Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

starting Sweet Autumn Clematis seeds

Newburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi! I grew up with a 30' SAC vine that completely covered our board fence. I was lucky enough to snag a big ol' seedhead with about 80 seeds in it, from a friend of mine's yard. How do I propogate these seeds now? Do I soak them first? Wait to plant them until next fall, or get em' in the ground ASAP? (We're just starting to thaw here in PA, zone 6B). Any suggestions or help are appreciated!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Here you go

Newburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you! I just went to the wintersowing hyperlink and decided that since I have so many seeds and we live on the edge of a forest, that I might just either wintersow them or scatter them throughout the edge of the wooded patch. I appreciate your help!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Before you scatter seeds into the forest, you might want to check to see if this plant is considered an invasive species in your area... those little windblown seedheads could really scatter themselves far & wide.

I think Sweet Autumn clematis is probably a good candidate for wintersowing, too... there's a new DG forum about wintersowing, that might be worth checking out... it's easier than moving seeds in and out of the fridge, I think!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.