Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: calla lily

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3266532

As always in october I stored my calla lilies for the winter it is now only the first week in march and warmer temperatures are still two months away and my callas have growth of about four to five inches in white no color should I plant them inside or just leave them and plant them as usual in two months and is this going to affect the plant and the flowers.??????

Thumbnail by scicciarella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3267416

Can you pot them up in something so that they can continue to grow? That's what I'd do. I don't do callas, but I do caladiums and as soon as they start showing growth, I put them in pots and keep them inside till the weather moderates.

My caladiums go in big pots where they stay all summer, but you can plant your callas individual ones if you intend on transplanting to other areas of the garden.

If they don't get planted in something soon, I fear that it will stress your plants and they may not bloom for you.
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3267930

I would definitely plant them. That way, you will give them a head start. When you plant them outlide, you will already have leaves and roots, and they will flower sooner. Just be sure to put them in a south or west facing window for the light.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America