Post #3257918

New thread!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #3258817

GG, it is a bromeliad, should be hardy for you.

3 hours old photo...

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #3259358

Dale, That's nasturtium, Isn't it?

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 10:35 PM
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #3259371

This is the hardiest Geranium I've ever seen. This is November in Southern Ontario, Canada and that is snow on the leaves. It was still ok after the snow melted.

Thumbnail by momo125

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 11, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3269047

Momo, nasturtium - yes, cold hardy pelargonium-wow.

Florida flowers-planted in Oct 2006 will be gone by June 2007, your summer annuals are my winter annuals. Westside pool flowes at Lisa's

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 11, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3269051

East side pool flowers.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 11, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3269057

1st clivia of the year 2007, not an annual, sorry.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3276445

Wow Dale: That photo "Westside pool flowers at Lisa's is Gorgeous enought to be framed!

Aaah ... and that Clivia ... I have had one of those on my Wish List for soooo long. Someday I am gonna have one of those plants! That one survives in the ground year round? I guess y'all are a lot warmer over that way then we are here on the East Coast!

Lin
Aarianne
Kleinburg, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3333510

I'm a novice gardener and was very happy with my China Asters (Powderpuff Mix) and Four O'Clocks (Marvel of Peru) last year. They were from cheap seeds from Canadian Tire, yet both flourished with little care in my full sun garden, just north of Toronto. Even some asters that I transplanted outside ridiculously late were some of my showiest. Both bloomed profusely until frost and the Four O'Clocks had wonderfully thick foliage too. I will be growing them again this year and would definitely recommend them to beginners anywhere near me.
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #3342252

I have worked for five years to make my flower beds as much perennial as possible. BUT, I love purple petunias and red geraniums so I plant those every year and just got my petunias for this year in the ground yesterday. Haven't gotten the geraniums yet. The big stores just have them in big arrangements at big prices and that is not what I want. I do have two little babies that survived inside this winter and have them out now hardening up. Both the petunias and geraniums are memories from my childhood.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2007
6:20 AM

Post #3342317

I wish we could grow more perennials here in the near tropics. Most of the plants that come back every year are weedy giants like ruellia, lantana. We have a few plants that behave themselves, daylily, pelargoniums, agapanthus, but, most plants are annual.

Here is one bed-I love the look and all the plants are summer annuals. We have no winter chill.

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2007
8:25 AM

Post #3342527

Dale--I just came back from a trip to my son's home in Hudson (about 30 miles north of Tampa) and while I was there I helped my 14-yr old step-grandson start a garden. I had searched for plants that would do well in heat and humidity, and hot sun since they have very little shade in their yard, and we started him a bunch of seed flats. I had to leave before very many were showing signs of life. He mostly started veggies, but we got some flowers thrown in--and nothing perennial except some windflower bulbs. I have no idea if they will make it there, but I had purchased a large bunch of them and shared. I have most of the same growing conditions here except that we do have winter--well, not much this year.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2007
9:01 AM

Post #3342645

I moved across country (southeastern NM to central NC) and managed to stary in the same zone. The plants that will grow for me here is vastly different than what I could grow in NM. I guess that has to do with moisture and actual winter vs. the dry, higher altitudes and virtually no winter to speak of in NM.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3360294

Thought these were annuals, but since I just discovered them reappearing today, and they're acting like perennials with very little assistance from me, they're now a "favorite annual". :)
Red wax begonia.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America