Ceramic Stove tops......I'm disappointed with mine.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I was so excited when I got my new stove with the flat ceramic top. I thought it would be so much easier to keep

clean and pretty. It is actually easier to wipe it down per sey, but to keep it pretty.............no.

I've only used the special cleaner the manufacturer recommends and followed directions, but it still has developed rings and ugly places where the pots and pans come in contact with the burners. I've never had anything burn and stick onto it, as I wipe up any spills during cooking. But it's almost as if the pans are scratching and marring the surface over the burner elements.

Then even after being wiped down and cleaned, if the light from the ventihood is on, it looks smudgy anyway.

This is the stuff you never see in the showroom of the appliance stores.

Does anyone else feel this way about their flat ceramic top stove ? Or am I expecting too much and this is normal for this type cooktop ? If it is, ....... I sure am disappointed.

I'd like to hear from others who have this kind of cook top, ........ and what you think of yours.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I love mine and haven't had any problems. I've even let stuff dry and get burned on from time to time and regular cleaners don't always do very well getting it off but my stove came with a special cleaner and a little yellow sponge to use with it, and when I use that it works like a charm. You do have to buff the surface with a paper towel for a while to make sure you got all the cleaner off so it doesn't leave streaks, but if I do that then my stovetop always looks gorgeous and shiny.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

When I had that smooth top I hated it so much, I paid to have it taken out and replaced w/the coil type. Much $$ but my temper and well-being were much better.

Ann

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

You probably know this already. Don't use windex or similar cleaners on it. And cast iron pans have to be used carefully as they will scratch it. And no copper pans!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Wish I'd known all that before I got it. I probably would have made a different choice. Or maybe
would have chosen the gray or white top instead of the black top. Maybe it's like a black car, shows every smudge.
They had them in black, gray and white. Maybe it makes a difference ?

ecrane3, what color is your stove top ?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine's black. If it's just smudges that are the problem then you need to buff the surface better after you use the ceramic stovetop cleaner, if I don't buff mine out with a paper towel then it does look all smudgy and streaky.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Make sure you get a cleaner for BLACK tops- I guess the ones made for a lighter color can scratch the black tops.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I do have the stuff that they sent with me from the appliance store. I'll have to check and see if it's for black though. Surely they gave me the right one, but maybe not..............

ecrane3, I guess it would look better if I buffed it more. But I cook a lot and am continually wiping it down along with counter tops etc. The times I buff it and shine it like that are usually when we have company coming. LOL. Seems like if I do it every day, I'd just have to do it over and over because it looks smudgy each time I wipe it down, and that's a lot. I guess I just expected it to look nice when it was clean, and didn't know I would have to buff it so much.

But even after using the special cleaner and buffing stuff, it still dosen't look as pretty as I thought it would. It looks like there are permanent rings around the burners. It's not caked on stuff, it's more like it's marred or scratched where the pots and pans sit. I have the plain stainless steel cookware by Wolkgang Puck. It's fairly new........ I would think it would be ok on it.

Kannapolis, NC

I have had one for four or five years and it still looks great. I use a pad that doesn't scratch and the bar cleaner (not Comet) then I use the cleaner that comes with it that you put on and rub off. When I just want to wipe it up I use a spray bottle of white vinegar and a microfiber cloth., Mine still looks great.

Kannapolis, NC

The name of the cleaner is Bar Keepers Friend

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think the ceramic cooktop cleaners are different for different colors--the one that I was given with my stove doesn't say anything on it about colors and neither do the ones I've seen at stores, they all just say they're for use on ceramic cooktops.

Brush Prairie, WA

I also bought a black ceramic stove top and I am sorry every day....It is sooo much work to keep clean..I cook a lot and even water marks it... My son made the same mistake and even called Frigidaire to find out what they recommended....no help at all...My daughter's mother-in-law just put a black stovetop in her new kitchen.....She is very sorry she did...I use all the right cleaners and buff and wash and it looks good till I cook again..Way too much work...

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I have heard the same thing about black shiny sinks and any shiny black appliances. People hate them when they get them in. My cookstop is the white speckled color and I love it.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

That's so true. I think black looks great, (in the showroom) but it sure shows anything that is smudged on it.

When I got mine, I was just thinking how nice it would be to just be able to wipe it clean after cooking.

