has anyone tried bare minerals?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Has anyone tried the bare minerals make up by escentuals? I just ordered it because I saw the info-mercial now I'm wondering if I should have asked the question first.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I've never tried it myself but we've had a few people comment on it in this forum. They usually give it a thumbs up. Have fun when it arrives!

Tomball, TX(Zone 9a)

ive tried bare minerals...and i LOVED IT!! i guess the only problem i found with it is that the girls who used it believed that they could use the warmth as a bronzer when it clearly said it wasnt. which when used as a bronzer, gives the effect of a person face looking like a bronzed porcelain doll, which it seems like it would seem nice but it actually looks like crap...so i suggest don tuse the warmth as a bronzer.. the best thing you could do with the bare minerals is cover any unwanted spots with the powder (dont cake, please dont cake it) and use the mineral veil so it will blend well with your face, but heres a big tip most ladys out there dont follow....if the color doesnt match your face and you do decide to wear it, do your neck too..if you dont then youll have this icky make up line on your chin..

well i hoope ou like it as much as me..oh and good luck.

cyndi

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I actually got it and love it! My mother-in-law said I looked well rested when I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep, thank my 7 month old. :)

Englishtown, NJ

I stopped in Sephora yesterday and they did my make-up using Bare Minerals. It seemed to look good so I bought it . Later, while in a restaurant, I glanced into the mirror which was right next to me and didn't particularly like what I saw - it seemed kind of cakey. I've liked it when I've seen it on younger women - I'm 55 - I'd love to hear the opinions of women in my age group who've tried it - I'm going to hold off opening the kit until then.

Tucson, AZ

I've been using this for years and wouldn't use anything else. Yea, I've had those store make overs too on other brands and I always come out looking like a clown. Use the products just like they tell you on the infomercial. As time goes by you will get the hang of it and then start experimenting. After I put mine on I keep a small water mister on hand and spritz my face lightly and if the makeup seems too much I just dab it with a cottonball or whatever. Like I said...I wouldn't use anything else.

Good luck,
S

Debary, FL

Cynarae,

Sephora, Revlon, Loreal, etc., all have pretty settings that are geared (by lighting) to make you look good. I agree with you that the product looked good on younger women but almost any product or no product at all would also look good on younger women.

It is time these beauty vendors create products that lend themselves to women that are older than 50 or 60 or 70 or any age.

I think we (less than young) are wasting a ton of money as are the younger women who would look good and possibly great without expensive makeup.

My feeling is that there is little difference between the very expensive & less expensive makeup except PACKAGING, MARKETING and COST.

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

You're right about the cost involved in packaging, etc. I used to know someone (long time ago, but I doubt the marketing ploys have changed much) who worked for Revlon. The mark-up is obscene because they are charging for their fancy packages, etc. The cost of making the stuff is very cheap (I realize that they had to do some R&D first -- but nevertheless the product's cost is probably in the pennies !

Carmichael, CA

BE is a good brand, there are a lot of good brands. EBay is a wonderful place to try different ones perty cheap.

I use probably 4 diferent brand, when I do use makeup, which isn't often. But I don't like anything heavy or makeup looking..I do like BE!

COLUMBIA, TN(Zone 6b)

I've used it for about a year and love it and I'm not a spring chicken------

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

I've used Bare Mineral for almost two years. I love it! I am over 60 and feel it looks good. It never occured to me it would be for younger women.

It goes on so fast! I love the brushes.It makes applying the powders so easy. I had used Clinque liquid for years and years. This product is just great.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

What's the price range on Bare Minerals? I see it advertised, but there is never a price, so figure it cost and arm and a leg. I don't wear makeup that much so would also like to know how long it will last. Thanks for any infro. LIZ

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Liz,
The original pkg was a how to dvd, 2 foundations, mineral veil, warmth, eye concealer and 3 brushes and a to go case for $59.98 the 2nd pkg was 2 foundations, mineral veil and facial cleanser for $49 and change and you can split payment. I love it. I never wore foundation unless we were going somewhere special. It's so light and blends so well it's like going natural but better. It lasts all day long and as they say you can even sleep in it. Love it.

Dobbs Ferry, NY

its great! and vegan I think. oh I am 21 btw and tried on my mom who said it does not work for her at all and she needs liquid foundation. but if you need light, healthy, coverage bare minerals are great.

Medford, NJ

It also lasts forever, I have been using it for over a year and have only had to buy the foundation 2x, and I still have a ways to go on the 2nd one.

I don't think all of the products they make are great, but the foundation, blush, radiances, and the mineral veil are great.
The brushes are a bit overpriced if you buy them alone, so I look for alternatives.

Medford, NJ

For the women who are having problems with caking or the makeovers they had looking cakey, it is all a matter of how much you apply. The less the better! I use a little concealer if I need it on any spots, then the foundation - a very small amount! No caking that way. I am 43 and tho my skin looks good, it isn't perfect and if I put on too much it looks cakey too.

