Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

My son's room has faux wood planks grooved from plywood

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is the plywood subfloor. We took a router and screwed down a guide board and carved lines into the floor to give the effect of faux wood plank flooring. The router could not go all the way to the edge so we used a dremel with a V bit. We got a quote for hardwoods throughout and we just couldn't swing the entire house, so I got creative. I had not seen this done.. My inspiration came from seeing a bachelor pad that Nate Burkus did on Oprah. The entire floor was a beautiful solid high poly red and even though I have no idea how he did it, I starting thinking of what I could do to the plywood to make it look great.. I love the wood plank look.. so this was born. This room does not have the quarter round at the base yet, but I do have that in my other rooms where this has been done and it certainly gives a more finished look.

My husband was highly sceptical at first and now he's just so glad he married me. We had to at least try one room to see.. and even before it was painted.. I knew it was a great idea.
:)
Susan

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Pictures of how we did this in my younger sons race car room..

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

In a corner

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

My Lovely Hubby.

this is very messy work. The vents must be covered and put a towel under the door to keep the sawdust in the room and not throughout your home.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

When we started on this wall side, he just laid the board up on it's side as a guide..Otherwise the board was laid down and screwed down to hold it in place as he went across the floor.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

He knew how wide he wanted to have his varying boards widths. He knew how wide it was from the edge of the router to the place where it cut and he knew where he had to screw down the guide board to make his cuts so that the widths would be right.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

He had already cut the other side of the room when he decided to make an easier cut in front of the wall and work his way back to meet the other "boards".

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Here you can see how he ordinarily cut the boards.. Board screwed down in place to guide and then filled with wood putty before painting. Also, the cross cuts were marked randomly with a pencil mark first and then cut. At first we did fill in the plywood seams with putty.. but when we got to the second and third room, we realized it really wasn't that noticeable and the wood putty starts to crumble after so long.. so it's inadvisable to goop it up on the floor to even out the seams. Let them ride. Also, we did a light machine sanding of the entire floor.

Remember, if you do this you only want grooves. If you cut too deep you will mess with the integrity of your sub-floor, which is holding up your house.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

My lovely family :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

A brief dark glimpse of the lovely 5' cherry hardwoods we did install throughout the main areas of the home- Living, master, dining, and halls. We had transition pieces installed into the boys bedrooms.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I purposely put their beds on the floor so that they don't have that far to fall when they play.... and when I was a kid, I was scared of the monster under the bed :(

Unfortunately, my son has one on the side now instead.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 10:50 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

The rest of the room.. now that we're here and all :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Target.. Love that place :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I LOVE THIS ROOM MOMMY!!!!!!

Spacey round thingy on right, Aliens on wall- IKEA

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Spacey pictures and light switch- Ebay
I painted the background the bright color to match the room and the frames were Wal-mart Clearance.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

This lovely piece of furniture was my husbands growing up in this home, which was his childhood home. We painted it Silver.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

This was a match set, but I painted it to match the ceiling... yep, that's right.. haven't even seen that yet!! :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Spacey Bookends

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Personalized EBay art. :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Rug from Home Depot Clearance, Curtains IKEA, Space bedspread EBay,
Chair was used by Grandmother and my husband as children and I had it recovered before the room was done.. so it doesn't quite match, but who cares?

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Rocket Hamper- EBay.. The dots glow in the dark.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 11:25 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

And the last wall.. the ceiling! My inspiration for the entire room was this light fixture. We purchased it when a local lighting store was going out of business. Our son was still in a very undecorated baby room and when I asked him if he wanted a space room he wasn't too sure.. he does love it now :)

I had to paint this ceiling no less than 10 times.. I'm not a perfectionist, but I wanted a deep solid color with no streaks and it drove me nuts that it was still streaked time after time. As a result, I have certainly learned lots about paint and coverage and know which to buy now.