Never dreamed I'd have to buff and polish it to make it look nice. I was looking for simplicity.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I also hate my black cook top which we inherited when we bought our house 2 yrs ago.

Reisterstown, MD

I love my white cermic stovetop BUT................as with other readers, each time I use a burner, and I don't spill too often, the rings develop under the (stainless steel) pots. What to do??????? Is there something to buy to put under the pots to prevent this? I hate that ring!!!!!

B

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The cleaning stuff that I got with my stove takes that ring off--needs a little elbow grease sometimes but I never have a problem getting my stove back looking nice. I don't know of anything that you can put under the pots--sounds like enough people have problems like this that it wouldn't surprise me if there was something though!

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I found this thread a little late, but I also have a black smoothtop range. My main complaint is the rubber gasket around the perimeter of the glass, little crumbs get down in that gasket and are annoying to clean out. As for the glass itself, I have used every kind of cleaner on it and none have caused damage. I do find that I have to clean once with 409, and then a second time with glass cleaner to remove the streaks. Every now and then I have to use a razor blade to scrape off cooked on food.

All of my appliances are black (stove, fridge, dishwasher, etc) and I can say it is a pain to keep them clean. They look clean up close and then when you stand back and look at them from a different angle you can see dust. I'd like to go back to all white, but all of my appliances are fairly new so that won't happen anytime soon.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean. It's hard to justify changing them when they are still new. That's the good thing about these threads. Maybe someone else will have an opportunity to read them and think it over before making their choices.

Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher. You never know these things until it's too late and they're installed in your own kitchen. Drat !!!!!!

Beachwood, OH

I thought I was the only one questioning my decision on the black stove top. I have marks on my most used burner that I absolutely cannot get off. I also found a little vinegar will help take the food off, occasionally have used Formula 409 on a wet sponge, or PineSol. I don't think the ceramic product works very well without a lot of elbow grease. I find if I rinse and dry it immediately with a clean kitchen towel there are no streaks.

I used to set plates or bowls down on top of it but I don't do it anymore because I'm afraid they will scratch the surface also. But my real gripe on that stove is the edge. When I've pulled pans off the stove across the edge, it has scratched it so now it just looks dull.

I was afraid to use Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend - you're saying they are ok?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I LOVE my black smooth top. I use one of those scrubbies for teflon pans and Bar Keeper's Friend on mine. I use all stainless steel Caphalon pans or my old iron skillets and haven't had a problem with them. I try and wipe it down daily so that leftover residue doesn't burn on, but if it does it will come off with some elbow grease and the BKF I mentioned. My top is a Whirlpool.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm glad to know I'm not alone--for a while I thought I was the only one who liked my black top! I also never have problems keeping it looking nice and I'm puzzled why some people have so much trouble with them since I find mine's easier to keep clean than the older type of stoves.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I can't figure that one out. I hated cleaning those pans and I am notorious for letting my potatoes boil over. I still do that but it takes me seconds to clean it now. My dh had been warned I will require one from now on! LOL!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I love mine too and will never go back to the old style--I inherited a flat top stove at my old house and just loved it, so when I bought a new house that came with an old stove that needed replaced I knew I had to get myself one of the flat top ones.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I do like mine better than the old coil type. It's mostly the black color that I don't like about mine, because it shows dust and streaks. I'd much better prefer a glasstop stove that is white with the gray colored top.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks guys!! I'll be getting a new stove soon and this sure was helpful! I'm going to visit a few friends who have one and take a look at theirs.

Sherry

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I might like mine better if it weren't black. I'm beginning to think it's just like a black car......... hard to keep shiney all the time.

Since I started this thread, I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that it's ok. Especially after hearing from all you girls who really like yours. It really is easier to keep 'clean' per sey, .... as when you boil over or grease spatters, it's easy to just wipe it up. I guess I just wasn't ready to have to 'shine' it so much.

Also, alyrics may have described part of my disappointment in that there seem to permanent rings around the burners that I use the most.
These are almost like they are scratched or etched into the glass top.
And they're still there, no matter how polished and shiney the top is, or what product I use on it. It's not burned on or hardened food, or anything that can be cleaned off.

