Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Xanadu Problems

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gamblingfool
Houston, TX

March 3, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #3244589

My xanadu was nipped in a freeze (it is in a pot) and not only the stems are still there. Is there a possiblity it could still be alive and if so, how do I cut it back?

Thanks
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #3249827

I've experienced the same thing with my Xanadu (crazy Texas weather, right?), and I'm assuming the cone-like center of the plant is still firm, not mushy. If the "stems" are still there without the "leaf" part (the long stem is actually a petiole) you can either cut them off where they emerge from the cone-like center, or wait for them to totally dry up, at which point they'll just fall off. I prefer the first choice - makes them look better faster in my opinion. A little patience is needed to allow for the plant to send out a bunch of new growth to replace what was lost. But with time, you should have a decent looking plant - hopefully by the end of summer. :-)
gamblingfool
Houston, TX

March 5, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #3251691

Thanks Nifty. I did cut all the stems off and I have noticed the new leafs coming out. It rarely freezes where I live in Houston but it was that one night I wasn't prepared for. Unfortunately, it was a lovely large plant so it will take it a while to return. Like you mentioned, crazy weather this year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America