-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3241492

I know there is an easy and not too expensive way to build a platform bed, I just haven't found it. A friend gave me her king size mattress/box spring. This will be for one of our extra upstairs bedrooms. I have 2 pieces of flat quality 3/4 " plywood about 6 x 8 that I keep thinking could be used for this project.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #3243430

Build a box, plywood on top. Paint or stain what shows and your done. What is your question?
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2007
6:42 AM

Post #3243477

We made one for our son's room. It was a real simple one we saw made on HDTV.

You take landscape timbers, cut 7 legs 2 ft long. Cover them with upholstery fabric and stand them up verticaly and screw the plywood onto them at the corners. The 3 extra legs go in the middle where the 2 pieces of plywod join. You just screw the two pieces onto the tops of the legs to support the middle. Use at least 1/2" plywood. Use 3" wood screws.

We then put a dust ruffle on it, added a matress and were good to go.

The neatest part is that there is no boxed springs, so you have a taller area under the bed that's great for storing all kinds of things. And the bed skirt covers and hides it and the legs.

The legs are the landscape timbers, covered with a neutral apholstery fabric. I just wrapped it around the legs so that the seam was on the inside, and hot glued it on. It was perfect, and cheap for a kids room. We could store most of his ball equipment under it.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #3243879

thank you. that is my kind of 'building'. And my kind of price.
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3281733

here is the one my husband just constructed for our daughter. He left the wide edge on purpose - for her to sit on to put her shoes on,etc. She hasn't decided yet what color to paint it.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3282038

excelllent.
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4311390

my husband actually just did one for my son too. his is 4 sidewalls of mfd put together like a box. then he put a few 2x4 across the inside like ladder rungs and laid the plywood down on top of that. it actually lets the mattress sit about an inch down inside the sidewalls so the mattress doesn't slide around.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America