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

The stars glow in the dark and were purchased on Amazon. They are plastic and we applied them with silcone. They are spaced evenly too.. the picture spacing is just an illusion. It's lots of fun to stare up at the sky at bedtime when we are talking about the day.
Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thats all folks!!

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Susan, or should I say Supermom, that is really a good job. What a nice family.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jim :) I do the best I can.. It's not always super!!

Susan

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Awesome job! Those bright colors are wonderful. Love the spacey theme. I bet those boys do too! I didn't notice a telescope. My Dad bought us a telescope on the clearance aisle at Target. He got it for next to nothing. We enjoyed it a lot. Hard to use in the city though with all of the lights.

Janet

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a wonderful room for the boys!! Great job too. I would replace the rocker with a bright colored bean bag though, boys are tuff on furniture! Plus it would mirror the cute little alien guys on the wall! Great floor idea also.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you!! I really wanted to give them each a great room. :) This space room is my older sons and my younger sons is still a work in progress. His will have a race track going around the room with hot wheels cars glued to the track racing each other. Finding things that work to go in these rooms takes time!!

Yes, a telescope would probably get knocked over! We are a skip and a hop away from Atlanta and unfortunately, the brightest stars we see here are on the ceiling.

I have thought about a bean bag for that space.. much more "space" themed.. but the chair just wouldn't go in my other sons room either.. I guess I could put it in their play room.. the truth is.. they don't ever sit in it..so it doesn't get damaged in any way. It really is a piece that we use due to it having been passed down.. and then I spent the money to have it recovered. I'm really good (now) about letting things go that don't work in the house and are not loved, wanted or needed, but that chair is loved. :)

Truth be told.. I have spent much more effort in my sons rooms than my own, which still has (except for one love seat) the furniture that came with the house when we bought it from my in-laws 10 years ago... I'm working on it though. We just put in french doors so that we can get nice larger pieces that fit.. the halls were cut to narrow to turn large pieces in there, so I wanted french doors, and I have them now :) we've been in this home for 10 years, and it's great to finally be able to make some great changes. We will be changing the outside to accommodate the new doors. I've just worked on my kids rooms first since they will only be young kids for so long. The floors in this picture are new. I had ripped out the 20 year old carpet and I lived on plywood for an embarrassing amount of time before I finally put my foot down and got these!
Susan

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

WOW!! That is one cool room. It looks like it belongs on the pages of a home decoration publication. I like how you incorporated their dad's old furniture in the room. You have two very lucky boys--from their faces, it looks like they know it!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the idea for the second room, please post pictures when you start.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Stephanie!! How sweet! :)

Shelia, oh dear... don't start having expectations from me too!! I'm constantly hearing "when are we going to put the cars on the wall mommy?".. From my youngest.. he wants his room too!

I have completed a guest bedroom and my office where I currently sit.. They both are upstairs and have the faux plank and are painted white. I can show them soon, even if the finishing touches are not quite there.. or I could just hurry up and put the stuff I have on the walls already... We'll see.

Susan

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

So much to do, so little time...LOL!

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan,
In the room with the french doors, is that the plywood faux hardwood floor too? I would really love to see more pics of how that floor turned out.
I have 3 boys, a new house adn too little money to go around. I have been drooling over hardwood floors but they cost too much and my monsters can ruin stuff at record speeds. They ruined brand new carpet in 5-6 months. Plywood, if it looks good, would be such a great and cheap alternative for me and I wouldn't be so upset if they ruined that.
Please show me more! I'm desperate.
Olivia

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Olivia.. Nope :(, those are 5 inch cherry hardwoods in the master where the french doors are. Gee.. if I could get plywood to look like that, I'd be in business! A friend suggested staining the plywood after we had put the grooves and cross cuts as well as sanding... but we just didn't thing it would look as good as the paint. There were too many nails that wouldn't have lined up right.. and putty and such... so we went with the paint. However, I did have many friends that didn't realize it was plywood even before the paint. They just thought they were looking and wide plank unfinished flooring, so someone might be able to pull it off. Also, realize that this is not plywood we went out and purchased.. This is the sub-floor of our home.. the plywood that was put down when the home was built. It's the sub-floor.

