For really bad stuff they also sell scraping blades, I've never needed one of those though.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #4089254

Magic eraser got up most of it but there are some kind of "ghost marks". I've used EVERYTHING. Guess it will be that way till I get rid of it.
vonny53
hanna, WY
(Zone 4b)

October 18, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4095321

Thats what mine looks like too. a ghost mark. It shines up real nice but there is this cloudy stuff on there. mine didn't come with a scrathcy thing and I have the razor too. What a pain when the others were so easy to clean. sigh!Yvonne
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #4096737

Might try white Vinegar rinse with soft cloth.
;)
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #4111026

As I said in another post, I love mine. They are so much easier to clean that the alternative. I wipe it down after every meal that I use it. My pots are Calphalon. I love them. I also use a stainless presser cooker, Corningware and my iron skillets. They all work equally well.
DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #4111509

Jenn-aire - yes.

Mine is black and without daily elbow grease it doesn't look good [and I am not inclined to spend that much time on it]. I have a bottle of vinegar that I will use for a quick shine. The cleaner/shine that came with it is what smudges it up so I think. If you let it dry, just like a car wax and then buff you get a much better finish that will last longer than a day without the smudges. I also received the razor for spills and while it will remove a little it won't remove it all. I fry fish and have a light ring around my main bunner from the grease. It isn't all that noticable but I know it is there and no product yet has made it disappear. I've tried goo gone, amonia, windex, vinegar, ceramic top cleaner, scrubbing, dawn...but bar keeper, hmm I haven't tried that one. Will be on my grocery list. I have another smooth top at our camp and it is a mingled black and white and that one I love. I think it is the 'glassey' tops that are giving us such fits.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #4111528

Barkeepers Friend and a Teflon scrubbing pad works great on mine. I try to wipe grease off when it gets on there. I used a deep fryer and don't fry much on the stovetop.
hershey275
Landisburg, PA

October 22, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #4111563

This has been an enlightening thread. I, too, have one of these glass tops (Whirlpool) and been through all of the above. One of the things I've found that cleans the surface, quick as a wink, after you've fried something, is one of thoes wipes. They are fast and wonderful. I also appreciate the fact it serves as another work surface. It is especially nice when I have an armful of groceries. I've had a love/hate relationship with it as well. Mine is nearly 8 years old and looks ok. I can still get the glass top to shine, but I do have "spots" where there is obvious wear and tear. I had to "get over" the notion of having a perfectly shinning surface and it hurt to do so. I have canned on mine in the past. I would probably not buy another one but not for any of the "hate" reasons. I live in the sticks and occasionally the electric goes out! I'd opt for gas.
jojocat
Allentown, PA

November 21, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #4218318

I unfortunately purchased a off white ceramic top GE range less then 2 years ago.
All but one burner has a grey to dark black cast around it,has anyone else have this trouble? I have always wiped up the spills, and this range looks awful. The front door of the range also has yellow brown stains after using the self-cleaning oven, and under the vent it also is stained from heat and can not be removed. The glass door has stains in between two glass panels. Paid alot for this piece of crap.
Called the GE people the glass top is guaranteed for 5 years but I must pay for installation, and al the other cosmetic problems will not be paid for, and I would have to pay for parts and installation, plus a $79.00 fee to come to my home to inspect the range. And after possible fixing every thing they will not guarantee it would not happen again!! As soon as I get the money I'll dump this junk. Any suggestions on a great range without all these problems?
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #4246320

Ok, had to call and ask my mom, as she got a white ceramic cook top in the 1980, when they were new (I think) When hers got the rings around the burners, she would place a white paper towel on the (cool) cook top and soak the paper towel with lemon juice. The yellowish looking rings would come off after a couple hours of sitting there.

HTH!

Janis
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #4399085

Just wanted to say I have one that came with the house. Hate it! It never looks clean no matter what I do.
kitani
Sydney
Australia

January 22, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #4439638

I have had a black ceramic stove top for a month. I have barely cooked on it as we have been having floors polished, walls painted etc and now I have found a scratch! I have polished it using the special conditioner and it is now not as noticeable until the element heats up and then it is an evil looking scar on my investment. I do feel as though, I have now burdened myself with another thing that needs time and TLC.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #4440102

Are you sure? I can't imagine anything scratching mine but a diamond.
Sidney
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4440731

Try scraping it with a razor blade or something--I bet it's something that's stuck on there and not a scratch. I'm with Sidney--I think you'd have to really try pretty hard to scratch them. They do get stuff burned on them pretty easily though and that could look like a scratch. Unless it was defective and the surface cracked from the heat or something, in that case since you haven't had it very long I would imagine it's still under warranty and you should be able to get it fixed or replaced.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #4441684

You know, I've had every type of stove in my life... gas, electric, different types and styles...and now the ceramic. I have never had a cooktop that didn't need cleaning, and my recollection of the old gas and electric burners is that they were a HUGE ordeal to clean. Those metal drip pans, how many times did you clean and/or replace them? How many times have you lifted the old cooktops to clean out the mess below the surface? How can anyone expect an appliance that is used everyday to show absolutely no wear? All I'm saying is... yes, there might be a "shadow" on a ceramic cooktop, it can probably be removed with the same diligence as we used to use on electric and gas stovetop drip pans, and no one said it would be maintenance free. Again, I recommend Weiman's Stainless Steel Spray (silver can, works really well on my stainless steel appliances, my granite countertops, and my ceramic cooktop after a scrub with a soft scrubby sponge and a little dish soap, rinsed, then Weiman's). I just wonder if expectations aren't just a little too high on an appliance that is probably used more than any other. IMHO.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
5:49 AM

Post #4441713

I think you may be on to something--when you think about the amount of black crud that was burned onto the old style electric burners, you just couldn't see it until it got really bad because they weren't shiny. I remember the days of cleaning those kinds of burners, and I have to say the ceramic stovetop is a million times easier. I'm still puzzled why people have so much trouble though because I've really never had trouble getting mine back to being clean and shiny after I burned something onto it. I'm not afraid to scrape it with a razor blade though, I think a lot of people are afraid that will scratch it so maybe they don't go after the spots as hard as they could.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4442236

Mine came with a razorblade scraper! Have you tried to use one?
;)

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 9:51 AM
CindyInAZ
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4442322

Beverly, I fully agree with you. Struggling with the memory of my old gas/electric burners keeps my thoughts about my ceramic stove top in perspective. I finally bought covers for them and decided it was too obvious that I might be hiding something (?). I was so excited to finally have a Jennair. We don't have gas service in my neighborhood but I was used to ceramic and electric cooking. I had a wonderful ceramic that was easy to clean and it cleaned beautifully. I can't remember what it was now. But someone (Mom - she never would confess) dropped a cast iron skillet on mine and shattered it.

I hated it from the first time I used it and couldn't keep it clean. I even wrote to the company and they advised: "it will get spots when boiling or frying food - and metal pots will also marr the cooktop." Hello? yes, that is called cooking! They refused to let me return it.

Nothing works on this Jennair - windex, vinegar, ammonia. scrubbies, specialized ceramic cleaners (I've used them all), razor blades, elbow grease - nothing. And I scrub it every time I use it. I always have that "halo" around my most frequently used burner. The front left is too hot, the front right is slow to heat and is never adequate.

At least it's just a stovetop - I have a separate unit for my oven which is a double, over-sized convection oven that sorta makes up for it.

Maybe I should have Mom over again to help me get rid of the new stovetop.

Okay, I've vented...thanks for the thread.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4442377

Bless your heart, I am so sorry.
I would have thought jennaire would have the best. I would be sick if I was expecting that kind of value and got what you have.
Please write every review any place you can and maybe they will lose enough business to change it.
My Maytag so far (20mo.) can still look brand new with 10 minutes of cleaning. So I know they make one that does clean.
I will also edit my comment above.
Sidney
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008

Post #4448512

Mine still looks pretty good after nearly seven years. I use mostly just a dish rag, and sometimes a spray cleaner. But on those necessary occasions I used the product that came with it "CeramaBrite" until it was gone, and now I use a cream cleanser, Vim. I will use a flat razor blade when necessary too. Not sure what make it is, but its a mostly black cooktop. It does, however, have a small gouge on it, where one of the burners is. It took me awhile to get used to the way it cooks, which is different from regular electric and gas stoves, in that the heat cycles instead of staying on all the time. I'll never go back to a regular stove - yes, its just a different cleaning job, but I agree that its far less labour intensive and not as messy to clean than the old stoves.

Christine
BryanPoirier
Montreal
Canada

January 25, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4451512

I am thinking of buying a whirpool black ceramic stove top. This site is pretty complete, but leaves me confused. Has anyone read the site :
www.creativehomemaking.com/articles/060404d.shtml
Or:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/home/Articles/2001/Glass_CeramicCookingSurfaces.htm

They seem to be more positive?
Does anyone that has no problems, use Aluminum pots?

I sometimes make chilli where I have to stir often. I seem to move the pot slighty when I stir heavy stuff. I might scratch the surface?

Any comments?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #4451999

The surface is really not that easy to scratch--I scrape mine with a razor blade and that doesn't scratch it, so I don't see how a pot would. I have no idea what my pots are made of, but if the cheapest pots you can buy are usually made of aluminum, then that's what mine are!
BryanPoirier
Montreal
Canada

January 25, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4452144

If the surface of the pot that touches the ceramic is metal and is a light silver color it might be Aluminum. I hear that AL like copper can discolor ceramic?

I also stir fry , with the coil red hot. I do not think I can do that with ceramic?
Maybe extended maximum heat might discolor the ceramic?