I use other brands of minerals that do not contain some of the chemicals in Bare Minerals - they stung my skin and made it turn very red. So you may need to experiment with various brands until you find the brand suited to you.

GGG

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

GGG,
That's really strange since there are no chemicals in bare minerals. Hence the name-bare minerals. Maybe it was the brush bristles??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
What's the price range on Bare Minerals?

I've been using it jsut over a year and i love it. i never wore foundation because i hated the liquid stuff -- even tried Mary Kay -- didnt like that either (though i use those moisturizers)

as for the price.. if you "join" their "club" thing where you initially pay the $60 or whatever.... then they send you regular scheduled shipments [which you can change] -- that is the cheapest.

I pay roughly $48 for the Mineral Veil, 2 foundations and once in a while they toss in a "free goodie" of sorts.

I have a store near me, and the prices are quite a bit higher.

originally - i was doing the "every other month" shipment, then went to 4 months, now to 5 months -- i just dont use it as fast as they were sending it, and i have a stock pile.

I LOVE the Bisque concealer (though i did have to get that at the store, IIRC) but it hides imperfections very nicely.

I also have the skin cleanser (Bought it with a coupon) and the Revver Upper or whatever they call the moisturizer... they are great.

I have to agree about the "Warmth" -- use very sparingly.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

groupgirlgroup wrote

Quoting:
I use other brands of minerals that do not contain some of the chemicals in Bare Minerals - they stung my skin and made it turn very red. So you may need to experiment with various brands until you find the brand suited to you.

When i first tried this product last June -- it was the same day i was going to a party that evening... and my skin itched to beat the band!! i washed it all off immediately and called the company, thinking it was an allergic reaction. The gal told me that it can be common, and it give it another "try" and let my skin "get used to" the minerals..... it has never happened to that extent again - but once in a blue moon if i put on the Mineral Veil first, i get a lil tingle on the skin... but that's it. YMMV.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, who knew???

Naperville, IL

I am using some of the new mineral powder foundations ...I like them, but I hate the mess they make!! No matter how careful I am, I have a film of fine powder all over my vanity that I have to wipe up every day!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You have to make sure you tap off the excess back into the container.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I had used bare minerals for years and love it! Very easy to use, flawless and actually fun to apply. However, I noticed that the older I got the more it tended to accent my wrinkles. I still have the bare minerals make-up but really don't use it now since I don't like the way it settles into every little crease and accents them. I have started using liquid foundations for older skin now. Wish the bare minerals worked for older skin... maybe I'll give it another try and have a look see on how it works. I really, really like the bare minerals products. I also noticed that when I did use it I had much clearer skin.

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

I am getting in kind of late on this one but oh well. I don't wear makeup unless I am going out. My neighbor does use the bare minerals though. I don't know if it is the age thing like stacysmom said or what since she is 40 something or bad application but she always looks cakey. I don't think it is the age thing come to think of it. She is teaching her daughter how to wear makeup and now that I think of it, she looks cakey when she wears it too.
Also, I would never spend that kind of money on makeup. After seeing many news reports on the topic and given that I used to drive a truck, I found out that most makeup comes from the same 'vat'. They simply package and price it different for different companies. I remember picking up at Loreal and taking some stuff to a discount store and some to a warehouse for a big name. Most of the stuff you get isn't much different from the cheap stuff. I think more importantly you need to know what works for you and how to put it on. So many women don't know how to put it on right. I am not trying to be negative but, I am constantly seeing women with the chin line from foundation, the surprised look with the eyebrows and faces that look like a painters pallet.

Tucson, AZ

LOL That "chin" line makes me crazy too! I really like this stuff alot. A little goes a long way and it lasts forever.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I only read the thread title but I saw this infomercial recently---seems interesting. Does it work?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tir,

I've been using it over a year now and love it.

I always hated makeup.... and once i hit 40, i thought to myself... i deserve to feel pretty/beautiful
I do not have the best complexion - and get some acne with the monthly hormone cycle... but this BareMinerals covers the imperfections very nicely.

some days i just wear a dusting of the mineral veil or a foundation, and other days i will wear a bit more -- if i need that extra coverage. it really really last a long time... at first i was getting the delivery every 2 months -- but after 6 months -- i noticed a small stock-pile. I think my last delivery was in March or so... and my next one in Nov... though i still dont think i will need any by then.

I do not have any of the 'make up' (eyes, lips, etc) though i do have 1 lipstick that i bought with my "birthday coupon" and really like it.

after using this foundation... I will NEVER wear a liquid foundation again.

when i look at the costs.... i will compare what i have spent on this make up that i really like, and the make up that I've disliked and is either still in my drawer or has been tossed.... to me, this has been more economical.
For some reason i still have not thrown out the MaryKay -- probably since it wasn't cheap... but i will never use it.

