Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: has anyone tried bare minerals?

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 113, Views: 1,269
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #3275591

Has anyone tried the bare minerals make up by escentuals? I just ordered it because I saw the info-mercial now I'm wondering if I should have asked the question first.
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 13, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3277982

I've never tried it myself but we've had a few people comment on it in this forum. They usually give it a thumbs up. Have fun when it arrives!
moonvine_lover
Tomball, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3303894

ive tried bare minerals...and i LOVED IT!! i guess the only problem i found with it is that the girls who used it believed that they could use the warmth as a bronzer when it clearly said it wasnt. which when used as a bronzer, gives the effect of a person face looking like a bronzed porcelain doll, which it seems like it would seem nice but it actually looks like crap...so i suggest don tuse the warmth as a bronzer.. the best thing you could do with the bare minerals is cover any unwanted spots with the powder (dont cake, please dont cake it) and use the mineral veil so it will blend well with your face, but heres a big tip most ladys out there dont follow...if the color doesnt match your face and you do decide to wear it, do your neck too..if you dont then youll have this icky make up line on your chin..

well i hoope ou like it as much as me..oh and good luck.

cyndi

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3314474

Thanks, I actually got it and love it! My mother-in-law said I looked well rested when I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep, thank my 7 month old. :)
Cynarae
Englishtown, NJ

March 24, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3316304

I stopped in Sephora yesterday and they did my make-up using Bare Minerals. It seemed to look good so I bought it . Later, while in a restaurant, I glanced into the mirror which was right next to me and didn't particularly like what I saw - it seemed kind of cakey. I've liked it when I've seen it on younger women - I'm 55 - I'd love to hear the opinions of women in my age group who've tried it - I'm going to hold off opening the kit until then.
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

March 30, 2007
7:23 AM

Post #3335601

I've been using this for years and wouldn't use anything else. Yea, I've had those store make overs too on other brands and I always come out looking like a clown. Use the products just like they tell you on the infomercial. As time goes by you will get the hang of it and then start experimenting. After I put mine on I keep a small water mister on hand and spritz my face lightly and if the makeup seems too much I just dab it with a cottonball or whatever. Like I said...I wouldn't use anything else.

Good luck,
S
animallover
Debary, FL

April 18, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #3405905

Cynarae,

Sephora, Revlon, Loreal, etc., all have pretty settings that are geared (by lighting) to make you look good. I agree with you that the product looked good on younger women but almost any product or no product at all would also look good on younger women.

It is time these beauty vendors create products that lend themselves to women that are older than 50 or 60 or 70 or any age.

I think we (less than young) are wasting a ton of money as are the younger women who would look good and possibly great without expensive makeup.

My feeling is that there is little difference between the very expensive & less expensive makeup except PACKAGING, MARKETING and COST.

orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2007
9:15 AM

Post #3411132

You're right about the cost involved in packaging, etc. I used to know someone (long time ago, but I doubt the marketing ploys have changed much) who worked for Revlon. The mark-up is obscene because they are charging for their fancy packages, etc. The cost of making the stuff is very cheap (I realize that they had to do some R&D first -- but nevertheless the product's cost is probably in the pennies !
GiddyMoon
Carmichael, CA

April 27, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #3437988

BE is a good brand, there are a lot of good brands. EBay is a wonderful place to try different ones perty cheap.

I use probably 4 diferent brand, when I do use makeup, which isn't often. But I don't like anything heavy or makeup looking..I do like BE!
dixiehil
COLUMBIA, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3441623

I've used it for about a year and love it and I'm not a spring chicken------
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3623788

I've used Bare Mineral for almost two years. I love it! I am over 60 and feel it looks good. It never occured to me it would be for younger women.

It goes on so fast! I love the brushes.It makes applying the powders so easy. I had used Clinque liquid for years and years. This product is just great.
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2007
6:59 AM

Post #3672781

What's the price range on Bare Minerals? I see it advertised, but there is never a price, so figure it cost and arm and a leg. I don't wear makeup that much so would also like to know how long it will last. Thanks for any infro. LIZ

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2007
7:49 PM

Post #3675935

Liz,
The original pkg was a how to dvd, 2 foundations, mineral veil, warmth, eye concealer and 3 brushes and a to go case for $59.98 the 2nd pkg was 2 foundations, mineral veil and facial cleanser for $49 and change and you can split payment. I love it. I never wore foundation unless we were going somewhere special. It's so light and blends so well it's like going natural but better. It lasts all day long and as they say you can even sleep in it. Love it.
sajwani
Dobbs Ferry, NY

June 30, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3679178

its great! and vegan I think. oh I am 21 btw and tried on my mom who said it does not work for her at all and she needs liquid foundation. but if you need light, healthy, coverage bare minerals are great.
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

July 5, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #3697759

It also lasts forever, I have been using it for over a year and have only had to buy the foundation 2x, and I still have a ways to go on the 2nd one.

I don't think all of the products they make are great, but the foundation, blush, radiances, and the mineral veil are great.
The brushes are a bit overpriced if you buy them alone, so I look for alternatives.
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

July 5, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3697776

For the women who are having problems with caking or the makeovers they had looking cakey, it is all a matter of how much you apply. The less the better! I use a little concealer if I need it on any spots, then the foundation - a very small amount! No caking that way. I am 43 and tho my skin looks good, it isn't perfect and if I put on too much it looks cakey too.
girlgroupgirl

July 9, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3712723

I use other brands of minerals that do not contain some of the chemicals in Bare Minerals - they stung my skin and made it turn very red. So you may need to experiment with various brands until you find the brand suited to you.