I have slow cookers made of cast Iron but are coated with enamel. Would they be OK to use?

Bryan

CindyInAZ
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #4452191

The marks left by the metal pots are not really scratches - it is more like a sort of residue which does come off. The key is primarily cleaning it after every use to make sure food does not bake on it and to make sure your pots are dry and clean before using it.

Thank you for that link BryanPoirier. That had some good ideas which I will certainly try. Christine was right when she reminded me that, in spite of all my arguments, it is definitely easier to clean than a cooktop with drip pans and iron burners.

As with any new technology, I've discovered that it is a matter of experience and education. This has been a terrific platform to vent and share ideas.

Thanks everyone
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4453397

I think my pots must be aluminum then, they do have light colored metal bottoms. And I stir fry stuff all the time and have never had a problem with the high heat.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4454656

I had 2 men that used mine un-supervised for a year. They had 2 temps, 1 click to the left of off and one click to the right...high.
I have never had a better stove.
;)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4454768

My kids just bought a new home with the black ceramic (GE Profile) and I too find it very difficult to clean. Perhaps it is because they have very hard water but it really takes more elbow grease than I think it should. While it is a bear to keep nice it cooks like a dream.

When I bought a new range myself about 5 years ago I asked the salesman if I could slide pots between the burners on the ceramic tops and he said definitely not, that the glass would scratch. I settled on a sealed burner gas range (Dacor) which cleans in a jiffy, nothing like the cooktops of yesteryear. I rarely need more than a damp cloth to wipe up anything that is spilled or burned on. Funny but I don't like the way it cooks; it takes forever to boil water but for cleaning it is tops.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2008
5:55 AM

Post #4501372

Well, this thread settles it for me, NO black top! LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #4502152

On the worst day with my black top stove is still 100Xs better then the old type stove!!!! I still love mine!!!!

Jeri
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #4502162

I love mine too, I would never in a million years go back to the old type of stove. I've had 2 different ones now and I never had problems with either one, and my mom has one as well and has never had problems.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4505250

I love mine. Get a Maytag. Mine looks brand new. The older models are the ones to avoid.
Sidney
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4505302

I wonder if it is just how the light in your kitchen falls on the black cooktops. My son and DIL have one (GE Profile) and I hated the way it looked when the light hit it. You could see all sorts of marks, fingerprints, you name it. Depending on where it is placed in your kitchen this would not show as much. I scrubbed and polished that thing to no avail.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4505633

I don't think it's the light--if I look at mine at a certain angle I can see where all the fingerprints, bits of burnt food, etc are and I'm always able to get them all off. And honestly I've never had to work that hard at it--I clean it first with a scrubby sponge and ceramic stovetop cleaner, then if there are spots of burnt on stuff I take the scraper blade to it to remove those. Once I do those two steps, it's always spotless. (and I should note that I do burn food onto mine, I drag pots across it, and I don't always clean it up the second I'm done cooking and I still have no problems with it).

I'm really puzzled by the disparity of experiences with this type of stove--I don't think we ever got a conclusive answer as far as good/bad brands, but I really think there has to be something like that going on. I think there are some people who are afraid to scrub/scrape the surface as hard as they need to in order to get the burned stuff off because they're afraid it'll damage the surface, but I don't think that accounts for all the people who have had problems with theirs. So I think there's something going on that makes some better than others--could be the brand of the stove, the color of the stovetop, the type of pots/pans used, or maybe something else entirely.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #4507063

I agree with ecrane. Mine is a GE, a black top, and yes it shows fingerprints, etc., but other than that it looks good. I've never had a problem getting all the crud off - burnt food, even burnt plastic since I'm such a ditz. And I rarely wipe as I go because I know it'll all clean up just fine. And it does, though sometimes it does need elbow grease using either the cream cleanser or the scraping blade, so I think ecrane's hit on something here suggesting people are afraid to scrub and scrape the surface hard enough.

Christine

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #4507157

Mine is a Frigidiare. A cheaper one I might add!!

Jeri
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #4507158

I cleaned the top of the stove myself at the kid's house and used plenty of elbow grease but I guess my point it that it takes far more elbow grease than my range at home. I have a closed burner gas range (Dacor) and it looks as good as it did the day it was installed. All it needs is a quick wipe up. I will say the glass top cooked a lot better than mine does. Nothing is perfect. LOL
wvfarmgirl
Wayne, WV

February 22, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #4573507

I am VERY disappointed! I love my fridgeaire black cooktop, however last night while cooking fried apples bacon and biscuits, the stove top cracked all the way across for no reason! I have the extended warranty, however, I am not sure if they are going to try to pull "I dropped something on it" I am afraid they are going to make excuses for not fixing!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #4573579

How horrible, our friends dropped a pan on theirs and cracked it too. If I remember correctly it was $2000 to replace the top and that was 6 years ago!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #4573655

Since you can get a whole stove for $500 I can't imagine it would be $2000 to replace the top. Or if it is, then it's definitely not worth doing, just get a new stove!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #4573692

The separate cooktops are way more than $500 and this was 6 years ago when you were fairly new. They ended up getting a whole new one instead of just replacing the glass.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #4574475

Sorry--I assumed it was a freestanding stove.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2008
5:49 AM

Post #4576198

When the hinges on my Laptop popped in december I took it to the Geek squad. The first thing they said was did you drop it? NO!
That was the end of that querry.
Now I know you can say "NO!" as well.
That's why we pay those extended warranties!
Let us know if you need back-up.
;)
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2008
9:02 AM

Post #4673584

Thank all of you for the wonderful responses to this thread.

Since I first started it, I have gotten used to the less than "showroom perfect appearance" of my ceramic stovetop.

I do agree with those who have reminded me that they are a lot easier than the burner & grate stoves, to keep clean.

I have made peace with mine enough, that I now just wipe it down with a dishcloth and a little Dawn. It takes the grease and spatters right off, as I do it right away.

I guess for simple cleanliness, it's great. About as easy as wiping down the countertops. I guess my main disappointment was that I hated the idea of all the buffing and "extra" attention it needed to look like it did in the showroom. That caught me off guard.

I have never been able to get the silver-looking halo/rings to go away though. I think they are beneath the surface... maybe caused by heat.

I've learned to live with it, and as long as I know it's clean, I guess that will just have to be good enough.

To those of you who are considering buying one... Just know before hand, that they don't always stay as pretty as they were, once you use them. And if you're really fanatical about the shine, you'll have to buff. But if you can live with a few smudges when the light hits it just right... and still know it's clean, you'll be ok with it. If you know these things going in, you may not experience any disappointment, and be quite happy. I actually have learned to like the functionality of mine after all. Maybe even enough...to get another one someday if needed. haha... Bet you never thought you'd hear me say that :)

Many thanks to all of you who have commented on this thread. A wonderful help to anyone thinking of buying a ceramic top stove.

PeggieK
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #4674350

Glad the discussion was helpful! I still think there's something about different brands or something that contributes to how nice they look after they've been used a bit. I'm pretty lazy about wiping stuff up the second I'm done cooking and my stove still looks pretty good most of the time. I do have to get out the scraper and the ceramic cooktop cleaner if I want it to look perfect and sparkling, but when I do pull those out I can get the stove looking showroom new in under 5 minutes. (mine's a Kenmore, and I had one at my old house that also cleaned up just as easily, I think it was a GE)
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #4674908

Mine's a Maytag with 2 ovens. I love it.
Sidney
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #4771246

I followed this thread since I'm interested in a ceramic stove top. Just yesterday we stopped by to see some friends that we haven't seen in years. She has the ceramic stove top and I asked her about cleaning it as hers was very nice & sparkling clean. She said that she'd had it for about a year now and she uses a product called Cook Top Magic sold at Bed Bath & Beyond (of all places) Anyway, it is used just like car wax. Squirt some on the cook top and rub around... let dry and wipe off. She said she had no problems at all with her cook top and she did say that this product would take up the white ring from the pans.

If this has been mentioned before, sorry... it's been awhile since I've read this thread.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #4771590

That sounds similar to what I use, different brand but same idea. I think there are some brands of stoves that don't clean up well--the people that have problems seem to have tried all the same things as those of us who have no trouble keeping our stoves clean, so I really think it's something related to the stove itself.
Fanlight
Bethany
Canada

June 5, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5059723

One of my burner area's has developed what I call a "bloom" it is a coloured stain, blue and red. Nothing removes it, don't want to scrub as I have very careful with the top since I got it, no idea what put that thing on mine. Has anyone tried baking soda on them?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5059896

I've never tried it but it's pretty much impossible that baking soda would damage the ceramic top so there's certainly no harm in trying it. And you can actually scrub the tops pretty hard without damaging them.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #5060738

Looks a little better since I used a Magic eraser and baking soda.
Fanlight
Bethany
Canada

June 6, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5065026

Well, the baking soda didn't work, the bloom is still there, no clue what it is or what caused it. It is not a baked-on stain just a round rainbow area in the middle of the burner, so frustrating.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5065056

How old is it? Can you call the manufacturer? That sounds strange, different from some normal staining. Maybe it's a warranty issue.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5065074

Have you tried Dawn Foam on a 3M scrubber?
I find it works wonders.
Also have you tried a razor blade scraper?
;)
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5065513

I get those blooms sometimes, I use a cream cleanser such as Vim on it-it takes a bit of patience, but it will come off.

