Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hibiscus: Weeping Hibiscus how to prune?

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 7, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GuardanGirl
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3251305

Its time for a friend of mine to trim back her weeping hibiscus. its very leggy and I'm not sure on how to best prune this tree.
any tips on how to?
how far back should she prune it?
Its about 6 ft tall but very leggy.
sorry dont have a pic
She also has scale, what should she use that has no harsh chemicals. She's admit on not using pesticides.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3260614

Do you know what the Latin name is? I looked up weeping hibiscus in Plant Files and there wasn't anything, maybe if you know the Latin name someone will know what's the right way to prune it. As far as getting rid of scale without harsh chemicals, you might try posting in the organic gardening forum, getting rid of it on hibiscus is going to be the same as getting rid of it on any other plant and I'm sure someone over there will have some ideas.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #3260671

I was wondering the same thing. I came up Hibiscus Schizopetalus but not sure if that is the correct one.
GuardanGirl
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3263576

hmmm no I dont know the name.
thanks I'll try the other forum

Ty,
GG
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #3264955

Spring is usually when I trim my hibiscus back. How far pretty much depends on how leggy they are. As long as you leave at least 3 nodes on each branch you should be OK. I often root prune at the same time by slicing an inch of soil off the bottom and sometimes the sides of the root ball and replant in fresh soil.

For scale, I would use an ultrafine oil spray. This is just a vegetable oil, no chemicals, and it works by smothering the insects. Always follow the directions on the bottle to the letter.
TStrazi
Orlando, FL

May 5, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7767716

My new growth on my weeping Hibiscus is curling and falling off. I don't see any insects but know that something is wrong. Any suggestions as to what I can do to prevent this?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7773810

I've heard that hibiscus can get an insect that lives inside...and a topical insect control won't work. You have to get a systemic insect control, so it goes through it's "veins" on the inside, and gets the creatures who suck it's juices.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 10, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7780534

Weeping Hibiscus? Maybe Malvaviscus penduliflorus.

Trim off the affected branches and burn them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America