Photo by Melody

Daturas: Time to transplant into individual pots!

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 16, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #3270691

My dat seedlings all have true leaves on them now .. time to transplant!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3271498

Whew! I've been at it since noon! transplanting not only datura seedlings but other plants as well. I'm whooped!

I'll give these transplanted dats a shot of food in about a week. That should be enough time for the roots to settle in. They should be ready for their permanent home by the middle of May.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3276448

what kind are they
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3276523

They are Gordon's double whites with the yellow picotee edge. They are F-2 so anything goes with this batch. I hope a few look like the parent plant. I am planning to put them out front for this years neighborhood datura show. Some others are ones I'm growing to get fresh seeds.

X

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #3297956

X,

I have a question. What is the main difference between the double purple and white Dature metel and the Black Currant Swirl? They look so similar on pictures.
I have the Metel and this year, for the first time, I am trying to grow some double (triple?) yellow one from seed someone sent me. I hope I get some seedlings. I soaked the seeds overnight and could actually see tiny little germination "thingie" the next morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks, Gita
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3298040

Hi,

They look the same to me too.

I don't think there is a true black currant swirl anymore because they do not seem to breed true from seed. The picture on the bottom shows the different types of blooms I got from a batch of seeds called black currant swirl. The picture on the top is the best example of the original black currant swirl. It also came from the same batch of seeds.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3298102

Seems a bit more blue than on my double purple/white one.
I think I like mine better. Here's a picture.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #3298107

This is my favorite picture of all...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3298212

Gotta love those tendrils!

X
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #3304176

X, do you have any full view photos of any of your datura plants? I have some seedlings that I want to plant now. Just trying to figure out what a mature datura's height and width is to know where to plant it. I have datura metel.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2007
10:16 AM

Post #3304828

With apologies to "X" I took a picture of my Datura last year just to show the size they grow. This was from seed in the Spring and is of my Double purple/white D.Metel.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3305175

My Picotee dats are getting bigger and bigger everyday! The kind of need to slow down because I won't be ready to plant them in their final home until the end of April!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3305204

Cordeledawg I always plant my dats in large containers. I do that so I can use sevin dust on them with a clear conscience. Sevin is the best insecticide I've seen so far for dats which start to look pretty ratty only after a few weeks in the ground. Insects seem to love them. You should not use Sevin on plants in the ground because it is very earthworm unfriendly. They can get to 8+ feet tall in the containers. I usually plant 4 plants per container.

Rather than use up all of my expensive ProMixBX filling a container, I fill them 3/4 of the way up with partially composted grass clippings then put the ProMixBx in. They turn into monsters!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3305259

Anne, that helps me so much! I'll do the same. Thank you Thank you! I actually have BTS host plants in the same bed and would surely want to keep sevin away. I'll pot them up in a self watering pot and just sit it in the bed. Taking it out to doctor it when needed.

Gitagal, I didn't realize they grew that fast. Wow!

Deborah
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #3305268

These are the size of the containers I use.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #3305364

Deborah - Here is a must see PlantFile picture in regard to size http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/5889/ and it also depends upon which variety you are growing. The white one (Hindu Datura, Indian Apple, Jimson Weed, Sacred Datura, Thorn Apple
Datura inoxia) in the picture grows biggest for me. Also they grow bigger in the ground than in a pot.

Judy

Link to this Datura - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/355/index.html
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2007
12:50 PM

Post #3305447

Thanks, Judy.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America