Weeping Hibiscus how to prune?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Its time for a friend of mine to trim back her weeping hibiscus. its very leggy and I'm not sure on how to best prune this tree.
any tips on how to?
how far back should she prune it?
Its about 6 ft tall but very leggy.
sorry dont have a pic
She also has scale, what should she use that has no harsh chemicals. She's admit on not using pesticides.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you know what the Latin name is? I looked up weeping hibiscus in Plant Files and there wasn't anything, maybe if you know the Latin name someone will know what's the right way to prune it. As far as getting rid of scale without harsh chemicals, you might try posting in the organic gardening forum, getting rid of it on hibiscus is going to be the same as getting rid of it on any other plant and I'm sure someone over there will have some ideas.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I was wondering the same thing. I came up Hibiscus Schizopetalus but not sure if that is the correct one.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

hmmm no I dont know the name.
thanks I'll try the other forum

Ty,
GG

(Zone 9a)

Spring is usually when I trim my hibiscus back. How far pretty much depends on how leggy they are. As long as you leave at least 3 nodes on each branch you should be OK. I often root prune at the same time by slicing an inch of soil off the bottom and sometimes the sides of the root ball and replant in fresh soil.

For scale, I would use an ultrafine oil spray. This is just a vegetable oil, no chemicals, and it works by smothering the insects. Always follow the directions on the bottle to the letter.

Orlando, FL

My new growth on my weeping Hibiscus is curling and falling off. I don't see any insects but know that something is wrong. Any suggestions as to what I can do to prevent this?

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I've heard that hibiscus can get an insect that lives inside....and a topical insect control won't work. You have to get a systemic insect control, so it goes through it's "veins" on the inside, and gets the creatures who suck it's juices.

Keaau, HI

Weeping Hibiscus? Maybe Malvaviscus penduliflorus.

Trim off the affected branches and burn them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.