Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Fruit: Cuttings from Old Apple Tree

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 4, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

March 15, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3284618

Does anyone have experience with taking cuttings from apple trees?
My grandmother's very old (unidentified variety) apple tree is on its way out. My dad would desperately love to save it, but I think its about done for, the bark started peeling up and flaking off one side of the main trunk over the winter. I am hoping it has enough life left in it to get some cuttings from, won't really know until things start leafing out. I was hoping to be able to root cuttings, but I've Googled extensively and the only methods I can find mentioned of propagating fruit trees are by grafts. I don't even know where to begin to look for grafting stock, or if I should attempt this myself.

Anyone have suggestions, tips?
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3285354

Raintree Nursery sells rootstock to graft onto and other supplies.
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=ROOT

I've never grafted and I imagine it takes a bit of practice, but who knows, you may luck out and get some to start.

Jeff
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 15, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3285368

Are there any apple orchards near you? Someone that has one might be willing to help you.
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

March 16, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #3287941

Thanks for the link to Raintree! I'll have to contact them later, after determining if there are any cuttings worth taking off the poor old thing. I see they even let you mail them the scion wood and they'll do the graft for you. I never even thought of calling the local orchard! Stupid me, I'll have to make a stop by there and see if anyone can lend me advice. I'd still like to try rooting cuttings, most of the grafting stock I see available is for creating dwarf trees, or ones that need support. I want to try to maintain the original look of this heirloom tree.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3288608

wildgardengirl...

There is a man a few cities over well-known for preserving heirloom apple trees. I'm sure he can give you great advice and guidance.

Should you want to contact him please feel free to dmail me for his contact info. (He has no email so you'd have to snail mail him or telephone.)

Shoe

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM
cherry and pear problems rubia16 3 Jul 1, 2007 7:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America