Dosen't anyone else who likes theirs so much..... have this ? Maybe it could be the brand or quality of my stovetop. Mine is a GE, and was around $ 700. To me, that dosen't seem like a particularly "cheap" model, and I didn't think the price was over the top, but that price didn't seem cheap either. We really shopped around before making our appliance purchases, and it seemed to be the average mid-range
price on that type of stove.

Do any of you ladies who really like yours, have these rings on the burners you use the most ?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I know what you're talking about, I do see stuff around the burners that's harder to get off, but I've always been able to scrape it off. I don't think it's etched into the glass, I think it's burned on so it just takes more effort to get it off, and I guess if it builds up to the point where there's rings all around then at that point it may be pretty much impossible to get off. Mine's a black top too and I'm perfectly happy with it, and my stove probably cost even less than yours, I got the cheapest flat-top model that Sears had.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

If something burns on it makes a "burnt rust" colored ring. I wait until it is cool and scrub with the BKF or Bon Ami and my little teflon cleaner pad. Sometimes it does take a bit of elbow grease but they do come off, except for a small one under the burner where my tea kettle sits. I think it got burned and I didn't notice it and left it to get heated again and again before I noticed. Of course the kettle sits there all the time so it doesn't matter to me that it is there. It still looks better to me than those awful coils with stuff burnt on them.

I have always wiped my stovetop off after every meal, Mom gave me that good habit. So I really don't let any of the stuff build up.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 6:05 PM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Whatever is on mine is not on the surface....... nothing burned on.

It's either etched on the glass top or discoloration.

Cactuspatch is right, even the etched ring still looks better than coils.

Maybe I'm just being too picky.

Apopka, FL

I found this thread because I am searching for a way to remove the last bit of burned on carbon on a burner on a white, ceramic, flat top (Kitchenaid) stove. Have had this kind of stove - for the first time - for a little over a year, and I hate hate hate it. It is so hard to keep clean. I used to have a gas range with the traditional burners that I simply cleaned with brillo when food ran over onto the stove. I went to Home Depot to buy the razor that CeramaBryte sells. That did get most of the carbon off, but there's a "shadow" of brown on my beautiful white stove that won't go away. Home Depot guy said the carbon gets into the pores of the glass, and that it won't come out. he's right. I used ceramabryte, bar keeper's friend, scrub pad, razor. It's in to stay. I also noticed that BKF damaged the finish a bit.

My stove cost $1k plus (it's a convection too) and I hate it. I too am considering replacing it at (obviously) great expense.

Apopka, FL

I found this thread because I am searching for a way to remove the last bit of burned on carbon on a burner on a white, ceramic, flat top (Kitchenaid) stove. Have had this kind of stove - for the first time - for a little over a year, and I hate hate hate it. It is so hard to keep clean. I used to have a gas range with the traditional burners that I simply cleaned with brillo when food ran over onto the stove. I went to Home Depot to buy the razor that CeramaBryte sells. That did get most of the carbon off, but there's a "shadow" of brown on my beautiful white stove that won't go away. Home Depot guy said the carbon gets into the pores of the glass, and that it won't come out. he's right. I used ceramabryte, bar keeper's friend, scrub pad, razor. It's in to stay. I also noticed that BKF damaged the finish a bit.

My stove cost $1k plus (it's a convection too) and I hate it. I too am considering replacing it at (obviously) great expense.

Olney, MD

I just received my black ceramic stovetop last Thursday. It is a Whirlpool and already it has scratches and watermarks on it. My daughter decided to cook while I was gone and when I came home there were scratches on the burner. I ordered the cleaner from the company. It should be here in the next few days. I cooked some fries and didn't wipe the grease off quick enough so now I have grease spots along with the scratches and watermarks all over it. I am not happy right now. I was so excited to finally get a new stove. My other one was 18 years old! I guess I need to go out and buy some new pots and pans also. Is the Calphalon the best to get? I am constantly wiping the stove. I can't believe all the marks on it already and I have only had it a few days.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ceramic1 too bad you didn't see this thread before getting your cooktop. In my instruction book it says to make sure the bottom of the pans are totally flat(no ridges) and you can NOT drag anything across the top or you'll scratch it.
I still hate mine.

