Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soap and Candle-making: Salt rock potpourri

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 7, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
telenashay
Bartow, FL

March 8, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3259707

I am new to this type of craft. Saw it twice at a craft show and would like to make it. Any help

you can give would be great, where to buy the rock/crystal, scents,packaging, how to dye

and add scents How do you know how much color and scents to add. One I saw at the

show was dryer in the plastic bag than the other which looked wet.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3300242

Are you talking about the smelly jelly made with water crystals?
telenashay
Bartow, FL

April 2, 2007
9:10 AM

Post #3346310

I'm looking for potpourri made from salt rocks chunks.
renwings
Sultan, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3351320

Well I can picture that. I imagine you would use the largest rock crystals you could find and make it like bath salt, except add more fragrance.

I might be nice to try it in a warmer set up (you know, the kind with the tealight candle that melts the wax or warms the liquid . . .).
renwings
Sultan, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3351324

Woops! Found a recipe!

"SALT POTPOURRI
RIO™ Sea Salt Crystals - Jumbo
Colorant
Essential Oils or Fragrance Oils

Making Salt Crystal Potpourri is a simple process. The trickiest part is the coloring of the crystals. You have 3 choices for colorings: Liquid Based, Glycerin Based or Mica Powders. The liquid based colorings will dry the best, glycerin will be a nice translucent coloring and Mica gives you opalescent options. You can also simply rinse the crystals for a "glass like" look (see Rio Salt Page).

Add Fragrance and Color. Crystals out on Parchment to dry. If you’re using liquid or glycerin colorants, an easy way to color the crystals is by wearing rubber gloves and rubbing the color on the crystals. Mica’s you will have to sprinkle than mist with your fragrance."
mandyt
Plainview, TX

June 5, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3576444

Which has a stronger scent the smelly jelly or the salt rock crystal and where do you purchase the salt rock crystal
bsuemnicht
Sheboygan, WI

August 10, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3842333

Has anyone found a place to get the salt rock chunks? I do have the recipe, can't find the rocks. Thanks, Bonnie
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 11, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #3842420

I purchased some from RIO SALTWORKS. I think soapcrafters has it too. The Rio was realy nice and a total of about 20 bucks for 5 pounds. Did you know that when you heat the crystals, the ionization thing happens and it freshens the air without even scenting it. I put it in a bowl with tiny white christmas lights. It's beautiful. I even added a tiny dusting of iridescent glitter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America