GGG

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2007
5:38 AM

Post #3717774

GGG,
That's really strange since there are no chemicals in bare minerals. Hence the name-bare minerals. Maybe it was the brush bristles??

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #3723632

[quote]What's the price range on Bare Minerals?[/quote]

I've been using it jsut over a year and i love it. i never wore foundation because i hated the liquid stuff -- even tried Mary Kay -- didnt like that either (though i use those moisturizers)

as for the price.. if you "join" their "club" thing where you initially pay the $60 or whatever... then they send you regular scheduled shipments [which you can change] -- that is the cheapest.

I pay roughly $48 for the Mineral Veil, 2 foundations and once in a while they toss in a "free goodie" of sorts.

I have a store near me, and the prices are quite a bit higher.

originally - i was doing the "every other month" shipment, then went to 4 months, now to 5 months -- i just dont use it as fast as they were sending it, and i have a stock pile.

I LOVE the Bisque concealer (though i did have to get that at the store, IIRC) but it hides imperfections very nicely.

I also have the skin cleanser (Bought it with a coupon) and the Revver Upper or whatever they call the moisturizer... they are great.

I have to agree about the "Warmth" -- use very sparingly.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3723647

groupgirlgroup wrote
[quote]I use other brands of minerals that do not contain some of the chemicals in Bare Minerals - they stung my skin and made it turn very red. So you may need to experiment with various brands until you find the brand suited to you.[/quote]

When i first tried this product last June -- it was the same day i was going to a party that evening... and my skin itched to beat the band!! i washed it all off immediately and called the company, thinking it was an allergic reaction. The gal told me that it can be common, and it give it another "try" and let my skin "get used to" the minerals... it has never happened to that extent again - but once in a blue moon if i put on the Mineral Veil first, i get a lil tingle on the skin... but that's it. YMMV.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2007
7:01 AM

Post #3726651

Wow, who knew???
Napergal
Naperville, IL

July 26, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #3782499

I am using some of the new mineral powder foundations ...I like them, but I hate the mess they make!! No matter how careful I am, I have a film of fine powder all over my vanity that I have to wipe up every day!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3799456

You have to make sure you tap off the excess back into the container.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3824414

I had used bare minerals for years and love it! Very easy to use, flawless and actually fun to apply. However, I noticed that the older I got the more it tended to accent my wrinkles. I still have the bare minerals make-up but really don't use it now since I don't like the way it settles into every little crease and accents them. I have started using liquid foundations for older skin now. Wish the bare minerals worked for older skin... maybe I'll give it another try and have a look see on how it works. I really, really like the bare minerals products. I also noticed that when I did use it I had much clearer skin.
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #3855544

I am getting in kind of late on this one but oh well. I don't wear makeup unless I am going out. My neighbor does use the bare minerals though. I don't know if it is the age thing like stacysmom said or what since she is 40 something or bad application but she always looks cakey. I don't think it is the age thing come to think of it. She is teaching her daughter how to wear makeup and now that I think of it, she looks cakey when she wears it too.
Also, I would never spend that kind of money on makeup. After seeing many news reports on the topic and given that I used to drive a truck, I found out that most makeup comes from the same 'vat'. They simply package and price it different for different companies. I remember picking up at Loreal and taking some stuff to a discount store and some to a warehouse for a big name. Most of the stuff you get isn't much different from the cheap stuff. I think more importantly you need to know what works for you and how to put it on. So many women don't know how to put it on right. I am not trying to be negative but, I am constantly seeing women with the chin line from foundation, the surprised look with the eyebrows and faces that look like a painters pallet.
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 14, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3856132

LOL That "chin" line makes me crazy too! I really like this stuff alot. A little goes a long way and it lasts forever.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #3856135

I only read the thread title but I saw this infomercial recently---seems interesting. Does it work?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3857584

Tir,

I've been using it over a year now and love it.

I always hated makeup... and once i hit 40, i thought to myself... i deserve to feel pretty/beautiful
I do not have the best complexion - and get some acne with the monthly hormone cycle... but this BareMinerals covers the imperfections very nicely.

some days i just wear a dusting of the mineral veil or a foundation, and other days i will wear a bit more -- if i need that extra coverage. it really really last a long time... at first i was getting the delivery every 2 months -- but after 6 months -- i noticed a small stock-pile. I think my last delivery was in March or so... and my next one in Nov... though i still dont think i will need any by then.

I do not have any of the 'make up' (eyes, lips, etc) though i do have 1 lipstick that i bought with my "birthday coupon" and really like it.

after using this foundation... I will NEVER wear a liquid foundation again.

when i look at the costs... i will compare what i have spent on this make up that i really like, and the make up that I've disliked and is either still in my drawer or has been tossed... to me, this has been more economical.
For some reason i still have not thrown out the MaryKay -- probably since it wasn't cheap... but i will never use it.

