Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: delphinium, blue mirror

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 231
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
littlebucket
Fresno, CA

March 4, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3248321

Are these plants evasive?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #3248335

Do you mean Invasive, like they spread heavily or takeover? No I don't believe so. I checked with PlantFiles at DG and there was no mention by anyone of it being an invasive plant.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3258824

Little bucket, for you they would be a fall planted annual.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

littlebucket
Fresno, CA

March 29, 2007
8:54 AM

Post #3332010

Yes I meant invasive. I planted them in the summer last year and they are growing very nicely already. They went away with the frost, and came back this year so I guess they are perennials in my zone.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #3334143

I'm planting those this year:) I love pretty much anything blue. I wish mine came back reliably but the self-sowers don't always come back for me. That's great that yours turned up again!
sowmo
Southern, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3543432

Dale, I like your house! It`s awesome.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 28, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #3545564

Hi littlebucket, your Delphiniums are perennials in any country any zone anywhere, what some people may have, is too cold a zone and loose these plants to frost and the roots being killed off by deep ground freeze, therefore will have to plant new each year, however, with a load of leaf mould or some other mulch in winter, they will survive. when they die back on you, in winter, that is their rest period and as the new shoots come through in spring, they will have managed in that period to make new shoots therefore the plants will bulk up and get bigger but they should not reach anything like invasive, as for self seeders, these will only become a problem IF you dont weed them out, or let them grow on till they are big enough to pot on and increase your stock or give them away to fete or other group trying to get funds for whatever. It is a good idea to lift and split your clumps of Delphiniums say every 4/5 years as if left alone, they die in the middle and all the growth to the outside, you would do this at the end of the season or, when new growth shows in spring., this is a good time to add compost for water retention and also some food granuals to replace all the energy food they have used up while flowering their hearts out over the years. if you do keep the self seeded plants, they may not be as good as the parent as the birds and insects may have helped to croos polinate for you, these seeders will take 2 years to reach good flowering plants, hope this helps you some, they are beauties and dont know anyone who would not be thrilled to have the lovely show that you have and your colour coordination is just great, well done and good luck. WeeNel.
nwain
Columbia Station, OH

March 4, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4621844

I just started these indoors from seed in hopes of adding them to my butterfly garden later this year. Our area is zip code 44028 in Lorain County, Ohio. Having never started a perennial from seed, I'm a bit nervous about the outcome. The package claims they take 18 to 24 days to germinate so I must be patient. If they thrive, they will make a wonderful addition to my garden!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America