Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

* FYI * potential (new) efficient solar farming: Balloons *

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Certainly appears to possess some 'promise' ..

Quoting:
Inflatable mirrors for capturing sunlight could reduce the cost of solar power to 29 cents by 2010, making the solar energy cost competitive with traditional fossil fuels

http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0221-coolearth.html

> http://www.coolearthsolar.com/CoolEarth%20Solar%20Power%202006%20Presentation.pdf

- Magpye

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 1:15 PM

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Very interesting links, I hope they can make it work.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Same here.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

This makes me wish I was an engineer. What a hot idea! Any of you rural dwellers going to get one?

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

The solar balloons are an interesting concept. I hope that we get to see them in action soon. At the same time, I am not so quick to discount the value of solar panels on rooftops. Not sure I agree that solar panels on industrial buildings are difficult to maintain - it would really depend on the building and setup. We need a variety of clean energy modalities to meet our energy needs. Every step we take in this direction helps.
I look forward to following the progress of the Cool Earth Solar group.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Bring it on!!! I have 2 acres that I could cover with balloons if it would work. They may not be beautiful but we will always have to sacrifice in some way for energy. I will keep my eyes and ears open on this.

Ida, MI

Very good idea! Not sure exactly how this works but from what they are saying it solves the biggest problem of solar energy which is that the technology and equipment is too complicated. Repair is beyond the average Joe and the equipment is very expensive though it is coming down. One thing though, I'm assuming this technology still relies on the use of batteries, am I correct?
Even if it does it deffinately looks like this is an advancement in solar tech. Hurray!

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 1:12 PM

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

As a quick aside, latest technology in photovoltaic systems don't require batteries, unless one wishes to store excess energy for use at night, or in the event of a total loss of power from the grid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.