Fanlight
Bethany
Canada

June 10, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5084578

I'll try the Vim, that sounds promising. What is Dawn foam?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5085141

It's sold next to regular dawn and is a super degreaser.
Has a pump and I use it directly on the green scrubber side of one of those scott scrubber sponges.
I always start with a razor blade scraper.
I sometimes use the razor blade scraper with the soap still on the burner too.
;)
Heidillyho
Stanwood, IA

June 14, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #5100993

I'm coming a little late to the game but I love my ceramic cooktop. I got mine at an auction for an appliance place that was going out of business. I didn't get a warranty or anything with mine though.
I have to admit though, I don't follow the manufacturer's instructions. I don't use the "special cleaner" because I found out that a paste of baking soda and lemon juice does the same thing.
As for the crusty baked on "ring" I used a razor blade scraper on mine-very carefully of course...BUT I do NOT reccommend that if you have a warranty.
You could try making a paste of dishwasher detergent and water and let it set on the ring for a couple of hours...OR some ammonia soaked paper towels and then cover it with a large pot lid over night. That might be enough to shift the burnt stuff.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5102163

I just wanted to add that mine came with a razor blade scraper.;)
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5103500

The instructions that came with mine said to use a razor blade scraper for the tough cooked on stuff, and came with a bottle of cream cleanser similar to Vim.

doctorofposies
Westerville, OH

September 21, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5581686

I've found that everything comes of easier when the stove top is still warm after the spill or splatter. Baking soda paste and a sponge with the scrubber on the back (the sponge came with my stove.) It inexpensive, non-marring, and works wonderfully. Rinse and dry with a kitch towel. Mine sparkles.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5581997

I agree about the green scrubbies on the sponge backs; they work amazingly well to get nearly everything off, and yes, freshly spilled is way easier to clean up! I sold my old house and bought another this past spring, leaving my lovely creamic top stove behind. The new house came with an old stove that I figured I'd live with. That lasted about a week and I was whining about everything to do with it. So, I have another ceramic top stove and absolutely love everything about it, especially the sparkling top!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5696939

I bought a 1 dollar razor blade in a plastic holder thingy at wallmart and I use that. put on the cleaning creme and let it set for 5 mins or so to soften, and then scrape off with the blade. I do not use the blade for anything else, only the stove top. Then I wash it off with soap and water, rinse and then rub down with that creme stuff again.
I have cleaned off alot fo burnt black ring stuff. OF course it wasn't Meee cooking! :)
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5697170

It wasn't ME either!
I too, keep the razor scraper in the cupboard next to the creme stuff.
I had hated mine at first because the cleaning was so different. It was the learning curve.
Now I can't beleive how much easier it is to clean than the old style stove that you have to take apart to clean.
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

November 14, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #5790047

Reading this thread has made me all the more happy with my own choice of cooktop-- sealed gas burners with a porcelain base. It needs no special cleaners, no scrubby pads, no razor blades, no buffing, no elbow grease; just a wipe with the dishcloth & a quick shine with a paper towel will have it looking like new every time (I've had it over 3 yrs. now). With a couple high BTU burners, there's instant heat & much quicker cooking than my old electric, and the simmer burner's great for low-slow cooking.
The black color does have one drawback. We live out in the country, and it takes only about a half hour for visible dust to settle on surfaces around here. I've got lots of east windows in the kitchen, and the morning sun really highlights dust on the black surface. I can invite company for lunch or dinner, but not breakfast, I guess ...unless I take the occasional "dusting break" while I entertain ;)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5790133

ooojen, that sounds like a good one(besides the dust problem of course)
mamaofmany
Shawnee Mission, KS

January 22, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6034622

Ceramabrite & Bar Keeper's Friend both work very well...
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

January 23, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6040048

thanks for the ideas, will try the 'bar keepers friend' and microfiber cloth...I cook mostly at my son's ( I live in a small studio apt. and do like it ) he has a stove with a small oven on top of big one...I can't bend good and I just love it...but the top is a job to keep looking nice...he is into stainless steel and black...nice but shows streaks etc...when not cleaned right...keep the ideas comming!!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6040499

I have started just using the razor first, wiping that off and then using a glass cleaner. Simple and easy. I have had to soak with cerama brite when I had a white ?stain on it that wouldn't scrape off. But usually I just wipe it with a wet rag, scrape, and hit it with windex and a paper towel.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

January 25, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6050032

Two issues I found completely untouched in this very long thread about cooktopsThe first has to do with sugar and foods containing sugar, and the second has to do with overheating and/or boiling things dry.

I have a mark on my most used burner, and a bit of a halo. They both came from accidentally boiling a teapot dry, which left that burner with a mark which reminds me of the rainbow-sheen you get from a drop of petroleum in a puddle of water, in the center of the burner, and a tiny incomplete ring of crud around the outside of the burner. I believe the crud, which I can't seem to shift, is solder, melted and bubbled out of the seam of the teapot, and the rainbow mark has, I think, had something to do with a chemical reaction between the two metals when they got hot.

When sugar gets hot it can dissolve the cooktop glass and can result in pits in the glass--I know this because it was in the owner's manual, which I read before I used to cooktop ...so I guess there's something similar between the cooktop and sugar on the molecular level. My owner's manual warned against things like teapots boiling dry as well.

I must say the thing about the copper bottom pots was new to me though. My owner's manual didn't say anything about that. My stove is a Tappan, BTW. The owner's manual did warn against using cast iron on it as it might scratch, but I use mine with caution and haven't seen any scratches so far. The owner's manual suggested the razor blade technique.Seems good for everything but solder.

I bought mine to be able to say goodbye forever to cleaning up all the complex parts of an old traditional stove, and so I'm totally satisfied with mine. Mine might have a tiny (tiny!) residue of solder stuck to one burner, but it doesn't affect its cooking power and I've never had to clean rings, pans, or burners since, so smiles all around!

Melis
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 21, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6170048

Last night I had a pot of beans boil over. I had the nasty starchy sticky scum on the stovetop. I took my spray bottle of 50% vinegar 50% water while the burner was warm, not hot. It came off easily.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 22, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6171304

Great idea, thanks Teri
chattykat2010
Lake Worth, FL

March 24, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6314046

I was in a panic b/c I was boiling water for mashed potatoes and well it boiled over scalding/burning the stove top burner, and I am living at my boyfriend's parent's house and oh boy was i scared, but the Ceramic Cleaner called Cerama Bryte worked like a charm, of course you have to wait till the stove top is completely cooled off.

Just thought I would share my experience b/c i went to this site looking for help before I attempted cleaning the stove top.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6315001

As we have downsized in the past six months and now live full time in what was our vacation home, I am back to a typical electric burner stove. Ladies (and gents)... just go back to an electric burner stove for a while, and you will have new appreciation for your ceramic cook top. Remember this? Things boiling over, down into drip tray, seeping down into the underneath (so you can disassemble to clean)... replacing drip pans, "trying" to clean drip pans... count your blessings! A little "haze" or "ring" is nothing compared to burnt spillover in a drip pan. And btw, I am very thankful to have our home and my electric burner stove. Luckily, I enjoy maintaining things I love... including myself and DH, LOL!

Brenda
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

June 9, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6663161

I inherited one too. Why no copper? Also, I just got a new enamel lobster pot and didn't read the fine print- it says not to use it on ceramic stovetops- why??? Answers much appreciated!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6663190

Copper bottom pans are good, but they can leave residues on the cooktop that appear as scratches. These can be removed if cleaned immediately, but do not let a copper bottom pan boil dry. An overheated copper pot will leave a residue that will permanently stain the cooktop.
* Porcelain/enamel pans give good performance only if they have a thick, flat bottom. Avoid boiling these pans dry, as porcelain can melt and fuse to the surface.
* Glass or ceramic cookware is not recommended. These pans may scratch the surface. Glass is a poor conductor of heat so cooking times will be longer and they may require constant attention during cooking.
* Stoneware is not recommended. It may scratch the surface and will give poor performance.
* Cast Iron and Coated Cast Iron cookware is also not recommended. It is slow to absorb heat and could scratch the cooktop. Once this type of cookware heats up, it holds an intense amount of heat which is transferred to the cooktop. This can cause the element to shut down as a response to the temperature limiters which indicate surface temperature is too high for cooktop components to handle.
AprilS1
Gainesville, GA

July 4, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6774528

Try using a Brillo Pad. Works very well with no scratches. I have a Whirlpool Super Capacity 465 and this is the best thing I have found. Takes about a minute to clean up.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6895686

Someone mentioned using Barkeepers Friend. Now I'm no whiz in the kitchen, but to the best of my recollection this is a very good product IF you are looking for a granular abrasive type cleaner. BUT I don't think abrasive cleaners are supposed to be used on ceramic top stoves. My simple answer for mine is - don't use it! so i nuke most everything
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 15, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6950656

I've had mine for 9 yrs and couldn't be happier . I find that when I have grease spatter , I can take a paper towel and wipe good , then follow up with another paper towel . Shines like new . Of course this is after the red light goes out indicating it's cool enough to clean digger
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7045249

We have our second glass top by choice. We have had none of the aches and pains running through this thread. Love the ease of maintenance and lack of surfaces that collect crud. So far in nine or ten years we have had one temperature dial reastat go bad. Service call and all cost us just under fifty bucks. We are now seniors for sure. We can't be cleaning all the time on all the other types of stoves. I use cast iron all the time and my wife uses ceramic and glass both on the top and in the oven. None of our pots or pans create heat so they can not get hotter than the stove top from which the heat originated. I've done everything bad that can be done to our tops excepting the solder melt down of a tea kettle. We find the tops able to handle the two idiots that live in this house far better than any other stoves we have owned.