HTH

Terese
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 15, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3857637

Terese...you must try their eye brow stuff. It will last you the rest of your life. It comes with a niffty little brush and a mascarra like stuff that you apply after you do your brows and they will last all day, look natural until you wash it off. As I have said before, I wouldn't use anything else.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3857640

Thank-you, sounds like something I must try!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3858387

Terese, I don't know how she looks cakey with bare minerals unless she's using a shade that doesn't match her skin tone. It's meant to look natural and you shouldn't be able to tell she's wearing it.
Tir-it definitely is worth trying, it lasts forever and very easy to apply.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #3858981

And if I just cleaned up my acne will it bring it on?
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 15, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3860185

NOOOOO...it is light and does not sink into the skin causing clogged pores and that other gunk...ewwwww. I live in the desert and this is the best and I am 50ish :-)
I am also a huge fan of 30 day money back gaurantee. I don't mind being out the postage for the chance to try something. I just wish I could that kind of gaurantee for some of the trades I've made. LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3860861

Tir,

I'd have to say i do believe it has helped with my acne.

liquid foundations always clogged me, made my skin more oily... but not this stuff. as wineaux stated ...

Do give it a try -- you can always return it after the 30 days... but as we've all stated... this stuff is great, i highly doubt you will be disappointed.

There is one of the lil stores at the mall that sells this, whether it's a B.E. or not, i can't recall... but their prices are higher than the "club" pricing.

and with the "club" membership, you get a lil goodie every now and then. I know i was sent a "baby buki" brush and their cleanser... which i LOVED, but it's not cheap. I only bought a the bottle [got the small bottle as a freebie -- and keep it at my vacation home] -- but i purchased the larger bottle [$32.00] with the B-day coupon i got in an email from the store.

OH and to get back to the other post about the eye brow makeup... I just don't wear makeup really. eye liner, mascara, and lipstick. that's it. I have bangs, so my brows do not even show.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3860880

I just gave up foundations years ago even though I finally found the right shade for me (no chin lines!!!!). I think I might could try this though.
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3863200

I'm 50 and LOVE this stuff! It really does last a very long time. I always hated liquids beause I felt they never matched my skin tone ( warm with freckes) I too despise the chin line of the caked into the hairline look. My 48 year old friend and 47 year old sister use it and love it too. My 21 year old daughter that has perfect and darker skin tones than me loves it also. I wonder if anyone has ever bought more than one "warmth" A little goes a very long way. As I've gotten older I really feel less is better. I don't feel I get the caked look or that in settles in wrinkles and I have my share of those! I prefer to call them "lifelines"
I find that liquid foundations and concealers settle much more.
Another tip for you all...Avon Anew clinical eye lift. My sister recommended to me and it's great!
A warning if you fall for informercials...The Cindy Crawford line is a giant rip off. The cleanser,moisturizer and night cream have "false bottoms" so it appears there's more product than there actually is. I hate misconception! I question why they feel the need to put the product in a container 3 times the size needed. So you think you're getting more than you are, that's why.
Again, love the bare minerals,
Susan
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2007
2:12 PM

Post #3863242

Susan,

Thanks for the warning on the Crawford line. So bogus! Sounds like I might should order some of this bare minerals. What if I order the wrong tone???
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3863325

Tir_Na_Nong
I think they have a phone # you could call. I use medium beige. I think they have a money back guarantee. My neice in Colorado loves the "ProActiv" product for her acne and uses bare minerals cosmetics. It's very natural looking and you don't look "made up" I've seen some women my age and older that wear way too much make-up. To me it looks worse than nothing at all.
Good Luck,
Susan

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3863711

Tir_,

when you go to their site
http://bareminerals.com/

click the [more] where it says Find Your Shade.
i think it's pretty flawless in choosing colors... i too am medium.
you get 2 shades for your skin color; one lighter than the other
so you get a pretty perfect match.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3863878

Just wanted to join in on the fun here!

For anyone who wants to try a mineral foundation but doesn't want to fork out the $60 (or doesn't have a place nearby to get a makeover...like me) L'Oreal Bare Naturales run around $13 at Wal-Mart. I decided to try the L'Oreal before buying the BE and ended up sticking with it. I think it's very similar. They make a blush (warmth?) also that lasts forever. A lot of different companies are coming out with mineral makeups now, including eye makeup. I picked up a Nuetrogena minerals eye shadow pack and I just love it...I think it's going to last me about 10 years!

One thing about mineral foundations looking cakey or settling into wrinkles...you can apply too much and it *will* begin to look thick/greasy like. It's not like applying powder over liquid foundation, you don't need that much. Another thing that's very important is that your skin is exfoliated. The buffing will bring up those dead skin cells!

I've also noticed the stinging sensation...although I'm using a different brand I thought I'd mention it. I've noticed it most when it's hot and dry, when I apply the foundation when I'm sweating, and when I don't use a good moisturizer. I think it's happened to me a total of about 4 or 5 times and I've been using this for about 6-7 months now. If it had happened w/ my first use it would have turned me off too, but try it again sometime and don't buff too hard w/ the brush.

BTW, I used to sell MK. Go ahead and throw it out. You have my permission! ROTFLOL!!!
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 16, 2007
6:58 PM

Post #3864237

I started with the BM and then tried some others, just to compare. BM brushes are the softest and best quality. Those other brushes seem to shed all over my face. Made me look like I had a 5:00 shadow LOL and although BM costs more, in my opinion, compared to others I've tried, BM is a superior product. But I've only tried a couple, I'm sure there are some very good ones out there. I just didn't choose one.
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3864409

I also recommend exfoliating and using the "skin rev-er upper" it provides a very nice base and takes just a small amount. My daughter ( 21 and of course doesn't even need make up) is currently trying the Cover Girl Tru-blend with minerals and likes it also, just not the brush it came with. I think it was only around $10.
Heathrjoy, too funny, I just threw out 2 Mary Kay eye creams that were given to me when I got the Avon Anew .
The $60 for the Bare Minerals seems like a lot, but I started using it a year ago and got the package with the brushes, I've only re-purchased the base and the bisque concealer. It's a bargain in the long run. An added bonus is you can throw away all the other crap you try and don't like and your make-up kit is small and compact. I havent tried any of the other products, lipstick eye-shadows etc. I still use good ole Maybelline mascara and a Cover Girl eye-shadow quad.
susan

