Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: is there any hope for these bubils?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iriswren
De Pere, WI

March 6, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3254752

Hi everyone,

My mom took some bubils from lilies (Lilium lancifolium var. splendens) that have been growing in my grandma's garden for decades. The problem is that my mom collected the bubils three years ago. When they were on the plant they were fat and round but three years on they are really dry and shriveled.

My husband I are buying a house and these are the first things that I want to plant. Is there any hope for these bubils? I would do pretty much anything to get them to grow. My grandpa passed away last year and the house/yard/garden where these are located is up for sale so I'm not sure that I'll be able to get any this year if the house is sells before summer. I know I could buy or possibly trade for these but the ones from my grandma's garden are special for sentimental reasons.

Thanks!
Heidi
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #3256055

I would say the bulblets are toast. Lily bulbs never go dormant and therefore, will not survive long term without some care. I believe this plant sets many bubils along the stem and I would think if you asked the new owners, they wouldn't mind sharing.
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3259399

If someone came to my door and told me that this was Gram's house and those lilies are sentimental, I would absolutely have no problem sharing. Unless the new owners are heartless boogerheads, I don't think that you'd have a problem.
A few years ago I went to my childhood home and asked if I could take a look around and the new owner not only let me past the door, but showed me the whole house, basement and all. I was sobbing at all the sentimental memories. So not only was I a complete stranger that she let into her house, but I was a blubbering wierdo too.
Basicly, what I'm trying to say is that for the most part people are good and won't have a problem with it.
iriswren
De Pere, WI

March 8, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3260922

Thanks everyone! I wasn't holding out much hope for the bubils that we currently have. If the house sells before summer I will introduce myself to the new owners and hopefully they won't mind sharing.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3265863

The new owners might not even care about gardening and let you take them.
Thats what happened when a good friend of mine passed away, her family didn't know if the new owner was into gardening or not, so they took the plants they wanted and asked me if I wanted anything in memory. Sure enough the new owner (it's right next door) has ripped out almost everything that was left, they cut down a mature Juniper tree and also cut down a gorgeous french lilac hedge.
I'm so glad everyone saved what they could. Even if the house is sold in the spring, I would still take a couple bulbs or peices of plants if they're important to you, as long as the new owners haven't moved in, and if they have, just ask, they'll probably be more then willing to share.

Steven
Bluewolf
Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3292152

I agree with MOMO,

unless they are "boogerheads" *snort* thats funny by the way
I say *doodyhead* all the time.

Anyway, I have been kown to see something and walk up nock on the door and say "that is a very beautiful (insert plant flower name/color here) what is it?
Get them in a conversation about it and they usually end up offering to dig me up a start or tell me I can have one.I carry a camping shovel that folds up under the seat of my truck (right next to the duct tape:)

Wolfie
Len_G
New Westminster, BC
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3732079

I've done the same here, but with complete strangers. I've gone for walks around my area, looking at other people's gardens and have usually struck up a conversation with them about their garden. Most people will gladly take a short break and talk about their flowers and what they have, share tips or secrets.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 14, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3735319

Hi Iriswren, hope it aint too late now as we are into july, but my lily bulbs have almost finnished flowering for this year so if I were you I would get a few large pots and dig these lily bulbs up, plenty of soil around them and as soon as you get them to safety from the lily police, pot them up properly with some nice new compost and a little amount of blood,fish and bonemeal added so they can die down naturally in the pot till you are ready to plant them in your own new garden (right at the door where you see them as you enter or leave) these bulb should have formd a few nice large clumps, I dont think the buyers will even notice. next time you want to take bulbils from lily's, put them in soil right away as they dont like to be dried out for any time, I stick them in a pot and they send up greenery the next year, it will take about 2/3/4 years before they reach flowering size, but remember to label them as you will wonder what that bit of grass is doing growing as that is about the shape and size of the new foliage, good luck, your grandma will be so proud of you for wanting to carry on her tradition, happy gardening, WeeNel.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #3737816

Hope you got your lily bulbils!

It's hard to watch the changes that new owners make to their new homes sometimes. We had a neighbor live nextdoor to us for 12 years, they were in their home for 25+ years. They moved after retiring and the new owners came in and cut down a huge gorgeous 30+ year old weeping willow, the trunk was the girth of an SUV tire. It was underplanted completely surrounding the trunk with a 4-5 ft tall hedge of beautiful wisteria. Our view of their front yard included our side hedge row of Rose of Sharon and french lilacs. My mom and I really never warmed up to the new neighbors.

Years later, after my parents passed away and I was living there, I came home one day to find that the kindly widow next door and her SIL and daughter decided to "trim" back my mom's rose bushes on our property. They cut off all of the buds in the process and took the plant back by almost 2/3'ds. We had words that day...not my finest moment but I was sooooo hot!! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America