HTH

Terese

Tucson, AZ

Terese...you must try their eye brow stuff. It will last you the rest of your life. It comes with a niffty little brush and a mascarra like stuff that you apply after you do your brows and they will last all day, look natural until you wash it off. As I have said before, I wouldn't use anything else.

Thank-you, sounds like something I must try!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Terese, I don't know how she looks cakey with bare minerals unless she's using a shade that doesn't match her skin tone. It's meant to look natural and you shouldn't be able to tell she's wearing it.
Tir-it definitely is worth trying, it lasts forever and very easy to apply.

And if I just cleaned up my acne will it bring it on?

Tucson, AZ

NOOOOO...it is light and does not sink into the skin causing clogged pores and that other gunk...ewwwww. I live in the desert and this is the best and I am 50ish :-)
I am also a huge fan of 30 day money back gaurantee. I don't mind being out the postage for the chance to try something. I just wish I could that kind of gaurantee for some of the trades I've made. LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tir,

I'd have to say i do believe it has helped with my acne.

liquid foundations always clogged me, made my skin more oily... but not this stuff. as wineaux stated ...

Do give it a try -- you can always return it after the 30 days.... but as we've all stated... this stuff is great, i highly doubt you will be disappointed.

There is one of the lil stores at the mall that sells this, whether it's a B.E. or not, i can't recall.... but their prices are higher than the "club" pricing.

and with the "club" membership, you get a lil goodie every now and then. I know i was sent a "baby buki" brush and their cleanser.... which i LOVED, but it's not cheap. I only bought a the bottle [got the small bottle as a freebie -- and keep it at my vacation home] -- but i purchased the larger bottle [$32.00] with the B-day coupon i got in an email from the store.

OH and to get back to the other post about the eye brow makeup.... I just don't wear makeup really. eye liner, mascara, and lipstick. that's it. I have bangs, so my brows do not even show.

I just gave up foundations years ago even though I finally found the right shade for me (no chin lines!!!!). I think I might could try this though.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm 50 and LOVE this stuff! It really does last a very long time. I always hated liquids beause I felt they never matched my skin tone ( warm with freckes) I too despise the chin line of the caked into the hairline look. My 48 year old friend and 47 year old sister use it and love it too. My 21 year old daughter that has perfect and darker skin tones than me loves it also. I wonder if anyone has ever bought more than one "warmth" A little goes a very long way. As I've gotten older I really feel less is better. I don't feel I get the caked look or that in settles in wrinkles and I have my share of those! I prefer to call them "lifelines"
I find that liquid foundations and concealers settle much more.
Another tip for you all...Avon Anew clinical eye lift. My sister recommended to me and it's great!
A warning if you fall for informercials...The Cindy Crawford line is a giant rip off. The cleanser,moisturizer and night cream have "false bottoms" so it appears there's more product than there actually is. I hate misconception! I question why they feel the need to put the product in a container 3 times the size needed. So you think you're getting more than you are, that's why.
Again, love the bare minerals,
Susan

Susan,

Thanks for the warning on the Crawford line. So bogus! Sounds like I might should order some of this bare minerals. What if I order the wrong tone???

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

Tir_Na_Nong
I think they have a phone # you could call. I use medium beige. I think they have a money back guarantee. My neice in Colorado loves the "ProActiv" product for her acne and uses bare minerals cosmetics. It's very natural looking and you don't look "made up" I've seen some women my age and older that wear way too much make-up. To me it looks worse than nothing at all.
Good Luck,
Susan

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tir_,

when you go to their site
http://bareminerals.com/

click the [more] where it says Find Your Shade.
i think it's pretty flawless in choosing colors... i too am medium.
you get 2 shades for your skin color; one lighter than the other
so you get a pretty perfect match.

Weedville, PA(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to join in on the fun here!

For anyone who wants to try a mineral foundation but doesn't want to fork out the $60 (or doesn't have a place nearby to get a makeover...like me) L'Oreal Bare Naturales run around $13 at Wal-Mart. I decided to try the L'Oreal before buying the BE and ended up sticking with it. I think it's very similar. They make a blush (warmth?) also that lasts forever. A lot of different companies are coming out with mineral makeups now, including eye makeup. I picked up a Nuetrogena minerals eye shadow pack and I just love it...I think it's going to last me about 10 years!

One thing about mineral foundations looking cakey or settling into wrinkles...you can apply too much and it *will* begin to look thick/greasy like. It's not like applying powder over liquid foundation, you don't need that much. Another thing that's very important is that your skin is exfoliated. The buffing will bring up those dead skin cells!

I've also noticed the stinging sensation...although I'm using a different brand I thought I'd mention it. I've noticed it most when it's hot and dry, when I apply the foundation when I'm sweating, and when I don't use a good moisturizer. I think it's happened to me a total of about 4 or 5 times and I've been using this for about 6-7 months now. If it had happened w/ my first use it would have turned me off too, but try it again sometime and don't buff too hard w/ the brush.

BTW, I used to sell MK. Go ahead and throw it out. You have my permission! ROTFLOL!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.