Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Pulsatilla - wintersow or direct sow?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
picante
Helena, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 7, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3256327

I need some advice from experienced people. I have lots of Pulsatilla vulgaris seeds, and it is a plant that's native to my area. I don't want to sow them indoors. Should I try winter sowing them? Or is it too late in the season? Can I direct sow them this spring (when)? Or would I have better luck direct sowing in fall?
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2007
8:26 AM

Post #3256517

I would say sow now, in pots. I have never found them that easy to germinate - my seeds did come up, but took a double vernalisation. But then our winters are a tad milder than yours.

My suggestion is to use the wintersowing technique (in pots with some sort of covering -I would suggest a coldframe if you have one). Once the temps warm up to about 15 degrees C you should get germination within 1-6 months. With Montana winter weather still holding in there, you may only need one period of cold.

Good luck - they are a wonderful plant, and worth waiting for.
picante
Helena, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 7, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3257817

Thanks, Laurie. As for winter weather, our high yesterday was about 15 C (60 F)! And it's warmer today. It's always been yoyo weather (freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw), but not generally this warm in March. This is more of an April or May temperature. Nonetheless, if I wintersow now, there will be more than one cold spell. We just can't say how long they'll be!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America