Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: Strawberries are blooming??? Huh?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

March 6, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #3254246

My strawberries that I planted last fall are blooming--the leaves have not grown at all and no new growth is sprouting. This is my first time growing strawberries here--should I be picking off these early blooms? Unfortunately, I do not know the variety--I expect them to bear all at once, presumedly in June. Are they confused or is this normal in zone 7b?
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3254252

They might bloom- but I doubt you'll get berries from them this early on.

Sometimes mine bloom early but no fruits until later.
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

March 6, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3254728

So, if I leave the blooms, does it decrease the amount of blooms/fruit set that I will get? Or should I pull them off...?
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #3254866

Someone smarter than me, help, please!LOL
I wonder if I should be picking them off now
amarettonc
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3255146

I read that you should pick the blooms off first year strawberry plants so the plants will put all its energy into its roots. This way the plants will last longer, about 4-5 years. If you let the first year plants set fruit, they will not last as long, maybe 3 years, but you do get the fruit one year earlier. I planted some strawberry crowns in January and they are just now starting to grow, but they are nowhere near producing a bloom, that I can tell. These are June bearers, I don't know the variety.

That being said, I think you should pick off any blooms that form now. I don't think you will get any mature fruit off blooms that are this early, so might as well let the plant concentrate on growing roots and leaves. I think you will get enough blooms and fruit once the weather warms up.
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

March 8, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #3260312

Well, that was my philosophy, too, since I assumed they needed pollination and there are no pollinators about. Mine were planted last fall, so I'm probably going to let them bear even knowing I shouldn't! Just can't wait...!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3260866

The strawberry farms down here have been open for several weeks. They started bearing 6 weeks early this year.
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

March 8, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3261636

Wow, I'm jealous--I remember getting strawberries in late May in northern California once, but that was the earliest. Seems like everything has "season" confusion this year--we were warm when we should have been cold, and cold later on. No wonder they are blooming...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America