I'm a half baked chef and would have prefered a gas burner top. The wife is a nurse that read an article about stove crud and it's contents. That did it. I like the ceramic tops now for home use. She won't eat pancakes out of my cast iron pans and waffle irons either. LOL

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7045405

Doc, What brand did you get?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 9, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7045431

Don't know about Doc , but I bought mine from Sears . It's a G E . they had a model change and got this one for 229.00 . The smart alec oven for 339.00. digger
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7045687

We have been in the same house for thirty seven years. Our home town small shop dealer was hot on Frigidaire. We have had Frigidaire all the time in this house. The dealer sold out and retired. By that time we were branded pretty good. Excellent service with no problems that were big problems.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7046031

Even with all the griping about not making stuff like they used to , let's face it , we have stuff pretty well made these days. (Except cars) . I do appreciate the air conditioning and power steering . Just not the plastic and fiberglass . digger
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #7047354

We stopped doing Sears when they stopped providing on site and instore service. Today they contract with less than excellent service people to provide home service. If those guys would have been good they would or could have built their own businesses. My last Sears service person was sent two hours north or four hours portal to portal to offer service. I refused at the door. The poor guy screamed to high heavens but that refusal blocked four hours of time at sixty five bucks an hour. No way! My daddy raised a few idiots but no cotton picken fools. There were some nasty words that followed but that is all it could amount to and they knew it. The mall store is fifteen minutes from my home and five minutes from an excellent service firm not realted to Sears.

My guess is that the service call went to an outsourced location that likely did not know Pennsylvania's location let alone where my address was within. However the job was recorded done with about two clicks on a mouse. They could have done worse and sent someone from Pittsburgh some seven hours away one way. Fortunately for them Harrisburg comes before Pittsburg on the contractor's lists.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7048747

I only use them if it's still under warranty , otherwise , I call in an independent or replace it .
JOANNEMAGUIRE
Londonderry, NH

October 31, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7227458

I had a gas range & replaced it with a GE ceramic black top range. I bought all the right pots & pans to go with the new top. However, I obviously no longer can use my old cast iron skillet on high heat to fry or sear meat. I recently went out & bought a long porcelain covered cast iron grill pan to use on my double stove top burners. But after reading the dangers of porcelain up above, I'm afraid to use it. Any ideas as to what I can use to grill, fry, saute, etc. as I used to in my good old cast iron skillet without damaging the ceramic top? I miss my gas stove!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7228123

My DH uses a cast iron skillet on my ceramic black top range to cook steaks. No problem.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7228174

I use cast iron on our top with no problems. There is no problem using modern cookware to perform any cooking proceedure when directions are followed. It is far easier to keep clean than any other stove burner arrangement. I plan on the continued use of cast iron for some of my cooking and baking.

Our top is three years old and shows no marks that can be seen with the naked eye.

As a reasonablely good amateur chef I would have prefered a propane burner top but pure and simple finances would not permit me to order the professional models that approach and exceed ten thousand to purchase. Secondly if there is no gas line in the house there is rarely a gas explosion based fire. Finally the bride of some fifty plus years really liked the hardtop and feared the gas models.
Loopie65
Greenville, SC

November 8, 2009
6:21 AM

Post #7252327

I have a Fridgidaire Black Glass Top Stove and on occasion my husband burnt his tea he was making in a copper bottom stainless steel pot. The copper bottom was probably not squeakly clean. This has caused a gray, ashen color
discoloration in the glass and nothing can take it off. I have used it everything. Does anyone have any ideas? My first one was a white one, but not a Fridgidaire and I loved it. Thanks.
Loopie65
Greenville, SC

November 8, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #7252336

Does anyone know if you can just replace the glass top or is the top and the burners all one unit? If so, are they expensive?

Thanks
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2009
7:02 AM

Post #7252389

The glass top replacement is almost the same cost as a new stove. I don't know how to get rid of the discoloration. Some one should be along soon that can help. ^_^
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7252925

It's possible that what looks like discoloration is just a thin layer of burned on stuff, if that's the case then you should be able to scrape it off. Might take a bit of time/effort but sometimes that's the only thing that'll work. But with copper pots, I've heard if they're overheated they can leave behind a permanent mark on the stove, so if that's what has happened then there isn't much you can do.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7253302

What have you tried so far Loopie?

Cream cleanser (like Vim) will take anything off of mine, and I have some major catastrophes. When its a really stubborn stain, I'll use a razor for as much as I can get off and then green scrubbie with the Vim.

Yes, I'm afraid JuneyBug is right, those tops are very expensive. Perhaps if the stove isn't too old you can make a deal with the manufacturer.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #7254813

Have any of you tried the new Dawn Power Dissolver? I use it on my stove top and it will dissolve burnt on residue without scrubbing.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 9, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7256133

I've used iron skillet on my black one , Fridg. for nine years and best thing is not drag it across the top , . no scratches on mine . good luck , digger
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7256979

I had a white stain once (that was not from copper). I soaked it by covering it with the cleanser and a wet rag for a day or so and scraped it with the razor.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7311698

Exactly what is the recommended type of cookware to use on these stovetops?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7312163

Mine said flat bottom pots and skillets preferably without burned on residue on the bottom.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2009
5:56 AM

Post #7330690

I don't have this kind of stove - sniffle, sniffle - and I must confess that I didn't read the entire thread. Hope I'm not repeating something already discussed, but I just wanted to warn you about the recall on, I believe it was, Fridgedaire and Kenmore brands. The info (consumer reports) said that the 'burners' have been known to come on all by themselves. Sometimes the burners will also fail to go off when switched off. People have been burned as a result. You can probably find this info at the .gov site for recalls.

Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7331597

I just bought two pieces of All Clad stainless steel. They are heavy and sit very flat and are advertised as being good cookwear for this type of stove top. I threw out my old Kitchen aid pans that had been all scratched up inside and were kind of warped on the bottom. I'm very pleased with the All Clad. They are expensive but I only bought the two pieces I know I'd use all the time. If cared for properly, they should last as long as I do. :)

I find it easy to clean the top of my stove with a product I bought at Walmart in the cleaning aisle of the grocery section. It has a handle and you put clean sheets on the bottom and rub down the stovetop with it. Cleans up all the marks and comes out nice. My stovetop is speckled blue with dark burner areas so it doesn't show the stains like a white or solid colored one would. I'm very happy with mine. I'd never go back to burners again.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 4, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #7334866

Me either . digger
SchottCeran1
Oaktown, IN

April 29, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7750085

Just curious who has a Schott Ceran brand ceramic top?
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7753676

I do. It is on a Whirlpool stove.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7758395

I bought a new product today for cleaning the ceramic top. Its called "Glass Ceramic Scrunge", its produced by Vileda and it can be used wet or dry. I just used it on mine, and every single spot came off. It comes in a box of two, each 'scrunge' has a rough side and a soft side, and I paid $4.59 plus tax. I will never be without one in my house again as long as I have a ceramic top stove.

terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #7762650

I am looking today at the store for it. Ceedub, where did you find it?

It is maddening. I was pressed for time last night. I mad the kids mac & cheese & I spent an 30 minutes this morning trying to clean my stove top. Nothing like a little pasta water to mess your day up! My great grandmother used to say "The hurrieder you go the behinder you get!"
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7764375

A little far for you terichris, at Canadian Tire; a box-type automotive / hardware / sporting goods / etc., etc., store. I'm sure you could probably find them at Walmart. I've seen that brand of products at Walmart in Canada.
janmunsey
Salem, OR

June 4, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7858594

This is a fascinating debate! Either you love flat tops---or you HATE them. I had a black flat top and loathed it. It's hard to wipe up spills as they occur, because the surface is too hot; which also means that the spill is being cook on to to the stove top. That cleaner they give you is totally useless. I often ended up useing a razor blade.
Eventually, I went back to good old cooking with gas!
I just don't understand why there are such passionate and opposing views on this issue.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7858681

Because although flat is easy to clean, once you've figured it out, not a lot of people like the aspect of change. Like you, going back to cooking with gas, a method you knew best.

Personally, gas cooking scared me because of the fire, and regular topped electric ranges totally annoyed me because of the time it took to clean them. When I discovered flat top, it was like a cloud was lifted from my life. It doesn't matter what it takes to clean it, I'll figure it out, because overall its far less of a chore.

And, as I posted above, now that I've found this amazing ittle 'scrunge', 2 minutes of cleaning after a really stuck-on meal and my black glass top is gleaming again. No chemicals, no sprays, no razors, no cleansers.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7859068

I still have the hypothesis that not all smooth tops are created equal--I have a feeling that there are some types/brands that are nice & easy to clean and others that are more prone to problems. Once you buy one of these, within a few months you'd be over any learning curve on how to clean it and should be enjoying it, so if it was just about adjusting to the change then you'd see all the "haters" would be people who just bought their stoves and within a short time they'd be back here saying they changed their mind and at least felt OK about it even if they didn't love it. But the people who don't like theirs seem to stay not liking them, and many of them have had the stoves for a while so I keep going back to there must be some fundamental difference between the stoves. I don't know if it comes down to the brand, or the color of the surface, or some other weird thing but I think there is a real difference out there where some of them are good stoves and others aren't.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7859290

You make a lot of sense there ecrane. Perhaps I've just been lucky with my two. I had to leave my first behind when we sold our last house 2 years ago. This house came with a regular burner stove and I figured I'd just get used to it - NOT - but I honestly didn't give it very much time. I really love cooking and adapted fairly easily to the flat top, and going back was just depressing and frustrating.
harpe
Kenmore
United States

September 13, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8096984

I am in the market for one of these. If ceedub and ecrane are on the right track, and as I was reading the prior posts I had the same thought because that could explain the diversity of experiences (though like most manufacturing these days only several probably out there for the tops) what are the good brands and what are the bad.

