Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Help with Autumn Joy in Zone 5a

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 18, Views: 273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 11, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3270696

I did not cut back my Autumn Joy plants after they bloomed in the fall. When is the right time to prune them, and, how far back should I cut? I also realized that the plants had wide gaps in the middle, and have read that that means I should divide the plant. I've NEVER done anything like that before. I would appreciate any advice you can give me on this plant, as it added so much color to my yard last fall and I want to make sure it continues to thrive.
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

March 11, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3271058

lAll, the way down to the soil after the flowers have dried. About Oct ? They will come back with a vegence. The love the cold weather. The grow more or less like Chrysanthemum Norma
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

March 12, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3271772

I don't cut my Autumn Joy (Sedum) back until the new growth begins to show in the spring. The spent flowers turn a bronze color and add color and interest to the winter garden.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2007 8:05 PM
LarissaH
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #3273745

I'm like kyjoy, I didn't do anything to them until the new growth in the spring and by then it was so brittle it had "cleaned" most of it's branches by itself and I only had to do a little pulling by hand.
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

March 13, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #3276019

Thank you! Anyone with advice on how to divide them?
LarissaH
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3277895

atcmadchen,

You just pull 'em apart and stick them in the ground. They root VERY easily. Trust me, you can't kill 'em. :)
barryz
Tukums
Latvia
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #3285081

They are so easy to divide, do not worry at all. My geese loved to rip apart the spring shoots and I just pushed them back in soil (without roots, like cut flowers) and they ALL started to grow so in a season my sedum plants tripled. I also found some Sedum in the bouquet that I was given and I pushed the cut flowers in bed outside (without any special teatment) and quess - it is growing too! Sedum is very great plant to survive everything, indeed!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2007
9:44 AM

Post #3287380

agree, you can't kill them. Sounds like they will be big tough clumps, so just dig the whole thing up, and hack it apart with tools if you have to, and plant the best looking pieces from the edges.
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

March 21, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3306522

I like to leave the dried flowers through winter adds some interest to the garden in the snowy months. Then I cut them way down close to the ground. You'll see the new starts coming up.
They are the easiest plant to move, cant believe how hardy. I left one outside in hot sun forgot to transplant it, it sat there for 2 days and didn't even wither. I do like how they change color, beautiful in the fall.
evesta
Kearney, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #3309522

I leave mine up over winter too. I actually just cut mine back over the past weekend and noticed yesterday that they are starting to sprout again. I agree, very tough. Mine are in really packed clay that killed many other plants, not autumn joy.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3396396

I agree they can't be killed! I had some along the house and decided to thin them out. When I did, a lot of them broke off. I threw those out in a brush pile...and left them there for two weeks before I was told that you can plant any part of them and they will grow. I had noticed they had still looked pretty green on the old brush pile, so I went and got them and planted them...they lived and look great. You can pull a leaf off and plant it...I really wouldn't worry about killing this plant...I think its impossible.
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2007
11:39 AM

Post #3397624

I do the same as kyjoy in that I never cut mine back until Spring so I can have winter interest. The way I divide them is in the fall once they are done blooming. I jam the shovel with my foot into the middle of the plant and divide it. Then I cover the original plant back up with dirt and put the division into its new home. They are a tough plant. I don't know how it happened, but I noticed I had a small hydrangea start growing out of 1 of mine. I used the hand spade and eventually separated the two plants. I wasn't worried about the abuse to the Autumn Joy when I had to keep hammering the spade into the plants to divide them... it's the hydrangea that took the worst of it. I have to wait for the good weather to see if the hydrangea made it or not but those AJ's are tough little guys.
atcmadchen
Sharpsville, IN

April 16, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #3397923

I will definitely divide some of them this fall after they bloom. I did cut them back in late March, and you all were right, they came back very quickly.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3423345

You all have me very curious - which Sedum is "Autumn Joy" - couldn't locate it by that name in the Plant files. Sounds like something I might be very interested in - but does it need the cold of winter like so many other plants do?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #3423523

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51498/index.html
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3423682

Thanks ecrane3! These look quite similar to my kalanchoe...do any of you grow both? If so, can you give a quick synopsis of the differences? Thanks in Advance!

Shari
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3423707

Sedum (this one at least) is much hardier than Kalanchoe, but since you're in zone 11 that probably doesn't count as a difference! I think the flowers look a lot different, having grown both of them I know I would never get one confused with the other. But they are in the same family so there are a lot of similarities, and other than the hardiness I think the care and cultivation is pretty similar.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3423736

Okay...cool, if they are the same family that sure explains why I see so many similarities in the pictures. Thanks for the info!
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2007
7:52 AM

Post #3428249

If your Autumn Joy is still getting floppy after divided it can cut back by half in spring when plant is about 8 inches tall to decrease that problem.
As everyone has said, sedums are very hardy and dividing is easy. I like the winter interest too so cut back the old growth in spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America