Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beauty and Fashion Tips: What'd You Do With Your Wedding Dress?

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 32, Views: 294
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3281515

For lack of a better forum to put this in...it's here...under the "fashion" part. I've noticed wedding dresses for sale on Craig's List (online ads) and it's funny to me when people say, "only worn once." Well I would think so? But wondered if some would think it bad luck to wear someone else's dress. So it got me thinking how I couldn't bear part with mine...but then again...it is only taking up space. So what have you done with your dress????

I in no way intend to "save it for my daughter" as I am sure styles will be much different by then. But it was always the intent my Mom had for me, though when it came down to it she was fine with me having my own dress, realizing herself that after decades of sitting in the closet it was no longer in good condition.

I have mine in a preservation box that is very nice but still...
gillibean
Cardiff, ON
(Zone 4a)

March 15, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3282120

I've always thought that the 'only worn once' lines were a little funny too.

I wore my mom's wedding dress and it's now hanging in one of our closets. I was the only one of the four girls who wanted to wear it (or fit in it). I plan on keeping it - just in case one of my daughters (or neices) wants to wear it. I don't think I could bear to cut it up since it was my mom's, and it is a really nice dress. My mom had good taste. I guess I should probably do something to keep it well preserved though.

One of my friend's had a really good idea for hers. She had it made into a baptism dress that each of her daughters wore when they were baptised. They each received an handkerchief made from the material as a personal keepsake. She also had something made for each of her sons but I can't remember what, perhaps an handkerchief or a tie.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3283166

Oh wow that is a beautiful idea gillibean, thanks for sharing!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2007
5:18 AM

Post #3283191

Mine's in the attic I really should go get it cleaned and preserved. I do have a daughter whose 7 months old, who knows what the styles will be in 25 years or so???
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3283528

I know for us the styles might not be modest enough anymore! I don't like the trend to incorporate color into the dress. I think the whole wedding "tradition" is what makes it special.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3285422

Wondering...should I sell mine???

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/clo/294513239.html

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 15, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3285427

When my grandmother passed away, my Mom took all of her old dresses and made my brother and I a quilt out of them. I am wondering if this idea would work with wedding dresses? Incorporate the material into a quilt...either full size or a tiny one for new babies???
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3285444

It was a long time ago now, but I actually sold my dress to a friend of mine who had attended my wedding and fell in love with it. It was kinda neat to watch it coming down the Isle...again... on my friend.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3286081

don,

nice idea!
forcingflowers
Grifton, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2007
8:52 AM

Post #3286936

Mine is preserved in a case.Of course that was from husband #1...Anybody interested in an ivory chantilly lace bridal gown????Second time got married on the beach...Still use the capri pants and bustier...Size 3 wedding gown,going for sale...
HD
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
9:59 AM

Post #3287419

LOL on the dress for sale!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2007
10:09 AM

Post #3287451

A friend of mine made the most beautiful Christmas Tree skirt our of her #1 wedding dress.

Judy
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3288221

WOW. I'd love to see that! I bet that is phenomenal!
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3288233

I'm giving mine (from my first marriage) to a friend who is getting married and is on a budget.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3288250

What a sweet idea.

I had a friend offer me hers but once she got it out and looked at it she said I needed my own special dress. She ended up offering to help make one (pricing it made it more expensive than buying commercially made though) and then she helped me alter it to be more modest for my taste.
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3907341

I've thought about making a Christmas tree skirt out of mine, and use the top half as lingerie, but haven't been able to yet.
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3907355

tir where do you come up with these ideas for topics? i had to laugh...worn only once ...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3907528

deb, those ideas would be brilliant!!!!!!! LOVE the skirt idea!!!!! since the dress is already in the perfect shape to be one!

sticks--hehe, thats me for ya :)
Donna_M

(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3911619

When I took my dress in to the thrift store here the staff were very pleased... there's a lot of demand. It would be sad for someone to be denied their wedding dream just because of economics. I must admit tho', if I'd thought of the Christening shawl idea before giving the dress away, might've had second thoughts. But the dress was gone from the thrift store within an hour of its being put on the rack so hopefully someone used it to make their wedding a wee bit more special!