Or is it the specifications used for manufacture and not so much the brand?

And, are there gradations of models within a brand type? Is it a matter of you get what you pay for?

I haven't started looking and certainly am grateful for this site and all its contributors who unselfishly shared the good and bad experiences.

I would really appreciate comments about my comments and identication of the specific brands that were good and bad.

Thanks.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8097177

I bought the cheapest Kenmore smooth top model and mine's been totally fine, so it's not a question of high end vs low end. I had one at my old house as well which I think was Whirlpool (can't remember for sure though!) but it had similar features to the stove I have now, so although I didn't buy it myself I expect it was probably in a similar price range and it also had no problems.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 13, 2010

Post #8097458

Whirlpool makes most all kenmore electronics stoves , washers ,dryers , and used to make most all kenmore microwaves
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8098378

That would explain why my Whirpool stove and my Kenmore stove were so alike! LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 14, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #8098409

Yeah , I worked for a company ,Presto , years ago and found out we were making all Sears toaster ovens for them and my micro , years later , was actually Whirlpool . Sears brands are cheaper , just different trim . IMHO , Whirlpool is the top of the line, and anything they make is superior , no matter what brand is on it ,altho , Sears had a contract that Whirlpool could only make for them at one time.It may be that both companies are affiliated now .
My glasstop is a G E and bought at Sears . It's almost 10 years old and I couldn't be any happier . Cleans easy and no gummy burners to clean .
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8101292

I have a Frigidaire ceramic oven that I bought used from a guy on Craigslist. It was filthy when he delivered it, but I knew I could make it sparkle. I had always wanted one of these ovens but couldn't afford $600 or $700 as they were in the stores. It took me 6 hours to clean it inside and out and when I got done, it looked almost new.

I love it! I hope I never have to go back to a traditional electric or gas oven again. It's so easy to clean. I keep a little scraper handy and immediately scrape off any foods that spill. So it always looks clean. I love the flat surface.

Mine has a self-cleaning button that locks the oven door and heats up the inside of the oven to bake off any food that spilled in there. I've never used it since I dont' cook much. But I thought that was a nice feature...for a cook. LOL Mine is all digital and modern and pretty. A well-spent $200, even if I mostly use it to heat water for tea. LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 16, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #8101754

Mine is just the cook surface with a cutout in the counter top. The oven is across the room built into a cabinet . I wanted to not ever to have to bend over to get anything out of the oven . The oven is digital too ,and I've only had to use the cleaning feature twice , altho I do need to clean it again . I don't roast , or make toast or anything that will spatter inside. Not bad for almost ten years ,eh ? Baking is the thing I use mostly .I think I mentioned before that it makes it shine , after cleaning the cook surface in the cook top ,to polish it off with a few drops of cooking oil on a paper towel
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8101894

I usually just clean mine with soap and water. I tried using that cleaner that came with the range. But it's not really a cleaner; it's wax basically. So it just shines the surface with a waxy substance, like waxing my van. I don't like any kind of film or slimy substance on my stovetop. There are times when a chunk of food falls out of the skillet and it's too good to waste, so I might snatch it up and eat it. I wouldn't do that if the surface was coated in something. And I sometimes set clean pots and pans on the stovetop to dry before putting them away. I wouldn't want wax or anything else on the bottom of them when I stack them in cabinet.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 16, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8102290

I didn't mean I greased the top . It dosen't leave a film and you go over it a final time to remove any excess . Not waxy. Not slimy, Peanut oil , edible and if you used a cleaner that was waxy , there are better products on the market .
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8102299

Soap and water work just fine for me. The cleaner that was designed for my stove is actually great for removing the oxidation from the lenses of my van headlights. They fog over so badly I can't see to drive at night. So I clean them with the waxy cleaner (Cerama-brite or something like that) that came with the range. My range shines without any additional product.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 16, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8102302

To each his own
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8102824

I found that "finishing" the cleaning with a shot of window cleaner really made it shine. I used a razor scraper and dish soap for the main cleaning and dried it well first. The dish soap left it kind of dull looking, and windex cured that. Easy peasy...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 16, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8102942

I've done that and it works really well for me too .
jonimichael
Rohnert Park, CA

January 15, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8312651

Some time ago I posted a question but it doesn't seem to have appeared. I have one of the Whirlpool Ceran type cooktops which is a speckled grey and black. I was having no problem keeping it clean until I inadvertently melted the black handle of a scraper. I managed to clean that up from the burner but didn't realize that I'd dripped some on the burner in front of it. I used that burner and now the plastic is burned on the burner. I have not used the burner since and have tried the ceramabrite, scraper, rewarming the burner at a low temp, used wet sandpaper, and on and on and it seems to be baked on. Does anyone know of a solvent that might soften the plastic? Even if it removes part of the shine, it can't look any worse than it does right now with this black blob!!!! Help!!!!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8312685

Try acetone. It desolves some plastics and might work. You can get it anywhere you buy paint. It will be close to the paint thinners.
jonimichael
Rohnert Park, CA

January 15, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8312907

Thank you, Butterfly chaser!!! Today I actually went to Sally's Beauty Store and got a bottle of professional strength nailpolish remover to try. I will try that first and if it doesn't work, I'll go to the paint store. I did inquire about a solvent there once before and was cautioned against using it but like I said before, it can't look much worse than it looks now!!!! Thanks!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8313275

Acetone is one of my favorite things. I always have some on hand for removing sticker residue, black scuff marks from shoes, any kind of glue, paint that splattered somewhere I didn't want it, etc. It works beautifully on your car to remove that red paint on the door where someone at walmart slammed their door into yours. It does dissolve certain plastics, so be careful using it on anything plastic or plexiglass. I tried to remove sticker residue on my computer monitor once it "melted" the frame a little--not enough to hurt it or enough for anyone to notice but me, but it did scar it a bit before I noticed what it was doing.

When using acetone, be sure to have proper ventilation. The fumes will knock you out if you breathe too many of them. Since it's the main ingredient in nail polish remover, maybe what you bought will do the trick. It doesn't work as well as straight Acetone, but maybe enough for your project. Good luck!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8315989

Read all this thread with great interest. I have a black glass Whirlpool Accubake System slide in range. Looked up its file and couldn't believe its 10 yrs. old. Use ceramabryte or bakingsoda when it gets cleaned. I'm a very clean cook and rarely spill or boil over anything. I'm too lazy to scrub the top often. Have used a razor blade on it a couple of times then the cleaner, waited for it to film up dry and then buffed it off, sometimes winding up with windex if I want a real shine. Front panel is cheap plastic and only looks great after windex. Guess I don't worry about the stove much at all cause I have kept a service contract on it since new and when something goes wrong I just call for service and it is taken care of. My GE side by side same thing. My Husb. can longer fix appliances with micro chips and fancy parts in them so I keep service contracts on them even though the companies don't like it because they would prefer I buy new. I buy contract 3 yrs. at a time. I can't
get excited about a cook stove though I cook everyday. Show me a Mazaroti or a Land Rover and you'll get my attention. LOL My stove does have rubber push buttons on front panel with knobs for burners. I have wrecked push buttons so I told repair man to leave me some extra which I can put on myself. Hopefully we will never smash the top but if that happens oh well if we can't get it replaced we get a new stove. Either way I know I can't get out of cooking as I have 15 grandkids and 18 great grands and they often like to bake cookies when they are here.
I'll never clean drip pans again unles its a HAVE TO. Everything here is electric. Guess you can have gas if you want but its not popular in my area of Fl.
Enjoy your cooking and don't sweat the small things in life. Bonnie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 18, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8317101

As mentioned before , I have glass top island stove , but here in Tex , I have an electric , cooking range with the drip pans .I want to replace it 'cus I hate the cleanup Need a chain link fence and two porches first . HATE IT !
cashukid
New Carlisle, OH

March 27, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8454147

Thought I was doing my Wife a favor in buying this glass cook top.
Had I known the work it was going to be, I would have stayed with
my electric exposed heater ring range
I read where WD40, sprayed directly on the range top would clean
and remove rings and Carbon. Not so!

Have used the cleaner supplied with the range, with little success.
They are a real pain in trying to keep them looking good.

To all of you who are thinking of buying a glass topped range.

DON'T DO IT.

Find a Neighbor who has one and ask for a first hand account
of the problem of taking care of it.

Read this whole Forum, before buying.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011

Post #8454191

I don't know what's so hard about cleaning the glass top. I absolutely love mine. I don't use the cleaner that came with it. It's really a wax, not a cleaner. It doesn't clean; it shines if you buff it out enough. I actually use it to clean the oxidation off my headlights. LOL

To clean it, I just use soap and water and a razor scraper. The scraper gets rings and burnt on food off without marring the surface. That's all I use.

I bought my stove 2nd hand and it was so filthy! It took me 6 hours to clean it up inside and out, but I got it for $200 and it was only a year old. But it was soooo nasty! Fortunately I know how to clean just about anything so I can overlook a little filth if I'm saving 100's of dollars. Once I got it clean, I just clean it after each use and it takes a couple of minutes.

I think the scraper is a must. Get a little window scraper and scrape off any grime and cooked-on food. It takes seconds to scrape it away and then wipe it clean.

