Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Damping Off??

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 9, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3241106

I started some morning glory seeds. Sterized container, new soil-less seed starting mix. The seeds germinated, sent out one long root, didn't even lose the seed coat, then the stem, just above the line of the seed starting mix turned brown and shrivelled up. Once I saw they had germinated I took off the cover, should I have left it on longer? I still have one seed that hasn't keeled over yet, should I remove it from that container and try to transplant it to another?
Help!!
Deb
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #3241348

Oh, Deb I'm sorry!

Air circulation can help prevent damping off, so removing the cover was a good thing not a bad thing.

See this post I just wrote about sterilizing potting mix, http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3241335

I'd transplant the remaining seedling and give it a drink of water with hydrogen peroxide (1 tablespoon of standard 3% concentration per quart of water) or weak chamomile tea (both are anti-fungal agents). Make sure your potting mix is just moistened, not soggy wet. Some people put a fan blowing on their seedlings for better ventilation, which can also help.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #3241460

Jill's given great advice...get the last one out of there, and just barely moist...in new mix. No cover on it. Let the air circulate.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
6:34 PM

Post #3241531

Thanks Jill and Mel,
I transplanted the remaining seedling in a new clean pot with new mix. I'll have to run out and get some hydrogen peroxide. Keeping my fingers crossed that this last one makes it!
Deb
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2007
5:48 AM

Post #3243452

Good reading ladies, thank you. I have a question to add. I have what appears to be the beginning of damping off in 3 containers. I plan to chuck those containers and start over, but I'm wondering if that soil can be sterilized and reused?

Thanks,
La
Loocy
Eastbourne,E.Sussex
United Kingdom

March 3, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3243594

I've never had damping off problems since using Copper Oxychloride solution.Murphy's make it in England.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3244306

I probably wouldn't re-use soil that you know had fungus in it, especially for seed starting even if you sterilize it. Unless you absolutely can't afford to buy new mix, I would buy new stuff instead (make sure you sterilize the new stuff too before you start).
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3245178

Thanks! That was my instinct but I thought I'd bow to your experience. I just love all the great advice here. :)
daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2007
7:29 AM

Post #3246337

I use hydrogen peroxide in the water to water from the bottem of my seed pots. I start to use this mixture as soon as I plant the seeds. I don't water from the top at all. Since I have been doing this the past couple years, I do not have dampening off at all. I don't sterilize my soil either. I also don't cover up my pots either. But this is just my way of doing things. I had dampening off bad a few years ago and found this method to really work.

Edit to say that I just mix water and a shot of hy. per. to the water.
Carol

This message was edited Mar 4, 2007 12:30 AM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #3249407

I asked this question a while back... there are some good answers in this thread

Chamomile Tea and Peroxide and a fan are being tested out here

and thanks critter for the starter soil advice... I am going to try that... some of my mix is showing signs of mold even after the peroxide and tea... I put some of the peroxide in a small sprayer and just hitting the parts that are going funky... so far it looks like it's helping

Allison

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/687584/

here is another thread... it's in the middle of it

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/677301/

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 6:10 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America