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2007
5:39 AM

Post #3870110

Heathrjoy, too funny, my friend sells mk and I feel guilty when I just delete her e-mail before reading it, but bm is so great. Is the l'oreal actually just minerals also, did you compare the ingredients?
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3873944

I haven't compared the ingredients, but I'm pretty sure the Loreal has other stuff in it...so it's not *just* minerals. I have to say that after selling MK it's so hard to pay those high prices, so for now I'll stick with the cheaper Loreal. I know one day I'll switch to the BM and probably see a huge difference!

...and the feeling guilt thing, don't!!!! If you've found a great product, stick with it, whether it's MK or something else. Even when I sold MK I used other products...a HUGE no-no!! tee hee hee!
sabangel
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2007
7:12 AM

Post #3889348

This is so very serendipitous! I am often here checking the plant database. I have been working for a woman who is 10 years older than me. We work in her home and when she's going out after work and puts her make-up on, I am blown away! It's inspiring - I finally asked her today what she used...I have been under so much stress - sick husband - tendonitis - worry, pain, worry, insufficient slumber - and have really started feeling like I look my age - or older - I am 53.

She told me she wore BM - and said Ulta carries it. I was doing a little Internet research because I wanted some idea of the price point. I am already sold - based on my employer's amazingly flawless look and because I can drop in any Ulta store and get "colored". I am concerned about picking the wrong color online. I seem to always surprise people (going back to the early 80's "Color Parties") by my skin tone, colors, etc. I am a "Winter", have lighter hair but very dark eyebrows. I tan well but My soundation shade when I used used Prescriptives was Alabaster - my later custom color was even lighter.

I stopped wearing liquid make-up because it is hot as Hades where I live and even when I felt my skin looked good with moisturizer, I could count on revealing a number of patchy spots after applying the foundation - It just became easier to go without.

My employer never looks like it is caked on - always smooth and silky and never any sign of settling in and emphasizing her life lines. The even tone she gets makes her blue eyes just pop. I am going to check with her but I think she must use the bareVitamins Skin Rev-er Upper or Prime Time Foundation Primer. Like a fine mosaic, we must properly prepare the substrate for correct adhesion - LOL.

I'm excited - I will go have a demo or consult on my color. I appreciate knowing there are bonuses to belonging to the club.

Also - for comparison or curiosity, the Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" Cosmetic database has ratings for the safety of products based upon their ingredients (and toxicity). It explains the descriptions of their ratings if you hover your mouse over the section. Here's a not-so-great rating of a MK product - the Creme-to-Powder foundation.

http://tinyurl.com/272jpv

Thanks, girls, for helping me make my decision to give BM a try. Chances are, if it works well, no one will recognize me!
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3889728

Sabangel,
Try it, you'll like it! I too live in a hotter than you know what and very humid climate. I was also a fan of Prescriptives and found the lady at Macy's matched my skin tone well. My foundation color with Prescriptives was "warm champagne" I liked the product in the winter time but hated it in the summer and here we are mostly summer. I could just feel it on my face. I've never liked the way powder felt on my face either. The BM does not feel like powder at all. I do recommend the "skin rever-upper" it is a nice light base. I moisturize first wait about 10 minutes then put on the rever-upper. It takes just a few drops. I also like how quickly and easily the BM goes on. I use 2 concealers bisque and well rested. The well rested works great on your eyes.
It's a bargain in the long run.
Good Luck,
Susan
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2007
2:34 PM

Post #3890139

I had quit using the BM products because I didn't like the way it was setteling into the little age lines around my eyes so I started using liquid foundation. Well after all the talk here on the BM I decided to give it another try. I love their products and the coverage you get without the cakey look. I pulled all my BM out the other day and wore it to work. One of my co-workers said I looked radiant! And my boss said I looked like I was very well rested and refreshed! Okay, I'm sold, back to the BM! I cleaned my brushes real well before using them again and let my moisturizer dry before applying the BM. Now I remember why I like this stuff. Flawless coverage! Even when I had gone back to the liquid foundation I was still using the bisque with the maximum coverage brush on the areas that the foundation didn't quite cover. I have never used the "well rested" or the "skin rever-upper" but will be putting in an order soon. We have an Ulta store coming to the local mall and I can't wait! I have always ordered from QVC because there is no local store that carrys the BM here. Now I can save on shipping costs. People are always "blown away" by the cost of BM but a little goes a loooooong way and it lasts a long time. Like sanita said, I don't think I have ever bought more of the warmth because you only need a very, very little bit. I bought a package deal one time with the warmth, true, glee and clear radiance and used them all the time, I love each of them, and it looks like I have hardly used any of them. So, I'm back to being a BM user!