I will get the other rooms on my camera and post the floors in there so you can see more... it may take me some time, but I will do it.

Susan

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 12:41 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

GREAT JOB! This is way beyond fun.

Where did you learn of the subfloor/router technique? I like it!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I came up with it in my head! At first I was going to try to imitate a solid painted and high poly floor I had seen Nate Burkus do on Oprah.. then I started brainstorming and realized that the plywood certainly was never going to look like a solid high poly floor like the one I'd seen for all the imperfections...I've always loved the country wood plank look... Then I figured I could groove the plywood to do this. I then googled it and saw very limited information on it, which is why I really wanted to share the technique :) There were no pictures as complete as these, so here they are :) My husband thought It was a crazy idea when I first shared the idea with him, so now someone out there can show pictures first!!
Susan

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

BRILLIANT!!! LOVE the cherry floors thoughout...I prefer dark woods myself. And your sons room is incredible. What an awesome idea to router the floor to LOOK like wood flooring!!! Pretty smart!!!! You were great on that star ceiling to. Which paint gave you the terrible coverage? I've seen Behr paints and boy do they look watery! Some people swear by them but I just buy the store brand and have no complaints here.

The mattresses on the floor....ANOTHER great idea. Contact Rachel Ray she'll have you on her show as a guest decorating expert. =)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Gee, what a great ego boost this thread is for me!! I'm feeling rather brilliant at this moment. Thanks for the compliments. I will have to refer back to this when I have the inevitable moment of sheer stupidity!!

I wasn't going to say... But IT WAS Behr paint!! I have friends that work for HD, and I shop there all the time.. I just can't say I like their paint. I wanted to pull my hair out and my husband.. being the typical guy he is wanted to just put up the stars already.. but I just couldn't do it. I HAD to make it solid and kept painting and painting and painting with the Behr. Crazy thing is that they are very highly rated in Consumer Reports and my favorite paint, Sherwin Williams Super Paint is far behind them in the Consumer report ratings.. I have never doubted Consumer Reports for an instant, except for their paint ratings. They just are not right.. Behr just drips like crazy and the coverage isn't good for me.... I know, gallons worth!! We really like Porter paints relatively new exterior permanizer paint which really and truly is a one coat exterior paint. We just painted the exterior and we used that and we both love it. Porter, Sherwin Williams and... can't remember right now are all owned by the same parent company which is interesting that they keep their brands distinguished and of course folks have their favorites.

I love Rachel Ray!!

My Sister In law suggested that they put the mattress on the floor for their daughter who is 4 and in the toddler bed.. My sassy brother in law asked her why don't we just get her a sleeping bag on the floor and that will solve the falling danger altogether? hmmph!! Well.. we like it and so do our kids. They just don't have that far to fall and fall they do.

Just wanted to add.. I have a matching fitted sheet over the box spring under the mattress to keep it covered and it gives it a cleaner look. For a while I tried to use bed skirts and tucked them tightly under the box spring to the floor with of all things.. a spatula!! :) Then I just got the fitted sheets and much better!

Susan

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 8:56 PM

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

ahhhh such a smart lady! and i've not even talked to you before! i missed out!!! i will have to talk with you more in decorating my next place!!! are you just as good at landscaping?!

i used to not like rachel ray but i DO like her daytime tv show it's more about lots of stuff besides just her and her recipes. which are okay sometimes. but i do learn a lot on her show. and love the viewer guests.

LOL it WAS behr. ha. yep i've seen it's terrible coverage on other homes. i buy my paint from lowe's. their generic is cheaper than HD and they will mix ANY color chip. HD says about the name brand colors (like ralph lauren...since when does he make paint? lol) they will only mix in the name brand paints.

i've not used sherwins but my mom likes them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.