Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Keeping birdies away!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
londonteatime
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #3247422

Hi y'all!!! I'm new here and about to begin a small vegetable and herb patch! BUT, I have a whole lot of birdy friends, due to a feeder I've had in my yard. I love watching the birds but I certainly don't want them to destroy my plants! Should I get rid of the feeder, or is there a way to keep the birds away from my veggie patch? I've heard stories about tying red ribbons around the plants or a tinfoil pie pan to a stake so it would make noise. Do they really work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Julie
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3247610

I have birdfeeders in my garden and have never had a problem with birds eating anything, but corn. That was my fault as I did not treat for earworms. The birds (Grackles and Bluejays) would open the ear to get the earworms and mess up the ears of corn. I stopped the earworms and no more bird damage. I do keep the birdbaths filled and there is one near every feeder.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3247621

I have had problems with birds eating all of my strawberries. I put some bird netting around them, but it is a pain to work around!
fourx
Nth Coast NSW
Australia

March 5, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3249761

Farmerdill, a quick question at the risk of straying off-topic slightly..? I have a big problem with earworms, to the extent that I have not bothered growing corn over the last few summers. What have you found is the best way to overcome the problem?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #3249848

I use carbaryl, but a well timed application of agricultural oil will work. Some backyard gardeners use mineral oil applied with a medicine dropper. Too labor intensive for any number of plants. I try to apply just as the silks began to brown. The moth lays its eggs in the silk and the oil or a contact insecticide kills the eggs.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #3250106

Strawberries and especially blueberries the only thing I have to fight birdsfor. I like cheap netting from the fabric store, because it doesn't get caught on the twigs the way the black bird netting does.
Veg and herbs have never had bird problems.
londonteatime
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3250432

Thanks, y'all!!! Yes, when I lived further south, grackles would eat my fledgling citrus. Guess the birds have a sweet tooth! Fingers crossed for my veggies and herbs!

Julie
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3250466

I tried putting out birdseed in feeders, hoping the birds would prefer that, over my strawberries. Then I found out my dog was eating all the bird seed - not great for the digestion and now I have sprouts of millet all over! So I can't really tell if worked or not.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America