Gay
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3890224

I think they sell a special cleanser for the brushes, but I just use baby shampoo. I clean my brushes about every two weeks. I think it definitely helps to let your moisturizer dry before you apply the BM, maybe that's what you found help with the "settling in. I just use Dove moisturizer, with spf 15. I am naturally fair skinned and freckled, green/hazel eyes and auburn hair( well it was naturally auburn until it started turning grey, now it's auburn thanks to L'Oreal!) You don't stay fair skinned in Florida unless you hibernate or stay inside 9 months out of the year. I love how natural BM looks and again you don't get that horrible chin line or the caked into the hairline look!
We should get a comission now!
Susan
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 23, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3890284

I saw them clean the brushes on an infomercial...just wet the brush, put baby shampoo or whatever you use in the palm of your hand swish rinse swish rinse til clear water runs from it and violla...you can do it everyday if you want.
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3890471

That's just what I do. I only clean mine every two weeks because I don't wear make up every day. I'm currently not working so I don't feel the need to.
susan

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3890847

>>We have an Ulta store coming

OH - I had no idea Ulta carried BM.

at Woodfield (Our local BIG mall) we have both Bare Essentials and Sephora -- and they are practically across from each other.

I'll have to check Ulta to see what their prices are like.

I would LOVE to get an extra set of brushes (one for home and one for travel) but they aren't cheap.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3890934

i just browsed the QVC site and all the prices seem the same as in the BE store at the Mall.

with the "club" pricing, it is a bit cheaper (they say 20%)
and i noticed the Rev'er Upper is only $1 cheaper

you have to read the print carefully (as i did not do the first time) because the prices seem really good until you see that it is 2 payments of $19.99 + s/h
where I only saw payment of $19.00 + s/h

but it is still a great deal over the stores.

and with the shipments - you do get a catalog where you can order more items, but not at discount pricing (at least i dont believe so)

At my local B.E. store at Woodfield I signed up for their "emails" and for my B-day, i got a coupon for i think 15% off (maybe 10%) but I went in and purchased a bunch of stuff, face wash, expandable bag (which they very nicely mis-marked and i paid $11 in stead of $25 less the discount) and a few other items. Plus they have those "punch cards" [spend so much and get $20 off, something like that.] so i will pop in every so often.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3911778

I ordered the "well rested" eye shadow and just received it today. I love it! It's such a great color. I don't like the brush that came with it so am using the double ended eyeshadow brush. Great stuff!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2007
7:27 AM

Post #3992103

Avon has the same make=up for $10.00 a jar. Same size and all.. I have used both and can see no difference..(only price).. Many companies now have this type of make=up out and the cost is a lot less for the same thing.. Loreal has a good one also.

Larkie
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3992424

I have also tried the Avon minerals make-up and didn't like it compared to the Bare Minerals. It seemed to be dull and not as luminous to me. I have almost full jars of the Avon sitting in my cabinet.
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3992606

I tried the cover girl minerals my daughter has and didn't like it either. Same thing, dull looking, on my older skin anyway.
I probably shouldn't say this( but I will) you can also get Bare Minerals on e-bay. New, un-opened products.
susan

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #4543631

this is the first foundation i actually liked, and as for cost ... i'd pay the $48 every 3-4 months ... and still could not use what i was being sent... so i put my subscription thing on hold... i think in the time i've used it (will be 2 yrs in June) I have gone thru 2 ... only 2 mind you, of the Mineral Veil, and i have a small stock pile of the Foundations ... it will probaby take me 3-4 yrs to use what it in my drawer. SO - honestly, i dont feel it's been too expensive. Just hope the stuff doesnt expire.
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4544251

Closer to the beginning of this thread,I said I love Bare Mineral. Like it more than anything I've use,.and have been using for about 21/2 years.

I read that thread as being a sort of commercial. I'll bet that is discouraged here.
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 18, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4557072

skinfully_bare seems to be balanced in her posts (albiet strong opinions). I have seen other posts by her and she is not advocating one specific product. She seems to be very informed and wanting to be helpful. Maybe smaller doses skinfully_bare. ;)

I have reported "advertisers" in the past to have them pulled and so far skinfully_bare is not someone I would do that to. The Beauty Forum in general gets little action so I'm happy to see someone so willing to give advice!

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 5:25 PM
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2008
8:19 AM

Post #4563395

Here is the Environmental Working Groups cosmetic safety data base web site to check for hazardous ingredients in your cosmetics.
I've done a search for "mineral makeup".

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch_free.php?hq=mineral+makeup&go=go

I had a make over at a Bare Escentuals (sp) store at a mall. It made my skin itch and burn so badly that I had to wash it off in the public restroom - I couldn't get it off fast enough. This surprised me as I had used some hand crafted mineral makeups many years ago when they were little known and had no problems.

wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4565791

I think that BE is the product line that I agreed to try during a makeover at a local "upscale" spa, but I'm not certain if it's the same brand or not. I need to go look at their packaging and see if it triggers a memory. In any case, I was really put off by the cakey / stage makeup effect that it had on my skin. It also seemed to take an eternity for the woman to apply it. Of course, this could be due to the woman applying it, but the experience was a big turn off for me. If a professional couldn't apply it in an understated and natural looking way, then what chance have *I* got?

Anyhoo, I like the concept, but it doesn't seem like a realistic option for me.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #4569353

wrightie, you should really go back and try it you'll love it.Maybe try the new Maybelline or I think Cover Girl came out with a mineral line it may be cheaper.It takes no time at all to apply. It never looks cakey always looks and feels like your not wearing any makeup and my face has never burned or stung( I guess if you normally have snsitive skin it may happen).

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #4569698

I have to admit --- i was "itchy" the very first time i put it on... but never since, and that's almost 2 yrs ago.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #4683698

Note from admin: I spent some time deleting several posts from this thread because they went from merely disagreeing to being very disagreeable and abusive. Those edits have been logged and noted.

