-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3248455

How wide should I make the paths in my garden? Not rows but the paths that I will walk on and/or bring a wheelbarrow through? Or would I be doing that...the wheelbarrow? I'm trying to finalize my garden plans and just want to make sure I can navigate through. I will be planting in 4x4 sections.
Thanks for any advice!
Pinger
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3248546

It's really up to you--if you're building a path that you want people to walk on as they pass through and enjoy your garden, then you need to worry about the width a bit more, but if it's just for you to get access for weeding, etc then just make it wide enough that you can get through comfortably. Or if you want to bring the wheelbarrow in there too, then measure the wheelbarrow and make the path slightly wider than it. My guess would be that if you don't make the path wide enough for the wheelbarrow, you'll end up with at least one time during the gardening season when you wish you could have got the wheelbarrow in there, so I would make it wide enough to accomodate it.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3253634

Thank you for the advice ecrane3! Sounds good to me...
TDGarden
Calais, VT

March 6, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #3254340

Hi Pinger, I have 20 4x4 beds with 18" paths that I cover with bark. They are a little small and if I could layout the beds again I would use 24" and I know this because I tried the last few I added with this size and it works alot better. I'll try to post a picture for you.

Thumbnail by TDGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3254833

Sounds great, looks great!
Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America