Donna
Chris_M
Ankeny, IA

October 14, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4079897

I can't describe my wedding dress as "worn only once" because it was worn 3 times. Several years after I was married my cousin wore the dress and then several years after that my sister wore it. Unfortunately it suffered a red wine accident and we didn't anticipate another bride so when my own daughter married we cut from the skirt and made a beautiful purse for her to carry. We did the same for my cousin's daughter and each time tucked a picture of mom in "the dress". We've also made ring bearer pillows for the boys, tissue holders to attach to bouquets and christening caps and baby quilts for the grandkids. The dress has been well loved and we each now have a book called "the dress" with pictures of each bride and the other treasure the dress became. The bodice is now preserved in a shadow box. Good luck with your dress.
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4079958

what a nice story - too bad for the wine stain, but how nice to do so much with your dress
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #4079987

Chris,

That is wonderful!!!!! A shadow box idea is exactly the idea I was thinking to go...
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

October 28, 2007
5:12 PM

Post #4132319

Since we're on the subject of wedding dresses, there is a new reality show called, "Say Yes to the Dress (wedding dress)."
girlgroupgirl

December 3, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #4255305

My wedding dress is hanging in the closet, I'm hoping to wear it again soon!!

My dress was a mini-dress I made myself out of all fabrics that were given to me, it looks like an original 60's dress. I would love to wear it for my 15th wedding anniversary!

GGG
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #4256435

GGG, how romantic!
PudgyMudpies

(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4487028

I wore my mothers dress, works out well because she just continues to store it. LOL The baptism gown is a clever idea!
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4562177

I would have worn my mother's wedding dress if she'd still had it when I married. I love that tradition (but would have it re-worked if the styling was just plain *off*, lol).

Mine is in a storage bag in my closet. LOL, and I don't even have children, nor do I intend to. I'm just too sentimental to get rid of something like that. I could never sell it. I would consider making napkins or something useful out of it though, I suppose ...
Kaylee01
London
United Kingdom

March 10, 2010
12:53 AM

Post #7617882

It will probably hang in my closet for a few years until I can cope with the fact that I will never get to wear it again! lol I'm not quite a pack rat, but I have a habit of saving clothing and items that I love just to look at them every once in a while - even if I will never use them again.

But after that, I plan to make it into some family heirlooms. I am for sure going to make a quilt, either just using the dress, or slowly creating it through the years from pieces of my wedding dress, and maternity clothing and baby clothes when I have children.

My mother saved her wedding dress too. However, she didn't save it with the intention of me wearing it at my own wedding. She saved it for me to wear for playing dress up, and for Halloween. http://www.nexteve.com/

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7618658

I thought the link might be an online album of you in the dress for Halloween :)

What is the link about?
BeckettR1234
San Francisco, CA

September 30, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9291658

I found one interesting tips on wedding dress : http://www.gownsexpress.com/blog/information-on-wedding-gown.html
This tips includes tips from purchasing of wedding gowns till caring after wedding .
lilyren
Van Nuys, CA

January 5, 2014
5:25 PM

Post #9741109

I like wearing dress in my daily life and want to own an evening dress too.Besides i always pay attention to the hair styles and i prefer to make changeable hair styles with cheap synthetic wigs which can be got from http://www.hairwigsall.com/categories/Synthetic-Wigs/
Cherry08
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2014
5:13 PM

Post #9794142

Hi lilyren, you're very fashionable and gorgeous as I read your comment. That's so fantastic, you'ae very elegant and conscious about your looks. I also suggest that you use fuss free facial masks that will complete your beauty secret from head to toe. Perfect, women are great and elegant with supple and radiant skin.
rmpbklyn
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2014
11:52 AM

Post #9867795

some people make quilt to hang on wall with swatches from dress, a great way to display and yet save, great idea for an anniversary.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America