If you had a post removed, and you don't understand why it was removed, I direct your attention to our Acceptable Use Policy, specifically Paragraph 7:

[quote]"Do not place any material on our service that could be considered offensive, indecent, abusive, hateful, harassing, libelous, profane, vulgar or unlawful. Our audience tends to be family-oriented (including minors), and we have the right, but not the obligation, to remove, edit, or relocate any content that we feel violates the standards of our site..."[/quote]

If you have read that paragraph and still have questions, feel free to contact us - there's a link at the bottom of each page. We don't want to see anyone's membership revoked, so if you were among those whose posts were edited or removed, please consider this a friendly warning and make every effort to ensure your posts adhere to the AUP from here on out.

Thanks,
Terry
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #4805470

Not for older skin it realy show up your lines

Thumbnail by tazzy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wineaux
Tucson, AZ

April 14, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4807222

tazzy, try this...after applying spray your face with a fine mist of water(I add a little lavender) and just let it dry naturally. I have used this method for awhile and makes your skin look more natural.
CindyCindy
freehold
United States

April 15, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #4814162

I use bare minerals and I am happy with it.
But you never know if it will work for you until you try it.
As some people have said already, it might not be a good match for older women,
in any case, I would give it a try and see how it works out.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5139551

I just tried it for the fist time a few days ago. I love it. As the advertisement emphasises: Less is More. I am 62 and I don't see it in my creases. I use it sparingly and according to directions. I use the Warmth when I am supposed to and not as a bronzer. My skin feels softer... I truly like it!! :D

Cissy
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5139558

Used it for years! LOVE it! LOL!
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

June 22, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5142984

pretty much all I use.
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5145073

The itch is usually from the brush - wash it before you use it the first time. I know, I know, so much for instant gratification! BM and Jane Iredale are the purest of the mineral makeup lines that I am aware; no fillers, talc etc. The minerals sit on top of your skin not in your pores.

Susan I grew up in Brandon many moons ago - the mall was pasture for cows. I graduated BHS in 1985 if that gives you any clue!

Funny stuff Tazzy! Older skin may benefit from using a primer under the minerals and on top of their moisturizer - let dry.

-Kim
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5146571

Kim, as I stated above, I use BM on my old skin and I love it. Like you said, it must be because it sits on top of your skin, not in the pores, etc. My started kit came with a primer lotion to use before applying BM. It must be what helps older skin to be able to look good using BM. At any rate, I happen to like it very much :)

Cissy
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5146718

I'm 47. I use the primer everytime. People are always amazed at how nice my skin looks and feels. I credit BM for a lot of that, but I am also very careful re: sun damage.

One thing I noticed when I first started using BM. When I was in my 30's I would get blackheads on my nose during "that time of the month". They went away and have never come back. I rarely get any blemishs now. My skin cleared up! It's awesome!

I recommend BM or Jane Iredell to everyone. I really like the J Iredell lipsticks.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5147445

MySharona, I never heard of Jane Iredell products until this thread. I am going to see what information I can find. I am sticking with BM, but I want to see about the J Iredell lipstick you mention :)

Are the Jane Iredell products sold only online? Or, which stores sell her products?

Cissy

This message was edited Jun 23, 2008 10:13 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5147524

The only place I've found here for Jane Iredell products is in upscale salons (I live on a small barrier island). Can't even get it on ebay.

Maybe try Sephora?
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5150125

Thanks, MySharona. I will try Sephora :D

Cissy
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

June 28, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5172657

I went thru a cheap phase and tried some drugstore mineral makeup products.

Loreal - not bad, but not as nice as BE. Too heavy, didn't stay on as long

Physicians Formula - chalky looking. No good colors for me.

I also tried the one you can order online, and get a free sample kit for the price of shipping, called Everyday Minerals. Much less money than BE, and I really liked it. I think I will order some full sizes. I would also like to try Avon.
skinfully_bare
Houston, TX

July 5, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5208459

A really nice gal recently gave me a kit of Dr. Hauschka brand in exchange for a kit of my brand & it's really good. If I didn't make my own makeup & skin care I'd be using Dr. Hauschka's products. Actually I do wear them now & then.

Also, some of you asked me what skin care is safe, healthy, affordable & works well. Burt's Bees is my answer. Terrific stuff. No harmful chemicals or allergens. I liked how it makes my skin feel & the price is right.

Both Dr. Hauschka & Burts Bees are affordable, safe, high quality & truly healthy.
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

July 5, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5208668

BE?...bare essentials? I use Bare Minerals and like it.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5208717

I checked out Burt's Bee. Products sound wonderful...if you have young skin. I found no actual cosmetics/makeup, only skin moisurizers, etc. I like to have my skin look more even...particlarly at my age. I don't wear makeup heavily, but I do like coverage enough to even out my coloring.

If I were still in my 20's, 30's or even 40's, I'd consider going without makeup and just using a product like Burt's Bees. Yes, beauty is skin deep, but I don't use makeup to be a beauty, I use it to smooth out my flawed skin as best I can. I like feeling femine and using makeup helps. I was raised in the era where women wore makeup and lipstick. Today's young peope, and some older, use no makeup. I envy them! LOL

I also checked out Dr. Hauschka. I tried store/spa locator, but found nothing. I guess one can order only online?

