CLOSED: Is this?

Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Is this a painted bunting?

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Marlton, NJ

Yes it is. Congrats!!!

Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I had to take the picture through a window. It has been coming around for a while but just haven't been able to get a picture.

Marlton, NJ

The female is all green. Here's more info on them.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Painted_Bunting.html

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 8:58 AM

Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

I think this is of the female bunting.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Marlton, NJ

Thats her. :-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

What a purdy birdy!!

I googled the painted bunting to see if we get any in Ohio (and, btw, I didn't get an answer) but I did read this quotation from a researcher which gave me pause for concern:

"Since 1966, the species [painted bunting] has declined at an annual rate of three percent nationwide, according to nesting-bird census data compiled by the U.S. Geological Survey. 'That's pretty staggering when you figure that translates into a 50-percent decline in less than 20 years,' "

Marlton, NJ

Yes I read that but I can't remember why they said their declining.

Melbourne, FL

A shot I got today of my male PB.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

And the female PB.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Newkirk, OK

They tell me the Painted Bunting is declining in the wild due to increase in caged bird demand. Last year we had one pair all summer; this year we have 6 pairs. So maybe we're doing something right here.

We also have about 11 pairs of Indigo Buntings this year, up from 2 last year.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

gardenpom,

how in the world did you get that pic. Great shot.

Hack

Melbourne, FL

I'm not sure which pic you are referring to, but thanks. I have been getting Painted and Indigo Buntings in my backyard every winter for several years now. I refer to my backyard as a "jungle", which is the kind of landscaping the Buntings seem to like. This is the best shot I have gotten of a Painted Bunting.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Your last pic is absolutely stunning.

Maybe one will drop by here on its way south.

I was referring to the two pics right above robertlob's post. You got them in March of '07.

Melbourne, FL

Those shots are pretty typical, since they rarely leave the safety of shrubs or the feeders. Your best bet will be late August, when they are heading South. A feeder with millet seed is their favorite. Good luck!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I got to get some millet seed.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2009 12:59 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those PB are so colorful! Millet seeds I'll have to have some because August is just right around the corner. Thanks all for sharing the pic. Congrats Marilyn_FL on your birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images