Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: window repair

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 1, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3238803

O.K. I am in a 100 year old house. I have several windows damaged by the hurricanes, in addition to the house not being maintained since the 1950s. I really do need to take the glass out of every window, sand, prime, and replace the glass, putting in new glass for old where the original glass is damaged. Id better do it myself. I don't have much money and I have already learned that Alabama is over-run with scammers. Except for hurricane damage, all of the glass is original wavy glass.

In the main house--not counting the additions, there are eight rooms and each has 4 double hung windows. In some cases the upper sash has slide down behind the lower. The original window weights are still in the window frames, but not many of them still work. Im sure there is going to be some frame rot.

Anyone ever taken on this project and what advice do you have for me?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3238894

It is a lot of work ... I would do one window at a time, for starters. You have to figure out how they concealed the access to the ropes and weights... I'll google for a site to show you.

If you are replacing glass, I would definitely use linseed oil on the muntins etc. to keep the window glazing from drying out too quickly.

I would start with a window that's not very visible, like in a back room. As you get better at, it do the windows that you'll see every day, there is definitely a learning curve here.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 2, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3240394

Claypa; thanks. Does the linseed oil go over or under the primer?. I have the Preservation Briefs for refurbishing the window weights, etc, but just wanted any input from the brains here on Dave's.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #3240695

Under the primer. You can mix it with a little turpentine, then use an oil based primer, preferably one with linseed oil in it.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 2, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3241256

thanks, claypa. will add linseed oil to my list of supplies.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America