Cissy
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5208907

[quote]If all you care about is how you look, not your well being, then you are just "dying to be beautiful[/quote]
I don't think that by using BE people just care about how they look and are dying to be beautiful. I'm sure BE would not be on the market and selling so much of their product the way they do if it was so harmful. It is tested.
I did a google search of skinfully bare and found it to be a cosmetic line. I think this is a form of advertising that is not allowed at DG.

Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5208955

[quote]Why so gung ho for BE[/quote]

The original poster asked if anyone has tried Bare Escentials/Minerals.[quote] Has anyone tried the bare minerals make up by escentuals?[/quote]So naturally, those of us who have, answered------thus starting the discussion. Opinions were given. I truly doubt anyone here works for BE. I sure don't and I like BE.

Cissy
andidandi
Arlington, VA

July 9, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5232088

Burt's definitely makes makeup. I have tons of it. Their products are great. They are now owned by one of the big companies so their products are now everywhere. Perhaps they stopped making the cosmetics when the company was sold, but they definitely existed at one point.

I've tried the BE stuff at the store and didn't see what the big deal was versus a powder foundation from another brand like MAC that has something to match anyone. Also, it seemed (just from the kit I saw in the shop) like it was packaged in a way that you got some stuff you didn't need and might not use as part of the spectrum. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, just that I tried it and didn't see what the big deal was. It seems like more hassle versus going to a shop and getting something that matches your skin. Just my opinion.
kuntrymama
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #5949482

I am 63 and have used bare minerals for 4 years. If you use the correct amount it does not cake. I have had people ask me what type of make-up I was using. I love all the colors and it last forever. I used to use Merle Norman. I will not use anything else but bare minerals! Love it!
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #5949976

kuntry, I find myself going back and forth between bare essentials brand bare minerals and another kind. I like them both and have plenty of them both :)
kuntrymama
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #5953485

Sis_E,
I tried Avon minerals and Loreal minerals, and IMO, BM is worlds apart from any other minerals out there. I think all the others are trying to copy and catch up with BM. I will use it forever...even tell the make-up person at the funeral home to use BM!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #5953556

I've tried the Mary Kay minerals and it def does not compare to Bare Minerals.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #5954211

jen, it's been many years since I used Mary Kaye. So, they now have a minerals. Hmm...I'll stick with Bare Essentials Bare Minerals :)
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #5963114

Has anyone compared BE with Everyday Minerals? If this was mentioned earlier, sorry. I'm too lazy to read this whole thing right now!
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #5964967

LOL Shune, me too, many times. I am not familiar with Everyday Minerals. Maybe someone else will come along :)
kymomof4
Independence, KY

January 6, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #5971954

I just purchased bare minerals, and followed the instructions on applying, but it seems like it is settling in my wrinkles more so under my eyes than my liquid makeup did? Seems like my crows feet are more visible??? Maybe I am doing something wrong?? Anyone else having this problem?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #5972377

Be sure to use the skin rev-er upper before applying the foundation (and let it dry).
andidandi
Arlington, VA

January 7, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #5976967

Well, while holiday shopping I tried the $2.99 kind and it didn't seem any different.
kuntrymama
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #5982215

momof4,
I use a moisturizer and the rever-upper. Let it dry for about 10 minutes, then apply the foundation. And be sure to tap the brush. If you load too much in the brush, it will settle. And besure to buff your face once foundation is applied. That should take care of the settling.
kuntrymama
df1292
Merced, CA

January 11, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #5991427

Hello,
Today I purchased Bare Essentials for the first time, not sure if it will be the last. I was so excited to buy the product after watching a friend apply the makeup to her face yesterday. At the store I had the sales lady apply the makeup to my face. When I looked in the mirror it looked like it had pulled every wrinkle out of my face. When I brought this to the ladies attention she stated the makeup needed to warm up???? I then looked in the mirror a little closer and it looked as if my pores got bigger too. I was really disappointed even more so when I got home. I have very dry skin, not sure if thatís the problem. If any one out there has any advise please respond. I bought the product but now afraid to open, not sure if I need to return it. Thank you!
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

January 11, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #5991554

df...it's expensive stuff and not for everybody, if you're not comfortable with it I would return it. I personally have been using the stuff for many years and love the product.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #5992186

I have used BE for many years but found the older I got the more I didn't like how it accented the lines and wrinkles. I quit for a bit then went back to it because I really liked BE. It was good for my skin and it really improved my complexion. But I couldn't get past how the wrinkles stood out so again have quit using it. I've tried applying lightly, heavily and really buffing and buffing. Sorry but I don't think it really suits older skin. Too bad as I love the stuff! I have never tried the rever upper first. I have also tried the Avon version of the mineral make-up. No comparison to BE. I found Avon to have a very dull quality to it.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #5993002

I agree with the older skin thing. So, I asked the Bare Essentials lady. She told me to try the Prime Time by BE before applying the makeup. Of course, I had to buy it from her LOL. Anyway, it made a difference. It smooths out your skin before applying BE. I like the Primer so well that I use it under any of my types of makeup. It makes your skin so smooth, like a baby's butt (without the diaper rash). Just pump out 2 or 3 drops and spread over the face.

Just a thought. :) You know it's funny, but it's us older gals that need a truly good makeup. All the makeups in the market place are aimed at young skin. The very type that doesn't need special kinds. Us older ladies are sort of left out. I told this to the "young" lady at the BE counter. She didn't have a response. What could she say? ::shrug::

Just another thought LOL.
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6066810

I agree us older ladies( I'm almost 52) need a better quality make up!
I have just found that at my age " less is more" I sometime see ladies my age with a ton of make up on and I think it looks terrible ( like you're just trying too hard) I have BE I havent used it in a while because I'
ve been using an exfoliating product and BE looks terrible on me now. It makes my face look like a cracked china doll. I'll wait a while and try it again. My 73 year old mother asked me about it and I told her " no way"
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6071425

I agree, Sanita, about "less is more"...I have gotten away from BE for now. I use a makeup with moisturizer and it spreads so much better. I dont use much, just enough to cover flaws as best as can be expected.

