Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Peat Pots

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3282146

hey all- I am starting some planting today, with seeds. I've always just used cell flats or a pan to start seeds in, but this year I got some peat pellets (Just had to complicate what always works for me LOL). My question is pretty basic- do I put one, two or three seeds in each one? I grow a mean garden, but I've never used peat pellets before. Thanks in advance :-)
Samantha
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3283098

Hey Samantha...
Don't know the answer but I wish you well with your flowers!
Hope the weather is warming up nicely in Philly...GO EAGLES!!!!!
Pinger

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3283738

Depends on what kind of seeds that you're using...if whatever it is usually germinates well for you, then just use one or two...You'll cut off the extras when they germinate anyway. There should only be one growing seedling per cell.

Some peat pellets have a netting around them to keep everything in place...you'll need to tear it off when you set them out or it will never decompose...ever.

If you've used the cell system in the past and had good success, you're an experienced seed starter and should be able to handle the peat stuff just fine...it's harder to keep mold down and proper hydration in these things though...

I prefer the cells with my own seed starting mix.

Some folks swear by the peat pellets...some swear at them...I'm in the latter group.
klumaro
Parkville, MD

March 15, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3283742

I just got one of those big containers of like 50 peat pellets. For larger seeds (snap dragons) I used 1 seed per pellet. For smaller seeds (wild flowers) I used 2-3 per pellet. I planted the seeds Sunday and the snap dragons are already starting to come up!
I got another one and am going to start my veggies in this one. Good Luck!
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3284207

Thanks for the tips Melody :-)
I have only ever used the 72 cell trays with starting mix, or those cheap two inch deep baking pans for furrow-type plants and they've always worked- but we all know in gardening we occasionally wonder if the garden might be greener on the other side!
I'm gonna do my usual pot up into small pots when the seedlings get their leaves and then it'll be on to their planters or 1-2 gallon pots outside after that (All I have is a roof deck to garden on)- and I'm a cautious person, so I saved some of what I put into the peat pellets (Datura, Cosmos, Nigella, Morning Glories and Moonflower) just in case the peat is a flop.
The rest of my stuff I'm just doing my normal way- since I already have all the seed starting gear from last year.
Had to try the peat pellets though- we'll see if I end up being one who swears by or swears at :-)
Keep 'em green!
Samantha

This message was edited Mar 15, 2007 11:43 AM

This message was edited Mar 15, 2007 11:44 AM
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3284217

Klumaro-
Thanks as well, and best of luck with your flowers and vegetables! Sounds like your snapdragons are raring to go :-) Nothing like eager seeds!!
Off to spend my day seeding...
Samantha
goldeneagleone
Smyrna, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3284231

You will be surprised how much water it takes to hydrate them. Water the bottom of the pan, let it stand, and add water as long as it is still absorbing. My first try I was adding water to the tops, and I was washing the peat out of the pellet, and it never fully expanded.
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3341807

I use the 72 cell packs too. I use HOT TAP water to hydrate them to keep the soil warm while I place my seeds. By the time my seeds are placed on the pellets and ready to pushed underneath, the soil has cooled down enough to just be warm. I always plant 3 seeds per pellet unless they are Large seeds and then I use 2 seeds. Also, for certain vendors I only use 2 seeds because I know germination is going to be good ( Sandhill Preservation for example). For seed sources that I don't know as well, but are decent sources, I put in 3 seeds. That way if germination is terrible, I will just post it in Watchdog, but if germination is good, then I will be happy with using the 3 seeds per pellet. After I push in all my seeds, I add more hot water to the sides of the tray and absorb as much as possible my turning the tray in different directions and dumping any excess after about 6 minutes. I find that I don't need to add water for at least two weeks this way. Hope this is a bit helpful to you and I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Megan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America