Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Southwest Gardening: Shamel evergreen Ash Tree in Zone 8b Las Vegas

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marcelloblanco
North Las Vegas, NV

March 4, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3245577

As most of you I need to replace some trees/shrubs after the big freeze. My 24 box Sumac is toast. I 'm considering a 24box Shamel Ash. Any pro's / con's would be much appreciated. It would be on the north side of my lot with full sun year round. Windy area, plenty of room
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3246795

marcelloblanco, as long as we don't get another freeze next year. I put in a Shamel Ash Oct of '05. It was looking nice, very leafy and bushy through 2006, lost all its leaves and was rebudding just before The Big Freeze of 2007. Those buds froze and I still do not see any new growth. Hope I don't lose it but right now I'm not so sure it's going to come back.

It's a great tree but does need more water than some others. If I lose it I will be more xeric in its replacement.

HTH and GL.
Mary
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3249974

Mary mine is doing the same as yours. It started putting out new leaf buds and then we had that darn hard freeze. Still no signs of life yet. :o(
DesertDreamer
Tempe, AZ

March 5, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #3250522

Mine made it thru very well. Has just started to leaf out in a big way. Be sure to guard the trunk against burn for the first few years, they burn rather easily.
Chad
desertpalm
gilbert, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #3251032

my 24" box shamel lost its leaves the first year(05-06), and came back early, almost right away. This year the same, in spite of the '07 freeze it beat every other tree in the neighborhood leafing out. I see no sigh that this is not a cold hearty tree., and I can say it handles the heat very well. My chinese elms are now showing new leaves, but they are far behind the shamel. My shamel faces west and handles the direct hot late day sun no problem. They grow quite large here, ultimately 30-35' tall and quite wide(25'). There are a bunch of old ones near where I work, they all look pretty good and are nearly all leafed out now. Some of these trees get disease and lose whole large branches, but they keep going, throw nice shade in summer.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3251223

I think the reason my Shamel ash is struggling is because this is its first full year in the ground. I know that other mature, established trees (ficus for example) took the freeze better than new starts.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3251810

I agree Mary mine was just put in last year too. which reminds me I need to go get a good look at it now!!
marcelloblanco
North Las Vegas, NV

March 6, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #3252527

I lost two trees that where just planted in April 06 one was a Sumac (crisp to the bottom) :( OK It looks like I will plant the Shamel. But Can they take the hot desert sun June thru September? I have a Magnolia that keeps me pretty busy in the summer so I don't need to have another problem child.

Thanks
desertpalm
gilbert, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3253677

Marcello, my shamel ash takes the hot western sun, no problem. Prepare the ground for fast root growth, and the tree will be established against hot and cold faster. Just assure good drainage with sand and compost.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America