I love my glasstop stove and think it's one of my very best investments. I'll never go back to a gas stove or a regular electric stove.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8454365

I miss my glass-top stove, but given the choice, I'd have a Viking gas stove over anything.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8454487

My black cast iron frying pan, my favorite ss whistling tea kettle, in fact ALL of my favorite pots and pans seem to be at odds with the glass cooktop stoves

Maybe if these hard to keep looking good stoves were like Murphy beds and could be kept out of site when not in use they would be more acceptable lol.

I,too, prefer infinitely adjustable gas for cooking and porcelain over plastic for durability. Guess I'm just retro.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8454520

Me, too!
Garf5
SMITHS FALLS
Canada

March 28, 2011
1:32 AM

Post #8454921

We love our stove with the ceramic top. We use the KD Cloth to remove all the streaks and smudges. The yellow cleaner is still required, but this cloth makes it sparkle.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8460011

When we shopped for a new stove, I was told that I would not be able to use a canning pressure cooker on the top. That automatically stopped my desire for it. I have the old coils and have had to buy new replacement drip pans because the originals went into the self cleaning oven and cracked all over. I bought new ones in black and now they only go into the dishwasher. (:^) Luciee

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8460085

I use my pressure cooker on my glass top stove. Have for years. No problem.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 30, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8460126

I use mine too, and pressure cooker is the best for start to finish dry beans ---one hour , start to table.
I put a new , electric stove in a mobile home in Tex. Couldn't afford a new glass top yet .I have the smooth top here at home ,10 years now and it looks like new . The one in Tex . needs the drip trays replaced after 2 months of gentle cooking . Been in use a total of 5 months now and I can't imagine why anyone would prefer the old trays to clean over a smooth top .
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8460177

I feel the same way, Digger. I moved up from the drip pans to the ceramic top and feel like I've been set free. Usually a simple wipe of the surface is all I need. Occasionally, I need to scrape off some burnt-on stuff, but it's a snap. I was very fortunate to find a one-yr old stove on Craigslist. The people were moving and the appliances were already in their new house. Lucky me!!!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8460195

I was talking about a CANNING pressure cooker. First, you have to exhaust all the cold steam. Then you have to put the weight on the exhaust vent and let the pressure come up to the required # of PSI. Then, you have to hold it at that temp for the required amount of time. I use my regular cooking presure cooker, also, and I can see how a few minutes time would not hurt. I did not want to take chances. Luciee (:^) My Mama always called me a goat, and this is the closest picture I have of one.

Thumbnail by luciee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 30, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8460813

Yep , I was agreeing that I use my canner, then ,how my pressure cooker, altho not completely flat as recomended is still fine on the glass top . I am careful with the iron skillets , and don't scoot them around , but lift and move if need be , and they are also fine . My brother put a small scratch on the surface several years ago with an iron skillet but it isn't noticed by anyone but me .
I can understand how you would be nervous about the weight of the canner, and by all means , don't use it if you think it might hurt the top . I do use mine cuz no one ever said I couldn't .
Whatever you're comfortable with , they Are expensive to replace .
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8460840

Thanks, digger9083. Luciee
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8461425

Here is some info on why it can be tricky to use canners on ceramic. Many years ago I had one of those Jenn Airs with cast iron hobs and the manual clearly stated the warranty would be void if canners were used without an adapter, availabe for a price of course.

http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8462331

Thank you, Ardesia for this info. Yes, it was the fluctuating temps and the shut-off that really caused me to not buy the ceramic top stove. I am an old lady and old habits die hard. Thanks for posting the pickyourown site, that will be useful. I have had enough jars to break in the canner, so I do not need any more problems. Good day!!! Luciee(:^) Here is a flower picture for everyone.

Thumbnail by luciee

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 31, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8462365

Looks like I've been lucky ! I must have a compatible stove top ,know it has a crossover heat using two burners for a pancake griddle type cooker . The article has just stopped me from ever using a heavy canner on it again . I will use a two burner propane cooktop from now on ,or as I'm getting too old and can buy frozen veggies cheaper than I can grow them and put them up, I think I'll just give the canner to my DIL. lol Thanks for that article , it was enlightening .I'm serious !
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8463224

Yes, Thank you so much Ardesia!!! I've been lucky, too.

I've used that pick your own site for many other things, too. Two years ago it was so helpful in my quest for non sugar jams and natural pectin. Whoever does the site is quite savvy and a great resource to bookmark.

Thanks for the pretty flower, Luciee.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8463397

You are welcome!! Luciee (:^)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8464381

You are welcome luciee and coleup; I have found that site helpful too.
Judy_WilliamsAZ
Williams, AZ

April 2, 2011

Post #8468046

I wish I would have read these comments a few days ago. I just bought my first Schott Ceran,black top Whirlpool Gold from Lowes. It is by far the prettiest stove with its double oven, I have ever owned. It did not come with any cleaners or scrapers. Not only did I mess up by my choice of top, I also chose the brushed aluminum accents. I am scared to death to look at it or touch the handles! I have already managed to put a scratch on it ! How is the best way to clean and protect it? As for cookware, I have always been a 18/8 or 18/10 kind of cook but my step -daughter said I should invest in "Technique" cookware ( QVC)
Has anyone heard of or used " NanoSafeGuard Cooktop Treatment" by NanoEmporium ? Just found it on the web.
I would greatly appreciate your input. I really don't want to grow to hate this beautiful addition. I do cook a lot and love to bake. I make tortillas and cook beans in my pressure cooker. Is this smooth top so fragile that I'll have to change my ways or take a loss?
Thank You sssssssssoooooooo much!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 3, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8468330

Judy, I love pots and pans to the point that I buy them from second hand stores and garage sales if they are "premium" stuff . A good pot is a good pot no matter where it lived before me . Any smooth bottom , heavy duty thing will do to cook in and I have four pieces that travel with me when I spend half the year in Tex . Don't be afraid to use that stovetop , just don''t drag the utinsels across it . Most any cleaner designed to clean a top with is ok . you can get it at any Sears store or a dollar store , makes no difference .A razor blade scrapper is a good investment for the tough , burned on stuff . I do not store any glass containers , like jars or canned stuff above the stove because I'm afraid of dropping it when I go to get anything off the shelves . Dry boxed things or chips , crackers , that's all . Pressure cooker is fine , roaster is fine, just to be on the safe side , no pressure CANNER , as the link above advises . Use that top and BTW, send it to me if you decide it might bite you . Hugs , and enjoy , Sally
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8468562

I wouldn't stress out about the new stove just yet--give it a chance. If you read through the thread you'll see that while there are quite a few people who've had problems with theirs, there are also quite a few people who absolutely love theirs. Scrapers are easy to come by, and for cleaning you can find cleaners for the glass top stoves in places like Target. I don't know anything about that NanoSafe stuff but a regular stovetop cleaner would be a lot cheaper.
Judy_WilliamsAZ
Williams, AZ

April 3, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8468578

Good Morning Digger 9083 ! Thanks for taking away some of my anxieties. I love the looks of my new stove. I don't store anything above it, but I want to have the matching Micro
installed above. My husband said, if I ever have to go anywhere without him, he's not using it. I have removed certain pots and pans from my kitchen now and they will be for camping only. Like you, I found my 3rd pressure cooker at a second hand store, like new for $6.00.
I have one that is warped so it will be fine on the gas camping stove. I will take the bull by the horn and just try to use it before I decide to send it away.
Hugs back and thank you so much! Judy
Judy_WilliamsAZ
Williams, AZ

April 3, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8468599

Good Morning to you, ecrane3. I'll take a deep breath and get in there and rattle those pots and pans...but very gently. Thanks for your reply!Have a great day! Judy
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 3, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8468658

I know , it's scary at first , mine was too . They are a lot tougher than you think . Don't think I'd try to knock off burnt stuff with a hammer tho . What brand did you get , mine is G E from Sears ? Closeout ,395.00 . Oven separate , close out , and all the goodies , 695.00 . Can't do that again . Ten years old and no problems. Love it .
Judy_WilliamsAZ
Williams, AZ

April 3, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8469759

Whirlpool Gold- $1400.00 . Double oven, 5 burners. Beautiful. Was told by the installer,
DON'T TOUCH IT WITH ANYTHING MADE FROM A TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess I'll start reading labels. HaHa, just kidding. It is more fragile then I expected but I'm not ready to ditch it yet!
Won't do that again !
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 3, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8469813

The more you use the better you'll like it . Hope you don't ditch it , I'd hate to pay shipping all the way to south Texas . lol
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8470312

I started out hating mine and grew to love it only after learning here to buy a razor scraper. It is still the easiest and best stovetop for a normal kitchen. I am going to have to buy a gas one with a super-high-btu burner when we leave Korea - it makes a huge difference in cooking. I may be able to get away with a little 1 or 2 burner stovetop for that though, so I can still use the flat-top for everyday cooking. I am really sick and tired of having to take this gas stovetop apart to clean it every time we use it...whine...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8470645

Many gas cooktops have sealed burners now, they are not that difficult to clean at all, it is a easy wipe down. I do take the burners apart to clean the orifices about 3 times a year.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8473159

Ahem, I got my Maytag double oven flat top about 5 yrs ago. I still love it.
My Daddy sold real Stainless Steel cookware 60yrs ago and it has a slight indention in the middle of my 60yr old SS pans. I can't imagine any cook ware that could work any better. They still look as good as they did when I was in the first grade and my stove top looks great too.
They cook the food and don't scratch. I think it's mostly hipe!
I also have flat bottom cast iron skillet that cooks great too on that stove.
Sidney
janmunsey
Salem, OR

April 8, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8481293

I guess you either love ceramic cooktops or you hate them. I used one for a year and hated it with a passion. I now have a gas range with sealed burners and cast iron grates.It's a snap to keep clean and beautiful and I'll never go back to ceramic again!
MomElaine
Clarksville, TN

April 9, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8482967

Hello! I just purchased a GE profile smooth top stove and I am in desperate need of advice. The top scratches horribly! We even purchased new cooking set of stainless because we thought maybe that was the reason. I am on my second stove and it has scratches! Sears has given me the option of having another one like it or pick another brand but I have until the 13th to decide. I had a smooth top for 16 years before this and never had a scratch problem. I love everything else about this stove: double oven, stainless steel and it matches my over the oven microhood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not clean it with anything except the cleaner that came with it. Thanks!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8483484

I'd go for another brand if you've had good luck before and aren't having good luck with this one. Based on the wide variations in people's experiences with the smooth top stoves that you can see in this thread, my theory is that there are some brands/models that are easy to keep clean & unscratched and others that are a pain. Looks like you got one of the ones that's a pain, so I'd try another brand. If you know what brand you used to have get that brand again, or if you don't remember or Sears doesn't carry it, I've had good luck with my Kenmore smooth top.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8484259

Perhaps we (all of us that have voiced our opinions) should just make a quick post about what brand/model and whether we like(d) it or not.