Then I use a little eye liner, cheek color and very little mascara. Since I wear glasses, it doesn't show that I wear little mascara. I do wear lipstick color as I need it. None of this clear gooey stuff... :D :D
sanita
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6076691

Yep, less is more! I used BE today for the first time in months and it looked good ( compliments) I only use a light foundation (or cover), light eyeliner,mascara, blush and a little lipstick. If I'm going out, I wear eyeshadow, and a little more mascara.
At our age "It is what it is"
susan
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

February 9, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6116610

I LOVE BE! Have been using it for YEARS! I buy mine on QVC. If for some reason I dont like what I bought - they take returns. But I've never had to return anything!
jmp24
Medford, NJ

May 5, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6508360

For those of you who like BE but would like to spend less, the Avon Mineral makeup is surprisingly decent, and only about $7 if you get it on sale, which is in every other brochure. So far I have only tried the Translucent Glow, which is colorless. It has a beautiful finish and the staying power is great. I have tried more of the DS brands than I can count, most ranging around $10 to $15, but none of them come close to the quality of the Avon one. And believe me, I am not a big fan of Avon, I just thought I would give it a try.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6519212

That's a good idea, jmp. There's an Avon lady down the street from me. Maybe one day... :)
jmp24
Medford, NJ

May 8, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6519377

i forgot to mention, if you are looking for good coverage, the Translucent Glow from Avon will probably not work for you..it is very sheer - tho it would be perfect to carry in your purse for mid day touchups over regular foundation, because additional layers don't cake up. I am going to try the others and will let you all know if they are any good.
konakathie
Temecula, CA

May 8, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6522355

I second many of the comments on here about how it can accentuate your lines-- especially around my eyes. So what I do is use concealer and a liquid product there, and then the BM everywhere else . I'm 50 and just starting to see lines.
It cracks me up that BM and the like are so "new"----I remember (and still have) a product called ":Indian Earth" that came in a little earthen jar.You could use it as blush,lipcolor, eyeshado, etc.. as it was a neutral brown tone. They probably went out of business because the stuff lasts forever! :)
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6522460

I remember that 'Indian Earth'... a little went a long way. I use to use it as a bronzer years ago.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6522503

I think Vermont Country store still sells it.

Yep...found it...
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Apothecary/Cosmetics/Original-Indian-Earth/D/30100/P/1:100:1000:10020/I/f03772?evar3=BROWSE
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6526158

Thank you for the link, Flowerjen. I am sorely tempted :D LOL
animallover
Debary, FL

May 10, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6530829

After reading everything on this thread I would like to add a little bit of information and maybe help to those people that do not "decorate themselves everyday" and are older than 55, 65, 75 etc.

For the young people I would certainly recommend staying natural. You have the youthful skin and need very, very little to make it look better.

For the others that don't have the youthful skin like me I'll tell you what I do.
On a daily basis I use an inexpensive (there are more expensive ones out there and I was thinking about using l'Oreal but I will use the Jergens first since I have it). However, Jergens does just what it advertised and I'm pleased with it. We're women so we always need to see if something is better.

Jergens daily glow that takes away the very "white look". That'senough to be presentable. Then if I want to look better I don't do a full face thing.
There are ONLY 3 places I add a LITTLE product. 1. Right below the eyes where is sometimes too dark and right below the nose and the chin.
The rest of the face is JERGENS daily glow.

Hope this helps someboday.

Your face may be different but if you limit the amount of makeup ALL OVER I will assure you that you will look good and also natural.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6541595

Animallover, I love your post!! Great idea. I will pick some up. I see it all the time on the shelf. I am 62 and retired. When working, I wore makeup every day. Now I use it occasionally. But I really like you idea.

Also, you are so right about young women who are teens, 20's and some 30's as well. You all really don't need a whole lot. Some don't need any at all! Yet, all the advertisements you see on TV show models with flawless skin putting on makeup. They cater to the very women who don't need it! LOL. When I see a young gal with obvious clear and smooth skin but they are wearing an inch of makeup, I feel it's such a waste. Ahh, youth :)
Sunflower1888
Manassas, VA

May 27, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6604104

I haven't used the Bare Minerals brand but I do use mineral make up. I'm only so impressed. The ads say that you can cover any imperfections. HA! They haven't met MY skin: large pores, freckles AND Rosacea. Mineral make up does not cover the freckles or Rosacea while liquid make up does. I have found that using Philosophy's The Present as a make up base helps alot with making the mineral make up look more natural. I do prefer the lightness of mineral make up in the summertime. I have oily skin and adding liquid make up to it in the summer just isn't a pretty look. I have found that overall the best coverage ( for me, anyway ) comes from Max Factor's Pan Stik make up. I thought it would be too heavy with my oily skin but it isn't. Everything is covered when I wear it and people comment on how flawless my skin looks which I don't get when I use the mineral make up.
Sis_E
(Cissy) San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6605662

Nice post, Sunflower. Sounds like you found the ideal makeup for your skin :)
dvine
Flemington, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6785420

Yes!! I have and love it!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America