Olney, MD

Another question for you all about cleaning the control panel. I was simmering some vegetables on the back left burner. The vegetables needed to slow cook for about 30 - 40 minutes ( greens ). So I turn the burner down and let the greens cook away while I did other things. I come back about 40 minutes later and turn the burner off. I then noticed on the control panel it looks like there is a huge spot where the color is different. What happened is while cooking the vegetables the steam that was coming from the pot was hitting the control panel. I guess the steam burned the "enamel" off. It is a black cooktop. Is there anything I can do to get the color back. I am so upset. If you red my earlier post you know I haven't had my cooktop for that long. The Whirlpool cooktop cleaner isn't for the control panel so I don't want to risk using it and then make it look worse. It is such an eyesore. I just did it today but you can notice it. It looks gray in that area. I tried some glass cleaner I have but that didn't work. I was doing some research on the internet and I saw something about appliance polish & cream. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I was almost in tears when I saw it. My daughter was like mom it's just a stove, LOL. She's right, but I spent a lot of money on my stove:). Any help?

Thanks much.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you have a picture? I'm having trouble picturing the damage you're talking about, probably because my control panel is made of plastic and is on the back end of the range, I think maybe yours is different than mine since you're talking about enamel? If yours is made of plastic like mine and you somehow managed to heat it up enough to melt/burn the plastic, there is no way to fix that. But I boil stuff on the stove all the time and the steam hits the control panel and doesn't do any damage, so I'm puzzled how yours caused damage, especially if it is enamel rather than plastic because that would be much harder to damage.

Olney, MD

Hi ecrane3, the model number for my cooktop is RF362LXTB0. The control panel is on the back like yours I'm sure. It looks like where the steam was hitting it, it damaged it from the heat and has water streaks. My cooktop is black so it looks like it is discolored in that area. If my digital camera was working I could take a picture for you. I am on hold with Whirlpool right now. Don't really know what they are going to do but I don't think steam should be causing damage like that. I will keep you informed. I am speaking with an agent now.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I really don't think it should cause that amount of damage either, sounds to me like maybe you got a defective one. Good luck with Whirlpool! Hopefully they'll make things right for you.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I'm so sorry to hear of your disappointment. I really do empathize.
I know exactly how you feel.
Hopefully, you will get a favorable response from Whirlpool.

These types of cooktops are so over-rated by the companies, I think.

They should make it clear that they are not as easy care as they appear. We shouldn't have to buy all kinds of appliance creams and polishes to clean up the stove we make our family meals on. That's the point in wanting the smooth top to begin with......to make it easier, not to make more chores in cleaning them, and more products and stuff to have to buy to take care of them.

I'm finally able to accept that mine is just not what I expected it to be.
It's a perfectly good stove that works properly and does all the functions it's supposed to, very well. But I finally have resolved myself to the fact, that it will never be as pretty again as it was that first day I saw it in the store showroom. All it's scratches and dark areas are just a part of it, and that's the way it is. I have finally given up on all the extra polishing and fussing over it. I just wipe it down with a soapy dishcloth each time I use it and call it good. I do know that it is nice and clean at least. Once I got over the anger and disappointment and accepted it, it seems like it's really a pretty nice stove.

Makes me wonder how my DH must have felt after the honeymoon.
Maybe once he got me home and kept me for a while, I may not have been all he expected from what he saw in the showroom. And after 37 years........I may not look as good, but I still manage to do everything
that really counts adequately. And we've become old comfortable friends after all.

If I get real lucky, this is what will happen to me and my stove. haha.
Maybe I'll eventually forget to notice it's warts and flaws. hehe.

Good luck with yours.

Waddy, KY

I'll have to say that compared to my old coil burner stove I LOVE my cook top. I've had it almost two years and yes it has some discolorations and it might streak when I wipe it off but hey, I COOK on this stove. Things run over and grease splatters. If it doesn't wipe off the razor blade comes out and it's scraped off. Compared to the labor it took to clean up the old stove this one's a piece of cake and I don't have to have drip pans and steel wool pads and every other cleaning supply known to man. I'll take a few discolorations gladly. After all, I've been around the block and I ain't as purdy as I used to be either! LOL!

I'm not being critical in this comment but I guess my expectations for my stove wasn't as high as others and therefore I'm not disappointed. The only way my stove was ever going to stay pretty and clean was if I never used it and in my household that's just not going to happen. It's rare that a supper isn't cooked and the oven goes from 6:00 to 10:00 at least four nights a week from May-November. Right now I could be Frigidaire's spokesperson.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.