Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bthyme
Buena Vista, VA

March 8, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #3260322

For years I used a 5HP front-tine rototiller to till a huge garden (and loved it). Then came years when I had no vegetable garden, and I got older too. When I retired and moved here I bought a 6.5HP rear tine Poulan tiller--always wanted a rear-tine tiller--but found it was way too big for me to maneuver. About 1/4 mile turning radius. So I sold it yesterday and need to buy a new tiller. Can't afford to make another mistake, so I need some advice.

Considerations: front-tine or rear tine? counter-rotating tines or standard rotating tines? large enough to till an area 40x60 at least and able to incorporate organic matter without clogging up every few minutes? maneuverable? I'm not young any more. Don't have many rocks to contend with.

Two tillers that I am considering are the Troy Bilt Bronco (small, counter-rotating rear tine) and a front-tine standard rotating Poulan.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3269093

I just used a mantis today. Borrowed it from a guy down the street and I was impressed. I have pretty sandy soil so I don't know if it will work for you. I made about a 20X40 garden in a half hour. I pulled it backwards which did take a little effort but it was easy to put where ever I wanted it and after 3 passes everything was all tilled up. Forgot to say there wasn't a bed where I tilled, just dead grass. I was impressed that it really didn't have a problem going into a lawn and tilling it up. First pass broke up the top, second got it down to 3-4 inches and the third finished it off. I hit a couple of pine roots which slowed the mantis down but I really thought it worked better than I thought it would.

My 2 cents.
bthyme
Buena Vista, VA

March 11, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3270231

Thanks. I had only thought of that type of tiller as a cultivator. Amazed that you could use it to till dead sod, though I guess the sand helps.
ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

March 13, 2007
5:45 PM

Post #3277235

I have a Mantis tiller. It is one of the best things I've ever bought for gardening. I use it all the time.

I also bought all the attachments, but I never use them.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3278952

The other thing was it was easy to clean up. Just pull the cotter pins and off come the tines. A lot easier than any big tiller I've used.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #3279118

I don't how old you are, but I am 63 & still do all the tilling here with a TroyBuilt horse model with 8HP. I bought it maybe18 years ago. It has had a band-aid here & there, but has been pretty good. It is still "run it with one finger" tiller. Here is an old thread about it.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426150/
We have a huge garden, 5 acres. We don't do any major tillage with it anymore, we have tractors for that. We use it at planting to make seedbeds. After the soil is worked with tractor machinery, we make a pass with the tiller where the row will be. You can then put in plants up to 8" deep with no effort, just kind of poke a hole in with your fingers. We also have an Earthway seeder. It plants really nice in that seedbed.
I also use it for cultivating between rows. Our rows are 38" apart, go down & back & weeds cease to exist. I always go with the row on the right side of the tiller. I can get super close that way.
This tiller is completely self-propelled, so all you do is steer.
You also mentioned turning. This tiller turns on a dime. You can come out of a row & go right back on the same row.
Granted you need some extra room on the end of the rows.
Bernie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America