Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Is Darkness Necessary?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 10, Views: 210
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2007
6:22 AM

Post #3259965

Even as I typed that it sounded absurd, but maybe the darkness has a purpose too. Last year I started all my seedlings under a shop light with great success, but I never turned it off. Ever. I keep seeing people recommend X amount of hours with the light on and X amount of hours with it turned off. Is there an actual reason for turning the light off or are they simply just stating what the minimum requirements are? As I said, mine have done beautifully so far with light 24/7 (knock on wood), but could they be doing even better?

Thanks all...What a delight this forum is!
La
prosodygardener
Columbus, OH

March 8, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #3260625

The ideal number of hours for light ranges between 12-16, so they say, with an 8 hour period of rest or dormancy. I agree with you that sometimes 24/7 doesn't hurt. I've left mine on by accident over night and found they were fine the next morning - a bit dry, but fine. In all honesty, I think it IS probably best to try and imitate the normal day/night cycle just so your seedlings get acclimated to "the real world" asap. Hope this helps. Howard.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3260627

I always turn mine off at night, never tried doing it any other way so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I have mine set up on an automatic timer so I don't have to worry about remembering to turn the lights on or off.
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3260897

La, I'm doing my seeds and seedlings 16/8, but I know people that do 24 with great success. I'm thinking costs. I have 12 shop lights going on my seeds and seedlings. Jim
DigsGardening
Byron, GA

March 9, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3262776

I leave mine on 24/7, also. However, our winters are milder and shorter so the seedlings don't stay under the lights very long. As soon as they can be transplanted, I move them outside with protection where they get what sunlight is available leaving space to start more seeds under lights. I guess leaving the lights on 24/7 is like Alaskan conditions in the summer. I'm sure that long term exposure would affect the plant's metabolism and flowering cycle.

Digs
taramark

(Zone 4a)

March 9, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3263221

Two different subjects here: 1. Darkness for seed germination;

2. Seedling light requirements.

Some seeds require darkness for germination. These containers/baggies should be kept
in a dark cupboard, etc., until germination. The temperature for germination should be
considered, too.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2007
5:48 AM

Post #3263352

Thanks for all the imput. I do start my seed according to it's light requirements, but it was the seedlings themselves I was wondering about. Maybe I'll experiment a little and try turning the light off at night (if I can remember, LOL). I only have 3 lights going so I doubt it makes that much difference in electricity, but I'm always up for trying something different.

La
DigsGardening
Byron, GA

March 9, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #3264102

I start my tomato and peppers in the dark until I see the first sprout coming through the soil. Then they get the light treatment. I put them as close as I can to the light. Thanks taramark for the gentle reminder to clarify.
Digs
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2007
12:17 PM

Post #3270113

There is a purpose for the darkness with seedlings. They put on a different type of growth in the dark than they do in the light. There's a name for it, but I forget what it is. Not many plants enjoy 24/7 light. If you alternate between dark and light, you will see sturdier growth.
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3274944

The whole purpose for certain amount of light hours and a certain amount of darkness is so the plants can set buds. When the plants are young seedlings, you don't have to worry about that. Once they devlope their true leaves, you must give them the right amount of daylight and the correct amount of darkness. Not all plants require 16 of hours of light. Some require shorter days. Keeping that in mind, you might end up with nothing but foliage with 24 hours of light during the whole plant life growing period.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #3275705

Wow, who'da thought? Well I suppose a lot of you'da thought, LOL. But for this rookie this has been an eye-opener. I'm sure glad I posted this question as I'm sure it has been a big help to many of us newbies. Thanks a million!
La

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America