I'll start...

JennAire: Liked
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8484283

I would make a guess that the circles seen on ceramic cooktops are metal transfer from whatever pot you are using. The circles follow the outlines of the burner beneath the glass and are probably due to the fact that the temp is hottest there. Stainless steel cutlery will mark a dinnerware plate with grey marks. If the metal transfers that easily to ceramic, would not the high heat of a burner make the metal of a cook pot transfer to the ceramic? At one time, I think they only recommended the use of non-metal pots for this type of cooktop. Metal transfer is harder to remove than any food you might spill. Just my 2 cents.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 10, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8484449

Return it to Sears as unsatisfactory . They will exchange or replace or refund. Mine is a G E and almost ten years old . Perfect condition , except for one minor scratch , unnoticeable

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8484702

Mine is a Frigerdaire Gallery and have had it a number of years. LOL!! I don't cook every night but do heavy cooking will I do.
MomElaine
Clarksville, TN

April 12, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8491516

Thank you for all the suggestions. I did contact Sears and they are going to let me return the stove and microhood for another brand. I choose the smooth top stove with double oven made by LG and the matching microhood. I will let you know how they are. I just hope it doesn't scratch so easily... :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 12, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8491876

Yeah , I just had to return a chest freezer . Frost was building up on the seal , just a fluke . I decided to pay the difference and get an upright . That was in Texas last month and liked it so well , I ordered another to be delivered to the store here at home so it would be waiting when I got home for the summer . Sears is great for taking stuff back that isn 't right .

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8546896

Have a Jenn Aire, almost 7 years in this house still HATE IT!!!!
floridamom
Dallas, GA

March 1, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9026108

I wish I read this last year before I bought my ceremic top stove. My electric stove was very low maintenance. The burners and drip pans I just wiped off with a wet dish cloth. If the drip pans needed to be replaced, a very inexpensive purchase. I had it for 10 years and was like new when I regretfully sold it very cheap. The buyers couldn't believe how it looked new and it worked! Also, it was not a big expense for its upkeep like having to purchase many of the cleaning paraphenalia to maintain a ceremic top stove. With the regular stove, if there were any spills, again, the wet wash cloth was used. To finish off the cleaning I used Windex. Easy peasy!! No fuss! BUT this piece of you know what is a pain in the you know what! If boiling water spits out of the top of the pot, you can't just wipe it up like a regular stove because you have to wait for the ceremic top to cool off. The same when you are ready to clean it, you have to wait for the red light to go off telling you it is cooled down. Then you can clean it off and, really, it is still to warm. Let's see, with a regular stove you only need a wet cloth and/or paper towel and cleaner (i.e. windex). But with the ceremic top you need, a scraper, special cleaner, special sponge/scrubber and if you want it to shine you have to buff it, buff it, buff it with the microfiber sponge or even a paper towel. And then the crumbs that get caught on the edges are a nusiance. And these marks or scrapes, stains etc. that are embedded you have to get them out if you can and so on and so on! Just a royal pain. As an earlier poster said, you have to buy all these special things. I don't think it has anything to do with a particular brand of stove as another poster stated. I think it has to do with your expectations of how you want your stove to look. I along with most of the majority of the posters have higher standards of wanting their stoves to look shiney and clean. Has nothing to do with the brand of the stove for pete's sake! I am placing an ad on craigs list to sell it even if it is at a loss. I am going to purchase another electric stove. Getting rid of that crappy ceremic stove top. Though the oven is great. Another problem and a bigger problem than the maintaining the cleanliness is the temperature of the stove top. This is my biggest issue! Since it is ceremic it gets very hot quickly and take a very long time to cool down when you need to turn the temp down. When you are bringing something to a boil and then it has to be lowered to a simmer it take too long. On a regular stove this can be done quickly. So since this takes too long I have to turn off the burner I was using and even still it takes too long to cool down. Then I have to turn on another burner to the lower temp. It's ok if you are only using the one burner but if you are using two or more you are screwed!! I just really regret it. My husband was the one who was insistent on getting the ceremic top only for cosmetic reasons. But he regrets it too. If he cooks on it, he has to deal with that issue along with the cleaning it. I am not a cook as one poster said, I nuke more than I cook! Much easier! On the cooking channels I don't see the ceremic stoves being used! Oh, and not being able to use certain pots and pans is another headache. If you have the ones mentioned in one post, you have to put them aside and purchase different kinds which is another cost. More money spent. After purchasing it, I did ask several of the women I work with and they don't like theirs either. Wish I knew they had the ceremic stoves before I purchased mine. WARNING!! Take heed! NOT the brand of the stove.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9026410

I've had the same ceramic stove top for at least 18 years. Love it!! Would not have any other kind. I frequently let things boil over and I have always just been able to scrape it off with a razor blade I keep in a drawer next to it. Use the cleaner made for ceramic tops. No certain brand just whatever I find and don't buy it very often. When I get really messy I sometime have to use a little elbow grease to get it off but it always comes off. When I finish cleaning I take a paper towel and buff it good. Hate those coils and little pans that are never clean!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9026580

Charlotte I have started cleaning mine with plain ole baking soda. I find it does a great job and then I use window cleaner to give all my appliance a nice shine.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9038725

Jeri I've been doing lots of cooking lately and haven't been too careful and had spilled lots of stuff. I tried your baking soda today and it was amazing. I sprinkled baking soda all over the burner areas and then poured white vinegar over that and just let it sit for several hours. The stove top looks like new!! Everything came off! Even a few burned on places that I couldn't get totally scraped off before. That's all I'm gong to use any more. Thanks so much for the tip!!! I've gotten lots of good cleaning tips from you. You know how to do it!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9039237

I'm glad that it helped!!! LOL!!! After you clean one repo you are an expert!!!! So glad we're out of that stage of our lives. My mama used baking soda and/or vinegar for almost everything. You need to clean your washing machine. Pour a cup of vinegar and run a cycle. Clean glass, use vinegar and ammonia. Clean floors, vinegar and water.
mj12

April 5, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9070595

Just beginning a search for a new stove. Any comments on using/cleaning a ceramic top gas stove with electric oven would be welcome. Thanks
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9070613

If you read through this thread you'll see that people either love or hate their ceramic stove tops--unfortunately I still don't think we've figured out why some people have a great experience and love them while others have a horrible experience and hate them. There are a lot of people on both sides and really nobody in the middle, it's a very strange situation. I still wonder if it comes down to certain brands of stoves vs others but I don't think there's enough info here to say for sure which brands are good/bad. Many of the people who posted here probably have electric stoves, but assuming the gas versions are made with the same stovetop material I expect you'd find the same mixture of love/hate. Lots of cleaning tips throughout the thread too--again I would assume cleaning would be the same regardless of whether it's gas or electric. The people who hate their stoves have tried all those things and they didn't work for them, while the people that love their stoves have tried some/all of those methods and had good luck.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9070618

I'm in the group that loves them and wouldn't have any other kind. Mine is electric. I also think I've probably had mine about the longest of any. Mine is 18 years old. They were fairly new when I got it. I've never had any trouble getting it clean. The last thing I tried I will continue to do. At jerri11's suggestion I sprinkled baking powder on the burner areas and then poured white vinegar over that and let it sit for a while (a couple of hours) and then wiped it off. I had done a lot of cooking and had let some things boil over. It all came off and the top looks like new! Can't imagine having to clean those pans and underneath the burner area again!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 5, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9070640

Don't think they come in gas version . Correct me if I'm wrong .

