Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Carnation flowers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catherinelee

March 5, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3249847

i live in Canada and would like info on carnnations . I would like to know how to grow them ? what type of soil do i need to grow them ? any ideas would be helpfull thank you catherinelee
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3249896

Carnations should be much easier to grow in a cooler summer climate than here (lucky for you, not-so-lucky for me!). The number one rule is they must have well-drained soil. Well-prepared, enriched garden soil on the sandy side is what I've always read as being the best. Depending on where in Canada you live, you could possibly start seeds indoors now. The florists' carnations are a bit more challenging than the more compact garden carnations, and much more work is usually involved (i.e. removing side buds to get large flowers, staking the stems so they don't break in the wind).

I'm sure others can add more info to the little I've supplied. You might also do a Google search for "growing carnations." It gave several results which look somewhat informative as well. Best of luck! :-)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3250071

Carnations are so easy to grow from seed. Even, down here in zone 9, they survived our 27 degree nights (just a couple of them)...they are in the garden growing great. Now I need to look at my seed lists to see what I grew as they are not blooming yet.
I grew Carnation 'Enfant de Nice' from http://www.reneesgardens.com. You should have any problem...start them inside 2 months before you last freeze date. We have winds that exceed 40mph lots of the time. Even my Rocket snaps have pulled through fine. Mine are growing in nothing but blackland clay soil...that is all I can tell you...will take pics soon of what we can grow in the winter and early spring here.
You didn't say what zone you are in????
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3258841

Here is a shortcut to Renee's catalog. http://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/seeds-hm/seeds.html

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America