Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Agastaches and Salvias: salvias that are shade tolerant

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 9, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 7, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3257672

arizonica
blepharophylla
broussonettii
cacaliifolia
castanea
chamelaeagnea
chiapensis
corrugata
digitaloides
discolor
divinorum
dorisiana
"Freida Dixon"
glutinosa
hirtella
holwayi
involucrata
koyamae
littae
miltiorrhiza
miniata
polystachya
prunelloides
recurv
roemeriana
rypara
sagitta
scutellarioides
shannoni
sinaloensis
splendens
"Van Houttei"
sprucei
wagneriana
edited to add...quoted from Betsy Clebsch

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 10:04 AM
Laurie1
Burwash Weald
United Kingdom
(Zone 9b)

March 8, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3260963

How much shade are we talking about - dappled or deep shade, and at what zone?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3261460

I don't know if there are any salvias that will bloom well if they're in really deep shade, the ones on this list will tolerate some shade, but since they're shade-tolerant not shade-loving, I think if you have them in really deep shade they won't be happy (I have several plants from the above list growing in full sun and they're perfectly happy--can't imagine them enjoying anything more than partial shade). As far as zones, I think you'll have to look each one up individually, I'm sure some of these are hardier than others. But for you in 9b most salvias are going to be fine at least from the standpoint of winter cold
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3262514

I did have S.cacaliifolia. It was happy with 1-3 hours of fairly direct sun, but several hours more of bright reflected light... it was in a north-south 10' (3 meter) "aisle" between two houses. However, most of what is planted in that "aisle" are plants normally associated with sun...

It is (or was in that situation) a mounding-sprawler, and eventually we got tired of whacking it back with the machete...

I think I gave several pieces of it away at last year's SoCal RU -- don't know how any of it did after that, though.

~'spin!~
The pic is shortly after the plant(s) had been chopped to about 18" -- which we did at least 3 times a year for several years -- in between it would drape its way to the top of that 5' fence.

Thumbnail by crystalspin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 9, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3262615

'spin, That's good to know. Our sun has gotten so brutal anymore that I'm moving more and more plants into partial shade and I wondered if cacaliifolia would even take that much direct sun. I'll have to rethink it's positioning.
Sherrry
teacup754
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #3263908

Many plants that say full sun in the rest of the country do better in partial shade here in texas. The summer is so brutal here with the unrelenting heat. I think the main cause is that often it doesn't get below 80 until midnight or later. The plants never get a chance to rest, they are always under stress..That's one reason I'm planting more and more Salvias. Another is we have rabbits that visit and they apparently do not care for the taste of Salvias.
Salvia Greggii is one that seems to do well wherever I put it. But I'm having fun finding and trying others.I tried an Agastache last year but the leaves looked washed out. I'm waiting to see if it returns this spring.nancy
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3274063

teacup, 'Indigo Spires' does beautifully down here with great fragrance...they are happiest with morning sun and no afternoon sun..or dappled shade during the day...they reliably come back from the roots early...mine are about 12" tall right now...
annette68
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 10a)

March 12, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #3274315

I have Salvia Indigo Spires in full sun and it copes well here, I am in the tropics and we have a very hot sun also.

1 for Dappled Shade is Salvia Praeclara.
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 12, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3274526

Indigo Spires full sun here also.
mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3275565

I routinely plant "Dwarf Red Salvia" along my north facing front porch to accent the red front door of the house, That area never receives direct sun, but the plants don't seem to mind, they flourish even. Sorry I don't know the latin name. I usually buy them from the local mega-mart, as I need four flats to fill the area, and my growspace is reserved for peppers and tomatoes.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America