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9071075

Yeah I think it's only electric with a smooth ceramic cooktop
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9071513

I hated mine until I learned to clean it with a razor blade before I put cleanser on it. Since I bought it I have moved to and around Korea and I have to say that I really, really,really do not like gas stove tops and can't wait to get back to that easy-clean surface.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9071640

One of my sons has an older model gas cooktop and it is a bear to clean, there are so many parts that have to be removed, etc. I have what is called a sealed surface gas range and it is the easiest top to clean I have ever had and at my age, almost 69, that is saying something. The cast iron grates easily lift off and it is a breeze to wipe down, nothing sticks to the surface because it does not get that hot and there is a slight indentation so nothing that boils over runs anywhere. I love being able to slide a pot from one burner to another without worrying about scratching anything. I have arthritis in my hands and that is important for me. I also love that the heat can be lowered and controlled so quickly. There are some little brass rings that direct the flames (there must be a name for them) and I put them into the dishwasher once or twice a year. Also, we get storms and sometimes lose power here, although my top has an electric starter, all I have to do if the power is out is to strike a match and voila, we can cook. I am disappointed that I did not know enough about BTU's when I bought the range, I would have gotten one with a higher number but overall the DH and I agree this is a piece of cake to clean.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 6, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9071644

I haven't seen that one Ardesia . What about the smell of gas ? My DIL's had an oder when she turned it on .
mj12

April 6, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9071699

Went shopping last nite. The main ceramic top with gas burners also has a gas oven and is made by Jenn-Air. I assume gas ovens have even temperature cooking now. I do a lot of baking as I can't eat gluten. Also have the arthritis issue with the hands so less cleaning is better. Goods: The whole surrounding top and under the burners is ceramic- does have the little gasket to clean around the edge. Just lift off the grates and put in dishwasher. Has a floor vent 2 speed fan which I already have in place- no revamping for a hood above. Love this fan haven't had to wash a greasy ceiling down for years. Don't have to buy new pans or worry about warping them when sauteing. Bads: Cost!! $2500 plus. 1 oven 24x15x19 - just barely fits a large roaster without burning fingers but not complaining too much. Can get it with one side as a grill unit- been there done that don't want want it now. Mainly want the high heat and availability to cook when the power is off line. Have a 17yo Jenn Air that is shorting out among other problems and the parts are not available any more. Good thought about the smell of gas as I've not cooked with it for a long time. Will ask around about complaints. Question: Have less expensive ranges with a porcelain top- how is that to keep clean? Still choking on the price will have to consider. thanks thanks for the input.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9071765

No gas smell that I can detect and I have a sensitive nose, my DH always wants to rent me out as a sniffer. LOL If you can pick up the scent, perhaps the gas mixture needs to be adjusted, oxygen to gas, etc. I would call a repair person certified to work on gas or maybe just the gas company and ask. No natural gas here so I have to use propane and the range is dual fuel so the oven I have is electric. I do like the idea of an induction burner, that might be the only thing that would tempt me back to an electric cooktop.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9071817

There shouldn't be a gas smell

Jenn Aire appliances have one one the worst repair records...people that lived here before us obviously did NO research before redoing the kitchen, everything is JennAire, except the fridge, we've been here almost 8 year and EVERY one has already broke down on us, good thing my hubby knows how to fix basically EVERYTHING

Still hoping one day that the cooktop with break beyond repair and I can go back to cooking with gas
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 6, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9072166

You said it before me , flowajen . My best advice is to check with Consumers Report before buying any high end product . Last year , several Jenn Aire models were at the bottom of their list . You can check the pluses and minuses on the model and compare it to other brands .
The smell came from the mixture of air to gas . One good thing about it , when it smalls , get it checked .Some D I L's are smarter than us in-laws. She didn't smell anything . Son had it checked on the sly .
moodylou
Akron, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9081553

I have a Whirlpool ceramic cook-top stove. Been reading all these comments, and did not see anything about the REST of the stove. I have no issues with the black cook-top, mine is with the back top part of the stove, the black plastic area where the controls. etc., are. My family uses this stove a lot, but no one ever cleaned that area, and now I have grease drips, smudges, you name it, and I have tried everything to remove the grease and restore the shine, but nothing has worked at ALL. It looks way worse than a ghost ring on the cook-top ever could and it is a real eyesore. Anyone have a good idea on how to restore it? Thanks

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9081562

Mine is just the built in cooktop. My ovens are separate and built in. My whole cooktop is glass. The control knobs just have little holes cut in the glass for it to go through so mine is not a problem. I just take the knobs off to clean and wipe the glass underneath them off.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 15, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9083862

Call Whirlpool and tell them the problem . They should be able to advise you . Better yet , send them a letter and be positive about the product , but explain the problem . Who knows , they may send you a new back or a new stove . The nicer you are , the more they will be willing to help solve the problem . It could be the year model had inferior plastic and they are aware of the problem already . Stick to facts !!!
gemfire55
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9346635

I have one of the black cooktops too and its a royal pain to clean after my kids have used it. My biggest complaint is that you can't do any canning on it. I didn't buy it. My X decided to surprise me and when I came home from work it was there along with dishwasher and stainless steel side by side fridge. I wanted the dishwasher but my other stove and fridge were fine. I've gave up with 2 teenage kids trying to keep anything shiny around here. If I had the choice I'd have the stove with the coils and the plain old white fridge...

Pam
MendoMama
Willits, CA

August 20, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9636273

I was glad to stumble on this forum and find I'm not alone. I to had a black ceramic to and HATED IT! I have been very fortune that renting for the art 4 yrs came with a gas stove! I just recently (6 weeks ago) bought a home that came with another GE Profile ceramic cook top. *UHG* after cooking on it for 5 weeks one evening my husband opens the oven door and there was a huge loud pop! We couldn't figure out what it was but when we were done cooking and clearing the stove top, there it was! A HUGE crack from the bottom right to the top left. With 2 smaller cracks leading off of it. I couldn't believe it! We are now looking at the cost of putting in Gas lines. However, I'm thinking I'm going to need a replacement top ad I'm so not looking forward to that. :( I took a photo after clearing the top. I hate the ceramic cleaner as well but was always able to maintain a clean top and we both cook a lot.

Thumbnail by MendoMama

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9636326

I have the black ceramic top and LOVE it! I have founding don't need commercial cleaners. I liberally sprinkle the top with baking soda and then pour white Vinegar over that and let sit several hours or overnight.will takehardcrustedboiled over things right off. Any thing left can be scraped off with a razor blade. Mine is almost 20 years old and looks like brand new.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 20, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9636749

Mine's 14 years old now and still looks like new .
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

August 21, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9637416

Mine looks and works great. It's 5-6 years old and I love it.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

October 28, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9697118

I was so excited to get mine in August, but right after I got it, my sister got ill, and I had to be out of town for a few weeks. By the time I got back, hubby had already damaged the top, and since then, it's just gotten worse. If I was the only one using it, i don't think there would be a problem, but I work evenings, so hubby cooks for himself, and he doesn't wipe the stove after each use like I do. Really regret going with the ceramic top.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 29, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9697676

That would be grounds in my kitchen .
recentcoin
Celeste, TX

March 10, 2014
9:04 AM

Post #9786449

This probably isn't the "approved" method to clean them but I've always found that Easy-Off oven cleaner does the trick. Spray it on and let it sit until it isn't turning brown any more. Wipe it off with a sponge or paper towels. You may need to do this more than once. Wash it down with soap and water once all the burned on goo has been removed. Voila! Done. You may also want to do this to the bottoms of your pans to make sure that they don't layer on some more goo the next time you use them.

I used this method on a porcelain cook top for years with out any obvious signs of damage.

Here's my reasoning: The inside of your oven is porcelain. Oven cleaner works just fine on that surface without damaging it. Just don't scrub it with anything abrasive - even the green Scotch-Brite non-scratching scrubbers.
sbw38
Fearrington, NC

March 16, 2014
6:58 PM

Post #9791127

When I bought this house 3 months ago, I thought how cool to have a flat-top stove...no more messy drip pans. I agree with you all that the surface is really hard to keep "perfectly clean". But I have had something else, something that seems a mystery to me, to happen... I have two spots each more or less the size of a quarter where the service seems to have MELTED... I don't cook a lot, and fry even less, but I think it was grease that popped out onto the surface, subsequently melting it. I didn't rush to wipe the very hot surface as that, too, has never seemed to be a good idea.

Anyone else have a melting or chipping away of the surface coat?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2014
7:23 PM

Post #9791140

I've had mine for about 20 years now and have never had any kind of problem. I boil things over all the time and am a messy cook but I don't have any trouble keeping it clean. I just sprinkle the top liberally with baking soda and pour white vinegar over that and let sit for several hours. Most will wipe away. What doesn't wipe away I scrape off with a scraper razorblade. Really tough baked on spills may require more baking soda and vinegar after scraping but it will take it off. Mine cleans up like new after 20 years. Wouldn't have any other type stove top!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 17, 2014
11:37 AM

Post #9791651

I missed a 5 burner (one was induction ) ceramac stove top for $600 dollars at Home Depot last month . I have an old one in Ga . and need to replace the crummy, new, (less than 1 year old ) drip pan , electric one here in Texas . Like cperdue , Mine's over 12 yrs old and you couldn't buy it from me at any price . Still kicking my a - - for not getting the one at H D.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2014
5:45 AM

Post #9795198

swb38, I have read that sugar will eat a crater in them. We are supposed to stop cooking and deal with sugary spills immediately because of this.
Gagirl201
Marietta, GA

July 4, 2014
4:26 PM

Post #9885687

I have read most of the posts on this thread and see no mention of this problem: i accidentally put a very hot pan down on the plastic rim around my cooktop surface (holds the glass cooktop in place). It melted immediately and now there is about an inch of space that is down to metal which was under the plastic rim. Tried layers and layers of black paint, but that
didn't qt hold. Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions???...and yeah, it was REALLY hot :).

(BTW I have had my stove for about 6 yrs. and love it. Cleans fine with any cooktop cleaner...cost doesn't seem to matter. I find I just have to stay on top of it...don t let any food build up.)

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2014
9:40 AM

Post #9886100

This might work for this application: http://sugru.com/about
Do some 'test patches' on something else so that you get comfortable working with it.
Best wishes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America