Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Evon
South Bend, IN

March 9, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3264732

I am a beginner at gardening. I am trying to make a layout using the companion planting of:

tomotes, potatoes, zucchini, cumcumbers, peppers, lettuce, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, onions, radish, strawberries and cranberries. My garden is 15 X 30

Does anybody have any suggestions or layout info I could use?

Thank you,

Evon
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2007
4:56 AM

Post #3266836

Evon, except for the cranberries, I believe you could easily do the block method that Terry mentions here... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/695535/ ...lots of good advice in that thread!

I'll defer to someone else to give advice on growing cranberries too. ;-)
prettyhortgirl
Somerville, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2007
7:16 PM

Post #3277513

I like to do my strawberries in hanging planters, saves on room! :)
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3277654

The strawberries are going to put out runners and just keep expanding their area. I would plant them out of the vegetable garden. We ripped up our strawberry patch a few years ago because the grass had grown into it and it was so hard to keep up. The only way was to crawl around on my hands and knees pulling up all the grass. We are going to build a tiered bed and put just strawberries in it. The grass won't be able to take it over if it's up off the ground.

I don't know anything about cranberries either.

The rest of the things you have listed will easily fit in a 15 x 30 plot, depending on how much of each you want to grow.

Since this is your first year, one thing I would suggest is keeping a map each year of where things are planted and rotate the crops so the same crop isn't planted in the same place two years in a row. It's even better to not plant the same crop in the same area for 3-4 years. This will help control any diseases that may occur.

When I first started veggie gardening, I discovered I was a creature of habit, with a good memory. Each spring, I'd be out in the garden with my seeds and bedding plants thinking, okay, the tomatoes go here, the onions go here, the beets go here...etc. Always planted in the same place every year. That was a big mistake, and I've since learned the importance of crop rotation the hard way. Now I have a chart that I make up for several years in advance. It has the row numbers along the top, the years down the side, and I move each crop one square to the right each year. That way, if I have a garden with 12 rows or squares, the same crop doesn't get planted in the same place but only every 12 years.

I probably have you really confused now. If I did, I'll do my best to make what I was trying to say more clear.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3277855

As a beginner myself, thanks for all the advice 'old timers'...hee hee.
But I don't think that's quite what Evon meant...and correct me if I am wrong Evon.
I am trying to map out my layout as well and having some difficulty. What I need, is an example of WHERE to put each veggie. Like tomatoes down the first row, then eggplant and peepers next, then peas, then herbs, then lettuce, then cucumbers...and this would be going from NW to SE.
Are there no "designs of veggie gardens" out there somewhere?
Is this what you mean, Evon?
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #3287321

I think placement is mostly an issue of available sunlight (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!), and that as long as the taller plants (e.g. corn, trellised peas, caged tomatoes) are to the north of shorter plants, with enough space to grow and receive ample sunlight, you should be okay. :-)
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3294239

Evon,

Here is a chart that you might find helpful ... http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/vcomp.asp ...

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2007
11:34 AM

Post #3297726

Evon,

Here's another way you could look at planting the veggies ... http://www.thegardenhelper.com/vegtips.html

Hope some of this helps!!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America